PDA

View Full Version : Christians plan to take over South Carolina

savafan
07-20-2005, 09:23 PM
As a Christian myself, I see this as a very bad idea.

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3592505&nav=2KPpc7ZV

Plans to reform our government to more Christian-like principles are in the works and we may feel the effects right here in the Upstate. That is because South Carolina has been chosen as the place for hundreds, even thousands of Christians to move to, in hopes of impacting the government. But people who live here have mixed opinions about the Christian Exodus.

Denise Collins-Bennett lives in Florence, SC and says, "I guess it's great to have more Christian groups moving here."

Here, is South Carolina: the chosen location for the Christian Exodus, a non-profit group organizing Christians to move to the Palmetto State to concentrate the number of Christians in one location with the intent to influence how the state governs. A plan that some residents say we need.

"I think it's fantastic, I think we need more of that actually. I don't know which direction our government is heading in, but I think they need Christian influence, it would go a long way, I really think so," says Mauldin resident, Reggie Brown.

Percy Croft of Greenville agrees, "America was founded on Christian principals...people with different views about Christianity, you have them getting into the elected positions and they don't want to see this country stay the way it is, they want it to change...They're getting away from what they were founded on."

But others say a Christian Exodus isn't a good idea.

According to Windy Sizemore of York, SC, "I don't think that any one group trying to take over is good in anything."

DeLane Breen lives in Greenville , she says, "Just the whole planned, big group, I don't know, the concept scares me a little bit and I'm not in favor of it at all."

The Group says they plan on having 2500 Christians moved to South Carolina by September 2006, and will begin several political campaigns at that time. They hope to have a major impact on State government by 2014.

Brown says, "I think it's great, bring them on."

Many others in the Upstate don't agree with Brown’s enthusiasm and say they're against the Exodus, this even includes Christians and Church Leaders and Pastors.

A conference on the Christian Exodus will be held in Greenville at the Hilton October 14-16, space is limited to only 210 people. You can find out more information on the conference and Exodus at www.christianexodus.org.

M2
07-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Joke #1 - Christians plan to take over South Carolina? That's redundant.

Joke #2 - The more the merrier and if the state secedes I promise we won't try to stop it this time.

pedro
07-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I've lived there. They can have it.

Falls City Beer
07-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Scrub pine, golf courses, and putt-putt.

I wonder if everyone was to push hard enough if we could just send the whole state into the Atlantic?

Rojo
07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
The Palmetto state did produce at least one wonderful thing ----- me!

Parris Island Naval Hospital, 1968.

Jaycint
07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
I like Myrtle Beach but I wouldn't wanna live there. :)

traderumor
07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Sounds like cult activity moreso than Christian. Escapism and Christianizing government is nothing novel. From the Essenes to monasticism, Christians have wanted to get in their own little huddles to escape the evil world. The only problem is, the Bible says we are to be in the world, but not of the world. People should stay where they're at and tell their neighbor about the Savior of the World, not try to create a Christian utopia.

KronoRed
07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
I must have missed the part in Church and my Bible where Christians were told to overthrow governments.

This is not Christian like.

traderumor
07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I must have missed the part in Church and my Bible where Christians were told to overthrow governments.

This is not Christian like.Certainly a confusion of the two kingdoms concept taught in Scripture. The Apostle Peter called us pilgrims long before the Puritans and John Wayne were around. That must be lost on these promoters.

REDREAD
07-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I like SC.. why all the hate for it?

LvJ
07-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Why not try for a Country? Someone worthless. How bout Canada? ;)

Falls City Beer
07-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Why not try for a Country? Someone worthless. How bout Canada? ;)

Nah, America's already cornered the market on worthlessness.

There's actual wildlife in Canada.

redsrule2500
07-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Psh that just sounds stupid, aren't Christians supposed to spread the gospel.

A little hard when you are all grouped up together.

South Carolina is a great place to live as it is, I've heard its the best state to live in (in the Eastern USA)...I've only visited, and it was good.

LvJ
07-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Nah, America's already cornered the market on worthlessness.

There's actual wildlife in Canada.http://pichold.com/Images/Smilies/hsughwiggle.gif

KronoRed
07-22-2005, 02:41 AM
That guy looks like an M&M

MartyFan
07-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Psh that just sounds stupid, aren't Christians supposed to spread the gospel.

A little hard when you are all grouped up together.

South Carolina is a great place to live as it is, I've heard its the best state to live in (in the Eastern USA)...I've only visited, and it was good.

Well, we are supposed to but we are too busy building buildings and crowds to whine and moan too about how god the "Good old days" were...gee, if it was just 1955 again.

remdog
07-22-2005, 07:15 AM
The Palmetto state did produce at least one wonderful thing ----- me!

Parris Island Naval Hospital, 1968.

Must have missed you by a few months. I did the Parris Island Resort in '69, courtesy of the USMC.

Other than that, I liked South Carolina just fine. :laugh:

Rem

RedsBaron
07-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Sounds like cult activity moreso than Christian. Escapism and Christianizing government is nothing novel. From the Essenes to monasticism, Christians have wanted to get in their own little huddles to escape the evil world. The only problem is, the Bible says we are to be in the world, but not of the world. People should stay where they're at and tell their neighbor about the Savior of the World, not try to create a Christian utopia.
Exactly right. The above group sounds silly, and their hopes to control South Carolina will not be realized.

RANDY IN INDY
07-22-2005, 10:08 AM
I like SC.. why all the hate for it?

I was wondering that myself. Beautiful state. I've been to a lot of places that I would much rather see fall in the Atlantic than SC.

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I was wondering that myself. Beautiful state. I've been to a lot of places that I would much rather see fall in the Atlantic than SC.

Me too. I just chalked it up to garden variety, northerner bias.

westofyou
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I've lived there. They can have it.
Clover High School Rulz!!!

registerthis
07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
In a semi-related story, reports of potluck dinners across the state have increased tenfold since the Group's announcement.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Me too. I just chalked it up to garden variety, northerner bias.

It's not so much the topography, but the culture (cf. Bob Jones University--"university," tee-hee)

WVRed
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
It's not so much the topography, but the culture (cf. Bob Jones University--"university," tee-hee)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Sure, Bob Jones is a nutbag, but he doesn't have a lock on the state anymore than the Coors family does Colorado. In all the time I have spent in SC I can honeslty say that no one has voiced an opinion of favor for BJU, or an opinion at all for that matter.
Now, if you want to talk loonies, I think Maurice Bessinger is probably a better example :help: .

Speaking of topography, how many states have mountains AND beaches?

westofyou
07-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Oregon, Washington, California, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, New York, Massachusetts.

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Oregon, Washington, California, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, New York, Massachusetts.

Thank you- I was too lazy to get out a map.

pedro
07-22-2005, 12:46 PM

maine I think too.

RFS62
07-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Hawaii

pedro
07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Alaska

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
maine I think too.
I should have said beaches you can actually swim at. That water's waaay too cold for me.

pedro
07-22-2005, 12:55 PM
I should have said beaches you can actually swim at. That water's waaay too cold for me.

most of the west coast is a problem then. damn currents. :)

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
most of the west coast is a problem then. damn currents. :)

Yep- I went to Cali once and was NOT prepared for that...or rocks.

WVRed
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Sure, Bob Jones is a nutbag, but he doesn't have a lock on the state anymore than the Coors family does Colorado. In all the time I have spent in SC I can honeslty say that no one has voiced an opinion of favor for BJU, or an opinion at all for that matter.
Now, if you want to talk loonies, I think Maurice Bessinger is probably a better example :help: .

IMO, and I dont know this for sure, but I would bet Bob Jones has a pretty strong hold on Greeneville SC at the least.

The whole state, I doubt it, but the college town definitely.

On a side note, my neighbors are graduates of Bob Jones. Could not ask for better neighbors. However, if you were to talk to them, they would both tell you flat out that they did not like the college and how legalistic it is.

registerthis
07-22-2005, 01:33 PM
On a side note, my neighbors are graduates of Bob Jones. Could not ask for better neighbors. However, if you were to talk to them, they would both tell you flat out that they did not like the college and how legalistic it is.
Like that whole inter-racial dating thing. :doh:

registerthis
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
BTW, I'd like to add this as a nomination for "Understatement of the Century"...an actual quote from mr. Bob Jones III:

"We realize that an interracial marriage is not going to bring in the world of antichrist by any means."

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
BTW, I'd like to add this as a nomination for "Understatement of the Century"...an actual quote from mr. Bob Jones III:

"We realize that an interracial marriage is not going to bring in the world of antichrist by any means."
he continued
"...but a whole bunch of them, now that's another story entirely"

LvJ
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
he continued
"...but a whole bunch of them, now that's another story entirely"http://pichold.com/Images/Smilies/JESUSlol.gif

Rojo
07-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Where are the mountains in Texas?

Which, btw, is far worse than SC.

pedro
07-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Oh they have them. They're just made out of white trash.

JK. ;)

Actually the do have some.

In Texas, where more than 97 percent of the state is privately owned, working with private landowners like those in the Davis Mountains to protect their land is essential to meet conservation goals.

The mountains rise like a purple mirage out of the mesquite flats of West Texas. This is what Texans call the Trans-Pecos—beyond the Pecos River, the rainfall meridian, west of which marks desert. But the Davis Mountains, climbing skyward to 8,300 feet, are cool and forested—an anomaly in an arid land.

An isolated mountain range surrounded by desert and grasslands, the Davis Mountains are a “sky island.” Scattered across the Southwest, sky island ranges receive more precipitation than do the plains below, creating a true island of life for many plants and animals uniquely adapted to the cooler climate and higher terrain.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/fieldguide/projectprofiles/dmt.html

SunDeck
07-22-2005, 02:34 PM

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html

KronoRed
07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Alaska
If not for the mosquito's as big as a Volkswagen I would move there.

westofyou
07-22-2005, 02:37 PM
But the Davis Mountains, climbing skyward to 8,300 feet

Those are mountains, unlike the puny 3000 foot ones some can claim.

pedro
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I also hear they have mountains made out of people they execute down there in Tejas.

They call them the Texas "Smokies"

WVRed
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Like that whole inter-racial dating thing. :doh:

Say what you want, but BJU has flip-flopped on the interracial dating.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University)

BJU was founded in 1927 by evangelist Bob Jones, Sr., in College Point, Florida. Jones was the son of an Alabama sharecropper. His stated purpose was to create a school where Christian students could receive a high-quality education in a strongly traditional Christian environment.

The school moved to Cleveland, Tennessee in 1933, and to its present campus in Greenville, South Carolina in 1947.

From its 1927 founding to 1971, black people were prohibited from enrolling. From 1971 to 1975, only unmarried black people were permitted to apply to the school. After the 1975 court decision of McCrary v. Runyon, which prohibited racial exclusion from private schools, the policy was changed. Other public colleges in the south had similar policies at that time, including Clemson University who did not admit their first black student until 1965. A person of any race could apply to the school, but the school adopted a disciplinary rule prohibiting interracial dating or marriage:

There is to be no interracial dating.
Students who are partners in an interracial marriage will be expelled. [461 U.S. 574, 581]
Students who are members of or affiliated with any group or organization which holds as one of its goals or advocates interracial marriage will be expelled.
Students who date outside of their own race will be expelled.
Students who espouse, promote, or encourage others to violate the University's dating rules and regulations will be expelled."
The former policies of Bob Jones University on interracial dating are indebted to the founder's view that the Bible forbids interracial dating and marriage, though today, Bob Jones University sometimes claims that the policy is a product of a (1950s) legal threat on the part of the parents of a female Asian student (who threatened legal action after learning that their daughter was dating a white student).

The school lost its Internal Revenue Service tax exemption in 1980 because of its anti-interracial dating policy. The school appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that the school met the criteria for tax-exempt status on several counts, including that the school's racial discrimination was based on sincerely held religious beliefs. U.S. President Ronald Reagan supported the school's tax exempt status, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1983 in favour of the IRS (see Bob Jones University v. United States, 461 U.S. 574) and the school does not intend to seek tax-exempt status again. In 2000, the policy was dropped in its entirety[1] (after some experimentation with a policy of parental consent for interracial dating) shortly after the State of South Carolina formally legalized interracial marriage.

registerthis
07-22-2005, 03:07 PM
So, in the year 2000, the Powers That Be decided that it was not, after all, a mortal sin to let a white man marry a black woman.

Amazing.

Next thing you know, they'll be claiming that the Earth is, in fact, round!

(p.s.- The quote I provided from Bob Jones III was taken from an interview with Larry King when he announced the end of the school's ban on interracial dating.)

savafan
07-22-2005, 04:28 PM
So, in the year 2000, the Powers That Be decided that it was not, after all, a mortal sin to let a white man marry a black woman.

Amazing.

I was taken aback by that as well.

Let's see, how else to divide the country. Let's give Nevada to the Mormons, seeing as how they already have Utah. The Jewish can have New York. The Mexicans can have New Mexico, and the rest of the hispanics will be moved to California. The African-Americans can have Michigan. We'll give Arizona to the Native Americans. All remaining Democrats will go live in Massachusetts, with all remaining Republicans going to Texas. It's a start to giving every group their own little utopia. Doubt it would solve all of the problems in the world though.

alex trevino
07-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Instead of allowing SC to seceed, I vote for explusion. Then they can have their little Theoracy and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 01:22 AM

Any soil that allows an institution like Bob Jones University to grow unchecked (or at least largely unshamed) has some tainted groundwater. Let's just put it that way.

RFS62
07-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Yep, there are a lot of ignorant racists in South Carolina. It's refreshing to learn in reading this thread that it's the only place left with racism and ignorance.

SunDeck
07-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Any soil that allows an institution like Bob Jones University to grow unchecked (or at least largely unshamed) has some tainted groundwater. Let's just put it that way.

Ever heard of Rick Santorum over there in PA?

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Yep, there are a lot of ignorant racists in South Carolina. It's refreshing to learn in reading this thread that it's the only place left with racism and ignorance.

:beerme:

GAC
07-23-2005, 09:45 AM

KABAM! :lol:

Now now rfs - only Christians are self-righteous finger pointers and judgmental. I haven't figured out what the excuse is for the rest. ;)

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 10:58 AM

That's not what I'm suggesting, that S. Carolina has a lock on racism or ignorance. I'm saying that as a state they clearly don't lean hard enough on institutions that foster racism. I think you know there's a difference there.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Ever heard of Rick Santorum over there in PA?

Again, one man, no matter how wacko or influential, is not the same thing as a university that spouts hatred as its core curriculum. And does so with impunity and arrogance.

SunDeck
07-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Again, one man, no matter how wacko or influential, is not the same thing as a university that spouts hatred as its core curriculum.

Your comment though, indicated that the state supported and allowed this institution to exist. I suppose there is some merit to this, since it is likely that BJU is not paying taxes and receives some state money. But Rick Santorum was ELECTED. Can't come up with a stronger, statewide endorsement of whackobility than that.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Your comment though, indicated that the state supported and allowed this institution to exist. I suppose there is some merit to this, since it is likely that BJU is not paying taxes and receives some state money. But Rick Santorum was ELECTED. Can't come up with a stronger, statewide endorsement of whackobility than that.

Look, you don't want to get into shouting match over Senators from Penn vs. Senators from South Carolina as a gauge of progressiveness.

And take heart: Rick Santorum still enjoys a sub-50% approval rating from the good people of Pennsylvania, and will likely lose to Casey (D) in 2006. So at least when Pennsylvanians make a mistake, they see the error of their ways.

RedsBaron
07-23-2005, 11:49 AM
For what it is worth, Bob Jones University is a private college, so I assume it receives no direct state aid. Its web site, which I just checked, made no mention of government money even being made available for students; I really don't know what the college's policy is, but I do know that some schools won't allow students to use government funded loans or scholarships because of the possiblity that this could open the school to greater regulation.
I'm not a BJU supporter, and I found its former policy banning inter-racial dating to be indefensible. That said, I'm not sure how the state could "lean" harder on the college, short of the state simply banning any institution whose policies the state disagreed with. I don't like Nazis and I don't like Communists, but while I don't want the state to give aid to either, I also wouldn't support a ban on either group. I don't want the state to give financial aid to Bob Jones University, but it has as much of a right to exist as a lot of other entities I disagree with.

RFS62
07-23-2005, 11:56 AM
So at least when Pennsylvanians make a mistake, they see the error of their ways.

Man, I'm gonna have to move to Pennsylvania. Sounds like Heaven.

I can't believe there's all that inner-city charity work you do there, FCB. How would that be necessary in such an enlightened society?

:p:

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Man, I'm gonna have to move to Pennsylvania. Sounds like Heaven.

I can't believe there's all that inner-city charity work you do there, FCB. How would that be necessary in such an enlightened society?

:p:

Trust me, I know Penn has its limitations and its blind spots. Believe me I understand perfectly well the racism that exists right here in this city. Hey, M2 I'm sure can tell you even more than I can about the racism in the 'burbs around the city.

I know racism exists everywhere, and I know it permeates both north and south. But I think there are things like welfare and government programs that exist in states like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York that help put a state's money where its mouth is vis a vis race, poverty, and social enfranchisement that simply don't exist in states like South Carolina. Sure, some South Carolina politician may say the right things concerning race, but South Carolinians aren't going to pony up the tax money to raise the standard of living for their neighbors the way New Yorkers, Michiganders, Pennsylvanians, and New Jerseyians do. To me, it's all about underwriting your "values" with cash.

So no, Penn is no paradise, it's mostly purgatory, with a sprinkle of inferno, but it's not South Carolina, by a long shot.

And to Redsbaron's point about "leaning" on schools: there are many governmental and economic ways to lean on a school to change its philosophies. With private colleges the local businesses often climb into bed.
Force those businesses through incentives to withhold money from the university till they change their evil ways. And often private colleges still receive indirect money from states through tax breaks; twist their arm till they say uncle. In short, don't stand for the behavior. That's what I mean by "leaning' on a school. And the local press is another way to shame the college into rethinking their policies. There are a million ways to effect change in a state's culture--one of them is changing the values in their academic institutions.

RFS62
07-23-2005, 02:37 PM
FCB, I'm just poking fun at you. Hence the smilie.

I really hate it when people make blanket statements about the South, as if we're all inbred, cousin marryin', pickup truck drivin', knuckle draggin', confederate flag wavin' hillbillies. I'll have you know I don't even own a pickup truck. :cool:

If I recall correctly, the last two Democratic presidents were Southerners, Born Again Christians, by the way. I know we can't all be like Steeler fans, sipping Chardonay and eating watercress sandwiches during halftime, but a man's gotta have a dream, dammit!!!

Don't take our dream away, FCB. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2005, 02:42 PM
One of the worst weeks I ever spent was in Philadelphia. A training class for a gasoline card system that the oil company that I worked for had just purchased. Never been around a bunch of people that could have been any unfriendlier. While I realize that all folks in Philly are not represented by this experience, it certainly makes me never to want to go back there. Caught a Reds game at the Vet, while I was there, and I was amazed at the difference in that stadium and Riverfront. It was the dirtiest baseball stadium that I had ever been in. Saw a few rats runnin' around in the walkways. My experience in Philadelphia was not a good one. People were just not very friendly, but then again, I'm a southern boy. ;) Don't think I'd ever make it in the Northeast. :lol:

Falls City Beer
07-23-2005, 03:03 PM
FCB, I'm just poking fun at you. Hence the smilie.

I really hate it when people make blanket statements about the South, as if we're all inbred, cousin marryin', pickup truck drivin', knuckle draggin', confederate flag wavin' hillbillies. I'll have you know I don't even own a pickup truck. :cool:

If I recall correctly, the last two Democratic presidents were Southerners, Born Again Christians, by the way. I know we can't all be like Steeler fans, sipping Chardonay and eating watercress sandwiches during halftime, but a man's gotta have a dream, dammit!!!

Don't take our dream away, FCB. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, my wife is from Nashville, TN. Her family dates back to that area to well before the Civil War. Her ancestors owned slaves.

But she's more liberal than I am. Times change, people change; I'm not that thickheaded.

I just believe that where there's injustice and bigotry (wherever that may be), there HAVE to be voices of scorn and shame to combat them. Nothing else works (complacency and silence we know don't work), and I'm not a fan of violence to remedy racism.

RFS62
07-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I just believe that where there's injustice and bigotry (wherever that may be), there HAVE to be voices of scorn and shame to combat them. Nothing else works (complacency and silence we know don't work), and I'm not a fan of violence to remedy racism.

Well then, we're in complete agreement.

Y'all go back to arguing now, ya' hear.

RedsBaron
07-23-2005, 03:11 PM

Hey! I own a pickup truck!
I don't really like to drive it, but I own one.

GAC
07-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Most of my ancestors/relations migrated from the south (Virginia), and still live in ol' Kintuck, West Virginia (Point Pleasant), and across the river in the rolling hills of southern Ohia (Gallipolis). Of course most were in agriculture (farming). My Dad, when he was a kid during the Depression, spent alot of the summer months on his various relative's farms. His dad worked the railroads and was gone alot, so he would "farm" his boys out during the summer months. Raising us kids, he use to tell us it was the some of the best times of his life. Us being post-war kids raised in the suburbs we never understood that. But growing up he made sure we stayed in touch/experienced that by spending alot of time during vacations with those relatives down south. I can still remember working on my Uncle's soy bean and tobacco farm outside of Owensboro, KY... up at 4:30 AM, HUGE farm breakfast, out in the fields till about 5 PM, HUGE supper, and by 7:30 you dragged yourself (and kissed) the bed to do it all over again the next day. I did get to perfect my fishing though on those farm ponds. On a tobacco farm, grasshopers are the plentiful (and the best bait).

My experiences?... I loved the down to earth, home-spun sensibilities of those whom I experienced in the rural south. And Compared to the huge industrial cities that I have lived in over the course of my life, I'll take Green Acres any day! ;)

My goal when I retire is to find me a cabin in some remote area in the mountains of Tennessee away from all the madness. :lol:

Jaycint
07-23-2005, 09:13 PM
My goal when I retire is to find me a cabin in some remote area in the mountains of Tennessee away from all the madness. :lol:

Just make sure you have an internet connection. :laugh:

GAC
07-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Just make sure you have an internet connection. :laugh:

two cans and a lonnnnnnnng wire! :lol:

traderumor
07-24-2005, 10:06 AM
nm

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM

:laugh: