View Full Version : Question about Home Recording

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm getting started with home recording. I'd like to record guitar, drum, and vocal tracks for my band. I've got a Behringer BCA2000 USB preamp hooked up to my computer and I'm using the free Audacity software, but I'm experiencing some big problems with sound latency. I can't play one track while recording another -- there's too much of a delay.

Is there any way to correct the problem? I tried changing the settings in Audacity, but that didn't work. Should I switch to a different software package? I'd like to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on something like Cakewalk.

07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I was going to suggest Avid Pro Tools LE, since it's a free download, but the system requirements are fairly hefty.

Could it be that your system is underpowered for Audacity and the latency is caused by your system's inability to keep up?

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Audacity's system requirements are very low -- 64 MB RAM and 300 MHz processor.
I've got a new Dell with a 3.00 GHz Pentium 4 CPU and 512 MB of memory. The processor would be fine for Avid, but I'm light in the RAM department, and I don't have a firewire connection.

07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
That RAM requirement is staggering for ProTools. Sounds like you've got plenty of horsepower in that Dell to do the job with other software, though. Probably just a matter of finding a software tool that falls somewhere between the two. If you come up empty here, maybe you could get some advice from folks with Audacity experience at the AVS forum?