PDA

View Full Version : anniversary gift ideas??

Red in Chicago
07-27-2005, 08:56 PM
my parents will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this weekend...does anyone have any good gift ideas for me? i'm taking them out for a nice dinner, but am lost on a gift...kind of last minute, i know...please help!!! :help:

creek14
07-28-2005, 06:03 AM
A little more info --- do they still work? What do they like - any special interests? What's your price range?

RBA
07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Grandkids?

creek14
07-28-2005, 08:51 AM
If you had a little more time you could have a painting made of their wedding picture.

Or you could get them a certificate to this (http://www.sybaris.com/frameset_flash.html) place. Oooolala!! :luvu:

Caseyfan21
07-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Gift Certificates to their favorite restaurant coupled with some movie passes or tickets to a dinner theater would always work. Gives them a night out, which they may or may not have available depending on their schedules.

Sweetstop
07-28-2005, 11:14 AM
There's great theater in Chicago...maybe a pair of tickets, or if they are art fans, tickets to the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit at the Art Institute and lunch in the garden there (my daughter got me this for my birthday..I can't wait). It would depend on their interests. White Sox play-off tickets maybe :) (if their allegience isn't on the north side of town)?

ochre
07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Grandkids?
My parents enjoy my children. I think RBA has it right: get 'em grandkids...

:)

cumberlandreds
07-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Just go and spend some time with them. I know as my parents have gotten older they just enjoy and appreciate the time they get to spend with their kids and grandkids. It's cheaper and longer lasting than any gift you can give them.

LincolnparkRed
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
There's great theater in Chicago...maybe a pair of tickets, or if they are art fans, tickets to the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit at the Art Institute and lunch in the garden there (my daughter got me this for my birthday..I can't wait). It would depend on their interests. White Sox play-off tickets maybe :) (if their allegience isn't on the north side of town)?

My parents took us to the Toulouse exhibit, it was pretty cool, he was a big drinker and used to hang out with hookers in Paris while doing some artwork so there is a little for everyone.

creek14
07-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Lincolnpark - your avitar is wrong on so many levels.

pedro
07-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Lincolnpark - your avitar is wrong on so many levels.

like the empire state building of wrong.

KronoRed
07-28-2005, 03:59 PM
What's wrong with happy purple guys? :D

creek14
07-28-2005, 05:35 PM
What's wrong with happy purple guys? :D
Krono, darlin', it's what's making him happy that has me :eek:

creek14
07-28-2005, 05:38 PM
If you had a little more time you could have a painting made of their wedding picture.

Or you could get them a certificate to this (http://www.sybaris.com/frameset_flash.html) place. Oooolala!! :luvu:
Yes, yes I am quoting myself. Sybaris isn't trashy or anything. It's very nice. And :nono: to you youngins' who think old farts don't like a little romance and hot sex. (Sorry to say that about your parents, Red, but they did it at least once).

Roy Tucker
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
like the empire state building of wrong.
pedro pedro pedro, I think you could have chosen a better metaphor.

My parents never had sex. I was spontaneously combusted.

RBA
07-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Interesting. Are the RedsZone10 going to have their next "get together" there? ;)

pedro
07-28-2005, 06:39 PM
pedro pedro pedro, I think you could have chosen a better metaphor.

I was only speaking about the many levels.

Are you getting the empire state building mixed up with some other building?

KronoRed
07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Krono, darlin', it's what's making him happy that has me :eek:

He's slapping his belly...

Isn't he?

PLEASE tell me he is :eek:

ochre
07-28-2005, 06:54 PM
He's slapping his belly...

Isn't he?

PLEASE tell me he is :eek:
uh. sure, that's what he's doing.

LincolnparkRed
07-28-2005, 06:55 PM
uh. sure, that's what he's doing.

if you guys need me to take him off I will but like I said in the gamethread it was all my wife's fault, she found him :evil:

pedro
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
if you guys need me to take him off I will but like I said in the gamethread it was all my wife's fault, she found him :evil:

no... actually I think it's funny. I sent it to a friend.

KronoRed
07-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Enough! he's slapping his belly and pointing at some food

YEESH

That's what I plan to tell myself :D

Sweetstop
07-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Another thread co-opted...and all this poor guy wanted was some tips for an anniversay gift...after my 37 years of "wedded bliss" (well, marriage, anyways) hot sex ain't all that bad an idea. I say the sexy Toulouse art exhibit followed by a trip to one of the nice S&M clubs around Bucktown. ;)

creek14
07-28-2005, 07:03 PM
No, don't take him off - we're just playing with you.

And I just realized - that statement is probably wrong on a lot of levels too.

Oh and sorry about the thread hijack, Red in Chicago. Just go with the Sybaris gift certificate. :)

pedro
07-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I think gift certificates for a good restaurant are a good idea. Someplace your parents might enjoy but might be hesitant to shell out the cash for.

My parents are having their 50th next year. We generally don't get them anything, it's really their night, but I think it's nice that you are. 40 is a big deal.

Yachtzee
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Geja's is a great place for an anniversary dinner.

http://www.gejascafe.com/

Red in Chicago
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
(Sorry to say that about your parents, Red, but they did it at least once).

:yikes: :barf: :scared: :shocked: :explode: :eek:

Larkin Fan
07-29-2005, 12:53 AM
:yikes: :barf: :scared: :shocked: :explode: :eek:

Creek, look what you did. He'll never be the same again.

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 02:30 AM
I dunno about anyone else but I was hatched

;)