PDA

View Full Version : anyone else see pink floyd's set?

ghettochild
07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
in the live8?

omgggg that was sweet.

PINK IS BACK :beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

pedro
07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
It was excellent. we were talking about it in first game thread.

TeamCasey
07-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Beautiful.

Sweetstop
07-02-2005, 11:53 PM
The old guys have still got it. My grown son, who heard me listening to them often enough when he was a tot, called me this afternoon to tell me, "Pink Floyd's back, Mom. You'd better turn on the tv." The Who rocked also, and Annie Lennox's 'Why' was beautiful and poignant.

GAC
07-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Darn good. Until the stupid DJ's cut in on Comfortably Numb.

RFS62
07-03-2005, 08:14 AM
The old guys have still got it. My grown son, who heard me listening to them often enough when he was a tot, called me this afternoon to tell me, "Pink Floyd's back, Mom. You'd better turn on the tv." The Who rocked also, and Annie Lennox's 'Why' was beautiful and poignant.

Man, I can't believe I missed this. I love Floyd, the Who and Annie Lennox too.

What channel was it on? Are they going to replay it?

ghettochild
07-03-2005, 09:24 AM
you will probably see it everywhere lol, i'm sure i could find it for you

Sweetstop
07-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Man, I can't believe I missed this. I love Floyd, the Who and Annie Lennox too.

What channel was it on? Are they going to replay it?

It was on MTV and VH1 live during the day, then ABC had some highlights in the evening. I have no idea if it will be replayed. I hope it did some good and gooses the G8 leaders into some strong action.

Reds Fanatic
07-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Floyd was absolutely awesome last night. I just heard their set again on XM this morning. AOL music is rebroadcasting the concert right now. They are in the middle of the concert now so you should be able to see the Pink Floyd performance later this morning. You can see it here:

http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now

Mutaman
07-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Hate to cast a dissenting vote, but from what I saw (except for Green Day), the music was boring ,I've seen it all before. Nothing new, nothing exciting, no imagination. Im as big a fan of the Who as the next guy, and I certainly don't think age has anything to do with the ability to make good music, but come on Pete, you guys are just embarrassing yourselves. I guess I'm just not into "Arena Rock". And the MTV commentators? Spare me.

ghettochild
07-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Hate to cast a dissenting vote, but from what I saw (except for Green Day), the music was boring ,I've seen it all before. Nothing new, nothing exciting, no imagination. Im as big a fan of the Who as the next guy, and I certainly don't think age has anything to do with the ability to make good music, but come on Pete, you guys are just embarrassing yourselves. I guess I'm just not into "Arena Rock". And the MTV commentators? Spare me.

the who are really good live.

if you think green day was the best preformance there, then i don't know what to say.

pink floyd definatly stole the show

CincyFlip
07-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Wow, Pink Floyd was amazing. They were truly flawless, and they definitely did steal the show.

NJReds
07-03-2005, 02:41 PM

if you think green day was the best preformance there, then i don't know what to say.

I'm not a huge Floyd fan, but their set was impressive. They sounded great. Stevie Wonder did an excellent job, also.

I only saw Green Day's version of "We are the Champions" and it sounded horrible, IMO.

Mutaman
07-03-2005, 04:28 PM

No, the Who used to be a great live band, maybe the best ever. Now they're just a bunch of old foggies palying their hits note for note.

I can't say much about Pink Floyd because MTV kept cutting away from their set so their idiotic hosts could say something inane.

I liked Green Day because they actually tried to do something different. I guess I'm one of those guys who likes bands who don't ever play a song the same way twice.

Michael Allred
07-03-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm not a huge Floyd fan, but their set was impressive. They sounded great. Stevie Wonder did an excellent job, also.

I only saw Green Day's version of "We are the Champions" and it sounded horrible, IMO.

What was so bad about GD's cover of "Champions"? It was a pretty faithful rendition and being a huge Queen fan, I thought it was pretty cool. One of their backing guitarists even had a Brian May replica guitar!

It's a shame that Queen + Paul Rodgers weren't available to perform (they were in Spain on tour.) Since Queen was the best band of Live Aid, it woulda been nice to see them come back for Live 8.

Mutaman
07-03-2005, 05:22 PM
What was so bad about GD's cover of "Champions"? It was a pretty faithful rendition and being a huge Queen fan, I thought it was pretty cool. One of their backing guitarists even had a Brian May replica guitar!

It's a shame that Queen + Paul Rodgers weren't available to perform (they were in Spain on tour.) Since Queen was the best band of Live Aid, it woulda been nice to see them come back for Live 8.

I'm not a big Queen fan but they were the hit of the 85 concert. Nice to see Green Day show a little sense of history. Dylan suposedly did the same thing last night at a concert in Arkansas, when he played "Ballad of Hollis Brown", the song he, Keith, and Ron Woods messed up so badly at Live Aid.

jhiller21
07-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Devistated that I missed this. I'm a huge Floyd fan, and would have loved to see the old boys playing again. What did they play?

Reds Fanatic
07-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Devistated that I missed this. I'm a huge Floyd fan, and would have loved to see the old boys playing again. What did they play? Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb

Michael Allred
07-05-2005, 01:58 AM
There's always the DVD release...(for those that missed Floyd.)

bomarl1969
07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I love Pink Floyd! Man I wish they would come to America and tour. I would travel all the way to D.C. and pay $200.00 just to see them.

Aceking
07-05-2005, 12:39 PM
You can watch the whole performance online. Check this out:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/popculture/

Also, check out this guy agreed with you on MTV cutting away during Comfortably Numb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5595073340&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Michael Allred
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Bad news about the Live 8 DVD release......

from www.thedigitalbits.com

First of all, there's good news and bad news about the release of the weekend's Live 8 event on DVD. EMI has officially obtained the DVD release rights to the biggest ever live concert event, and they'll be releasing it on disc in November. That's the good news. The bad news, unfortunately, is that they plan to tailor each DVD release to the country they're releasing it in... meaning that the U.S. DVD will include more of the Philadelphia concert than anything else, the UK release will include more of the London concert than anything else, etc. Personally, as a music fan, I want EVERYTHING! EVERY performance from EVERY Live 8 concert, not just highlights selected by some record company marketing flak. There ought to be one mega-badass ultimate box set that you can buy to get it all. Then, if EMI wants to sell single or double-disc 'highlights' sets, great. I don't know about you, but watching Live 8 on VH1 and MTV was an unbelievably frustrating experience. You'd just get into a performance, and then they'd cut away to barely-out-of-their-teens VJs bantering inanely with each other or with people in the crowd thusly:

Young Hot Babe VJ: "So what brought you here to Live 8 in Philly today?"

Drunk Dude in Crowd: "Live 8 is awesome, man! Bon Jovi rocks! And like... Africa, man! It's all about the poverty! Wooooooooo!!"

Young Hot Babe VJ: "Right on! Okay, now here's thirty seconds of Elton John from earlier in London..."

jhiller21
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Thank you for that link Aceking, they were fantastic :thumbup:

GAC
07-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes. Thanks Aceking. Good to see them again.

Watching the ending though, i couls still sense some animosity between Gilmore and Waters when Waters had to wave Gilmore over for the group farewell. I kinda sensed some apprehension on David's part. I really don't think we'll ever see a reunion IMO. But it was good to see them during this stint.

ghettochild
10-01-2005, 10:15 PM
*BUMP*

i just downloaded the set, uploaded it for all to relive.

clicky (http://www.wampa.tngamer.com/ghetto/PINK%20FLOYD%20-%20LIVE%208%20(07-02-2005).wmv)

if anyone would mirror this please feel free to

Sham
10-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks Ghetto, that was awesome.