PDA

View Full Version : Cooter says don't watch Dukes Movie

Chip R
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050713/112130328000.html

'Cooter' Urges Fans to Skip 'Dukes' Movie

If television's "Crazy Cooter" has his way, fans of the "Dukes of Hazzard" may be speeding away from a new movie version of the cornpone classic faster than the Duke boys running from Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Ben Jones, a former Georgia congressman who played the wisecracking mechanic on the popular series from 1979-85, said profanity and sexual content in the film make a mockery of the family friendly show.

"Basically, they trashed our show," said Jones, who now lives in the mountains of Washington, Va. "It's one thing to do whatever movie they want to do, but to take a classic family show and do that is like taking "I Love Lucy" and making her a crackhead or something."

Jones said he read a script of the movie, which is scheduled to be released next month, and that it contained profanity, "constant sexual innuendo and some very clear sexual situations."

On Wednesday, Jones wrote an open letter to fans on his web site, cootersplace.com, urging them to stay away.

"From all I have seen and heard, the "Dukes" movie is a sleazy insult to all of us who have cared about the "Dukes of Hazzard" for so long ... ," Jones wrote. "Unless they clean it up before the August 5th release date I would strongly recommend that true blue Dukes fans hold their noses and pass this one up."

A spokeswoman at Warner Brothers pictures, which is releasing the movie, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment on Wednesday.

"The Dukes of Hazzard" was a surprise hit for CBS, combining with "Dallas" to earn some of the highest Friday-night ratings in television history.

The show pitted "good-ol' boys" Bo and Luke Duke and their moonshine-running Uncle Jesse against the crooked politician Boss Hogg and his bumbling henchman, Sheriff Coltrane, in fictional Hazzard County.

Reruns of the show began airing on the CMT network this year, earning some of the best ratings ever on the country music cable channel.

In the movie, Johnny Knoxville, who made his name on MTV's controversial stuntfest "Jackass," and Seann William Scott, who starred in the raunchy "American Pie" movies, play the main characters.

Pop star turned reality TV icon Jessica Simpson plays Daisy Duke.

Jones was elected to Congress in 1988 as a Democrat. He lost his bid for a third term in 1992 after his district was redrawn, then lost two other bids for House seats, one in Georgia and another in Virginia.

He owns Cooter's Place, a "Dukes" memorabilia shop in Gatlinburg, Tenn. and plans to open another in Nashville. He also is an organizer of "Dukesfest," an annual outdoor concert and convention celebrating the show in Bristol, Tenn.

CrackerJack
07-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah i tend to agree with him - that cheesey Simpson video was the worst - I have absolutely no desire to see this movie and never will. It looks incredibly stupid/bad. I'll just watch the reruns.

Blimpie
07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah i tend to agree with him - that cheesey Simpson video was the worst - I have absolutely no desire to see this movie and never will. It looks incredibly stupid/bad. I'll just watch the reruns.If that video was "cheesy," then color me a Wisconsin Badger. :D

Heath
07-14-2005, 02:19 PM
If that video was "cheesy," then color me a Wisconsin Badger. :D

You asked for it, Blimpie :D

http://argonautpress.com/Web%20page%20graphics/Wisconsin%20postcards/%2377.bucky.JPG

bucksfan
07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
It may have been cheesey, the music may have been bad, but taken in proper context (which is "none"), that video gained some appreciation from me.

cincinnati chili
07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh, where to start.

I love the irony of a guy named "Cooter" complaining about too much sexual inuendo.

If this movie is substantially different from the original, that can only be a good thing. Maybe I'll go see it. I've tried to watch old episodes on Cable TV, and it's painful to get through 5 minutes.

One of my friends' parents didn't let him watch the show when we were kids, saying it would "rot his brain." They were right. He turned out smarter than the rest of us.

RBA
07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
http://img106.exs.cx/img106/9861/Catherine_Bach.jpg

Yeah, I can almost see the family friendlies.

RedFanAlways1966
07-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Man... the real Daisy Duke could roll take a roll in Uncle Jesse's barn w/ me anytime. I almost forgot why I used to watch that show back in the day. It sure as hell wasn't the General Lee.

Sorry, Cooter. You are wrong.

Dom Heffner
07-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Cooter talks about how family oriented the show was, but I seem to remember Uncle Jessie illegally running moonshine and the Dukes not obeying traffic laws...

Sex is bad, moonshine is okay.

LvJ
07-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Didn't plan on it. Didn't care for the show, and the movie looks horrible.

alex trevino
07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I think of the Dukes of Hazzard is possibe the worst TV show of all time. It did have a following, so I am sure some people will go to the theatre to see the movie. I can't understand why, but they will. My prediction though is it will be at a video store near you by September.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Previews of this movie don't do the real "Dukes of Hazzard" any justice. Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg? What a joke!

Incidently, there is a Hazard, Ky. Is that supposed to be the setting for the show or did it take place in a fictional Georgia town? I always wondered.

WVRed
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Just got back from watching it, and Cooter is right.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Its not even worth Jessica Simpson. Everything from Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville just seemed so fake, and there was some pretty rough language in this movie as well.

I was really looking forward to this movie, and it was a disappointment.

KronoRed
08-08-2005, 03:23 PM
One reviewer called it road kill

That got a chuckle out of me :D

REDREAD
08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Cooter talks about how family oriented the show was, but I seem to remember Uncle Jessie illegally running moonshine and the Dukes not obeying traffic laws....

Yes, and portraying the police as complete morons, having fist fights quite often, etc.

I watched the show when it was on. It was harmless, but definitely not a work of art :lol:

HotCorner
08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Incidently, there is a Hazard, Ky. Is that supposed to be the setting for the show or did it take place in a fictional Georgia town? I always wondered.

I believe it's supposed to be (fictional) Hazard County in Georgia.

REDREAD
08-08-2005, 03:49 PM

Yes, it was definitely in Georgia.

I do remember many references to Daisy "skinny dipping" in the original TV series as well. I think there was at least one episode where Enos or one of the other dimwitted Hazard officers caught her in the act..

RedsBaron
08-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I never cared for the TV show, but my older sons were adamant about wanting to see the movie, so last Friday night, against my better judgment, our family went to the movie. After about 15 minutes of mindless dialogue, with plenty of profanity, my wife, youngest son and I slipped out to catch "Sky High" which was playing in the next theater. My youngest son liked "Sky High." Unfortunately my two older sons liked "Dukes of Hazzard" and were surprised to be told that, no, they wouldn't be getting a copy of the movie when it came out on video.
By the way, "Dukes" lead the way at the national box office last weekend.

WVRed
08-08-2005, 04:03 PM

From Wikipedia-

Although Hazzard County, Georgia was a fictional location (the early episodes of the show were filmed in Covington, Georgia), the real-life town of Hazard, Kentucky was a beneficiary of the show's popularity. Members of the cast were frequent visitors to the town's annual Black Gold Festival.

savafan
08-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Okay, I saw this movie yesterday, and no, it wasn't something I necessarily wanted to do, I didn't have to pay to get in.

At the beginning of the movie, I thought for sure that I was in for the worst movie ever. As the film started, there was no way that I could see Knoxville and Scott as the Duke boys. However, as the movie went on, and I took it for what it really was, which is dumb stupid brainless humor (this is a Broken Lizard production after all), it got to be a lot better. It really was a fun time at the theater, the same way that Van Helsing was a fun time at the theater. Check your brain at the door and enjoy the mindlessness of it all.

The main thing I didn't like is the character of Sheriff Roscoe. Didn't seem to mesh with the memory of Roscoe I have from the TV show.

And pretty much every scene with Jessica Simpson in it is shown in the preview.

This was definately better than the season with Coy and Vance (or whatever those cousins' names were).