PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous Snake Hiding In Toilet Bites Woman

macro
07-29-2005, 11:21 AM
This story came out last week. Since no one has posted it, I will.

Have you ever been sitting there and out-of-the-blue and for no good reason started to wonder "What if...?" What if "something" were to be in there? Have you ever gone so far as to get up and look?

This will give you something to think about the next time you lift the lid. Snakes are one of, if not my biggest, fear. My fear of them is actually irrational, since I won't be around a small non-poinsonous baby snake.

If this were to happen at my place, there would be a realtor sign in the front yard and a U-Haul backed up to the front door in less than an hour! :laugh:

http://www.wltx.com/fyi/fyi.aspx?storyid=29067

Snake In Toilet Bites Woman

(JACKSONVILLE, FL) - Going to the bathroom will never be the same for a Jacksonville woman, not since she was bitten by a water moccasin that was apparently hiding in her toilet.

Alicia Bailey spent three days in the hospital. She's now at home but she's not resting comfortably. She remembers what happened the night she got up to go to the bathroom. "Walked in (to the bathroom) opened up the lid to the toilet and got bit by the water moccasin on the leg."

She was bitten once on the thigh, and given the size of the bite on her leg, many predict it was a very big snake. Alicia says, "His head was every bit of three fingers wide."

She was rushed to the hospital and given anti-venin, but no one knows what happened to the snake or how it got into the house in the first place.

There are woods behind the family's home, and recent rains, the snake could have been looking for higher and dryer ground. The family now thinks he could have gotten into the home through the dog door, but there's still a fear, it hasn't left.

Alicia's husband, Richard is searching the home trying to find the snake. He says, "What we're leery about is closets and drawers." He carries a big stick around the house as he looks for the snake and at times his shotgun. "We're not looking to take it alive. I just want it out of here."

Alicia just wants her life, and her house, back.
"We're currently very uncomfortable in our home and toilet shy I would say, and real anxious for closure."

The Bailey's have an 11-year old son who is now staying with neighbors. They said, doctors told them, given the size of the snake, if it would have bitten him instead of Alicia, he probably would not have survived.

RFS62
07-29-2005, 11:30 AM
I was working a flood in Texas once, and the house I was inspecting had been flooded with about 1 foot of water throughout the home.

They had already pulled all the carpets, and I was done with the inspection, talking to the folks as I was about to leave.

Suddenly, a snake crawled out of a pile of debris in the front yard, and darted right into the weep hole in the brick siding. That's basically a small opening to allow moisture to get out, but it also let this snake get in.

The wife went ballistic. She was screaming and yelling and running around like a madwoman. The husband knew with absolute certainty that if he didn't get that snake out of the wall, his wife would never set foot in that house again. So, he grabbed a shovel, and ran inside and started chopping out the sheetrock on the exterior wall the snake had gone in. He chopped and chopped, no snake. The way brick houses are built, there's plywood sheathing on the outside of the studs, and the bricks are outside of that. I kept trying to tell them that the snake probably couldn't get past the sheathing, but they were having none of that. He beat the holy crap out of his walls for 20 minutes, and still no snake.

By this time, the wife was completely freaked out. She was talking about buying new stuff and never setting foot in that house again. The husband had such a sad, hang dog look. She imagined the snake coming out of the walls in the middle of the night to "get her".

I was ready to leave, and all of a sudden the snake poked his head out of the weep hole. I yelled at the guy, and he swiftly chopped the snakes head off with the shovel in no doubt the most important athletic move of his life.

The snake had never been able to go far, like I was trying to tell them, but it didn't matter. She really, really didn't like snakes.

Redsland
07-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Rats can climb up sewer pipes and emerge in toilets.

Just sayin'.

MWM
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I've read a story before of a snake in the toilet. As a matter of fact, I'm so petrified of snakes, I've developed the habit of looking when I lift the toilet seat. I know it's irraitonal, but snakes are the one thing I'm frightened of more than anything else in thsi world.

westofyou
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Outhouse Chickens will peck your butt.

My wifes GM grew up on a farm in the 20's she loaths snakes beause of the outhouse trek. Once a copper head fell on her lap from the door as she was about to sit down... she threw that sucker out and ran.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
I've read a story before of a snake in the toilet. As a matter of fact, I'm so petrified of snakes, I've developed the habit of looking when I lift the toilet seat. I know it's irraitonal, but snakes are the one thing I'm frightened of more than anything else in thsi world.

Spiders. Brrr. Eight legs is just wrong .

RFS62
07-29-2005, 11:52 AM
I've got some snake stories now.

Once when I was at Boy Scout camp, we were on a hike and came across a huge snake. We surrounded it, and were just checking it out. One of the guys there was a drum major in his high school band. He carried around the big baton they use everywhere he went. The snake moved towards him, he stuck out the baton, and it wrapped around it. He paniced and flung the snake, through the air, right at me. I have a slow motion memory of a snake flying through the air right at me. It hit me on the thighs, and I'm wearing short pants. I was hopping and jumping and kicking like a frog on crack trying to get that snake off me. Then I turned around and ran as hard as I could. About 100 yards into my dash, I started getting madder and madder as the terror wore off. I turned around and ran back and beat the crap out of that idiot, which really wasn't much of a beating, I was only 12 years old.

He was several years older than I was and much bigger, but I was crazy I was so mad.

westofyou
07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Spiders. Brrr. Eight legs is just wrong .

My bro-law is soooo afraid of them. It borders on obsessive, won't do yard work won't go in the garage. As a kid his dad got bit by a brown recluse and his arm blew up real bad.

They don't bother me... I smoked one in a bong once on a dare.

RFS62
07-29-2005, 12:09 PM

Daaaaaammmn

Johnny Footstool
07-29-2005, 12:14 PM

That is SO Jim Coombs.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
As a youth, my brother and I spent enormous amounts of time just messing around in fields and woods.

One day, we decided to see how many snakes we could catch. We were pretty good at it and we ended up with over 100 snakes that we put in a cardboard box. My mom called us in for lunch. We decided to leave the box in the garage till after lunch and we went in for PB+Js.

We forgot to tell my mom about the box. She went out in the garage while were eating and the next thing we know, we hear a scream from the garage that sounds like she has stared into the abyss of Hell. My brother and I exchange "whoops" looks, neighbors come running, we get yelled at by everyone, my mom never forgives us, Dad beat us when he got home, etc etc.

But it was still pretty funny.

macro
07-29-2005, 12:18 PM

A spider or a brown recluse spider?

Falls City Beer
07-29-2005, 12:24 PM
My bro-law is soooo afraid of them. It borders on obsessive, won't do yard work won't go in the garage. As a kid his dad got bit by a brown recluse and his arm blew up real bad.

I don't get wigged out by them or not do yardwork because of them, I just find them incredibly nasty looking. And all those damn eyes. Yech.

I still don't kill them when I see them: they eat the 'squiters, which is alright with me.

My punk neighbor as a kid used to throw daddy longlegs (which aren't spiders technically) onto a hot grill and watch their legs shrivel beneath them. Kid was an ass.

westofyou
07-29-2005, 12:24 PM
As a youth, my brother and I spent enormous amounts of time just messing around in fields and woods.

One day, we decided to see how many snakes we could catch. We were pretty good at it and we ended up with over 100 snakes that we put in a cardboard box. My mom called us in for lunch. We decided to leave the box in the garage till after lunch and we went in for PB+Js.

We forgot to tell my mom about the box. She went out in the garage while were eating and the next thing we know, we hear a scream from the garage that sounds like she has stared into the abyss of Hell. My brother and I exchange "whoops" looks, neighbors come running, we get yelled at by everyone, my mom never forgives us, Dad beat us when he got home, etc etc.

But it was still pretty funny.

Cool... so... how is Wally Theodore?

BTW it was a "wolf" spider.

RedsBaron
07-29-2005, 12:30 PM
As a boy, my dad used to catch snakes. There were a lot of black snakes in the barn on the farm where he lived. One day, he was way out in a field when he saw a strange looking snake. He grabbed the snake by the tail just as the snake went into a hole. Dad told me that he pulled and pulled with all his might, but he couldn't pull the snake out of the hole.
That night, my dad told his father about the snake, explaining how disappointed he was not to have been able to pull the snake out, because he had never before seen a snake with "knobs on its tail."
Realizing that his son had been attempting to pull out a rattlesnake, my dad's father gave stern instructions to quit trying to catch snakes.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Cool... so... how is Wally Theodore?

Mom didn't wear pearls but did wear a dress most of the time. Dad smoked Kents instead of a pipe and was known to knock back a few Canadian Clubs. We did have a friend that was uncannily like Eddie Haskell. My brother and friends would all take turns punching me. I still have knots in my shoulders.

creek14
07-29-2005, 12:57 PM
One day, we decided to see how many snakes we could catch.
In Centerville?

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 01:17 PM
In Centerville?
Nope. Up through 6th grade, we lived in Berea OH, a suburb of Cleveland. Home of Baldwin-Wallace College. My best friend lived a couple houses from Lou Groza. By the time we moved to C'ville, my mind was on other things besides snakes and frogs.

Redsland
07-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Salamanders?

:)

westofyou
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
By the time we moved to C'ville, my mind was on other things besides snakes and frogs.

Well, I think of that girl from time to time
I call her up when I got a dime
I say, "Hello, baby"
She says, "Ain't you cool"
I say, "Do you remember when
"And would you like to get together again"
She says, "I'll see you after school"

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I hate this topic. :help:

;)

Jeremy Piergallini
07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Snakes, spiders and cats. All from Hell and Satan's creation. Unfortunately all have their good place in the ecosystem.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
We get black snakes that wander through through our yards every so often. Just a few weeks ago, a black snake was in our neighbor's garage. The neighbor came over to our house looking for my son who is famous for catching roving neighborhood snakes (he said he learned it from watching Animal Planet). Since he wasn't home, the duty fell to me since he neighbor was completely freaked and none of his family could go in the house till the snake was gone.

I tried first to grab him behind the head but the snake was all coiled up and p-o'ed from all the commotion (he had just been laying in the sun minding his own snake business). He tried to go behind a shelving unit and I was able to grab his tail. That sucker was *strong* and I had a hard time pulling him out. Once I got him free, I held him at arms length and the crowd that was outside the garage watching me emitted a collective shriek and the crowd parted.

The snake was still a little p-o'ed and was alternately trying to bite my leg and coil back up my arm. I kept whipping him out which kept him at arms length (literally). I finally got to the back fence where there is a field and I frisbee'ed him over the fence where he landed in a tree. A neighbor videotaped the whole thing and I didn't realize I had such an audience. Snakes just don't bother me.

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 02:34 PM
When can we see the video? :D

macro
07-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Roy, I'm trying to figure out if you are brave or crazy.

My brother-in-law found a baby copperhead lying in his open toolbox in the garage, and merely took him to the edge of the yard and tossed him. I found that INSANE! That thing will be back, and it will bring its parents and siblings next time! I would've never slept in that house again. In fact, it would have been for sale later that day, and I would be renting a hotel room.

PickOff
07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
This whole story begs the question: seat up or seat down? I vote up.

zombie-a-go-go
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Rattlesnake's good eatin'.

Joseph
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm as terrified of snakes as anyone. Just last week I had an encounter with a snake, don't ask what kind because I don't know. I was coming down my driveway and in the island part between our circular guest drive lay a giant [maybe not giant, but well over 4 feet long] snake. I stopped the Xterra and lowered the window to look at it a little better. It didn't move, it looked a little bulbous in parts the same way an intestine does. I, being a huge fan of Eric Cartman of South Park decided the best way to tell was to throw things at it. I had a few pennies in the console, so I began to chuck them at the still not moving snake. I hit it with one or two and no reaction. I decide it's dead, so I go park the truck and grab the shovel, dead or not I'm still not touching it. About this time my wife comes out and asks whats going on and I point out the snake to her. She's a little creeped, but I assure her its dead and I'm just about to dispose of the caracass. She says ok and tags over with me and and we stare for a moment. Then in true Cartman fashion I hit it with the shovel and say 'Thats a bad snake, bad!' Soon as my shovel connects with the head it springs to life, less than a foot from my legs. My wife takes off running for the house and I begin trying to cut the damn things head off, after a few steps back of course. I 'spear' at him with the shovel a few times as he begins to wriggle and coil up and hit it behind the neck splitting it open and eventually severing it's head.

Scary scary scary.

Reds Nd2
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/1552/640/pottysnake.jpg

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Roy, I'm trying to figure out if you are brave or crazy.
I was a Boy Scout and know the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes. I don't get anywhere close to venomous snakes. Otherwise, they're just snakes :shrug: Cats bite worse than snakes.

Spiders are what get me. They give me a big ole case of the willies. And I'm the designated spider disposal agent in the house (not killing, disposal, I hate to kill things so I catch them and throw them out the back door going aaaaaaaugggghhh the whole time).

GAC
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
GEESH! I'll be checking the toilet everytime I sit down for the next month!

I'm like Indiana Jones - I have a deathly fear of snakes. I hit a garter snake this summer with my weed wacker - flipped it straight up into the air! Needly to say - I had to change my shorts. ;)

Last spring I looked out the front window and saw this huge black snake lying in my front yard. I walked out gingerly to get a better look and this thing was about 7 feet long. I called the local game warden and he asked me if I had any pine trees on the property. I said yes, I have two huge blue spruce. He said it's probably a corn snake and they are harmless. They live in the those types of trees.

Meanwhile, while I'm on the phone, my two kids are out there with sticks teasing this thing. They got it all riled up. I stuck my head out the door and yelled at them, and the snake crawled off into the big blue spruce beside the house. The same blue spruce that I have to mow around!!

My daughter has mowed the back yard ever since. ;)

REDREAD
08-01-2005, 02:50 PM
By this time, the wife was completely freaked out. She was talking about buying new stuff and never setting foot in that house again. The husband had such a sad, hang dog look. She imagined the snake coming out of the walls in the middle of the night to "get her".

Man, I can really feel for that guy. Never understood the irrational fear of snakes. :laugh:

Blimpie
08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm as terrified of snakes as anyone. Just last week I had an encounter with a snake, don't ask what kind because I don't know. I was coming down my driveway and in the island part between our circular guest drive lay a giant [maybe not giant, but well over 4 feet long] snake. I stopped the Xterra and lowered the window to look at it a little better. It didn't move, it looked a little bulbous in parts the same way an intestine does. I, being a huge fan of Eric Cartman of South Park decided the best way to tell was to throw things at it. I had a few pennies in the console, so I began to chuck them at the still not moving snake. I hit it with one or two and no reaction. I decide it's dead, so I go park the truck and grab the shovel, dead or not I'm still not touching it. About this time my wife comes out and asks whats going on and I point out the snake to her. She's a little creeped, but I assure her its dead and I'm just about to dispose of the caracass. She says ok and tags over with me and and we stare for a moment. Then in true Cartman fashion I hit it with the shovel and say 'Thats a bad snake, bad!' Soon as my shovel connects with the head it springs to life, less than a foot from my legs. My wife takes off running for the house and I begin trying to cut the damn things head off, after a few steps back of course. I 'spear' at him with the shovel a few times as he begins to wriggle and coil up and hit it behind the neck splitting it open and eventually severing it's head.

Scary scary scary.Uhm...Joseph? Have you been on my property lately?
http://mitosurbanos.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/javelin.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I guess they get hungry in Calcutta...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050801/asp/jamshedpur/story_5058682.asp

Painter eyes Guinness, snacking on snake
- Food facT File: 4,000 Reptiles eaten
RAJ KUMAR

It is normally a difficult task to satisfy Neeranjan Bhaskar when he is hungry. The reason sounds a bit startling but the 35-year-old man, who is a painter by profession, prefers his plate of snakes.

Well, not exactly a plateful of cooked snake meat, but live snakes, which the man claims to be eating since childhood.

In fact, he eats a snake everyday, claiming the credit for gobbling up more than 4,000 snakes, including different types of cobras and kraits, till date.

Recounting the first time he ate the reptile, Bhaskar said: “It was the rainy season of 1977. I was just about seven years old, a student of Bal Brahmachari High School in Ranchi,” he said in drawling voice.

“A dhor snake had attacked me. I tried hard to get rid of it, but the snake did not leave me. When I could not find a way to get rid of it, I bit the snake, in a fit of anger and pain. I continued biting it and finally ate it.”

The first experience was “interesting”, says the painter and added that the snake’s blood had tasted strange.

“Since that day, I started eating a snake everyday,” adds the man with a proud smile.

Bhaskar’s parents had remained ignorant about their son’s appetite for snakes for at least seven years. “My father noticed (the snake eating) when I was 14 years old. He tried to stop me. But I had already developed an addiction for snakes,” he said.

He gave a live demonstration before a team of journalists by catching a dhamin snake from the banks of the Ghaghara river, gobbling it up in 15 minutes. A native of Arah district, Bihar, Bhaskar wants to get himself a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

“The present world record of living with deadly snakes is for 32 days. But I am sure I can stay with the reptiles for 40 days at a stretch if given a chance,” he added.

He admits he had to face health problems because of his eating habits. Doctors at Sadar Hospital did not entertain me when they came to know that I ate live snakes,” said Bhaskar, who had gone there to get treatment for typhoid. He is married and has four daughters, whom he has trained to deal with snakes without fear.

RAJ KUMAR

Chip R
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I guess a snake a day doesn't keep the doctor away.

Puffy
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I have a story! I have a story!

Back when I lived in Syracuse one of my roommates went out and got a ball python. Cute little guys. Not cute enough for me to hold or anything, but cute and quite harmless.

One day my roommate had the snake out and around his neck while sitting on the couch. The snake was slithering around and got into the couch, wrapped part of himself around a coil or something and my roommate (not wanting to hurt the snake) let him go, and the snake went full body into the couch. At this point we moved the couch away from the wall and began to search for the snake. We even cut the back of the couch open to get a better look, but dagburnit, we could not locate him. We searched for over three hours and just couldn't find him, but we knew he was in the couch.

So we all decided to leave him there for now, thinking he'd show up. Well, I was not completely down with this plan, cause I am not a huge snake fan, but what else could we do. The next morning we searched the couch again and nothing. So now the snake was gone. Everynight for the next month I checked my closet and put a towel under my door so no snakes could crawl in and still nothing.

For three months we never heard hide nor hair of the snake, so we figured he found a way out of the house and was free. Then one night my other roommates girlfriend gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Luckily she turned on the light, and she saw the snake with its head sticking out of the toilet bowl. Without screaming or anything, she calmly walked back to her boyfriend's room and told him that she thinks a snake is in the toilet. He told her to sac up, and that she was just seeing things. But she persisted and dragged him in there and sure enough the snake was in the toilet.

And we made fun of her for the rest of the time they dated about how funny it would have been had she sat on the toilet without turning the lights on! And she did not find this as funny as we did.

Oh, and the snake was fine, we got him out of the toilet and back into his living quarters.

KronoRed
08-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Peeping tom snake :lol:

macro
09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Okay, I've gotta bring this oh-so-pleasant thread back to the top to tell a quick (new) snake story and ask a question.

I was sitting on the front steps talking on the phone yesterday when a snake poked its head out of the ground right beside the sidewalk. I got off the phone and yelled for my wife to bring me a shovel, and as I turned to take the shovel, he disappeared. Since he was nowhere to be seen, I assumed he had gone back into the ground. I tood the shovel and dug a 3' by 1' area about 12" - 14" deep, but no snake. After chopping around in the sod and dirt for a few minutes, I gave up and went inside. A few minutes later I went to the front door, and he was sticking his head out of the ground again, in that same area I had dug up! I quickly raced out to the site and chopped him in half with the spade.

It turned out to be a harmless brown snake, but it still gave me the willies.

Now, my questions: How do those things get down into the ground? The ground was hard, so how do they do it? And where was the thing while I was digging in his area?

LoganBuck
09-07-2005, 12:06 AM

Now I can tell my wife I leave the seat up for her own protection!

LoganBuck
09-07-2005, 12:17 AM
My story!

My family went to a state park on Labor Day probably 10 years ago. While we were sitting around my younger brother went swimming. A hawk carrying a corn snake was flying over and dropped the snake in the water about 10 feet from my brother. I have never seen him move so fast. It is still the running joke of all family outings.

dman
09-07-2005, 12:53 AM
When I was deployed to the Middle East with my Guard unit, you learn quickly to tip your boots upside-down to make sure that there aren't any scorpions hiding out in there. I'm also petrified of spiders and there are the ugliest ones called Camel Spiders over there that I really didn't care for. Here is a pick if you've never seen one.

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4509/images/camel%20spider%2001-2.jpg

Caseyfan21
09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I have a pretty good snake story, although this guy was only a rat snake.

We have a barn behind our house that has been a haven for mice but never for anything else. Behind our house/barn is a small forrest (used to be bigger but all the development has shrunk it down to maybe 50 feet or so by our house).

Anyways, one day I pulled out our lawn mower and gassed it up/primed it. It's one of the ones where you pull the cord quickly to start it up. I pulled the cord and it kept catching, it wouldn't go all the way. I gave it about 4 tries and got nothing, then the end of a snake tail whipped out from underneath and nailed my leg. Needless to say, the snake was wrapped around the inside of our mower. I also hate snakes and so does my dad. We both grabbed shovels and assumed a safe perimeter after my initial shock wore off. The snake eventually came out and it was huge, probably 4.5 feet no joke - biggest rat snake I've ever seen in the woods around my house by far. It was hurt from the mower and it was also ticked, it assumed an attacking position and was striking at us as we wildly swung shovels :laugh:

It had to be a very humorous scene in retrospect because my dad and I were going no where near that thing and it was probably as scared of us. It eventually made it back into the woods as we chased it with shovels at a distance.

This snake eventually gained legend status in the few houses around us. It showed up one day in my neighbor's wood pile and scared him. My other neighbor saw it another time at the edge of the woods. My dad and I evetually realized where it was living (our barn) when our field mouse problem totally stopped. The worst part was our barn was really small so if you tried to nail the snake in there, it would either go back behind stuff or come at you (neither was worth it for us). It became the ritual for opening the barn: trying to locate where the snake was hiding. Oftentimes it would sit on the top shelf all coiled up and just stare at you as you moved around (scared the heck out of me to go in there). One time I walked in and it was coiled around the shovel on the wall just chilling there.

Our little (actually huge) buddy took up residence for at least a year. During this time, it shed several skins which allowed us to measure it. It was approximately 4 and 3/4 feet.

Last winter, the snake either moved out or died. We haven't seen it since then and there have been no other reported sightings. I still do the snake check everytime I open the door and still turn up the mower at a distance everytime before I start it.

WebScorpion
09-07-2005, 01:38 PM
When I was deployed to the Middle East with my Guard unit, you learn quickly to tip your boots upside-down to make sure that there aren't any scorpions hiding out in there. I'm also petrified of spiders and there are the ugliest ones called Camel Spiders over there that I really didn't care for. Here is a pick if you've never seen one.

The 'Camel Spider' is not a spider at all. It is a member of another group of arachnids known as Solifugae. They will only bite humans accidentally and they're neither poisonous nor necrotic. I think humans fear them because they're FAST...they can giddyup around 10mph for extended periods. They eat other insects and they're mostly nocturnal, so I guess it's a little freaky to hear one crunching up a beetle in the dark. HA!

You got something against Scorpions? :devil:

Snakes? Bah, they're too big to be REALLY stealthy. :D

dman
09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
The 'Camel Spider' is not a spider at all. It is a member of another group of arachnids known as Solifugae. They will only bite humans accidentally and they're neither poisonous nor necrotic. I think humans fear them because they're FAST...they can giddyup around 10mph for extended periods. They eat other insects and they're mostly nocturnal, so I guess it's a little freaky to hear one crunching up a beetle in the dark. HA!

You got something against Scorpions? :devil:

Snakes? Bah, they're too big to be REALLY stealthy. :D

No, Nothing against scorpions at all. I tried to bring one home, but couldn't get customs to let me do it. It's funny, because the job that I do requires the use of a blacklight, and we would go out at night and shine the blacklight on the ground. You should've seen those creatures light up. That was actually an easy way of finding them outside.

christina578
01-23-2012, 01:21 AM
the lady is my step mom. i remember when this happened i was 5

lidspinner
01-23-2012, 08:24 AM
here is my snake story....like another poster above, my friend and I went out one day to see how many snakes we could catch, we filled a 5 gallon bucket to the tip top....I couldnt even tell you how many snakes were in there or what types, I am sure they were not poisonous being we found them in here in Ohio, but there could have been a copperhead or water moc maybe, I dont know.....but we placed a piece of OSB board on top of the bucket to stop them from getting out, we wanted to drive to our friends house and show him, I think we were 16-17 years old at the time.....anyhow, I sat in the back of the pickup truck with the snakes so I could hold the board on the bucket.....my friend started drving down the old abanded train tracks and hit a big bump and BOOM, me and the bucket went about 2 feet in the air and the bucket landed right on my chest......

I am not the slightest bit afraid of snakes, never have been.....but I almost shat my pants right there....I screamed like a girl and jumped full go out of a moving truck...I had snakes on my chest, neck, legs, face, you name it they were covered on me and not one bite.....I quickly learned that most snakes dont want to bite you, they want to run from you......I also quickly learned that I dont want to mess with snakes ever again...

story over.

RichRed
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
This thread reminds me that I miss creek14, Redsland, and FCB.

Also, snakes are creepy.

GAC
01-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Wow Mike! I'm the same exact way guy - and it is probably an irrational fear - because I have read of similar stories in the past... and I hate (petrified) of snakes.

About 5 years ago I looked out our window and saw this huge snake laying in the front yard. It was approximately 6 feet long. I went out on the front porch, checking it out, and I thought it was someone's exotic "pet" that maybe got loose so I called the county game warden. He had me describe the snake, and asked if I had any pine trees on the property, which I do. He then said it was a corn (pine) snake, and that's where they make their home. YEAH, BUT DO THEY GET THIS FRIGGIN BIG? LOL

It ended up slithering away into the big pine next to my house, and I said to myself... "OK. That tree has to come down." Whenever I mow around it I keep a watchful eye waiting for that snake to poke it's head out. LOL

Rachel's senior year in high school, she was in Animal Management, she brought home all types of critters. I called her Ellie Mae Clampett. I went into her room one day though and she had brought home a snake. She was sitting at the computer playing with this thing. I about died right there. I told her that thing does not, under any circumstances, come out of her bedroom.

Last summer I hit a garter snake with the weed whacker while trimming around some landscaping timbers next to my driveway. The snake went in the air, the tool went in the air, and I was in the house before any hit the ground. LOL

RedsfaninMT
01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Nice to see our "boy scout" post about knowing the difference between venomous snakes vs. non-venomous ones. There are no "poisonous" snakes. In other words, you can touch them and you won't die unless they bite you - and inject their venom. Having seen someone rub their eye after touching a poison-arrow frog, I can tell you there is a distinct, disturbing difference.

Had a job once exploring the sugar cane fields around the everglades. I wore snake proof boots, so the occasional water moccasin I saw didn't worry me. Alligators were a whole different story. Nothing like going through knee-deep water and hoping a gator didn't pull me under.