PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Appendix Surgery

Yachtzee
07-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Just got home today after having my appendix removed on Monday. Anyone know when it stops hurting? Figures it would happen when I had Reds games on TV at home. The hospital didn't have WGN, so I missed last night's game.

pedro
07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Hope you feel better.

KronoRed
07-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Hope you recover ok :(

creek14
07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Just got home today after having my appendix removed on Monday. Anyone know when it stops hurting? Figures it would happen when I had Reds games on TV at home. The hospital didn't have WGN, so I missed last night's game.
How big is your incision? My c-section HURT for a week and then hurt for two more weeks. My gall bladder HuRt for a couple days and then hurt for a week.

Try to walk as much as you can around the house, it helps to work out the soreness. Really.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Yachtzee
07-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks pedro, krono and creek. The good thing is that I had come back from Seattle a few days before. As much as I enjoyed Seattle, I can only imagine how much that would stink if I had gotten sick while still there.

I haven't been able to look at the incision yet. I'm a bit squeamish about checking it out. But from what I hear, it's pretty small compared to what they normally look like. I'm actually feeling pretty good right now, hopped up on vicotin and ibuprofin. I did discover that the walking around helps. It seems to hurt more after I've been sitting or laying down for a while.

Now if only I had MLB EI. I'm not allowed to go back to work until after my follow-up appointment next week. I guess I will have plenty of time to read "The Curse of Rocky Colavito" and the new Harry Potter my wife bought.

redsfanmia
07-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I had my appendix removed last summer and I hurt for about a week. I had the surgery on saturday and was only off work for a week, the next few days you will start to feel better just take it easy and take all the drugs they gave you.

wheels
07-22-2005, 04:03 AM
I have perhaps the worst appendectomy story ever.

Mine burst when I was a freshman in High School. I know I felt some pain at night, but I went to a Reds game the next day, and tried to pretend nothing was wrong. Of course, the burning, searing pain in my stomach, coupled with voilent vomiting convinced my mother that something was wrong.

Problem is, I waited eight hours in the emergency room before I could be operated on.

I ended up getting a really bad infection, and was hospitalized for over a month. They thought I was going to die.

A day before I was to go in for another operation, as the nurse was checking my incision (it's a monster, btw), a bunch of black stuff squirted from a penny sized hole in my stomach. I guess I passed a clot, or whatever, and I started feeling better almost immediately.

The day I was to be released, a bomb threat was called in to the hospital, so I had to stay until the whole mess was cleared up.

The daggone incision seeped for a month or so afterward, leaking out all of that bad stuff. It reeked, but I felt super lucky. I even made it back for summer league, and in my first AB, my dressing came off and that stuff soaked through onto my jersey.

Just like Roy Hobbs.

It was awesome.

I hit into a double play.

creek14
07-22-2005, 08:17 AM
I have perhaps the worst appendectomy story ever.

Mine burst when I was a freshman in High School. I know I felt some pain at night, but I went to a Reds game the next day, and tried to pretend nothing was wrong. Of course, the burning, searing pain in my stomach, coupled with voilent vomiting convinced my mother that something was wrong.

Problem is, I waited eight hours in the emergency room before I could be operated on.

I ended up getting a really bad infection, and was hospitalized for over a month. They thought I was going to die.

A day before I was to go in for another operation, as the nurse was checking my incision (it's a monster, btw), a bunch of black stuff squirted from a penny sized hole in my stomach. I guess I passed a clot, or whatever, and I started feeling better almost immediately.

The day I was to be released, a bomb threat was called in to the hospital, so I had to stay until the whole mess was cleared up.

The daggone incision seeped for a month or so afterward, leaking out all of that bad stuff. It reeked, but I felt super lucky. I even made it back for summer league, and in my first AB, my dressing came off and that stuff soaked through onto my jersey.

Just like Roy Hobbs.

It was awesome.

Not a good post to read first thing in the morning before breakfast. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
07-22-2005, 08:58 AM
I hope you are feeling 100% soon, Yachtzee! :thumbup:

Chip R
07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Get better real soon, Yachtzee.

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I know I felt some pain at night, but I went to a Reds game the next day, and tried to pretend nothing was wrong. Of course, the burning, searing pain in my stomach, coupled with voilent vomiting convinced my mother that something was wrong.

Lucky it wasn't this year, or she'd have just thought it was the Reds pitching.

Yachtzee
07-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Just like Roy Hobbs.

It was awesome.

Yeah, I was wondering why I felt like I should head down to the stadium for some late night batting practice after surgery. :)

I was really lucky. I didn't have a terrible amount of pain, more just discomfort. The only reason I went to the doctor was that I was also having some nasty sinus problems on top of it all. My doctor was really on top of things and told me to get a CT scan "just in case."

I was also lucky that they were able to call around and get me in on a direct admit to the hospital, because they were able to get me a room and my surgeon met me on the way to the room. They said that it would have been an 8 hr. wait if I had gone through the emergency room, by which time my appendix could have burst.

I'm feeling much better today. I might see if I can't talk my wife into taking me to a ballgame this weekend.

PickOff
07-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Had mine out, and it probably took me a week to fully recover. The biggest problem I had was with my appetite. I couldn't eat much for a week, but that probably had more to do with the anesthesia. Good luck, you will be good as new.

redsfanmia
07-23-2005, 03:49 PM
I was lucky when I had mine out because I had not felt well for 3 days and the only reason why I went to the hospital was to shut my wife up. I remember telling her that she was going to feel pretty stupid when they tell me I have a pulled muscle and send me on my way, 4 hours later I was in surgery and the doctor said it was the largest appendix he had seen and it was ready to burst. He said it was the size of a softball. It was one of the rare occasions that I was happy I was married.

creek14
07-23-2005, 03:55 PM
It was one of the rare occasions that I was happy I was married.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: