PDA

View Full Version : Best musicians in rock history

RFS62
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Doesn't matter if they're overrated or underrated, famous or infamous.

What bands were the best musicians in rock history?

My vote...

Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

pahster
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Metallica (at least from Load through S&M)
Radiohead
Frank Zappa
Victor Wooten
The Roots' bassist and drummer (They're amazing. Although I guess they're rap.)
Mike Mushok
Jimmi Hendricks
BB King (blues)
Eric Clapton
Brad Paisley (Ok, it's country and I hate it, but I can't downplay his skill)
Tool/A Perfect Circle have done some pretty interesting things
System of a Down does some wild things, but they certainly aren't for everyone.

ghettochild
07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Metallica (at least from Load through S&M)
Radiohead
Frank Zappa
Victor Wooten
The Roots' bassist and drummer (They're amazing. Although I guess they're rap.)
Mike Mushok
Jimmi Hendricks
BB King (blues)
Eric Clapton
Brad Paisley (Ok, it's country and I hate it, but I can't downplay his skill)
Tool/A Perfect Circle have done some pretty interesting things
System of a Down does some wild things, but they certainly aren't for everyone.

i pretty much agree with this list.

pedro
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
The Beatles were pretty damn good musicians

BoydsOfSummer
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
My all-time favorite, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Rave On Stevie Rave On...I miss you man

LvJ
07-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Dylan.

pahster
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Dylan.

Most definitely. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. He can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's an incredible musician and lyricist.

pedro
07-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Most definitely. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. He can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's an incredible musician and lyricist.

He's an incredible songwriter and lyricist, but I'm not sure he can play his way out of a paper bag either.

westofyou
07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Jerry Garcia, the guy could play anything he picked up. His guitar on Crosby's first album is awsome and as unlike the Dead as anything he ever did.

Sam Bush is another guy who could make music out of a corncob and a candy wrapper.

RedsIn07
07-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Not gonna contradict you (I love the Beatles) but I heard Pete Townshend from The Who say this during an interview once:

Interviewer: But wouldn't you say The Beatles have a certain musical quality?
Pete Townshend: Oooh, that's a tough question. Actually, this afternoon, John and I were listening to a stereo LP of The Beatles, in which the voices come out of the one side and the backing track came out of the other. And when you actually here the backing tracks of The Beatles without their voices, their flippin' lousy

Of course i believe Pete called his own band lousy in tha same interview. Just thought what he said was funny.

pedro
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Not gonna contradict you (I love the Beatles) but I heard Pete Townshend from The Who say this during an interview once:

Interviewer: But wouldn't you say The Beatles have a certain musical quality?
Pete Townshend: Oooh, that's a tough question. Actually, this afternoon, John and I were listening to a stereo LP of The Beatles, in which the voices come out of the one side and the backing track came out of the other. And when you actually here the backing tracks of The Beatles without their voices, their flippin' lousy

Of course i believe Pete called his own band lousy in tha same interview. Just thought what he said was funny.

Love Pete, but he's never been very objective. Maybe he's just sensitive because Joe Perry said Pete sucked (yeah Righhhht Joe) and because although he was no slouch himself he was playing with a couple of giants himself.

I know from playing that the chord structures of most beatles songs are very complex compared to a lot of bands. It just isn't easy to play that stuff.

Simon & Garfunkel is another band with crazy chord structures.

Falls City Beer
07-26-2005, 07:09 PM
My vote goes to the Stones--partly because I can't separate the music from the musicianship. You may not grow up trying to sound like Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, or Keith Richards, but when you grow up and try, you realize you can't. In fact, no one sounds like them. Those three (and throw in Mick Taylor) may not be my favorites by themselves, but the subject said "bands," so I feel like I should play along, and talk about the band that contains the greatest number of my favorite musicians.

pedro
07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
He's an incredible songwriter and lyricist, but I'm not sure he can play his way out of a paper bag either.

But Dylan's backing bands have always been top notch.

GAC
07-26-2005, 09:01 PM

It was amazing how they could emulate/play other band's songs while messing around in the recording studio. A craft they honed while toiling in Hamburg, Germany.

And Lennon was highly under-rated as a rhythm guarist. McCartney was very much an innovative bass player. Harrsion could carry his own as far as a lead guitarist (especially slide), but I personally don't rate him very high on the list when compared to some of the greats. Ringo was mediocre at best as a drummer.

But when you put the four together...Oh look out!

Talented musicians...

Bands like ELP and Yes were all classically trained.

Guitarists

Jimmy Page (I agree he was very self-indulgent, but still one of the best)
Eric Clapton (in the 60's 70's. Since then? YECH! )
Ritchie Blackmore (always one of my favorites)
Steve Howe
Jimmy Hendrix (I give him his due, but not one of my personal favorites)
David Gilmour (became a more disciplined player)
Peter Frampton (this guy can really play the guitar. Pop image marred that)
Jeff Beck (Wired and Beckola)
Frank Zappa (brilliant musician overall)

Drummers

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Ian Paice
Bill Ward
Neil Peart
Carl Palmer

Keyboards

Jon Lord
Ray Manzarek
Keith Emerson
Richard Wright
Billy Preston
Greg Allman

RBA
07-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Tramboline:
Shirley Partridge
Tracy Partridge

SunDeck
07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Is this about bands who were great musicians or just great musicians? It would be very hard to pick a band where all were great musicians because so many bands are dominated by a particular person. The Beatles stand out to me as being a group of very good musicians, but I especially liked Paul. His base lines were great and of course his songwriting speaks for itself.
Which brings up a question- I know nothing about percussion, but I like Ringo's stuff. Yet, I've heard it said that he wasn't that good. Any drummers know?

If we're just talking musicians, then my softest spot is for Jerry. I can pick his playing out, whether it's backing up Dave Grisman or playing along side six other guys. He carried his traditional chops with him throughout his music and was almost singlehandedly responsible for making Bluegrass cool in the 70s. That's gotta be worth something.

My favorite group of musicians is a tie between They Might be Giants and NRBQ. TMBG are probably written off because they compose such silly stuff, but after listening to them with my kids so much I came to appreciate their virtuosity. And NRBQ gets the nod because you must have to be great musicians to sound both so sloppy and so tight at the same time.

RFS62
07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Is this about bands who were great musicians or just great musicians?

Either. I was just trying to get some opinions on who people thought were excellent musicians in the rock world.

Relative to your Ringo question, in my opinion he's not a very good musician.

Nor is Alan White of Yes. I far preferred Bill Bruford.

RBA
07-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Did "Chicago" have good musicians?

Falls City Beer
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Either. I was just trying to get some opinions on who people thought were excellent musicians in the rock world.

Relative to your Ringo question, in my opinion he's not a very good musician.

Nor is Alan White of Yes. I far preferred Bill Bruford.

Didn't Bill Bruford play in King Crimson?

ochre
07-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Ringo's no Rikki. Or was that Rikki's no Ringo?

I'm confused.
http://www.rikkirockett.com/music/glit_ad_final1.jpg

RFS62
07-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Yep.

Has his own group now, very good stuff.

dman
07-26-2005, 10:26 PM
What????? Maybe I missed it, but where on Earth is Edward Van Halen on this list. This man single handedly ushered in a lot of the flash (two-hand tapping, artificial harmonics, volume swells etc...) that we now hear many of todays guitarists doing.

Honorable mentions to Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler.

Larkin Fan
07-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Ringo is one of the most overrated drummers out there. Kept a decent backbeat, but he was never really all that great with the sticks. George, Paul, and John were far superior to Ringo as far as musicianship goes.

pahster
07-27-2005, 12:14 AM
It was amazing how they could emulate/play other band's songs while messing around in the recording studio. A craft they honed while toiling in Hamburg, Germany.

And Lennon was highly under-rated as a rhythm guarist. McCartney was very much an innovative bass player. Harrsion could carry his own as far as a lead guitarist (especially slide), but I personally don't rate him very high on the list when compared to some of the greats. Ringo was mediocre at best as a drummer.

But when you put the four together...Oh look out!

Talented musicians...

Bands like ELP and Yes were all classically trained.

Guitarists

Steve Howe

Drummers

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Ian Paice
Bill Ward
Neil Peart
Carl Palmer

Keyboards

Jon Lord
Ray Manzarek
Keith Emerson
Richard Wright
Billy Preston
Greg Allman

Because I am one, I feel that I should add bassists to this list.

Flea
Victor Wooten
P-Nut
Marcus Miller
Jaco Pastorius
Les Claypool
Bootsy Collins
John Pattitucci
Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted (more of a personal favorite, even if he did use a pick)

GAC
07-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Alot of the guys who migrated to bands such as ELP played with King Crimson at one time or another. Late on - Asia.

I made a CD of King Crimson, ELP, and Asia awile back ago. Loved King Crimson's 21st Century Schzoid Man.

I enjoyed such bands as Genesis before Phil Collins turned them into a Pop band.

I got to see Zappa and the Mothers many, many years ago. His whole band was well honed musically.

SunDeck
07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Alot of the guys who migrated to bands such as ELP played with King Crimson at one time or another. Late on - Asia.

I made a CD of King Crimson, ELP, and Asia awile back ago. Loved King Crimson's 21st Century Schzoid Man.

I enjoyed such bands as Genesis before Phil Collins turned them into a Pop band.

I got to see Zappa and the Mothers many, many years ago. His whole band was well honed musically.

I think Adrian Belew played with King Crimson, too. And with Zappa, and Bowie. He's made the rounds with some pretty good company, for a Covington kid.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Hmm, there are so many. I'll list a few that spring to top-of-mind, just from the rock circle:

Neil Peart
Les Claypool
Mike Portnoy
Geddy Lee
Johnny Marr
James Taylor (don't like his music, but the guy can flat-out play)
Jimi Hendrix

As far as people like the Stones, Beatles, Doors, Dylan, Tom Petty, etc. I wouldn't rank anyone from those bands as among rock's greatest "musicians". The sum of their parts is far greater than the whole. For instance, I think I was capable of playing 90% of Charlie Watt's material within a year of picking up a pair of drumsticks. Musicianship and songwriting are two very separate things.

pedro
07-27-2005, 11:13 AM
As far as people like the Stones, Beatles, Doors, Dylan, Tom Petty, etc. I wouldn't rank anyone from those bands as among rock's greatest "musicians". The sum of their parts is far greater than the whole. For instance, I think I was capable of playing 90% of Charlie Watt's material within a year of picking up a pair of drumsticks. Musicianship and songwriting are two very separate things.

yeah, but have you ever tried to play any of the Beatles guitar parts?

Blimpie
07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Guitarists

Steve Howe

I would like to add to your list: SRV, B.B. King, Eddie Van Halen and Carlos Santana

Drummers

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Ian Paice
Bill Ward
Neil Peart
Carl Palmer

Bev Bevan (ELO)

Keyboards

Jon Lord
Ray Manzarek
Keith Emerson
Richard Wright
Billy Preston
Greg Allman

Rick Wakeman

Blimpie
07-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Because I am one, I feel that I should add bassists to this list.

Flea
Victor Wooten
P-Nut
Marcus Miller
Jaco Pastorius
Les Claypool
Bootsy Collins
John Pattitucci
Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted (more of a personal favorite, even if he did use a pick)Geddy Lee and The Ox...Oops, I meant to put Stanley Jordan in with guitarists--not bassists. ;)

westofyou
07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Stanley Jordan, Geddy Lee and The Ox

Stanley Clark

Jaco Pastorius

pedro
07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
John Entwhistle

registerthis
07-27-2005, 12:05 PM
yeah, but have you ever tried to play any of the Beatles guitar parts?
Me? No, I'm not a guitarist, I would suck.

But most of the guitarists I would include on my list could handle them without a great degree of difficulty.

pedro
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Me? No, I'm not a guitarist, I would suck.

But most of the guitarists I would include on my list could handle them without a great degree of difficulty.

Perhaps, but as a guitarist (albeit not a very good one) I'd submit that the rhythym parts are extremely hard. Furthermore, maybe a lot of the guys on your list could play George's leads but as a fan I'm sure you appreciate the tastefulness of what George does do and though it may not be virtuosity, I'd sure call it talent.

pedro
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Mickey Rafael (Willie Nelson's band) is IMO the greatest harmonica player alive.

RBA
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Charo plays a mean guitar.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Mickey Rafael (Willie Nelson's band) is IMO the greatest harmonica player alive.

Mickey knocked on Willies door at the age of 16 and voila.... BTW he is the Dorian Gray of Country Music

Falls City Beer
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Mickey knocked on Willies door at the age of 16 and voila.... BTW he is the Dorian Gray of Country Music

DG the man or DG the picture? Is he a rotting fop?

westofyou
07-27-2005, 12:34 PM
DG the man or DG the picture? Is he a rotting fop?

The man, Mickey looks exactly as he did in Honeysuckle Rose.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Perhaps, but as a guitarist (albeit not a very good one) I'd submit that the rhythym parts are extremely hard. Furthermore, maybe a lot of the guys on your list could play George's leads but as a fan I'm sure you appreciate the tastefulness of what George does do and though it may not be virtuosity, I'd sure call it talent.
Look, as evidenced by my posts in other threads, I have a great amount of respect for the beatles--as a band. Of course they are talented--I never said they weren't, and that isn't what this thread is about. The topic is "Best Musicians..." While Paul, John and George were good and talented, musically, I don't view them as the best--not even close.

pahster
07-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Geddy Lee and The Ox...Oops, I meant to put Stanley Jordan in with guitarists--not bassists. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Geddy Lee. None of the other bassists I know like him either, but we all hate his voice and 80's music in general, so that may be a big reason why we don't care for him too much.

RedsBaron
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Elvis Presley had a couple of fair guitar players backing him at various points in his career: Scotty Moore and James Burton.
I realize he is not a rock artist (though he toured with the Beach Boys), but Glen Campbell is a very accomplished guitarist who played on sessions constantly until his own singing career took off. While I'm on country artists, Ricky Skaggs is a superb musician who played for Emmylou Harris's Hot Band before striking out on his own.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Glen Cambell is an amazing player, as is Skaggs, Roy Clarke and Marty Stuart.

NJReds
07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Look, as evidenced by my posts in other threads, I have a great amount of respect for the beatles--as a band. Of course they are talented--I never said they weren't, and that isn't what this thread is about. The topic is "Best Musicians..." While Paul, John and George were good and talented, musically, I don't view them as the best--not even close.

I agree with that...

And I'd add Stevie Wonder to the list (not necessarily 'rock')

Elton John...his early work, particularly.

RedsBaron
07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
As long as some of us departed from rock musicians to name artists in other genres, then Earl Scruggs should be added to the list.

pedro
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM

fair enough. you're probably right, although I'm not so sure about James Taylor, he never struck me as that great a musician, although he does have a fanstastic voice.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
fair enough. you're probably right, although I'm not so sure about James Taylor, he never struck me as that great a musician, although he does have a fanstastic voice.
You know, he never did me, either...until I watched a special about him on TV, and it showed him in his studio, plucking away on his acoustic--it was unbelieveable. His songs wouldn't necessarily lead you to think that he was that talented, but after witnessing that I came away duly impressed. Again, not really a fan of the guy's songs, but he can definitely play.

:rockband:

SunDeck
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Elton John...his early work, particularly.

Yeah, because we don't know what the heck that stuff was later on. Glad he got cleaned up, but that's about the time he slipped into the realm of Liz Taylor...once great, but now all fat, fuzzy and self perpetuating.

NJReds
07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, because we don't know what the heck that stuff was later on. Glad he got cleaned up, but that's about the time he slipped into the realm of Liz Taylor...once great, but now all fat, fuzzy and self perpetuating.

:laugh:

He can still play, but I'm not a big fan of much of his work from the early '80s to the present. Although I did see him at Madison Square Garden in 1987, and it was a great show.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
There is a plethora of session guys that you've never (or seldomly) heard of but are on a lot of very familiar songs and albums that are probably the best *musicians*.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
There is a plethora of session guys that you've never (or seldomly) heard of but are on a lot of very familiar songs and albums that are probably the best *musicians*.
Very, very true...

Also, I have been sticking solely with rock. I have seen jazz/avant garde guitarists/bassists/keyboardists/drummers who run circles around any rock musician.

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Dylan's singing and playing abilities should be the subject of an entire thread. If you want Perry Como, listen to Perry Como. Dylan is a great rock and role singer, a great singer of American music. Oh well, I think some people feel Hank and Satchmo can't sing either.

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 02:45 PM
James Jamerson -bass. I'm a Memphis man but I will
conceed a few good songs came out of Motown. I like the fact that
Jamerson played on both the Pip's and Marvin's versions of Grapevine. Paul McCartney said "James is my hero". Oh, and in 1983 Jamerson had to scalp a ticket to get a seat for the filming of the Motown 25th Anniversary show. Is
this a great country or what?
And Jamerson is "the greatest bass player whoever lived". If you
don't believe me just listen to:

My Girl - Temptations
Bernadette - 4 Tops
Aint That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye
Ooh Baby Baby - The Miracles
To Many Fish In The Sea - The Marvelettes
Uptight (Everything Is Alright) - Stevie Wonder
Heat Wave (U) - Martha & The Vandellas
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
I Heard It Through The Grapevine (2 recordings) - Marvin Gaye, Gladys
Knight
& Pips
Where Did Our Love Go - Diana/Supremes
Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations
For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
My Guy (U) - Mary Wells
Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Miracles
Love Child - Diana/Supremes
I Guess I'll Always Love you
Dancing In The Streets - Martha & The Vandellas
Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Standing In The Shadows Of Love - 4 Tops
Mickey's Monkey - The Miracles
Cloud Nine - Temptations
Nothing's To Good For My Baby - Temptations
My Baby Loves Me - Martha & The Vandellas
You Keep Me Hanging On - Diana/Supremes
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
Little Darling (I Need You) - 4 Tops
I'm Ready For Love
The Way You Do The Things You Do - Temptations
I Can't Help Myself - 4 Tops
Roadrunner - Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
You're All I Need To Get By - Temptations
You Can't Hurry Love - Diana/Supremes
Shop Around - The Miracles
Ain't To Proud To Beg - Temptations
My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
It's The Same Old Song - 4 Tops
How Sweet It Is - Marvin Gaye
Take Me In Your Arms (And Rock Me A Little While) - Brenda Holloway
Ain't No Mountain High Enough (2 recordings) - Marvin Gaye/Tammy
Terrell,
Diana/Supremes
My Baby Must Be A Magician - The Marvelettes
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - Diana/Supremes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - Temptations
Ask The Lonely - 4 Tops
Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles
I was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
I Second That Emotion - The Miracles
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
Jimmy Mack (U) - Martha & The Vandellas
I Hear A Symphony - Diana/Supremes
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over) - 4 Tops
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Temptations
Get Ready - Temptations
The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game
Stop! In The Name Of Love - Diana/Supremes
That's What Love Is Made Of
Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
Seven Rooms Of Gloom - 4 Tops
Pride & Joy - Marvin Gaye
(I Know) I'm Losing You - Temptations
Two Lovers - Mary Wells
I'll Turn To Stone - 4 Tops
Come See About Me - Diana/Supremes
Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Marvin Gaye
How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
If I Were your Woman Gladys Knight & The Pips
My World Is Empty Without You - Diana/Supremes
The Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles
I'm Wondering - Stevie Wonder
Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye
The Girls Alright With Me - Temptations
Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day - Stevie Wonder
Reflections - Diana/Supremes
What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Temptations
Baby I Need Your Loving - 4 Tops
Quicksand... - Martha & The Vandellas
Reach Out...I'll Be There - 4 Tops
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
The Bells - The Originals
Shotgun - Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
Fingertips (pt2)- Stevie Wonder
Hey Girl - Stevie Wonder
What Are You Gonna Do When I'm Gone (U) - Kim Weston
Still Water Runs Deep - Four Tops
All in the Game - Four Tops
My Baby - Temptations
The One Who Really Loves You (U)- Mary Wells
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left) - David Ruffin
It Takes Two (U) - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
Honey Chile - Martha & the Vandellas
To Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye
When Your Young And In Love - Marvelettes
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
Still Waters Run Deep - Four Tops
If I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight & the Pips
Higher and Higher- Jackie Wilson
Boom Boom Boom Boom- John Lee Hooker
...And countless other Album tunes and "B" sides.

There is a dispute as to whether Jamison or Carol Kayne played bass on
"I was Made to Love Her".

In 2000 James Jamerson was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

REDREAD
07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
And Jamerson is "the greatest bass player whoever lived". If you
don't believe me just listen to:

I hope you were able to cut and paste that list :laugh: You made a strong case though

pedro
07-27-2005, 02:54 PM
That just made me want to go listen to some motown - and I can. I love Rhapsody

westofyou
07-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder

This song can make anyday worth living... even the Beach Boys version

registerthis
07-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Dylan's singing and playing abilities should be the subject of an entire thread. If you want Perry Como, listen to Perry Como. Dylan is a great rock and role singer, a great singer of American music. Oh well, I think some people feel Hank and Satchmo can't sing either.
I've always felt people like Dylan and Lou Reed were very good songwriters--but should never, ever be allowed to sing their own songs again. Dylan anymore sounds like he's perpetually trying to hack up a huge ball of phlegm, and Reed sounds like he just woke up.

Diff'rnt Strokes, I guess, but Dylan's voice has always sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me...

Falls City Beer
07-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I've always felt people like Dylan and Lou Reed were very good songwriters--but should never, ever be allowed to sing their own songs again. Dylan anymore sounds like he's perpetually trying to hack up a huge ball of phlegm, and Reed sounds like he just woke up.

Diff'rnt Strokes, I guess, but Dylan's voice has always sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me...

I agree. I like Dylan alright, but the guy makes Neil Young sound like Maria Callas.

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:02 PM

at yet you like Rush ;) :)

westofyou
07-27-2005, 03:05 PM
If Dylans voice is that bad might I suggest we all avoid the ensuing discussion on Eric Bachman's pipes.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 03:09 PM
at yet you like Rush ;) :)
Hah, yeah I know...

In honesty, though, geddy's toned it down quite a bit in recent years. He doesn't squeek nearly as much as he used to.

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:10 PM
One thing is for sure about Dylan, if you didn't like his voice in the 60's and 70's you sure ain't gonna like it now. I saw him the year and it wasn't too good, to put it kindly.

Merle Haggard opened up for him. his voice, OTOH, is still gold.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
If Dylans voice is that bad might I suggest we all avoid the ensuing discussion on Eric Bachman's pipes.
I don't know about Eric, but his son recorded the single most awful cringe-inducing pop song of the past decade.

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 03:15 PM
My allstar band:

Drums-Al Jackson (Booker T and the MGS) and Hal Blaine ( Listen to Pet Sounds)

Bass- James Jamerson (Motown)

Harp: Walter Jacobs

Rythm Guitar - Steve Cropper (Booker T and the MGS)

Lead guitar - Jimi Hendrix

Lead singers- Elvis, Otis Redding, Van Morrison

Chorus: Aretha, the Beach Boys.

Horns: Satchmo and Miles

Songwriters: Bob Dylan
Hank Williams

Bandleader : Eric Clapton ( a great musicologist)

I'm not into labels- Rock , country, R +B - It all comes from the same places. I think these guys and gals could produce some good sounds.

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I think Brian Wilson would be a hell of a band leader too.

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't know about Eric, but his son recorded the single most awful cringe-inducing pop song of the past decade.

you mean Jacob Dylan?

He's on a list, and it ain't this.

REDREAD
07-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Try to play Harrison's "And your bird can sing" :)

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I think Brian Wilson would be a hell of a band leader too.

No argument, good choice. I wouldn't argue if you said Dennis and Carl Wilson were two of the most underated musicians, or that Sunflower was the best Beachboys album, either.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
you mean Jacob Dylan?

He's on a list, and it ain't this.
No, Tal Bachman...author of "She's So High".

Jacob Dylan...he's alright, nothing like his father. But it's a tad unfair to expect him to be.

ochre
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
For influence purposes where do people like Woodie Guthrie, Robert Johnson, and Maybelle Carter (among others) rate in this type of survey?

Roy Tucker
07-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Dylan's voice is perfect for Dylan's songs and I agree about him being a national treasure. I wouldn't want to hear him sing Aida though.

Other musicians... the house band at Stax Records (Steve Cropper, Booker T Jones, Duck Dunn, Al Jackson) otherwise known as Booker T and MGs. (whoops, Mutaman beat me to it)

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 03:26 PM
For influence purposes where do people like Woodie Guthrie, Robert Johnson, and Maybelle Carter (among others) rate in this type of survey?

At the top. Founding fathers and mothers.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 03:27 PM
No argument, good choice. I wouldn't argue if you said Dennis and Carl Wilson were two of the most underated musicians, or that Sunflower was the best Beachboys album, either.

Got to know a woman.

I'm on a quest to find a copy of Pacific Blue by Dennis.

Cuddle Up and Make it Good are 2 of the greatest Beach Boy's songs ever and Steamboat is a Psychedelic masterpiece.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Booker T and MGs.

backed up Neil on a tour in 94 or so... freaking great.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 03:30 PM
All-Star band...hmmm...OK:

Songwriter: Neil Finn
Lead Singer/band Leader: Brian Wilson
Lead Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Rhythm/2nd Guitar: Johnny Marr
Keys: Jordan Rudess
Bass: Tony Levin
Drums: Dennis Chambers/Jimmy Chamberlain

Blimpie
07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
For influence purposes where do people like Woodie Guthrie, Robert Johnson, and Maybelle Carter (among others) rate in this type of survey?As most Clapton fans, I am also a Robert Johnson devotee. Everytime I hear his name mentioned, I always think about the little anecdote told about him from within the liner notes on one of his CD's I own:

A shy man, Johnson once recorded in a San Antonio hotel room facing the wall for the entire session as several Mexicans looked on. Later rescuing Johnson from jail that night after a police beating, the session producer got a call from Johnson explaining that he was lonesome. The producer asked him to explain what he meant, to which Johnson replied, "I'm lonesome, and there's a lady here. She wants fifty cents, and I lacks a nickel." :D

Mutaman
07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Got to know a woman.

I'm on a quest to find a copy of Pacific Blue by Dennis.

Cuddle Up and Make it Good are 2 of the greatest Beach Boy's songs ever and Steamboat is a Psychedelic masterpiece.

What a coincidence. Somebody just gave me a copy of Pacific Blue and cuts from Bamboo, Dennis' unfinished album. I haven't even listened to them yet. I love Dennis. If you send me your address, I'll make you a copy:

Rander1010@aol.com

Oh, James Jamerson played bass on Pacific Blue too.

wheels
07-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Anton Newcome.

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:45 PM
No, Tal Bachman...author of "She's So High".

Jacob Dylan...he's alright, nothing like his father. But it's a tad unfair to expect him to be.

Different Bachman, we're talking about the singer from the "Archers of Loaf"

pedro
07-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Maybelle Carter pretty much invented country guitar from what I've heard.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Gee, and I thought you all were talking about Randy Bachman of Bachman/Turner Overweight.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 04:03 PM
What a coincidence. Somebody just gave me a copy of Pacific Blue and cuts from Bamboo, Dennis' unfinished album. I haven't even listened to them yet. I love Dennis. If you send me your address, I'll make you a copy:

Rander1010@aol.com

Oh, James Jamerson played bass on Pacific Blue too.

You Sir are my hero..... I am flabbergasted........ Wooo Hoooooooo

pedro
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
You Sir are my hero..... I am flabbergasted........ Wooo Hoooooooo

http://www.ready-steady-go.org.uk/dennis1.jpg

westofyou
07-27-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.ready-steady-go.org.uk/dennis1.jpg

The Dan Fogelbeg Look.

pedro
07-27-2005, 04:15 PM
The Dan Fogelbeg Look.

I was thinking he looked more like the guy who peed on the garage across the street last week.

westofyou
07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
I was thinking he looked more like the guy who peed on the garage across the street last week.

We drank a toast to innocence,
We drank a toast to now.
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness,
But neither one knew how.

registerthis
07-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Woops. Well, anyway, Tal Bachman still sucks.

pedro
07-27-2005, 11:26 PM
steven perkins- janes addiction

Falls City Beer
07-27-2005, 11:30 PM

If you're going to go for antisocial behavior, you could do worse than peeing on a garage.

RFS62
07-27-2005, 11:33 PM

Are you guys going to hold that against me forever?

Matt700wlw
07-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Prince is an unbelievable musician...plays like 20 instruments (at least)

It's a shame he doesn't use those skills on a regular basis...

pedro
07-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm not feeling too bad about Victor Krummenacher from Camper Van Beethoven right now and here is why.

We were walkin' down the road at night
And all the brothers and sisters they were goin' nowhere
Peace and love were not around
Trouble and strife were everywhere

We saw Jerry's, we saw Jerry's daughter

No peace and love were all around
And the brother and sister are free to go where they want and be who they want to be
And nobody wears flowers in the hair
Cuz flowers are everywhere
Flowers are everywhere

Well, some people say
that it's the ice cream truck
But it's not
No, it's not
it's not the magic bus
And it's not one of those family bus'
No, and it's not the ice cream truck
And it's, it's not the sheriff's truck
No, it's not the sheriff's truck
And they say it walks the line between good and evil
And sometimes he's bad, but it's not
And sometimes he's good, but it's not
No it's not
And it's not the magic bus
And it's not the cement truck
No, it's the surprise truck
Surprise Tuck
It's the Surprise Truck
Oh, yeah, it's the Surprise Truck
Surprise Truck
Surprise Truck

Hap
07-28-2005, 08:12 AM
I must give props to Alfred Yankovic. I refuse to call him "Weird Al". For those of you who don't know, he is much, much more than a parodist. In fact, I will be the first to tell you that some of his parodies are horrible attempts at generating a top-40 single (I Want A New Duck, Like A Surgeon, Living With A Hernia, King Of Suede). If you can forget about that crap, you will realize he is a brilliant musician and composer.

His songs that aren't parodies are some of his best (Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White, Christmas At Ground Zero, Melanie, Generic Blues, I Was Only Kidding, Buy Me A Condo, etc......)

Blimpie
07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm not feeling too bad about Victor Krummenacher from Camper Van Beethoven right now and here is why."Take the Skinheads Bowling....Take them Bowling..." :beerme:

GAC
07-28-2005, 08:50 AM

It was several years ago, and I was listening to an interview with CCR's John Fogerty. He was talking on numerous subjects, but it evolved into a discussion on rhythm guitar. He talked at length on how Lennon's rhythm parts were extraordinary and hard to duplicate, and how John was highly under-rated. From that point on, whenever I listen to the Beatles, I purposely pay attention to those sections of the songs. I would do the same with Paul's bass lines. Both were exceptional IMO.

CrackerJack
07-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm not feeling too bad about Victor Krummenacher from Camper Van Beethoven right now and here is why.

We were walkin' down the road at night
And all the brothers and sisters they were goin' nowhere
Peace and love were not around
Trouble and strife were everywhere

No peace and love were all around
And the brother and sister are free to go where they want and be who they want to be
And nobody wears flowers in the hair
Cuz flowers are everywhere
Flowers are everywhere

Well, some people say
that it's the ice cream truck
But it's not
No, it's not
it's not the magic bus
And it's not one of those family bus'
No, and it's not the ice cream truck
And it's, it's not the sheriff's truck
No, it's not the sheriff's truck
And they say it walks the line between good and evil
And sometimes he's bad, but it's not
And sometimes he's good, but it's not
No it's not
And it's not the magic bus
And it's not the cement truck
No, it's the surprise truck
Surprise Tuck
It's the Surprise Truck
Oh, yeah, it's the Surprise Truck
Surprise Truck
Surprise Truck

Great song, they never play it live, for shame.

Suprised no one (that I saw) mentioned Steve Howe or Otmar Leibert...as far as great guitarists go.

CrackerJack
07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
That just made me want to go listen to some motown - and I can. I love Rhapsody

Me too, my friends who are music lovers feel it isn't worth $10/mth...they still buy $13 CD's and don't get it.

I think it's probably the best thing to happen to music in a long time, especially the indie artists out there.

Yachtzee
07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Here's a question about bass players.

I'm not a musician personally, so I don't feel qualified to judge musicians, but I know what I like. There are two bands that I followed in my youth who I especially liked the bass players. One was REM, which was my favorite band up until "Out of Time" came out. The other band was the Pixies, who I still enjoy. So where would Mike Mills and Kim Deal rate among bass players?

I always thought the guys from Devo were pretty good musicians as well. The Dead Milkmen too. I'm not sure what that says for my "ear."

pedro
07-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Here's a question about bass players.

I'm not a musician personally, so I don't feel qualified to judge musicians, but I know what I like. There are two bands that I followed in my youth who I especially liked the bass players. One was REM, which was my favorite band up until "Out of Time" came out. The other band was the Pixies, who I still enjoy. So where would Mike Mills and Kim Deal rate among bass players?

I always thought the guys from Devo were pretty good musicians as well. The Dead Milkmen too. I'm not sure what that says for my "ear."

I wouldn't rate either very high on virtuosity meter, but as artists I think they're both great. Kim really held it down for the Pixies. Saw them in June and she still rocks.

Ravenlord
07-28-2005, 07:36 PM
most underrated guitarists:
http://www.oidossucios.com/comunidad/usuarios/spunky/foto2.jpg
Alexi Laiho, Children of Bodom

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/images/oliva.jpg
Criss Oliva, Savatage

http://www.angelfire.com/music3/metalforever/jon_schaffer_2.jpg
Jon Schaffer, Iced Earth

http://www.savatage.com/pics/jmc/Al-I1.jpg
Al Pitrelli, Savatage/Megadeth/Alice Cooper/Taylor Dane

http://www.icedearth.com.br/shawver.jpg
Randall Shawver, ex-Iced Earth

http://www.his.com/~caesius/nuno.jpg
Nuno Bettancourt, ex-Extreme

most under rated bassists:

http://www.bassinside.com/2003/february/magnusonstage.jpg
Magnus Rosen, HammerFall

http://www.nrk.no/img/178146.jpeg
Joey DeMaio, ManOwaR

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/images/pete-pic1.jpg
Pete Steel, Type O Negative

http://www.speaker-mag.de/photo/Savatage/Johnny_Lee_Middleton_8_02_7.jpg
Johnny Lee Middelton, Savatage

http://www.thetempleofmetal.gr/gallery/months/thumbs_for_birth/skid_row_rachel_small.jpg
Rachel Bolan, Skid Row

under rated vocalists

http://www.aftonbladet.se/noje/0202/18/NOJE-18s29ICED.jpg
Matt Barlow, ex-Iced Earth

http://alas.matf.bg.ac.yu/~mr02235/bg/hansi.jpg
Hansi Kursch, Blind Guardian

http://www.strapsandstuff.com/Dimmu_Borgir_shagrath01.jpg
Shagrath, Dimmu Borgir (reinvented Black metal vocals)

http://www.vampster.com/images/thumbs/manowar_live2002_eric2.jpg
Eric Adams, ManOwar

under rated drummers....

http://www.paiste.com/artists/images/artistphotos/j_jordison2.jpg
Joey Jordison, Slipknot

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum/drummerpictures3/Bill_Ward2.jpg
Bill Ward, Black Sabbath

http://www.lpmusic.com/Pros_That_Play_LP/Players_Roster/images/portnoy2.jpg
Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater

under rated keyboardists:

http://dimmu-borgir.rockmetal.art.pl/Jpg/sbdmustis.jpg
Mustis, Dimmu Borgir

http://www.trans-siberian.com/images/jon-oliva.jpg
Jon Oliva, Savatage/Dr. Butcher/Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2005, 08:58 AM
I agree about Prince.......the guy can do just about anything music wise and can write any type of song (and does so) for just about anyone.

He was on stage for the music jam to George Harrison's "While my guitar gentley weeps." The guy played great.

The Boss can write with the best of them (see all the covers that become hits-- "Blinded by the light" Still do not understand the ****** part............ "Beacuse the Night" Patty Smith's version is great stuff..... "Fire" The Pointer Sister's did that one.)

McCartney can play any instrument and has played all of them, even on Beatles recordings (Why don't we do it in the road comes to mind)

RFS62
07-31-2005, 09:17 AM
The Boss can write with the best of them (see all the covers that become hits-- "Blinded by the light" Still do not understand the ****** part....

Revved up like a deuce

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
:thumbup:

I know..... :laugh: .........still always sounded funnier the other way when we were in our teens and heard that song.

pedro
07-31-2005, 12:20 PM
My vote goes to Zamfir.

he is, after all, master of the pan flute.

registerthis
08-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Dem are some scary guys you got there, Ravenlord. :scared:

zombie-a-go-go
08-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Joe Strummer.