PDA

View Full Version : Question about Home Recording

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm getting started with home recording. I'd like to record guitar, drum, and vocal tracks for my band. I've got a Behringer BCA2000 USB preamp hooked up to my computer and I'm using the free Audacity software, but I'm experiencing some big problems with sound latency. I can't play one track while recording another -- there's too much of a delay.

Is there any way to correct the problem? I tried changing the settings in Audacity, but that didn't work. Should I switch to a different software package? I'd like to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on something like Cakewalk.

Unassisted
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I was going to suggest Avid Pro Tools LE, since it's a free download, but the system requirements are fairly hefty.

http://www.avid.com/products/xpressStudio/proToolsLE/

Could it be that your system is underpowered for Audacity and the latency is caused by your system's inability to keep up?

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Audacity's system requirements are very low -- 64 MB RAM and 300 MHz processor.
I've got a new Dell with a 3.00 GHz Pentium 4 CPU and 512 MB of memory. The processor would be fine for Avid, but I'm light in the RAM department, and I don't have a firewire connection.

Unassisted
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
That RAM requirement is staggering for ProTools. Sounds like you've got plenty of horsepower in that Dell to do the job with other software, though. Probably just a matter of finding a software tool that falls somewhere between the two. If you come up empty here, maybe you could get some advice from folks with Audacity experience at the AVS forum?