PDA

View Full Version : The Historian

Crash Davis
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Anybody check out this new book by Elizabeth Kostova?

She received an exorbitant advance for this latest in the line of historical novels. It's been compared to The DaVinci Code in some circles.

I'm about 250 pages into it now (out of 642 total), and I'm not crazy about it yet. In many ways, The DaVinci Code was a more believable story. It was also more of a page turner than this one. My problem with DaVinci was the ending. The first 400+ pages were riveting.

This isn't a book that I won't finish, but I just can't get as excited about it as I hoped to. Maybe it's the subject matter. The geography and history of Eastern Europe are great, but how do you pull off suspension of disbelief in a story revolving around Dracula? Or maybe it will get much better as the story unfolds.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316011770/qid=1120583049/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-1947281-0528044

Jaycint
07-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Crash, this looks like it's right up my alley.

jmcclain19
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Crash, I saw this the other day on the new rack at B&N.

I typically read history and non-fiction stuff, while my better half reads strictly science fiction and horror books, so when I stumbled across that one I put it in the back of my brain to remember, because I thought it was one of those rare books that we both would equally enjoy.

Turns out a friend of hers had bought it and didn't like it, so she let her borrow it. My better half told me just this morning that she was growing wearing of it already, saying it was trying too hard to be "davinci-esq". She said the story is a big stretch, and this is coming from someone who reads fiction like this all the time.

I haven't read it, but color me unimpressed so far. I still plan on cracking it open, so when I do I'll come back and put my thoughts down, but the first returns are less than impressive.

Crash Davis
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Bumping to see if anybody has read this lately...

My girlfriend recently picked it off our shelves and read it. She was more engrossed than I had been, but she thought the author's use of the language was embarrassingly effeminate at times.

Any other opinions?