PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your name?

traderumor
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I know not very many of us are on first name's basis, and some of that is to protect the guilty ;) , but I am just so glad I have a cool name, at least I think it is. I won't give a list of what I consider names I'm glad I don't have to keep from offending anyone, but I am so glad my mom avoided certain Christian names.

Ok, I am male, and my first name is Cary. Of course its not without its problems, like misspellings (Carey, Kerry, just to name a few), mistaken for other more common male names (Corey, Harry, Jerry, Gary), and yes, I have gotten made fun of for having a "girl's name." And it rhymes with fairy, which also left me as the butt of a few jokes. But nothing like the problems Jerry Seinfeld claims to have had with "Jerry Jerry Dingleberry" and "Seinsmelled." One time, I had a great combo name with my ex-bro in law, whose nickname was "Cash" for the first initial and his last name, and together we were "Cash and Cary". Pretty cool pun, eh? Too bad we weren't a home run duo :)

As another part of this, I also was thinking of a name I would prefer other than my own, I've always thought Jeremiah was a cool name.

Anyone else given this one some thought?

KronoRed
07-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I used to loath it, Matt is used really well with lots of fun insults from kids, but I've gotten to like it, Matt's rock, it's also a good short name, nobody hears it wrong and only the occasional one T issue keeps it from being perfect

:)

traderumor
07-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Matt is a very cool name. One of my twin's middle name is Matthew, which he only gets called when he is in trouble ;)

KronoRed
07-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah I got Matthew when I was in trouble too, real quiet like..made me wanna run for the hills ;)

jhiller21
07-05-2005, 06:08 PM
My name (John) is too common for anyone to have made fun of it. I don't really like the name, but I am the fifth consecutive John, all the way down to my great-great-great grandfather, so I suppose that's kinda cool.

Johnny Footstool
07-05-2005, 06:08 PM
John is cool, unless someone spells it "Jon" or tries to call me "Jonathan." Then trouble starts.

I've also seen some folks try to spell it "Jonh." *shudder*

rdiersin
07-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah I got Matthew when I was in trouble too, real quiet like..made me wanna run for the hills ;)

I always got Ronald when I was in trouble and when I was made fun of. It was my first and middle names when I got in trouble, and Ronald McDonald to be made fun of, but that could be worse, so I can't complain.

traderumor
07-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Tried to talk the wife into Johnny for our last born if she was a he, but she was a she, so it didn't matter :)

jhiller21
07-05-2005, 06:12 PM
John is cool, unless someone spells it "Jon" or tries to call me "Jonathan." Then trouble starts.

The "Jon" spelling bugs me as well, I remember trying to switch to "Johnny" when I was younger, but it never stuck.

traderumor
07-05-2005, 06:12 PM
My middle name is Thomas, have considered going with "C. Thomas" to go with my sophisticated personality ;)

traderumor
07-05-2005, 06:14 PM
The "Jon" spelling bugs me as well, I remember trying to switch to "Johnny" when I was younger, but it never stuck.What about Jhonny, as in Peralta :barf:

jhiller21
07-05-2005, 06:18 PM
What about Jhonny, as in Peralta :barf:

Strange spelling. What's Peralta's nationality? Wouldn't it be pronounced "Honny"? :)

TeamCasey
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
"Team" is cool because it's all about togetherness and stuff.

HotCorner
07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I used to loath it, Matt is used really well with lots of fun insults from kids, but I've gotten to like it, Matt's rock, it's also a good short name, nobody hears it wrong and only the occasional one T issue keeps it from being perfect

:thumbup:

jmcclain19
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I have a kind of a weird quirk with names.

The only people on this earth that calls me Joshua, is my mother in a fit of angry rage when I was growing up, and my grandmother on my mom's side, who's called me that since the day I was born and I'm sure will continue to do so for the rest of her life.

If you're not either of the above two people and call me that, I'm irritated, and I'll explain why. I have no problems with people calling me "Mr." because most of the time, it's in a professional fashion, where I'm having services performed or paying/getting money or something in a business fashion. In those types of situations, I'll introduce myself as "Josh" and I'm perfectly fine working at that more informal level.
If someone keeps calling me "Mr." I'll correct them, but I appreciate the effort at starting on the correct foot.

However, if you jump straight to calling me "Joshua", it means you don't know me, and have already jumped into an informal relationship with me without asking.

Like at stores where the clerk already has my card in hand, and asks me "Joshua would you like to sign up for our X" and I'm already not happy about it and you haven't won any brownie points on getting me to do whatever it is you want me to do.

Maybe I'm just a crank, and put more stock into it than I should, but that formality in our society seems to have just disappeared. We're all "buds" and "pals".

I'm a pretty informal guy 99% of the time. Except with that, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

That bug anyone else?

Coffeybro
07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
My first name is pretty hard to make fun of. But Coffey on the other hand.. :rolleyes: I'm sure all of you can make about 10 off the top of your heads.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2005, 07:21 PM
If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say his or her name is or has been the source of ridicule, I'd have $10 and some change.

SunDeck
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
My middle name is Thomas, have considered going with "C. Thomas" to go with my sophisticated personality ;)

My brother's middle name is Thomas. He did that for a while- it was way cool.
My name is just solid- Steven. Named after the first martyr. Not sure what my parents were getting at there. I never use the full name though because it sounds like something I'm not, tall.
I also never thought it was a particularly cool name until my wife told me that my name fits me perfectly; grounded, reliable, just Steve. Those are her words, obviously under the influence of something at the time. But I'm runnin' with it.

We gave our kids names with the expressed intent on them having options that would be cool. Both have names that can be short or long, fun or serious. Whichever they choose.

07-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't mind my name. My brother hates his thjough. It is 919192.

KronoRed
07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't mind my name. My brother hates his thjough. It is 919192.
What were your parents names?

Just wondering ;)

RFS62
07-05-2005, 07:38 PM
My first name is Cujo, so I don't usually get a lot of crap.

SunDeck
07-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a kind of a weird quirk with names.

The only people on this earth that calls me Joshua, is my mother in a fit of angry rage when I was growing up, and my grandmother on my mom's side, who's called me that since the day I was born and I'm sure will continue to do so for the rest of her life.

If you're not either of the above two people and call me that, I'm irritated, and I'll explain why. I have no problems with people calling me "Mr." because most of the time, it's in a professional fashion, where I'm having services performed or paying/getting money or something in a business fashion. In those types of situations, I'll introduce myself as "Josh" and I'm perfectly fine working at that more informal level.
If someone keeps calling me "Mr." I'll correct them, but I appreciate the effort at starting on the correct foot.

However, if you jump straight to calling me "Joshua", it means you don't know me, and have already jumped into an informal relationship with me without asking.

Like at stores where the clerk already has my card in hand, and asks me "Joshua would you like to sign up for our X" and I'm already not happy about it and you haven't won any brownie points on getting me to do whatever it is you want me to do.

Maybe I'm just a crank, and put more stock into it than I should, but that formality in our society seems to have just disappeared. We're all "buds" and "pals".

I'm a pretty informal guy 99% of the time. Except with that, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

That bug anyone else?

I used to manage a branch library in the West End. 97% African American. I learned quickly that "Mr." or "Mrs." was the way to addresss adults and that it would be offensive to use someone's first name without knowing them fairly well. I am not sure if the bar was higher for me because I was a white guy in a largely black neighborhood, but people definitely responded to me when I addressed them correctly. That has always stuck with me and I prefer that my kids address people more formally to show respect.

KittyDuran
07-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Can't say that I'm unhappy with my name, except that's it's pretty common, I've known at least 10 women with my full name. First name (formal) is Catherine - and it's on everything, from checks to mail orders to doctor visits, etc.. But I go by Cathy or Cath. When I was in school I'd get pretty upset if someone spelled my name with a "K", doesn't bother me now, tho' I thank the person who gets it spelled right the first time. When younger I tried spelling my name [shorten] differently, e.g. Cathi, Cathie. My parents did not give me or my sisters middle names because they felt that our names were already too long. Parents' names are: James Marvin and Helen Catherine. My Dad has since dropped the James. I'm the 4th generation Catherine - the others are my Mom, my great aunt [China Catherine] and my great grandmother [Selena Catherine, who went by Katie - who was married to a Tyra]. My sisters' names are: Claudette, Fredricka [Freddi] and Kimberly [Kim]. My parents never called us by our full names, except for Claudette-can't really shorten her name-when they were mad. I'm really the only daughter that has a true family name - my older sister Claudette was born in 1949 and that name, along with other "ettes" were common - but my Mom's version is that it's a combination of her parents' names, Claude and Rosetta (who was called Ette). Freddi was named after the queen of Greece at the time (1953) but the hospital in CA got it wrong, should have been Fredericka. Everyone thought that my little sister Kim was going to be a boy, so she did not have a girls name. The boys name would have been Timothy Marvin. After the delivery, the ob-gyn asked my Mom what will you name your new daughter, she thought what rhymes with "Tim"? Viola!

The name Kitty was used only once in high school when they were other Cathys. So when the Internet came along, the name was easy to remember and not that far from my true name.

UKFlounder
07-05-2005, 09:54 PM
My name is Richard, which is fine with me, but my family always has called me "Dick" or "Dickie"

However, once I went to middle school, I was honestly afraid of people making fun of my name, so when teachers called the roll at the start of the school year and said "let me know if you go by anything else" I just remained quiet & let "Richard" go.

I think it might have confused some of the people who had gone to elementary school, and even today, if my family ever meets anybody I work with, it's a bit weird, as I'm Richard at work and still the shortened version at home.

Sometimes I wish I had never let myself be so paranoid about the possibility of kids making fun of my name and regret that I did, but that's history now.

(But sometimes, it almost feels like I'm leading 2 lives, with a different name for each. :)

RedsBaron
07-05-2005, 09:55 PM

My legal name if Randall, but nobody who knows me calls me that. If you are on a first name basis with me, it's Randy. If I get a sales phone call from someone pretending to know me who calls me Randall, there will be no sale. It's really a total giveaway of the caller. If I hear "Hello Randall" I know the caller doesn't know me at all.

WVRed
07-05-2005, 10:02 PM
My name is Richard

Your last name isnt "Hand" is it? ;) :help:

RosieRed
07-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I have no complaints about my name. :)

Johnny Vander m
07-05-2005, 10:32 PM
My first name is Don and I am so glad, very glad that my Mom and Dad named me that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because everyone calls me that.

alex trevino
07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
interesting question...I have no problem with my first name but has often wondered how B.J. Surhoff feels about his :-)

UKFlounder
07-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Your last name isnt "Hand" is it? ;) :help:

Nope. :)

(And it's not Head or Cranium or anything like that either. ;)

alex trevino
07-05-2005, 10:43 PM
whatever happened to richard hand? Is he the dude that had that newsletter or whatever?

Super_Barry11
07-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Kristin is a pretty name... My sister's name was Lauren, and I think that's a nice name too, so I guess my mom did a decent job picking out names. Kristin Elizabeth and Lauren Melissa. :)

When I was a freshman in high school, I decided out of nowhere one day that my name should be Allison. So I instructed everyone to call me Allison. :laugh: It worked for a couple days, then faded out. My softball coach couldn't quite get used to it. :laugh:

I'm so weird sometimes. ;)

(If I had been a boy, my father wanted me to be William Edward IV. My mom wanted Kyle William. Just a slight difference there!!!) :p:

Red in Chicago
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
my name is tony...been called tony spumoni, tony macaroni, tony baloney (yes, i know it's bologna)...you get the drift...

it's a good name for an italian kid like me :beerme:

cincinnati chili
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Like my name a lot. I was surprised and disturbed to see that it moved into the 100 most popular baby names for 2004 (#91) (http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi). I prefer to have a unique name. My wife and I intend to pick the most unique yet dignified names we can think of, when we finally decide to lose our virginity and make babies.

SandyD
07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
My cousin entered fatherhood when he was almost 50. Had a son, and they named him George. Like his father, my cousin, and his father, my uncle before him. So, the youngest George was George III.

When cousin George was little, the family referred to him as Little George as opposed to his father, my uncle "Big George." So, the "littlest" George was called "Baby George" or "B. G." for short. When B. G. got to be about 9, someone asked him what it stood for, and he did not know. He was NOT HAPPY when he found out.

My name is properly "Sandra." But please don't call me that. "Sandy" is just fine, thank you.

KittyDuran
07-06-2005, 12:09 AM
My cousin entered fatherhood when he was almost 50. Had a son, and they named him George. Like his father, my cousin, and his father, my uncle before him. So, the youngest George was George III.

When cousin George was little, the family referred to him as Little George as opposed to his father, my uncle "Big George." So, the "littlest" George was called "Baby George" or "B. G." for short. When B. G. got to be about 9, someone asked him what it stood for, and he did not know. He was NOT HAPPY when he found out.

My name is properly "Sandra." But please don't call me that. "Sandy" is just fine, thank you.George story is similar to what happened in my Dad's family. There are 3 Bige's - unusual name - the "i" is long BTW rhyming with guise. Not to be confusing it's Big Bige, Little Bige and Bad Bige. :)

MWM
07-06-2005, 12:25 AM
There's about 1 million guys with my exact same name. From high school on there's been mass confusion. Another guy wit my name got called to the principle's office by mistake once.

In every place I've worked, there's been at least one other person with my name who winds up getting many of my emails, etc....

But I like the name.

RosieRed
07-06-2005, 01:28 AM
There's about 1 million guys with my exact same name. From high school on there's been mass confusion. Another guy wit my name got called to the principle's office by mistake once.

In every place I've worked, there's been at least one other person with my name who winds up getting many of my emails, etc....

But I like the name.

I have dated at least four guys that have the same first name as you. And three with the same first name as Krono.

At one point I swore off all Matts and Mikes, and just for fun, Marks too.

Super_Barry11
07-06-2005, 01:59 AM
I have dated at least four guys that have the same first name as you. And three with the same first name as Krono.

I've dated three Mikes... No Matts, but I definitely dated a Jamie. :laugh: Of course, the first thing I said to him when I met him was, "You have a girl's name." :eek: :laugh: Hey, I was a bit intoxicated, ok?? :p: He was really sweet to me, though, even though I did insult him at first. :)

RosieRed
07-06-2005, 02:14 AM
I've dated three Mikes... No Matts, but I definitely dated a Jamie. :laugh: Of course, the first thing I said to him when I met him was, "You have a girl's name." :eek: :laugh: Hey, I was a bit intoxicated, ok?? :p: He was really sweet to me, though, even though I did insult him at first. :)

I used to have a huge crush on a guy in my high school named Jamie. He was a couple years older than me.

Talk about weird! :)

KronoRed
07-06-2005, 02:14 AM

Yeesh..Matts giving us good Matts a bad name :lol:

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2005, 02:19 AM
my father wanted me to be William Edward IV

My father almost named me that, but my mother forbid it. My initials would have been W.E.W. IV.

Big Donkey
07-06-2005, 02:43 AM
My father almost named me that, but my mother forbid it. My initials would have been W.E.W. IV.

My initials are G.A.G.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2005, 02:54 AM
I love my name...it is just obscure enough to be cool but not totally off the wall. It also allows me to do cool things with my signature.

zombie-a-go-go
07-06-2005, 05:51 AM
When I went away to school I had five roommates, only two of whom I'd met before... every one of them had the same first name (including me), which is why I go by my middle name now. Still do, and so - last I heard - do they.

If someone addresses me by my first name over the phone, I immediately interrupt them and ask "how did you get this number? I don't know you!" Sometimes I swap out "I don't know you!" for "That's my purse!" ... you know, just to keep things fresh.

Raisor
07-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Back in elementry school I used to get into fights all the time over people making fun of my last name. Only so many times you can hear "Raisor-Blade" without snapping, you know.

RedsBaron
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Back in elementry school I used to get into fights all the time over people making fun of my last name. Only so many times you can hear "Raisor-Blade" without snapping, you know.
My last name is difficult to spell and made me the butt of a few jokes growing up. My wife and I made sure to give our sons simple first names.

LvJ
07-06-2005, 08:29 AM
My name is Larry. Nuff' said. :angry:

KittyDuran
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM

But I like the name.That happened to me in junior high in 8th grade - two other girls in 7th and 9th grades had the same name as me and one was called to the principal's office [not me! :devil: ]. It was like what did I do???

Terry
07-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I guess my moniker speaks for itself. I didn't care much for it when I was young, because I always went to school with at least one or two girls named Terri or Teri. But there were always more boys named Terry so it wasn't a huge deal.

Then when I was 15 or 16 my dad sat me down and explained to me how I got my name. I was supposed to be named John, which is both my dad and grandpa's name. That was the plan anyway. But a couple months before I was born my dad was on duty in Vietnam, clearing a path through the jungle when his unit was fired on. Dad was lucky and wasn't hurt, but his best friend was killed just a couple feet from where Dad was standing. His best friend's name was Terry, and I've felt honored to have that name ever since Dad told me how I got it.

Roy Tucker
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
My first name is Bruce. It's an OK name and who I am. Starting around junior high, I started getting ribbed about being it being a gay name which I suffered fairly quietly. I figured I liked wimmin so it didn't really matter. My parents called me Brucie which caused me great amounts of grief from friends. Even up into adulthood, they'd slip and call me that at which time I'd wince.

One of the problems with it is that there just isn't much you can do with it for nicknames. My wife calls me Bru sometimes.

Naming our kids, one of the litmus tests was how it would sound at graduation commencement.

I'm with Sundeck on the Mr./Mrs. thing. I really really really hate it when paying a bill with a credit card and they read me first name and call me by it. I usually give them my best withering glare and say "I'm sorry, do I know you?" and then do my best to not let them off the hook. I can be a real SOB if I want.

It's right up there with being called "you guys" by a waitress, i.e. "are you guys ready to order?".

Our kids are instructed to call all adults Mr./Mrs. and God help any of my kids' friends if they address me as "Bruce".

SunDeck
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
My wife went to school with a kid named Crystal Lear. Her middle name was Shanda. Really.

flyer85
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I wished they had named me Biggus Dickus instead of RC.

07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919191
I don't mind my name. My brother hates his though. It is 919192.

What were your parents names?

Just wondering ;)

That's easy 897656 and Carolyn- I am bi-ethnic. :devil:

letsgojunior
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't particularly like my name or the spelling of it. In fact, when I was in grammar school, I seriously attempted to change it to Jennifer. Maybe I should just start going by my middle name.:lol:

traderumor
07-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I wished they had named me Biggus Dickus instead of RC.Do you know Spartacus?

KronoRed
07-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Do you know Spartacus?

Who doesn't? the guy is everywhere

flyer85
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Do you know Spartacus?I was friends with Naughteus Maximus.

BuckU
07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Ok, I am male, and my first name is Cary. Of course its not without its problems, like misspellings (Carey, Kerry, just to name a few), mistaken for other more common male names (Corey, Harry, Jerry, Gary), and yes, I have gotten made fun of for having a "girl's name."

One of my best friends (male) is named Kerry, and boy did we give him crap about it growing up, so I know what you went through. Thing is, as we have gotten older (late 20's) nobody cares. I don't think he's heard "Kerry the fairy" in like 10 years.

...kids can be mean...

Brian is my name and I have always liked it. Except when people email me and start the email out "Dear Brain.....". Or maybe I should feel flattered? I'm assuming they are making reference to my vast intelligence, right?

I just had a son in March and his name is Evan. I think that's a great name too, I hope he likes it. Not too much to make fun of there...

Roy Tucker
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't particularly like my name or the spelling of it. In fact, when I was in grammar school, I seriously attempted to change it to Jennifer. Maybe I should just start going by my middle name.:lol:
You mean letsgojennifer?

:cool:

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I know a girl named Kevyn. She was named after the male doctor that delivered her (Kevin).

traderumor
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I know a girl named Kevyn. She was named after the male doctor that delivered her (Kevin).What about a boy named Sue?

zombie-a-go-go
07-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Or a dog named cat? Oh, it's just crazy!

:runaway:

RFS62
07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
My first name is Cujo, so I don't usually get a lot of crap.

Sweet sassy molassy!!!!

My cat got on the computer and posted this!!!!!

I named one of our cats Cujo, 'cause I'm all weird and stuff. I had no idea he could type, though.

Red Leader
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Sweet sassy molassy!!!!

My cat got on the computer and posted this!!!!!

I named one of our cats Cujo, 'cause I'm all weird and stuff. I had no idea he could type, though.

You better tell your wife you found out whose been looking at all that online porn. :laugh:

RFS62
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
You better tell your wife you found out whose been looking at all that online porn. :laugh:

Yachtzee!!!!

Thanks, RL

Roy Tucker
07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Say now, what word would a cat use to Google up some porn?

Golly, thinking, thinking, just can't seem to put my finger on it.

RFS62
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KronoRed
07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
This thread just jumped ship :help:

Reds Nd2
07-06-2005, 07:17 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

SunDeck
07-07-2005, 11:15 AM

"Tuna"?