PDA

View Full Version : Just Saw Fantastic Four

WVRed
07-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Two words that I think could best be defined with a photo-

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/fantastic_four/jessica_alba/fantastic3.jpg

Thats the definite positive. It was an okay movie, didnt necessarily blow me away. If anything, I thought it was too juvenile(not near as dark as some of the other Marvel movies, and not near as dramatic as both of the Spidermans)

But hey, if you like Jessica Alba, you will be entertained.;)

HotCorner
07-08-2005, 04:40 PM

But didn't they defeat the purpose of casting her because her character has the superpower of invisibility? ;)

Unassisted
07-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I read somewhere that the Fantastic Four possess essentially the same superpowers as The Incredibles. An interesting coincidence if it's true. Pixar probably lifted the concept, since the F4 date back a couple of decades.

WV, you used the word "juvenile" in your description. Is the movie appropriate for kids?

Michael Allred
07-08-2005, 06:31 PM

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/fantastic_four/jessica_alba/fantastic3.jpg

Thats the definite positive. It was an okay movie, didnt necessarily blow me away. If anything, I thought it was too juvenile(not near as dark as some of the other Marvel movies, and not near as dramatic as both of the Spidermans)

Gosh, you heterosexuals, always obsessing about sex.....

Anyhoo, I'm assuming you're not familiar with the history of the FF but one thing they are NOT is dark. In other words, don't go seeing it expecting "Batman."

GAC
07-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Just got back from seeing it with the kids. I was sorely disappointed. If you were a diehard FF fan growing up, I think you will be bummed out. I was. I understand that Hollywood has to make their so-called updates and storyline changes in order to, I guess, make it more palatable with today's new generation; but IMO, they went too far and took too liberty too much with the characters and the plot (was there one?).

The storyline and character development dragged, and while the special effects were good, they seemed to have more gag lines then action in this one.

I didn't care for the Dr Doom character at all. The Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm characters were pretty much right on cue, but the rest?.... YUCK!

I personally think the whole movie was set up more to promote a sequel, and to sell alot of kid's action figures, when they should have spent more on the plot/storyline on this one.

But Michael Chiklis is a versatile actor. Who else can play both Curley and the Thing? :lol:

GAC
07-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh yeah... the highlight of the day was when I walked into the lobby and was greated by that 8 foot cut-out of Angeline Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith! As rfs would say...GREAT GOOGALY MOOGALY!

WVRed
07-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I read somewhere that the Fantastic Four possess essentially the same superpowers as The Incredibles. An interesting coincidence if it's true. Pixar probably lifted the concept, since the F4 date back a couple of decades.

WV, you used the word "juvenile" in your description. Is the movie appropriate for kids?

Jessica Alba does strip in it. :evil: (twice actually), but she is "invisible". It did have some language as well, but its at your own discretion if you take your kids.

Anyhoo, I'm assuming you're not familiar with the history of the FF but one thing they are NOT is dark. In other words, don't go seeing it expecting "Batman."

I was comparing it to the other Marvel movies. Daredevil and Punisher were both dark in their themes. Spiderman wasnt, but it was always designed for kids.(even though the Peter-Mary Jane romance did help mature it a little bit.)

Just got back from seeing it with the kids. I was sorely disappointed. If you were a diehard FF fan growing up, I think you will be bummed out. I was. I understand that Hollywood has to make their so-called updates and storyline changes in order to, I guess, make it more palatable with today's new generation; but IMO, they went too far and took too liberty too much with the characters and the plot (was there one?).

The storyline and character development dragged, and while the special effects were good, they seemed to have more gag lines then action in this one.

I didn't care for the Dr Doom character at all. The Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm characters were pretty much right on cue, but the rest?.... YUCK!

I personally think the whole movie was set up more to promote a sequel, and to sell alot of kid's action figures, when they should have spent more on the plot/storyline on this one.

But Michael Chiklis is a versatile actor. Who else can play both Curley and the Thing?

I agree with most of what you said GAC, but the characters were right on cue. You had the wimpy scientist Reed Richards, the perfect Sue Storm(I know, Michael;)), the hotheaded showoff Johnny Storm, and the dark depressed Ben Grimm. Add to that the power hungry Victor Von Doom and the characters added up. Its the outline that I didnt care for.

Falls City Beer
07-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Is she wearing blue contacts?

WMR
07-08-2005, 10:03 PM

I don't know what she's doing, but she's doing it right. :explode:

Michael Allred
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I think what would've ended up making the flick better is if they had cast different actors for Reed, Sue and Von Doom. They were miscast, plain and simple.

Um, I will say though that the video game is pretty fun. It's a lot like "X-Men Legends" (if anyone cares.)

redsrule2500
07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Fantastic Two :roll:

savafan
07-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Fantastic Two :roll:

Was thinking it, was afraid to say it. :thumbup:

RFS62
07-09-2005, 12:46 AM
I think what would've ended up making the flick better is if they had cast different actors for Reed, Sue and Von Doom. They were miscast, plain and simple.

I think you're exactly right. Ben Grimm - the Thing, and Johnny Storm were excellent. Reed made even me want to smack him upside the head. And I love Jessica, but wrong babe for this part, IMO.

I always thought that Darth Vadar was a blatant ripoff of Dr. Doom. This guy just didn't work in the part.

The Thing was by far the best part of the movie. His suffering was the type of stuff that set Marvel apart back in the day.

This was my favorite comic growing up. I've still got many of the early issues. Reed was my favorite character. I was very disappointed with his treatment in this flick.

Spiderman I and II still tower above all the other Marvel movies, IMO. Even though I wasn't a DC fan, I'd give Batman Begins a close second in the comic/movie adaptations.

WMR
07-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I think you're exactly right. Ben Grimm - the Thing, and Johnny Storm were excellent. Reed made even me want to smack him upside the head. And I love Jessica, but wrong babe for this part, IMO.

I always thought that Darth Vadar was a blatant ripoff of Dr. Doom. This guy just didn't work in the part.

The Thing was by far the best part of the movie. His suffering was the type of stuff that set Marvel apart back in the day.

This was my favorite comic growing up. I've still got many of the early issues. Reed was my favorite character. I was very disappointed with his treatment in this flick.

Spiderman I and II still tower above all the other Marvel movies, IMO. Even though I wasn't a DC fan, I'd give Batman Begins a close second in the comic/movie adaptations.

I'd put the X-Men movies right up there with Spidey & Batman.

All of which, by the way, place a distant second to the ultimate comic adaptation movie ever: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! (notice I did not include the next 2)

Cowabunga Dude!!!

GAC
07-09-2005, 09:12 AM
I put this movie at the same level as the Hulk... the potential was there, but Hollywood screwed it up. They invested more in marketing then in making a quality product. But they succeeded in both cases in probably selling alot of toys and video games.

Anyone see the scene where Stan Lee always makes his guest appearance in these Marvel movies? ;)

Larkin411
07-09-2005, 09:40 AM
We saw this late last night and I could not stop laughing. It was so awful. In fact it was so awful that I had to assume they were being cheeky and doing some sort of intentionally unintentionally funny routine.

That said, I still disliked most of the "good" characters enough that the movie was unpleasant despite the humor. Still, the few times when the characters got hit, far too few IMO, was cathartic. Usually I hate watching violence on the screen but I really would have liked to see the Thing getting wailed on more because I found his character so tiresome. The only one I liked at all was Johnny Storm and that was mainly because he bothered the Ben Grimm character. Plus, I didn't have to buy that he was a scientist of some kind. I know the whole movie is based on a ludicrous premise but I like to have some sort of realism surronding the ludicrous parts. Like say a head of a science department who was at least in their 30s? I don't entirely believe Jessica Alba can spell science much less be some uber-science genius who has risen through the ranks, broken the glass ceiling, and at the ripe old age of 22 is in charge of it all!

Dom Heffner
07-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I have never been a Fantastic Four fan, but sorry to hear the movie doesn't seem to be on par with Batman or Spider Man. Fans of this comic have waited a long time for this to come out, and it is getting panned pretty bad in most everything I have read.

Except for the Fantastic Two. Even I gave those a... um...thumbs up.

Ahem.

(My last name is Heffner, you know :))

boomersooner
07-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I love Jessica Alba. I thought she was great in Dark Angel, a show that ended way too soon. :( I must say she does look better as a blonde.

GAC
07-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I think that in their attempt to reach out to the younger audience/generation, which influenced them to make alot of changes from the original (too many in fact), they not only alienated alot of the older fans, but simply made a bad movie in trying to do so. They lost their focus.

I agree that Johnny and Ben were the best representations; but that is about as far as I'll go to give anything positive to this flick.

I was gonna go see Batman Begins today but they have already taken it off here. Bummer!

Michael Allred
07-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Let's not forget the choice of director either. Tim Story, the genius behind "Barbershop" and the Jimmy Fallon dud "Taxi."

GAC
07-10-2005, 09:33 AM
I liked Barbershop. :lol:

RedsBaron
07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I took my eight year son to see Fantastic Four earlier this afternoon. He loved it, and I liked it better than the critics did.
While I liked Batman Begins and Revenge of the Sith, I thought both movies sometimes took themselves a bit too seriously. The creators of Fantastic Four apparently realized they were making a movie about a comic book.

GAC
07-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I took my eight year son to see Fantastic Four earlier this afternoon. He loved it, and I liked it better than the critics did.
While I liked Batman Begins and Revenge of the Sith, I thought both movies sometimes took themselves a bit too seriously. The creators of Fantastic Four apparently realized they were making a movie about a comic book.

Hey! I took my comic books seriously! :lol:

But I agree with your assessment. Kids today will like this movie better then the adults who were raised on these comic book heroes. It's why I never liked the Superman movies. I was like Seinfeld - I was raised on Superman. Waaay to corny for me. The first Batman movie w/ Keaton was very good. It was alot more dark and serious (but had its moments). I think they just overdid the corniness/comic book mentality with movies like Superman, the Hulk, and then FF.

Someone said that they were making a sequel to the Hulk?

RedsBaron
08-23-2005, 10:43 AM

I just saw a report on Fox News that maybe won't even upset our resident leftists here, at least not the older ones. ;) In a "Hollywood" report, it was reported that Jessica Alba has stated that she likes "older men" who "have been around longer and know more." She said she has crushes on Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman, Robert Redford and Michael Caine.

RFS62
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I just saw a report on Fox News that maybe won't even upset our resident leftists here, at least not the older ones. ;) In a "Hollywood" report, it was reported that Jessica Alba has stated that she likes "older men" who "have been around longer and know more." She said she has crushes on Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman, Robert Redford and Michael Caine.

So, you're saying there IS a chance?!?!

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/dumb/pics/dumb04.jpg

GAC
08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
As Johnny Storm would say!... "FLAME ON!" :lol:

RedsBaron
08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
So, you're saying there IS a chance?!?!

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/dumb/pics/dumb04.jpg
I was just reporting news that I hoped would inspire all us old guys. ;)

GAC
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
It takes a pilll to inspire us anymore. ;)

How'd that go?.... "the spirit is willing, but the body is weak"