PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite episode of WKRP in Cincinnati?

Johnny Vander m
07-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Most poplar was when Carlson threw out the turkeys over town on Thanksgiving Day and thought they could fly but mine is when they had these little chicks dancing in a store front window when they were realy on a hot-plate covered with foil. Oh so many good ones, such a great cast with Herb, Less, Flytrap and all. Oh how I wish that show was still on.

Johnny Footstool
07-29-2005, 01:25 AM
The one with Bailey and the Soviet defector. "Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer."

Scrap Irony
07-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Johnny's reactions getting faster the more he drank.

CrackerJack
07-29-2005, 01:49 AM
It's a shame series like "Night Court" have full seasons out on DVD but not WKRP.

Go to Amazon.com, search for it under DVD, and it'll give you an option to put your e-mail address in there to vote for it's production and also be notified if it ever comes out.

Danny Serafini
07-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Sadly I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32189&highlight=wkrp

alex trevino
07-29-2005, 08:05 AM
The episode when Travis ex-gf the rock star came back into his life and left again.

cumberlandreds
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
The Christmas show is very good. Everyone shows up at Jennifer's apartment with a Christmas tree because they she was going to be alone. But she was actually getting ready to go to Bethlehem. As Johnny Fever said,"Now that's a real down home Christmas."
I wish it would be released but I doubt that it will anytime soon.

RFS62
07-29-2005, 08:47 AM
The softball game was pretty funny.

SunDeck
07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Les' hair piece.

I don't remember the one with the defector. I thought that was a Barney Miller episode? Did they rip that off?

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
The one where Les asked Jennifer to be his date when he receives the coveted Silver Sow Award from the Peter Piper Pork Packer's Guild.

It was also the one where he put masking tape down for everyones "office".

Raisor
07-29-2005, 09:42 AM
The Phone Cops...

The station has a bomb threat, so Travis sends Fever and Venus out to the tower to broadcast from. Johnny somehow destroys a telephone so he thinks it's the "Phone Cops" blowing up the tower.

RFS62
07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Man, that was a great series.

Chip R
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
That's tough to choose. Of course the turkeys episode was a classic. I love the softball game cause whenever someone on here talks about moving a player to a position he never played before cause Pete Rose did it, it reminds me of that episode where every time they moved Les to a different position they got him to do it cause they told him Rose played 2nd, 3rd, etc. I thought the Phone Cops and the drunk test episodes were great too.

zombie-a-go-go
07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
I've never seen it. We weren't allowed to watch television, growing up. :lol:

Heath
07-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Not enough bandwith to describe my favorites - loved the Cincinnati references albiet some were negative - The Who concert tribute - Sparky as a sports-talk host - Herb's line about Les' manual in case communists invaded Cincinnati (HERB: Who's going to invade us? Dayton? If they did, we'd kick their butts)

If pinned down - I'd say the episode with Sparky, the Turkeys, and the one that some TV Network wanted to do a show about WKRP-and the TV network made up a "Bizzaro" WKRP - where Les got walls.

It was a very good series - some were just stupid - but most made you think.

FWIW - and DANGER AT YOUR OWN RISK - someone's got all 90 episodes of the WKRP for sale - (they are located in Canada)

WKRP on DVD ( http://kozaksdiscount.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_Id/35/categ_id/2/parent_ids/0/Name/WKRP_in_Cincinnati_)

Heath
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Oh btw - any WKRP thread I'm sure will get some form of Bailey vs. Jennifer debate. Here's a picture of Jan Smithers to get us through for the purposes of said above.

http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/images/wkrp1.jpg

SunDeck
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Oh btw - any WKRP thread I'm sure will get some form of Bailey vs. Jennifer debate. Here's a picture of Jan Smithers to get us through for the purposes of said above.

Oh, Jennifer hands down...and Mary Ann.

Together. :evil:

Johnny Footstool
07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I don't remember the one with the defector. I thought that was a Barney Miller episode? Did they rip that off?

It was Episode 39, airing in January of 1980.

http://epguides.com/WKRPinCincinnati/guide.shtml

Apparently, they have taken all references to "Tiny Dancer" out of the reruns due to legal issues.

I don't know about the Barney Miller thing, though.

Johnny Vander m
07-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Two other episodes worth mention, When Johnny told Less about the Bermuda Triangle and that Ohio had one also that ran from Cincinnati up to Dayton and over to Columbus and back. Less went storming into Carlsons office worried over the fact that his Mother lived in Dayton.

And the time a day before Christmas and every one was leaving but some could not get a plane ticket, Less told them they should have planed ahead, he in fact had a round NON/STOP ticket to Dayton. Ah Less, and too many good ones to ever forget. The best sit/com ever on TV.

pedro
07-29-2005, 08:00 PM
It's a shame series like "Night Court" have full seasons out on DVD but not WKRP.

Go to Amazon.com, search for it under DVD, and it'll give you an option to put your e-mail address in there to vote for it's production and also be notified if it ever comes out.

I understand that since the show used so many popular songs that the licensing is too expensive/costly.

CrackerJack
07-29-2005, 08:50 PM
I understand that since the show used so many popular songs that the licensing is too expensive/costly.

Thanks, saw someone else mention that also on Amazon.com, I don't really get it. Do other stations who re-broadcast or syndicate the show also have to pay for each and every song that was ever played on it? Some kind of royalty situation? How utterly ridiculous.

Did the original contracts really account for DVD sales in the year 2005? (or anything close to it)

I just have a hard time believing that's the case, but for all I know it's true.

redsfanmia
07-29-2005, 09:36 PM
My favorite episode other than the obvious Turkey Drop (which is in my opinion the funniest sitcom show ever) is the phone cop episode. Johnny ranting about how the phone cops dont mess around killed me. I also like the episode where a DJ was using cocaine and told Carlson that it was foot powder and he was putting it on his feet when Venus told him what it was he started yelling "I have a monkey on my foot".
Classic show and I wish it would come out on dvd or atleast nick at nite or Tvland.

Raisor
07-29-2005, 11:01 PM
I wish it would come out on dvd or atleast nick at nite or Tvland.

It's on rotation on TV Land/Nick at nite. They'll show it for six months or so, then rotate it out with another show for awhile..

It's been awhile since it was on, so it might be due to be rotated back in.

Reds Nd2
07-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Yes, but they finally released Miami Vice on DVD, so theres always hope.

Northern Dancer
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I like the "Fish Story" episode where Herb dressed up as the WKRP Carp mascot. I remember him trying to use the washroom but the zipper of his outfit was stuck or something like that. There was another radio station mascot that he got into a tussle with as well. Pretty funny.

Incidentally, in the TV Guide Special Issue of Winter 2001/2002, they listed the "Top 10 Episodes That Had Us In Stitches".

Beating out the top episodes of I Love Lucy, Cheers, Seinfeld, All in the Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, was WKRP's Turkey's Away episode. Yaaah! :party:

IowaRed
08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
The Turkey episode was great. I also like the Who concert episode, the "Real Families" TV Show episode where a reality show visited the Tarleks, the episode where Herb accidentally spray painted his daughter's pet frog named "Greenpeace", and the episode where Richard Paul played a priest who ran a group called CURB (clean up radio broadcasting) that tried to censor WKRP and the "obscene" music it was playing

Chip R
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah. They had a lot of plain funny shows but they also had "message" shows. Like the amphetimine one or the one where Carlson was talking a little girl into the basement during a tornado. The Who concert show was another one.

KronoRed
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
The Turkey.

The end had be laughing for hours.

Dan
08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."