PDA

View Full Version : Randa to Padres for 2 prospects

penantboundreds
07-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Randa to Padres.

His wife came into Trihealth today and said thanks for all the help, he is shipped to San Diego. Not sure on any other details, but this will go through I guess hindering on the Nevin to O's. Any prospects in mind, maybe they ship us Ponson for Randa?

SteelSD
07-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow. If true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), nice scoop.

Now I'm gonna try to figure out exactly what San Diego supposedly has that the Reds need. Wish me luck because I'll need it.

CTA513
07-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Randa to Padres.

His wife came into Trihealth today and said thanks for all the help, he is shipped to San Diego. Not sure on any other details, but this will go through I guess hindering on the Nevin to O's. Any prospects in mind, maybe they ship us Ponson for Randa?

I hope they dont get Ponson.

Patrick Bateman
07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Any prospects in mind, maybe they ship us Ponson for Randa?

I know Ponson is huge but he still doesn't qualify as two minor leaguers.

bthomasiscool
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Good find, I'm excited to find out who they got!

flyer85
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
I can believe that especially since they dealt Nevin. They Pads need a RH bat.

Outshined_One
07-23-2005, 03:01 PM
I know Ponson is huge but he still doesn't qualify as two minor leaguers.

Well, he IS huge enough to require two seats on the team charter. :D

CTA513
07-23-2005, 03:03 PM
someone on another forum said he was traded for 2 Padres minor leaguers.

Bobcat J
07-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Randa's time in Cincinnati was short, but he played well while he was here. And, he provided a very memorable opening day moment. It was one of the sweetest feelings I've had at a baseball game.

flyer85
07-23-2005, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't mind Thompson and a PTBNL.

Outshined_One
07-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Nevin has a limited no-trade clause and has yet to approve of being dealt to the Orioles, according to Buster Olney.

BuckU
07-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Good Luck to Randa..

sigep529
07-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Buster Olney was just on ESPN News.

Of course... the host asked him several questions about the Nevin deal. He barely mentioned Randa. No word on who the prospects are.

In the meantime...

www.rotoworld.com

The Padres have reportedly acquired Joe Randa from the Reds for two prospects.
No word on the prospects yet. Randa will immediately take over as the Padres' third baseman. The Reds should promote Edwin Encarnacion to replace Randa, but it's possible they'll go with Rich Aurilia for now. Jul. 23 - 2:07 pm et
Source: MSNBC.com

steig
07-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Good luck to Randa, and good post.

creek14
07-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Gotta give pen some pos rep for the scoop (and coming to RZ to post it).

Patrick Bateman
07-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't mind Thompson and a PTBNL.
Why wouldn't you rather Thompson and an actual "named" player?

TeamRanda
07-23-2005, 03:18 PM
:runawaycr . Seriously, good luck, Joe... and I'm outta here! ;)

OrlandoBuckeye
07-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Who is Justin Germano?

SplitFinger
07-23-2005, 03:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114965

Updated: July 23, 2005, 2:15 PM ET
Padres trade minor leaguers for Randa ESPN.com news services

The San Diego Padres acquired third baseman Joe Randa from
the Cincinnati Reds for Double-A pitcher Justin Germano and
another minor leaguer, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

When the deal to trade first baseman Phil Nevin to the
Baltimore Orioles is official, the Padres plan to use Randa
at third base and Xavier Nady at first base.

creek14
07-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Who is Justin Germano?

Mr and Mrs Germano's baby boy? ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7334

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/448929

redsfan30
07-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Who is Justin Germano?
He's a 22 year old righty who has cracked the Majors with San Diego. He has decent strikeout totals for his career and doesn't walk too many. He also seems to be able to keep the ball in the ballpark.

He is the 7th best prospect in the Padre organization and I've got to think he'll be a top 10 with the Reds.

I'm excited to have a 22 year old in AAA with some ML experience.

HotCorner
07-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Accoring to BA, he's the #7 prospect in SD system

RedsIn07
07-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Picture of Justin:
http://pics.forecaster.ca/mlb-player/4437.gif

Also from what I've gathered his curve and change up are his best pitches and he has a high 80's to very low 90's fastball and uses his control well.

Ben from Cincy
07-23-2005, 03:39 PM
I went to look up stats at MiLB.com and Travis Chick would seem to be the other player acquired because his name is now listed with the Lookouts. http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=s_pla&did=milb&q=chick&x=0&y=0

cincy jacket
07-23-2005, 03:41 PM
On Lance's website he has the second prospect as Travis Chick and has this to say about him

Travis Chick
"I've got a lot of confidence that in the next three or four years, our fans are going to be glad we have Travis Chick," the Padres general manager said yesterday.
Coming off a dominant second half of the 2004 season, most of which came after the Padres got him in a trade with the Florida Marlins, Chick quickly became the No. 1 power pitching prospect in San Diego's farm system. San Diego Union Tribune
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050222/news_1s22padres.html

HotCorner
07-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I went to look up stats at MiLB.com and Travis Chick would seem to be the other player acquired because his name is now listed with the Lookouts. http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=s_pla&did=milb&q=chick&x=0&y=0

Chick is rated as the #4 prospect in SD system. He is also listed as having the best fastball in their minors. :thumbup:

If this is true, not a bad haul for Randa.

D-Man
07-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Germano, like many other Padre farmhands, has an underwhelming fastball. Sickels gave Germano a C+ grade. Here is what he had to say in his 2005 book:

"Justin Germano passed the AAA test last year, showing he could get PCL hitters out despite having a mediocre fastball. His curveball and changeup are effective, and he throws strikes. The combination worked well in AAA, but he was a lot more tentative and hittable during a ML trial, leaving his status for '05 in doubt. Some scouts think that Germano is destined to be a AAAA pitcher. . . Others think he will adjust eventually and emerge as an average rotation starter. You can read his numbers either way. . . If you gave him 200 innings would he go 12-10 with a 4.41 ERA, or would he go 6-14 with a 6.13 ERA? Pitchers with his profile can go any number of directions."

I'm holding out hope that George Kottaras is the other player: Kottaras is the only Padre minor leaguer worth a darn. If he's not included, you can color me UNDERWHELMED with this trade.

MasonBuzz3
07-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News is saying Germano and Travis Chick are the two players coming to the Reds.
http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/ken-rosenthal/20050723a.html
Sounds like a great deal for the Reds.
rotoworld's take: According to TSN's Ken Rosenthal, the Padres are trading pitchers Travis Chick and Justin Germano to the Reds for Joe Randa.
A good trade for the Reds, if true. Germano is nothing more than a fifth starter, but Travis Chick would immediately become the club's No. 2 pitching prospect.

RedsIn07
07-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Well it's officially official:
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050723&content_id=1141804&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

07/23/2005 2:36 PM ET
Reds trade Randa to Padres
Acquire pitching prospects; promote Encarnacion

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the acquisitions of RHP Justin Germano and RHP Travis Chick from the San Diego Padres in exchange for 3B Joe Randa.
Germano will be assigned to Triple-A Louisville and Chick to Double-A Chattanooga. Germano is on the 40-man roster, Chick is a non-roster player.

In a related roster move, 3B Edwin Encarnacion will be recalled from Louisville to take Randa's place on the 25-man roster. He will be in uniform No. 12 for tonight's 7:10 p.m. ET game against Milwaukee.

Germano, 22, this season for Triple-A Portland went 7-6 with a 3.60 ERA in 19 starts (112 IP, 111 H, 32 BB, 100 K, 13 HR). He is ranked by Baseball America as the Padres' seventh-best prospect. Germano was selected by San Diego in the 13th round of the June 2000 First-Year Player Draft and two seasons later was the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

Chick, 21, this season for Double-A Mobile, went 2-9 with a 5.36 ERA in 19 starts (97.1 IP, 107 H, 40 BB, 92 K, 12 HR). He is ranked by Baseball America as the Padres' fourth-best prospect, and his fastball is rated the best in the organization. Chick originally was selected by the Florida Marlins in the 14th round of the June 2002 First-Year Player Draft and was traded to the Padres on July 31 of last season in exchange for RHP Ismael Valdez.

Encarnacion, 22, will join the Reds for the second time this season. He began the season at Louisville and hit .292 with 12 HRs and 46 RBIs before he was promoted on June 24, when OF Kenny Kelly went on the 15-day disabled list. Encarnacion hit .222 in 10 appearances and three starts for Cincinnati from June 24-July 5 (18 AB, 3 R, 4 H, 1 2B, 3 BB, 6 K). He was optioned back to Louisville on July 6, after IF Anderson Machado was reinstated from the disabled list.

Earlier this season, Encarnacion was named to the International League mid-season All-Star team and was a member of the XM Satellite Radio All-Star Futures Game World roster. At the Triple-A All-Star Game in Sacramento, an 11-2 loss to the Pacific Coast League All-Stars, he homered to earn International League Player of the Game honors.

For the season at Louisville, Encarnacion hit .314 with 15 HRs and 54 RBIs in 78 games. Last night vs. Toledo. he went 2-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games (20-47, .426, 3 HR, 8 RBI).

Randa, 35, in 92 games for the Reds this season, hit. 289 with 13 HRs and 48 RBIs. He signed with the Reds as a free agent on Dec. 21 and is eligible for free agency following this season.

Casey_21
07-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Good luck, Joe. I'm sure gonna miss that guy. Though I hate to see him go, I am very much looking forward to seeing EdE in a Reds uniform, and maturing into a great 3rd baseman for the Reds for many years to come. Well... not too good.. wouldnt want him traded. :D

Tony Cloninger
07-23-2005, 04:07 PM
How can you be underwhelmed by this trade D-MAN?

Randa is 35 years old.....having a good half season in a hitter's park....and you get 2 potentially very good pitchers.......Pitching is very badly needed in this org. You also have EE ready to go.

D-Man
07-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Here's what Sickels said about Chick (grade B prospect):
"Chick throws 89-92, mixing his fastball with a slider and changeup. His command is very good, and his combined 167/36 K/BB ratio was very, very impressive. Chick hasn't received much attention, but he looks like a sleeper to me. If he continues to sharpen his command, or if his velocity picks up a bit more (or both), he could emerge as an elite prospect. A definite sleeper."

Since that writing, Chick's command has taken a step backwards, which suggests he may be a candidate for arm surgery. On the other hand, he is 21 and striking out a batter per inning in AA, so there certainly is some quality upside there.

I suppose Chick & Germano is an OK return, but this doesn't address the Reds' pitching pipeline problem: all the potential high-impact pitchers are at least 2+ years away. If the Reds are serious about contending in the next few years (and this is unquestionably a top-shelf offense to make a run), then the club needs to churn out some quality pitching immediately.

tts1stros
07-23-2005, 04:09 PM
A very very good return for a 35 year old 3B having a career year in a hitter's park.

Two decent/good pitching prospects. Nicely done by your GM.

D-Man
07-23-2005, 04:20 PM
How can you be underwhelmed by this trade D-MAN?

Randa is 35 years old.....having a good half season in a hitter's park....and you get 2 potentially very good pitchers.......Pitching is very badly needed in this org. You also have EE ready to go.

I was underwhelmed when Germano was the centerpiece of the deal. See my second comment re: Chick above.

I would have thought the Reds could have gotten more from Randa, when it is clearly a seller's market for 3B. I count at least four contending clubs with serious deficiencies at 3B, and not many quality, inexpensive 3B that are available (I count Randa as the only one).

I wouldn't categorize the return as "2 potentially very good pitchers." Germano doesn't look to be much different that Elizardo Ramirez--not a "very good pitcher." Chick has a really nice upside, and I like that he is 21 and surviving in AA. But what are his chances of making a splash in the bigs in the next year or two? I would say less than 20%, whereas the probability that he will face arm surgery is substantially higher.

I would have preferred Kottaras/Germano deal much more. . . Far less riskiness on the return.

Strikes Out Looking
07-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I believe this is a good deal. The Reds get two pitchers that may actually make it to the big leagues for a guy who was leaving town in a couple of months. While neither are going to be number 1 starters next year, Chick is young and may be a real sleeper in the future. I'm glad DanO seems to be working to restock the system with pitchers (and I am of the belief that the young pitchers on the team now have a decent amount of potential (maybe not the Braves of the last decade or Zito-Hudson-Mulder) but better than the Reds have had for awhile).

And best of all, the EE era now begins. Good luck to him.

RDriesen16
07-23-2005, 04:31 PM
im torn. we got something for a 1 year stop gap. but neither pitcher impresses me. a power pitcher who throws 92. HA, thats a joke. and germano is something we have plenty of all read. slow tossers with good command who get rocked in the bigs

RedsIn07
07-23-2005, 04:36 PM
im torn. we got something for a 1 year stop gap. but neither pitcher impresses me. a power pitcher who throws 92. HA, thats a joke. and germano is something we have plenty of all read. slow tossers with good command who get rocked in the bigs
Actually I've read a few articles that say Chick hits 95. Plus BA rated with the best fastball in the Padres orginization.

KittyDuran
07-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I think WLW said that DanO was going to have a press conference soon - [they said 3:30pm].

creek14
07-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Ben from Cincy needs some love (pos rep) for breaking the Chick news.

icehole3
07-23-2005, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't categorize the return as "2 potentially very good pitchers." Germano doesn't look to be much different that Elizardo Ramirez--not a "very good pitcher." Chick has a really nice upside, and I like that he is 21 and surviving in AA. But what are his chances of making a splash in the bigs in the next year or two? I would say less than 20%, whereas the probability that he will face arm surgery is substantially higher.

I would have preferred Kottaras/Germano deal much more. . . Far less riskiness on the return.

I think your assessments are a little to harsh. Ramirez is young and shouldnt be given up on yet. He has had 3 cups of coffee in the Bigs and has been sent down and responded when demoted. Sure he isnt Pedro, give him some slack though he's what 22 or 23. You feel the club needs to churn out some quality pitching immediately...so does every other club that isnt Atlanta or Oakland. Wish it was that easy. I feel this team has the message that pitching wins games...were as in years past we were hung up on the five tool player. I think we're heading the right way. Just keep stock-piling talent.

Willy
07-23-2005, 05:38 PM
The market is what it is for Randa, if no one was offering a better deal that that is what you get.

How can we say we should have gotten a better return, if we have 1. never seen these guys pitch and 2. have no idea what other teams were offering.

Tony Cloninger
07-23-2005, 05:42 PM
I do wish they could have traded with MINN (Who seems to be the only other team that was interested in Randa) BUT they would not bite on any deal that included their high top pitching prospects.

IF Germano can pitch in the PCL, which is a hitter's leauge and with it's (from what i heard/read) small ballparks, then he could survive in the GAB and not get intimidated by it.

I read where Germano also did not trust his stuff the first time around (Seems like most young pitchers are like this) Hopefully he will the 2nd time around. Maybe there is still hope for the Lizard too.

I am hoping for a Mets deal for Casey......i wish DO would include WMP and Milton and see how much more he could get, besides Erik Heilmann.

Krusty
07-23-2005, 05:58 PM
This could be a great trade for the Reds in two or three years. If Germano turns out to be another Aaron Harang, and if Chick develops into a number two or three caliber pitcher, that is a pretty good deal for a stopgap third baseman.

DoogMinAmo
07-23-2005, 06:36 PM
This could be a great trade for the Reds in two or three years. If Germano turns out to be another Aaron Harang, and if Chick develops into a number two or three caliber pitcher, that is a pretty good deal for a stopgap third baseman.

Krusty, you are looking at the ceiling of that trade. Realistically, if Randa can be turned into just one pitcher at or near the quality of Harang, it is a rising success... Would you trade Harang for a Randa type? Didn't think so.

BigREDSfaninKY
07-23-2005, 06:59 PM
What corresponding moves will the Bats and Lookouts make to make room for Germano and Chick?

Ben from Cincy
07-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Edwin being called up makes room for Germano, but I am not sure what move has been/will be made for Chick.

tts1stros
07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
You got the #7 prospect in the Padres organization, plus he's a pitcher. AND throw in another pitcher.

For giving up two months of Joe Randa. It was a great deal: you couldn't get a premium prospect; he just isn't THAT good.

Gallen5862
07-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I posted this on other board. thought this info would be useful here as well.
Reds trade Randa for young arms
07/23/2005 3:24 PM ET
By Kyle Jepson / Special to MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- With all the speculation of who the Reds will trade and when, it was Joe Randa who got the first call from general manager Dan O'Brien.
Randa was traded before Saturday night's game to the Padres for two young pitching prospects.

In exchange for Randa, the Reds acquired right-hander Justin Germano, 22, and right-hander Travis Chick, 21, both starters.

Germano, who was assigned to Triple-A Louisville, was ranked by Baseball America as the Padres' seventh-best prospect before the trade. This season, he went 7-6 with a 3.60 ERA in 19 starts with Triple-A Portland.

Germano did have one stint with the Padres last season. He went 1-2 with an 8.86 ERA in seven games, five of them starts.

Chick might be the best catch for the Reds in the future, though. The young right-hander was ranked the fourth-best prospect in the Padres organization by Baseball America before the deal. His fastball was rated tops in the Padres organization.

This season, Chick went 2-9 with a 5.36 ERA in Double-A Mobile.

The trade will help the Padres fill a big void at third base and replace Sean Burroughs, who has not lived up the team's expectations this season.

For the Reds, the gain is clear. With a much-depleted pitching staff and few pitching prospects in the Minors, the Reds have retooled for the future.

In a related move, Edwin Encarnacion was called up from Triple-A Louisville and will join the team for the second time this season.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

MartyFan
07-23-2005, 08:07 PM

I disagree...I've read stats that have this guy being a stud...Control is important more so than flame throwers....our guys this year have struggled with control...soit sounds as if this guy is in the spirit of what DanO means with a pitch to contact philosophy...he keeps em on th eground.

captainmorgan07
07-23-2005, 09:47 PM
sad to see joe great player and guy but i like what we got in return u never kno we might see germano in the majors in september or earlier

NC Reds
07-23-2005, 09:58 PM
I'll miss Randa but the trade was necessary when you look at our dearth of pitching. Hopefully one of these guys will become a serviceable starter.

If we keep Dunn-Lopez-Kearns-Griffey-Pena together, we can do big things with just serviceable big league starting pitching.

bottom_feeder
07-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Ben from Cincy needs some love (pos rep) for breaking the Chick news.

Ben, you're going to have to settle for this from me. :luvu: :luvu: :luvu:

redsrule2500
07-23-2005, 11:56 PM
I am not a fan of trades for "prospects"

Seems to always turn out to be little to nothing. FREEL better be our new starting third baseman!

Willy
07-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Look at it this way, would the Reds sign two draft picks they knew would make it to at LEAST AA/AAA for 1.5 million dollars combined(Randa's salary for the 1st half)?

Great trade if you ask me.

New Fever
07-24-2005, 01:29 AM
This was said at the beginning of this year about Mr. Chick on BA top 20 Midwest Prospect Chat:

Q: Rainer Wolfcastle from Springfield asks:
Did Travis Chick receive any consideration for the Top 20 after his dominant turn in the league (5-0, 2.13 ERA with a 559 KBB in 42.1 IP)?
A:

Jim Callis: Chick didn't have enough innings to qualify. He did reach 94-95 mph after getting traded for Ismael Valdez, but he's also still trying to develop a second average pitch.

KronoRed
07-24-2005, 01:41 AM
I am not a fan of trades for "prospects"

Seems to always turn out to be little to nothing. FREEL better be our new starting third baseman!

No, it should be EE

Sham
07-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Great trade by DanO. I'm very surprised he got this much for a rental of Randa. Now if he can get anything for Aurilia or Milton, I will really start to reassess my opinion of him.

buckeyenut
07-24-2005, 12:15 PM
EE has already been up. EE is the future of this team at 3B. EE has been tearing the cover off the ball. EE gets the starting 3B job, no questions asked. Freel should be the starting 2B, and hopefully will be soon when Aurillia gets moved.

I really hope Casey and Aurillia go before the deadline. I would like to see Mercker and Weathers go as well, but since both would have reasonable contracts for next year, I can live with keeping both. After that, I would really like to go to war with what I have (assuming Jiminez and Ortiz get nontendered). I think that frees up enough money next season to try and sign another SP to take a shot on, and still brings the payroll down some. We just have to hope Wilson is better once healthy, Milton gets back to at least his career norms and some pitching starts to pan out somewhere in the system.

If Dunn, Jr or LaRue or even Freel get dealt, I really hope it is in the offseason. I think the return will be greater then. If Harang gets dealt, I hope it is now, when he is having a good year and he would be maybe the top SP on the market. I think the odds are about 5% we deal him, but given our needs, I would at least float his name and see if a contender blows me away, knowing full well I can keep him and would need MEGA return to move him.

Raisor
07-24-2005, 08:24 PM
No, it should be EE

...and Freel should be playing second, and Aurilia should be playing for anyone else for whatever the Reds can get for him.