PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python and the Holy Grail

traderumor
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
I must admit that last night was the first time that I sat down and watched this movie and found myself quite amused by the antics. The galloping and the coconuts, the French insulter, the debate with the peasant, I thought it was pure comic genius. And my five year old twins were quite enamored as well, but more because the guys were somewhat dressed in medieval garb and were somewhat carrying swords, which is their favorite type of show to watch.

So, what is your favorite part of this movie? Should I watch the other Monty Python flicks?

BTW, I thought of this guy :runaway: a few times.

rdiersin
07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
"I thought we lived in a collective autonomy?"

Yes, you should watch other Monty Python flicks, TR. They are great. My personal favorite would have to be the Meaning of Life. But you probably won't want to watch that with the kids.

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I must admit that last night was the first time that I sat down and watched this movie and found myself quite amused by the antics. The galloping and the coconuts, the French insulter, the debate with the peasant, I thought it was pure comic genius. And my five year old twins were quite enamored as well, but more because the guys were somewhat dressed in medieval garb and were somewhat carrying swords, which is their favorite type of show to watch.

So, what is your favorite part of this movie? Should I watch the other Monty Python flicks?I grew up watching Python and would recommend any of their other movies (basically, The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life)...pure genius IMO.

FWIW, the broadway version of the Holy Grail ("Spamalot") is doing quite well...

traderumor
07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
My wife's late brother was apparently quite the Python fan, she did say the twins and I would have to watch "The Life of Brian" She's not quite the fan of such humor, though, doesn't get most of it.

flyer85
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
"Let me face the peril"

Chip R
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM

So, what is your favorite part of this movie? Should I watch the other Monty Python flicks?I think the best part was the part with the Black Knight. "You're arm's off." "No it isn't." "What's that, then?" "I've had worse." :lol:

Life of Brian is just as good. rdiersin is probably right. MOL is not exactly a family movie.

savafan
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
There are parts of Life of Brian not suitable for family viewing as well.

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy."

M2
07-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm from the school that says anything done by Monty Python should be watched and memorized.

tr, just a brief warning on "Life of Brian", I think it's hysterical, but not everyone yowls at crucifixion comedy ("Who are you calling Jewish? I'm not Jewish! I'm a Samaritan!" "A Samaritan? This is supposed to be a Jewish section.").

And, as a rule, I wouldn't recommend "Life of Brian" or "Meaning of Life" for the wee ones. The television shows are fine, but the movies can get a bit racy.

"Dinsdale was a perfectly normal person in every way. Except inasmuch as he was convinced that he was being watched by a giant hedgehog he referred to as Spiny Norman. "

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I will never forget the time during one of my years at college when the late Graham Chapman (a.k.a. King Arthur) came to speak to a very small assembly and do some Q & A with the students. Because this was circa 1985-86, he had plenty of time to reflect on his life and Python fame, etc...

This was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my early adult life. He was so incredibly funny and candid it was hard to describe. Because the Python series and the subsequent movies basically introduced me to intelligent comedy, I had tons of questions.

One time, I asked Graham to recall what his fondest memories were while filming the Holy Grail. His reply was that he didn't remember much about the filming at all. You see, while they filmed the movie, Graham was a "rampaging alcoholic" (his phrase) who was consuming a fifth of vodka every morning prior to shooting any scenes. Due to the filming schedule the other Pythoners were trying to maintain, they saw no alternative but to make him quit drinking COLD TURKEY during the rest of the shoot. He said his only recollection after that day was that of endless shivering in the rain and cold--in his suit of armor--while experiencing massive case of DT's....

Long live Arthur, King of the Britons :beerme:

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 01:41 PM
One of my favorite lines from the "Dead Parrot" sketch:

Pet Store Owner: "He's not dead, he's stunned."
Customer: "Stunned? he's bleeding demised."
Pet Store Owner: "Oh no, the Norwegian Blue--they stun easily..."

traderumor
07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I knew that it would invoke memories for many. Thanks for the warning for the little ones, perhaps Holy Grail was tame? because there were only a few racy moments in that, and I'm pretty conservative when it comes to that kind of stuff.

A very small scene just cracked me up, when at the beginning there was the debate on how the coconuts being used to simulate the galloping sound made it to Britain and they were carried there by the swallows, IIRC, and then about halfway through the movie, there was a very quick shot of a guy testing the theory, had a cocunut affixed to a bird :laugh: :laugh:

MWM
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Spamalot won the Tony Award for Best Musical this year. I own the CD and it's hilarious. It features Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, and Hank Azaria.

Sweetstop
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Spamalot won the Tony Award for Best Musical this year. I own the CD and it's hilarious. It features Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, and Hank Azaria.

When Spamalot was previewing in Chicago my daughter and son-in-law bought tickets well in advance. Alas and alack! They forgot the date, and when they checked the tickets found they had missed it by a day. Talking about upset! They were hoping for bad reviews to ease the pain a bit, but no such luck. I'm not sure they are even ready for teasing about it yet. :)

MWM
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Actually, it got great reviews, but I've talked to a few people who saw it and while they said it was really good, it was a bit to gimmicky for them. From listening to the music, I can see that. It's really good, but I can see how it's a little too predictable.

NJReds
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM

I enjoyed it...extremely funny. On thing I noticed was that at times the actors seemed to be having too much fun delivering punchlines, IMO. One of the aspects of Python that makes them so funny is that they deliver most of their lines extremely deadpan.

However, I did see it in preview, and they were probably still working on cast chemistry.

They also blew the "Killer Rabbit scene" the night I went...which led to Azaria -- staying in his Tim the Enchanter character/accent "Oooh, that worked much better in rehersal"

registerthis
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
It's been forever since I have seen it, but i recall being particularly amused by the exchange with King Arthur:

What, just because you pulled a sword out of a rock doesn't make you my KING.

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
It's been forever since I have seen it, but i recall being particularly amused by the exchange with King Arthur:

What, just because you pulled a sword out of a rock doesn't make you my KING.I thought it was something like, "just because some watery tart heaved a sword at you...." :evil:

MrCinatit
07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."

"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."

ah, i love this movie. i have probably literally watched it more than any other movie, and have not watched it enough. a favorite part of the movie? i could not begin to begin.

that said, one of my all time favorite lines from the Python Universe:
"What is so funny about the name Biggus Diggus? You should know I have a vewy good fwend in Wome name Biggus Diggus."

Matt700wlw
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Funny movie!

Crash Davis
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
The castle guards:

S #1: Where'd you get the coconuts?
A : We found them.
S #1: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
A : What do you mean?
S #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
A : The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
S #1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
A : Not at all. They could be carried.
S #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
A: It could grip it by the husk!
S #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
A: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
S #1: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
A: Please!
S #1: Am I right?
A: I'm not interested!
S #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
S #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.
S #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.
A: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
S #1: But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory.
S #2: Oh, yeah...
S #1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...

ARTHUR: If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!
FRENCH GUARD: You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt!Thppt!
GALAHAD: What a strange person.
ARTHUR: Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD: I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD: Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
FRENCH GUARD #1: I didn't know we were French?
FRENCH GUARD #2: Of course, why else do you think we are talking in this ridiculous accent?

FRENCH GUARD: How you English say, 'I one more time, mac, unclog my nose in your direction', sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about advancing behavior?! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey-bottom biters.
ARTHUR: In the name of the Lord, we demand entrance to this sacred castle!
FRENCH GUARD: No chance, English bed-wetting types. I burst my pimples at you and call your door-opening request a silly thing, you tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms!

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."

"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."

ah, i love this movie. i have probably literally watched it more than any other movie, and have not watched it enough. a favorite part of the movie? i could not begin to begin.

that said, one of my all time favorite lines from the Python Universe:
"What is so funny about the name Biggus Diggus? You should know I have a vewy good fwend in Wome name Biggus Diggus."What was his friend's name...Himcontinenta Buttox?

Blimpie
07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
The castle guards: :laugh: :laugh: