PDA

View Full Version : Seeking occupational legal information

savafan
07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
To make an incredibly long story short, I started my shift yesterday at 1:00 PM and worked until 9:00 AM this morning without a break, which adds up to a straight 20 hour shift. After a 45 minute drive home, I had to attend a meeting at 11:00 AM this morning. Here is my question. What does the law say about someone working such a long shift. I know there is no way that is legal.

07-20-2005, 07:23 PM
NLRB might be a good place to check. They are sometimes a better representative than a union rep. I don't know if there are actual laws pertaining to breaks or shifts- I always hear there are,, but I have never actually seen them in print. I don't think I would allow anyone to force me to work like that. Bosses usually try to take the most advantage of those who will let them.

savafan
07-20-2005, 07:50 PM
NLRB might be a good place to check. They are sometimes a better representative than a union rep. I don't know if there are actual laws pertaining to breaks or shifts- I always hear there are,, but I have never actually seen them in print. I don't think I would allow anyone to force me to work like that. Bosses usually try to take the most advantage of those who will let them.

I've been skimming their website. I'm not supported by a union, so I don't know if I have a legitimate gripe.

Reds4Life
07-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Ohio law does not have a provision for entitlement to breaks, regardless of how many hours have been worked. Federal law doesn't either. Unless your part of a union with a collective bargaining agreement, you're out of luck on this one.

savafan
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Ohio law does not have a provision for entitlement to breaks, regardless of how many hours have been worked. Federal law doesn't either. Unless your part of a union with a collective bargaining agreement, you're out of luck on this one.

That sucks. I thought slavery was outlawed in 1863.

Redsfaithful
07-20-2005, 09:41 PM
This is why unions are a good thing.

07-21-2005, 10:19 AM

Hey, I am a conservative, and probably libertarian, and I agree with this. I think that management and labor are like a pendulem that swings both ways. When it goes too far one way, it swings back the other way.

And I share your feelings about the corruptness of corporate America. I also, though, realize that the more profitable they are, the better off their workers are (or should be).

And I am union.

07-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Did you ever just tell your boss you needed a break? You don't wanna pass out and get another concussion!

savafan
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Did you ever just tell your boss you needed a break? You don't wanna pass out and get another concussion!

Yeah, and I told them I needed a set schedule too, and they told me they'd work with me. That was back in October, and it hasn't happened yet.

There was a time when I used to have three nights off a week. I requested this, so I could spend time with my fiancee. After she moved in with me in January, my boss called while I was out and heard her voice on the answering machine. They now refuse me those nights off saying that since she's living with me, I don't need the time off to spend with her. I can't convince them that she also works and goes to school, she's not waiting around for me 24/7. The only time I get to spend with her now is Saturdays, and part of Sunday before I go in to work. Maybe I'm different than most, but I actually like my fiancee, and feel that it would be beneficial to get to spend time with her and build our relationship, but they don't seem to see it that way.

TeamCasey
07-21-2005, 03:15 PM

I used to think they were a bad thing ..... in my personal experience.

I ran an organization that had a "if it isn't in my job description, I won't do it.". It was a federal job. No one grew in their jobs and it wasn't always productive. Hated that environment.

In the corporate world, I can see the tides changing with job cuts and whatnot. I can see where employees have no leverage, and good employees get the boot because it cheaper to do it elsewhere.

So, I guess I've seen both sides of the fence.

With that in mind, how do employees get a fair shake in this global environment, when so many jobs are going international? Do unions make it too expensive for companies to do business here? Where's the middle ground?

RBA
07-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I ran an organization that had a "if it isn't in my job description, I won't do it.". It was a federal job. No one grew in their jobs and it wasn't always productive. Hated that environment.

If the employees were using that old line, they are wrong. In fact, they can do it if that task is not more than 20 percent of their work week. There are several rules that apply, but someone that simply says "I won't do it, it's outside my job description" doesn't know what they are talking about. Or they may know, but hoping that their supervisor doesn't.

Dom Heffner
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
sava- hope I did not miss this, but are you exempt or non-exempt?

RBA
07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
sava- hope I did not miss this, but are you exempt or non-exempt?

That's a very good point. Does the non-exempt/exempt only apply to federal employees?

Reds4Life
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah, and I told them I needed a set schedule too, and they told me they'd work with me. That was back in October, and it hasn't happened yet.

There was a time when I used to have three nights off a week. I requested this, so I could spend time with my fiancee. After she moved in with me in January, my boss called while I was out and heard her voice on the answering machine. They now refuse me those nights off saying that since she's living with me, I don't need the time off to spend with her. I can't convince them that she also works and goes to school, she's not waiting around for me 24/7. The only time I get to spend with her now is Saturdays, and part of Sunday before I go in to work. Maybe I'm different than most, but I actually like my fiancee, and feel that it would be beneficial to get to spend time with her and build our relationship, but they don't seem to see it that way.

Start looking for a new job.

savafan
07-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Start looking for a new job.

I'm trying. It's hard with these hours. Example, today I went in at 9:00 AM. I get an hour break from 3:00 until 4:00. I'm leaving now to go back to work until 10:30 tonight.

Not sure what is meant by exempt/non-exempt.

creek14
07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Not sure what is meant by exempt/non-exempt.
Salaried or hourly

savafan
07-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Salaried or hourly

Ah, hourly, due for a pay decrease on August 1 because the guy I was covering for who was on medical leave since January is coming back. My thanks is to get my pay cut. :rolleyes:

Dom Heffner
07-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Not sure how state law works where you are, but here in Florida, what they are doing to you would be illegal, I believe.