PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Computer Processor

GAC
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I went out and bought another processor for my son's computer. It is the exact same one as he has in their now.... a Pentium II MMX 450 Mhz w/heatsink. I bought it off the 'net from a tech site and it came with a certification/guarantee. I also talked with some computer tech people and also went to a couple tech sites to make sure of what I have to do to replace the processor. Basically, if it's the same as the old... poer down and unpug the old and plug in the new.

Did that. Now I'm getting nothing on the screen when I power up. My monitor power light stays yellow instead of green. But I basically am getting nothing. So I decided to reset my BIOS to default by switching the pins, removing the battery, and then replacing them. Still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

GAC

KronoRed
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Make sure it's in the slot correctly, also make sure the memory is in securely, and any video cards, sound cards as well.

RBA
07-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Why do you need a new proccessor? Was the old one burnt out?

Check to make sure it's seated properly.

GAC
07-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Thx guys. Yeah - I've ensured that all cards are seated properly. I've double checked the new processor too. It also is seated properly. Even when I put the old processor back in, it now does the same thing.

RBA - while the computer was working fine, it, at times, was moving real slow, losing files, and whenever I formatted it, it was taking forever to do so. This is the computer that I put the new HD in (40 GB). A tech buddy of mine suggested it was the processor. So I bought one for $25. I have 256 MB RAM in it. And that is plenty because my son really doesn't have much of anything loaded on this computer other then the 98 SE OS. He keeps it simple.

GAC
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I just posted my problem on a website/forum called "Geeks To Go" :lol:

I've browsed their tech forum before in the past. Pretty interesting site. They seem to know their stuff and help alot of people with computer problems. But then, they are geeks. ;)

redsrule2500
07-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Yeah don't put any more RAM in there, it won't do anything for it. Windows 98 really can't use any more than 256 MB of RAM....anything over that is "useless".

jhiller21
07-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Sounds like a motherboard problem, since it's the same chip the BIOS shouldn't be a factor.

GAC
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I've had one guy tell me that it sounds like a seating problem. I'm not hearing any of the post beeps when I try to start the computer. he told me that even though it may appear to be seated in the slots, and the ckllips are fastened, it probably isn't. It takes a certain amount of pressure (but don't break the motherboard he say :lol: ).

Another tech support guy told me to pull and re-insert the video card. I'm gonna try all this later today. Gotta get some sleep.

REDREAD
07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
GAC, if all you want is a Pentium II, you might want to find a used one and move your hard drive into it. In the end, I think it would be a lot more cost effective. (Even if your time isn't worth anything ;) )

redsrule2500
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Video Card - that definetly could be it. The bios is another possiblity.

GAC
07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Got it fixed. It was simpy a problem with getting the new processor properly seated in the slot and locked in. It was a challenging little bugger. Even though the processor seemed to be seated OK, the one clip on the left side really wasn't firmly locking into the slot and securing the processor. It took me 2-3 tries to finally get it. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for everyone's responses/help.

KronoRed
07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear you got it working GAC, sometimes you actually have to push to where you think the board is about to bust to get those things seated right