PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto Is Starting to Heat Up

New Fever
07-16-2005, 02:47 AM
10hr's 55rbi's, plate discpline is coming around, if he finishes the season strong his first should be forgotten.

toledodan
07-16-2005, 02:52 AM
10hr's 55rbi's, plate discpline is coming around, if he finishes the season strong his first should be forgotten.

i would like to see him at AAA somtime next season. he has alot of upside and could be the reds starting first baseman in the next 3 seasons.

Jpup
07-16-2005, 02:58 AM
i would like to see him at AAA somtime next season. he has alot of upside and could be the reds starting first baseman in the next 3 seasons.

I hope he does well, but I would like to see Dunn as the everyday 1st baseman for the next 10 years.

toledodan
07-16-2005, 03:09 AM
I hope he does well, but I would like to see Dunn as the everyday 1st baseman for the next 10 years.

i just have the gut feeling that kearns is down at AAA to play everyday untill they trade dunn. i believe if that happens the front office will keep casey around long enough untill votto is ready.

JaxRed
07-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Well.... he's not coming on real strong. One week ago he was also hitting .260, so he's just holding his own (as opposed to Perez who raised his average 15 points in the same time frame)

But he did homer twice in that period, so it will be interesting to see if that is a trend. He hit 19 last year, so it seems both his average and power numbers will be down for the season unless he really goes crazy.

There is no way Votto will START in AAA next year. There is a 1b vaccum at AA so he'll start there next year. He really needs to step it up if he is going to be the Reds 1b of the future.

M2
07-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Well.... he's not coming on real strong. One week ago he was also hitting .260, so he's just holding his own (as opposed to Perez who raised his average 15 points in the same time frame)

But he did homer twice in that period, so it will be interesting to see if that is a trend. He hit 19 last year, so it seems both his average and power numbers will be down for the season unless he really goes crazy.

There is no way Votto will START in AAA next year. There is a 1b vaccum at AA so he'll start there next year. He really needs to step it up if he is going to be the Reds 1b of the future.

I agree that Votto's got to do A LOT better if he's going to be a viable option at 1B in a few years.

Though you're batting average fascination remains a bafflement. Who cares if Miguel Perez raised his BA 15 points? Sure, it's better than nothing, but he's still a Judy hitter with no eye. It's the difference between largely worthless at the plate and completely worthless at the place (which is where Perez will head back to when he cools off).

A batting average bump for Votto obviously would net more significant returns, but he's still only got a .246 secondary average, which is way down for him. He's struggling across the board.

tbball10
07-16-2005, 11:12 AM
i thought votto should have started in AA this season, but i hope he finishes strong, and puts together some good overall numbers.

redsandrails
07-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Votto kind of reminds me of Broussard. I hope I'm wrong. Broussard isn't terrible though.

M2
07-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Votto kind of reminds me of Broussard. I hope I'm wrong. Broussard isn't terrible though.

He's starting to remind me of Bender too - running hot and cold in the minors, power that's all right but never seems to take that big leap forward. Though, to be fair, Votto's only 21 and his power might be two or three years off.

redsandrails
07-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah..... Broussard was a lot older. He was in AA when he should have been in AAA or majors IIRC.

toledodan
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
i wanted to bump this up again. is there any chance we might see votto up here this season?

KronoRed
01-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Not unless he really explodes in AA and AAA.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Joey%20Votto&pos=1B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458015

TOBTTReds
01-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Our season would really have to be in dumps. But I don't believe so, really took a step back last season.

lollipopcurve
01-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Take a look at the off years Austin Kearns and Kal Daniels had in single A when they were coming up. I'm hoping it was a similar detour for Votto. All signs had been pointing to the kid being good.

M2
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
lollipop, interesting use of Austin Kearns and Kal Daniels in the same sentence.

deltachi8
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
lets see how many other sentance we can use the two names in..

ok, maybee not.

:D

lollipopcurve
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
lollipop, interesting use of Austin Kearns and Kal Daniels in the same sentence.

both #28

man, I loved Daniels -- too bad about those knees (and that personality)

M2
01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
both #28

He was a very good guy to trade away.

lollipopcurve
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
He was a very good guy to trade away.

Turned out that way. In a deal that included the still-active Lenny Harris, I think. Meanwhile Kal is spreading sunshine deep into the anonymity of a retirement over a decade long.

Bobcat J
01-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Turned out that way. In a deal that included the still-active Lenny Harris, I think. Meanwhile Kal is spreading sunshine deep into the anonymity of a retirement over a decade long.

We got Tim Leary and Mariano Duncan. Duncan went on to have a career year the year after this trade posting a 120 OPS+ while helping the Reds to the WS title.

MartyFan
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
both #28

Or lack of one.