View Full Version : Girl wants to share locker room with boys

WVRed
07-14-2005, 11:23 PM
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/gfx/Vancouver/photos/050711_dresemlyn1.jpg

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_hockey-locker20050712

Hockey mum wants co-ed locker room
Last updated Jul 12 2005 01:57 PM PDT
CBC News
A B.C. mother is demanding that her 14-year-old daughter be allowed to change in the same locker room as the boys on her co-ed hockey team, and has taken the issue to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.

Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel

Minor hockey league policy is B.C. dictates that there be separate dressing room for boys and girls once they turn 11.

But Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel, who live in the north Okanagan community of Lumby, says that's discrimination.

"It's their right to be in the change room. It's not a privilege, And I feel that if they can play hockey then they should be exposed to all the opportunities that minor hockey players have," says Jane Emlyn.

Jewel plays defence for the Lumby Stars. The team is co-ed, but most of the players are teenage boys.

She is only allowed in the male change room 15 minutes before game time. She says she feels like a "second-class player" because of that restriction.

"People shouldn't be making a big deal whether they're changing in a different dressing room, changing in the same dressing room. We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"

The Emlyns say the solution is shared change rooms with a dress code. And that when it comes time to shower, they say the minority gender would have to leave the room.

Minor hockey coach Bob McCuaig coached a Lower Mainland team of 14 to 16 year olds last season a team that included one girl.

He says separate change rooms have nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with avoiding the possibility of harassment.

"In order to have a safe environment for everybody, where they are not going to feel threatened I would rather have a girl feel a little bit left out than threatened by, 'I have to change in the room with guys.'"

A decision by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal is expected next week

MrCinatit
07-14-2005, 11:42 PM
yeah, i think back to the days when i was 14 - having a girl in the lockerroom with me would not have been a good idea. well, it would have worked for me - which is why it would be a very bad idea.

WVRed
07-15-2005, 12:01 AM
yeah, i think back to the days when i was 14 - having a girl in the lockerroom with me would not have been a good idea. well, it would have worked for me - which is why it would be a very bad idea.

I have four words that sum up my thoughts on this whole issue.

"Let the Hazing Begin..."

Seriously, this is just asking for trouble. And this same mother would be the one filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against the school the very first time something went wrong(and believe me, it would).

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2005, 12:17 AM
The level of "taboo" that we place on our own bodies, as humans, is borderline neurotic, at times...

CrackerJack
07-15-2005, 12:18 AM
"People shouldn't be making a big deal whether they're changing in a different dressing room, changing in the same dressing room. We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"

Uuuuh.....no.

KronoRed
07-15-2005, 12:18 AM
No, she really doesn't want to be in there..

I mean..it's ewww

cincinnati chili
07-15-2005, 08:21 AM
The level of "taboo" that we place on our own bodies, as humans, is borderline neurotic, at times...

I agree. Eventually, as a society we'll evolve to co-ed facilities, but we may be decades or even centuries away.

SunDeck
07-15-2005, 08:43 AM
This will give a whole new meaning to the phrase "high sticking".

bucksfan
07-15-2005, 10:07 AM
When I was in marching band in the early 80's, we traveled fairly extensively to different field show and track show competitions, as well as away football games. Everyone changed on the bus together. Granted, no showering was involved, but it is still something that I just cannot picture going on in this day and age.

Odd thing was, I never noticed a single problem (granted I was a naive teenager) resulting from this arrangement. I am sure in today's environment that likely would not be the case. But aside from arriving early to get seats on the same bus a few particular girls and occasionaly casting a quick glance during the commotion of "changing time", nothing ever happened but I have no idea if there were ever any parent complaints. I know my parents never said anything about it... But I cannot picture the same scenario occuring in this day and age.

LincolnparkRed
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't really think that mom realizes the unpleasant smells that come from a men's locker room. I personally wish that while I had run track in high school that I could have changed with the women just based on the odors and weird things guy do in a locker room when no coaches are around( i.e. hazing/practical jokes).

OSURedLeg
07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
In the infamous words of Glen Quagmire:

Dear Diary,

Jackpot!

WVRed
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree. Eventually, as a society we'll evolve to co-ed facilities, but we may be decades or even centuries away.

Ever watched Ally McBeal?;)

LvJ
07-15-2005, 12:08 PM
No way should she be allowed to change/shower in the same locker room. Girls have cooties! :runaway:

registerthis
07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
If there's no nudity involved, I don't see what the problem is on the face of it. however, I really have to question why she would want to put herself into this situation. Considering how boys tend to behave in locker rooms, having a cute girl taking her clothes off could result in problems for both of them.

I'm not so sure that co-ed facilities are in the best interest here.

15fan
07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Jewel -

You do realize that as a general rule, teenage guys never adjust the toilet seat in a locker room. If it's down, it's staying down, regardless of the situation at hand.

Any collateral damage or contamination from the various excretory functions is merely considered a normal cost of doing business by the stall occupant. Any messes are left for the next occupant.

Flushing is frowned upon.

There is a less than 1% chance that any given stall will be (1) functional, (2) clean by a first world standard, and (3) well stocked with paper products.

If that's what you want, then by all means, may you get the equal access that you so desire. We will gladly welcome you into our heretofore secret Utopia.

OSURedLeg
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I'll be interested in hearing about how she feels after her first welt from being whipped by a towel. Man that hurts.

macro
07-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't really think that mom realizes the unpleasant smells that come from a men's locker room.

That female PE teacher in the movie Porky's seemed to enjoy the smell of men's locker rooms. :D

OSURedLeg
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
That female PE teacher in the movie Porky's seemed to enjoy the smell of men's locker rooms. :D

Ahh yes, Lassie

CTA513
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
1 Girl + 10-15 Boys = :(

1 Guy + 10-15 Girls = :)

Im sure her mom would be quick to sue if something happend to her daughter while she was in the locker room with the boys.

LincolnparkRed
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Ahh yes, Lassie

I wonder if many realize that Lassie is a very young Kim Cattrall from Sex and the City

bucksfan
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I wonder if many realize that Lassie is a very young Kim Cattrall from Sex and the City

Really?!? I for one did not.

LincolnparkRed
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Really?!? I for one did not.

They call her something else but check out IMDB. I saw Porkys on USA or some such channel and thought hey that's Kim Cattral and looked it up later and found out I was right.

WVRed
07-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Food for thought.

If they make co-ed locker rooms, there wont be anything for us to sneak into. :help:

Oh yeah, I forgot. There is always HAZING!!!. :evil:

Michael Allred
07-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Boys should be allowed to dress/undress in a locker room with mostly girls. Men should be allowed to play in girl sports, men reporters should be allowed in women's locker rooms, etc etc etc etc etc.

I mean, that's fair right? Right?

CTA513
07-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Let the guys have a locker room to change in, let the girls walk around nude.

;)

RedsBaron
07-16-2005, 08:41 AM
And I feel that if they can play hockey then they should be exposed to all the opportunities that minor hockey players have," says Jane Emlyn.

We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"

If she shares a locker room with the guys, Ms. Emlyn's daughter certainly should expect to be "exposed" to a number of things, and I'm sure someone will have some "fun." Maybe she should have her daughter invite all of her teammates over for a slumber party.
I really wonder if Ms. Emlyn has ever been in a men's locker room or has any idea as to what one is like.
If Ms. Emlyn gets her wish, it should help recruitment for the hockey team, as every guy around may sign up.

cincinnati chili
07-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Ever watched Ally McBeal?;)

Actually, no. So sorry I'm not "pop culture" enough to get the reference.

GAC
07-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Could give new meaning to the phrase "wearing a jock". ;)

WVRed
07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Actually, no. So sorry I'm not "pop culture" enough to get the reference.

There was a uni-sex bathroom that was made pretty evident on the show, hence the reference.

GAC
07-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Any of you men ever go to a public bathroom and have a woman standing next to you at the urinals? I did. At least I thought it was; but in this day and age you can't be sure, and I wasn't gonna hang around to find out! :lol:

We had a guy at work a few weeks ago mistakenly use the ladies restroom. He was sitting in one of the stalls and some ladies came in and he heard them talking. he thought to himself "What are these woman doing in a men's restroom?". So he sat there until they left. He comes to find out he was in the wrong one.

He got a good ribbin' from a bunch of us. I asked him "How many kotex dispensers do you see in a men's restroom?"

I also told him - when you enter, always look for the urinals. If they aren't there, then you be in the wrong place. :lol:

DoogMinAmo
07-17-2005, 06:37 PM

To think, Binobo Monkeys are more advanced than us. :confused:

RFS62
07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
What about the cheerleaders? Can they come too?

Damn, I was born way too early.

REDREAD
07-18-2005, 10:57 AM

While I agree with Caveat about the body thing, the problem is that there will always be a minority of people that wouldn't have the level of maturity required for co-ed facilities. I don't think it would ever work.

Here's a similiar story that proves the case. I had a friend in the National Guard. They used to have this "tradition" of drinking beers together after their training events. Well, eventually women were integrated into the group. The women were invited along. Well, some guy decided to grab a women's rear during one of the beer events, so they had to ban the tradition because of one idiot. There's always going to be that one idiot, sadly.

TeamCasey
07-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I walked in on a guy at BW3s. He was peeing in the sink. (Do you guys really do that?)

Anyway, he confronted me in mid-pee as to why I was in the Men's room. I quietly opened the door all the way so he could read the sign again, and asked him why he was peeing in my sink.

He ran out the door. I cracked up. Saw him in the bar and told him I wasn't embarrassed if he wasn't.

I've been in a few men's rooms when I just couldn't wait in line. :)

traderumor
07-18-2005, 11:23 AM
The concept is ludicrous. Boys and girls have obvious biological differences. Forget the problem of a boy seeing a girl change, but what about the player(s) on the team that has/have been taught modesty and has parents that understand a teen age boy's hormones? Should he be excluded or subjected to an environment that is immoral based on his ethical code? If the league wants to have co-ed teams in the sport, have them change and then have a central location to meet, keeping the "getting dressed" time to a minimum. There are other solutions than promoting teen boys and girls to share a locker room.

Caveat Emptor,

The "taboo" can be traced back to Adam and Eve, who were naked and not ashamed before the Fall. After the Fall, they noticed each other's differences in an impure way and God provided covering. So, until the curse is removed, co-ed nudity, or changing clothes, is going to be a problem in the human race.

Chip R
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I walked in on a guy at BW3s. He was peeing in the sink. (Do you guys really do that?) Usually only in a busy bar. This one bar I used to go to in college had a regular toilet, a sink, and a half-dollar sized hole in the floor. All were used when the bar was busy.

GAC
07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I walked in on a guy at BW3s. He was peeing in the sink. (Do you guys really do that?)

The whole time he was doing it he was probably wondering why the urinals were so high in this restroom. :lol: