PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and the Army

GriffeyFan
07-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I know...two things that you normally wouldn't group together. I just have to get this off my chest because it's been ticking me off all day. Every time I go to a story off ESPN's main page today, I get a stupid Army pop up add. For example, I would go to the scoreboard page and get the ad. Go to a particular game page, get the ad. Go back to the scoreboard page, get the ad.

It's annoying as hell. This normally doesn't happen, so the Army must have paid a nice fee to get that popup ad to come up every time. I do have a popup blocker, but this ad keeps slipping by.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, I can go on.

RBA
07-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I just tried ESPN out. Althou I have pop up blockers thru Google Tool bar, I removed the feature to see what would happen. No pop ups came up for me, and I tried going all over the site. Maybe the Army used their allotment of pop ups on you? ;)

Unassisted
07-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Maybe you're getting them because you're registered at ESPN.com and in the target age for Army recruits? Sign up for a new account there with a birthdate in 1925 and I bet your popup problems there will be over. ;)

red-in-la
07-04-2005, 12:13 AM
GF, your ad is probably being driven by a cookie on your system. Go into the Options in your Browser and delete internet content....some browser have an option to also delete cookies.

LvJ
07-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Alright. :dunno:

KittyDuran
07-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Maybe you're getting them because you're registered at ESPN.com and in the target age for Army recruits? Sign up for a new account there with a birthdate in 1925 and I bet your popup problems there will be over. ;)That might be it - I have no popup blocker - so I got 3 popups [Amex, Orbitz and something else that I can't remember]. And I'm registered with ESPN as well - 46 year old female.

Yachtzee
07-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I keep getting the Army pop-ups too. It looks like the ads are flash driven, so I'm wondering if that is what allows the ads to circumvent the pop-up blocker. I'm a little behind on the latest browser tech, if someone wants to enlighten me.