PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play MVP 2005

NastyBoys1990
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
if so please reply here, and post what team (no one else but the Reds, IMO) and what your Lineup/Rotation lookslike

KearnsyEars
07-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I played with the reds but i got sick of it. I play with the tribe now

kheidg-
08-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I played with the Reds for a season but then switched to a fantasy draft. I do have Kearns and Pena on my team though.

GoReds
08-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Same deal. Played a season with the Reds and then went to a fantasy draft.

Started out with Dunn, Freel and Pena. Traded Dunn for Harden and a couple prospects. After several more trades, my team looks like this...

Pierre CF
Roberts 2B
Berkman 1B
Pena RF
Myself ;) LF
Encarnacion 3B
Adams SS
Fuentes/Paul C

Bench: Tim Raines Jr., Carlos Pena, Paul/Fuentes, Freel

Rotation:
Rich Harden
Edwin Jackson
Travis Blackley
Brett Myers
Ryan Madson

Pen:
Eric Bedard
Jesse Crain
Juan Cruz
Javier Lopez
Mike MacDougal
Brandon League
Latroy Hawkins

LincolnparkRed
08-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I actually played with the D-backs and am in the LCS vs. the Mets

Terrarro CF
Clayton SS
Gonzalez LF
Glaus 3b
Kearns RF (for Green)
Tracy 1B
Roberts 2b (for Cintron)
Hammock C

Church
Kata
Hairston
Snyder
V. Diaz

Rotation
Vazquez
Russ Ortiz
Fossum
Ledezma
Webb

Pen
Cordero (in AAA with Nats)
Gosling
Gonzalez E.
Halsey
Koplove
Aquino
Valverde

MrCinatit
08-02-2005, 10:31 AM
i've been playing in Dynasty mode...i simmed through the 2005 season, then dumped many at the end of the year. my lineup is now:

ss - FeLo
2b - Freel
3b - Brian Allen (i...uh..admit i always create a player named Brian Allen for all of my teams, have done this since the beginning of time, and will always do this. Allen is a very good player).
cf - Junior
lf - Dunn
rf - Pena
1b - Casey
c - Fuentis (I am not sure who Fuentis is, but it appears he is a catcher in the Reds's system. the guy who Fuentis is based on might not be very good...but the game seems to think this guy is a freaking stud).

backups:
infield - a couple of kids who only exist in the virtual world.
outfield - Kearns, who is getting a lot of playing time to rest Griffey, and keep Dunn away from lefties. he has also been played at first a lot.
catcher - LaRue.

pitching:
Some guy named after me. Hey, what can i say. doing pretty good for a 37-year-old rookie (10-3, 2.45 ERA).
Harang.
Claussen.
Dontrell Willis. yeah...Marlins actually offered him to me, for some remarkably mysterious reason. They wanted - get this - Milton and Aurilia. i deferred the trade and threw in Weathers.
Ben Sheets. Free agent.

bullpen:
Ryan Wagner, closer.
Luke Hudson, Josh Hancock and Homer Bailey are also in the pen. Hancock is about to take his 6.04 ERA to AAA, while Bailey is about to take his 2.06 ERA to the starting rotation in place of Claussen. the rest of the spots are taken up by rookies.

present record, as of July 6: 50-31, five games over the Cardnals.
a couple of weeks back (game time), i played a 17 inning marathon vs. the ChiSox, which i lost, 1-0 on a freaking walk-off homer...i groved a pitch to some yahoo whos name escapes me. believe it was his second major league homer.

OldRightHander
08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I use the Reds of course. I'd have to start the game up to actually see all of my bench and bullpen guys, since I've really overhauled the pitching staff. My lineup looks like this.

SS Felipe
1B Casey
CF Griffey
2B Jim Coombs :)
LF Dunn
RF Pena
3B Kearns
C Larue/Fuentes (I'm not sure if that Fuentes guy is real or not, but he's pretty good and will be starting in another season.)

rotation
Me
Harang
Claussen
Moss (think I got him in a trade, but I can't remember)
Homer Bailey (He's Raul Perez in the game, so you have to edit his name.)

The bullpen is somewhat wacky at the moment.

Kaz Tadano
Samuels
Wagner
Belisle
(a couple others I can't remember off hand)

On the bench I have Freel, Fuentes, Hideki Inoue (speedster who playes 2B, future leadoff guy when Griff retires and Coombs goes to the outfield) and a couple other guys who escape me at the moment. I have Kearns starting at 3B, but will plug him into the OF to give one of them a break and put one of the bench guys at 3B. I had Randa, but traded him when the Reds did, just to keep some semblance of accuracy about the whole thing.

I won 94 games the first season and swept the Yanks in the Series (sweet) and I'm on a second season now, but still early. I've won 6 and lost 2 and I have a 1 game lead on the Cards at the moment.

MrCinatit
08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
ok, just took a quick look through the Reds' rosters and such...is it possible this Fuentes fellow is supposed to be Miguel Perez.
kind of reminds me of how a couple of roster makers for High Heat turned Braves catching prospect John McCann into a stud.

reds44
08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I play with the Reds I will post my rosters later.

OldRightHander
08-02-2005, 12:34 PM
ok, just took a quick look through the Reds' rosters and such...is it possible this Fuentes fellow is supposed to be Miguel Perez.
kind of reminds me of how a couple of roster makers for High Heat turned Braves catching prospect John McCann into a stud.

It might be. I think he was in Sarasota when I started my first season, but he progressed rather quickly through my minor league system. Wily Mo has turned into an absolute monster for me in the second season. Believe it or not, I actually pitched rather well with Milton as well, but I still unloaded him just to get rid of the salary. Anyway, take a look at this Inoue guy. He's a second baseman in the Mets farm system and he's listed as one of the top 100 prospects or something like that. You can get him for pretty cheap and he'll be a superstar after a couple seasons in the minors. He's fast as lightning and has decent power as well. I don't know if he's a real player or not, since I don't follow minor league systems outside of the Reds.

GoReds
08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Milton and Casey were huge for my first season with the Reds. Casey had 40+ HRs and Milton won the Cy.

This is the second year of the "new" dynasty with the fantasy draft. Wily Mo had 46 HRs and 138 RBIs. The guy would kill any fastball on the inside portion of the plate.

OldRightHander
08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Milton and Casey were huge for my first season with the Reds. Casey had 40+ HRs and Milton won the Cy.

This is the second year of the "new" dynasty with the fantasy draft. Wily Mo had 46 HRs and 138 RBIs. The guy would kill any fastball on the inside portion of the plate.

That's been my experience with Casey as well. He just crushes the ball on that game. Perhaps that has something to do with them modeling him after the season he had last year and not this year. Milton is a good pitcher on there as well if you know how to use him, but he just makes too much money.

kheidg-
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I never have hit over 20 HR with Casey. I am in the 2/3 through a season with Dunn and he already has like 45 and 100 RBI.

NastyBoys1990
08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Ryan Freel- 2B
Felipe Lopez- SS
Ken Griffey Jr.- CF
Adam Dunn- 1B
Wily Mo Pena- LF
Austin Kearns- RF
Edwin Encarnacion- 3B
Jason LaRue- C

Bench
Larkin-SS/2B
Jimenez- 2B/SS
Cruz- RF/1B
Javier Valentine- C/1B
Sean Casey- 1B (gonna trade him)

Rotation
Aaron Harang
David Bush (currently DL'd, brought up Steve Kelly)
Luke Hudson
Brandon Claussen
Paul Wilson (gonna trade him for a minor leaguer)

Bullpen
Ryan Wagner
Kent Mercker
David Weathers (gonna trade him)
Todd Coffey (he is lights out, i created him)
Ramon Ortiz (gonna trade him)
Matt Belisle

I got Daivd Bush in a trade with the Blue Jays. I traded Eric Milton, Rich Aurilla, and Damain Moss for Bush and Steve Brassard (he'll be in CF once Griffey starts sucking)

reds44
08-02-2005, 09:07 PM
My team

Freel LF
Lopez SS
Griffey CF
Dunn 1B
Kearns (vs. righties) WMP (vs lefties) RF
Orlando Hudson 2b
Brian Schnider C
EE 3B

Pitching staff
Harang
Jerome Williams
Milton
Claussen
Runelveys Hernandez

Pen
LRP Lizard
MRP Standridge
MRP Wagner
Set up Belisle
Set up Todd Jones
Closer Mercker

Bench
Valentin C
Bergolla IF
Bill Hall IF
Eric Karros 1B
Brady Clark OF
Pena (vs. righties) Kearns (vs. lefties)

I think thats my whole team

captainmorgan07
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
the first thing i do is trade danny graves to any takers for whatever couple minor leaguers usually works

MrCinatit
08-03-2005, 07:31 AM
i had to turn make it so all teams would accept anything i threw at them in order to get rid of Graves. heck, even offered him to the Mets for their lowest A player. they weren't biting.

i'm thinking of going through the rosters, and doing some of my "best guess" work for who the actual players being represented in the lower minors. i've been trying to go for a bit of realism, and knowing who is who would be quite helpful.
have done a couple searches, and so far, i have only been able to find the usual suspsects...so and so is EE, so and so is Coffey, so and so is Bailey. could be a bit of work, but hey....realism is realism.

Heath
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
<---tosses his Strat-O-Matic baseball game in the trash...........

westofyou
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
<---tosses his Strat-O-Matic baseball game in the trash...........

Don't do that.... good game strat is, ain't a player sim but lets you manage.

Baseball Mogul or Diamond Mind?

I bet Boyds says DM.

Caseyfan21
08-04-2005, 11:54 AM
i had to turn make it so all teams would accept anything i threw at them in order to get rid of Graves. heck, even offered him to the Mets for their lowest A player. they weren't biting.

i'm thinking of going through the rosters, and doing some of my "best guess" work for who the actual players being represented in the lower minors. i've been trying to go for a bit of realism, and knowing who is who would be quite helpful.
have done a couple searches, and so far, i have only been able to find the usual suspsects...so and so is EE, so and so is Coffey, so and so is Bailey. could be a bit of work, but hey....realism is realism.

I thought only the best top 100 prospects were actual players in the game with different names?

If you google the game and prospects, there are lots of lists out there compiled of who's who in the minor league top 100 prospects. You can also edit player appearence and attributes so I went through and used a list of the Reds top 40-50 prospects and tried to make them similar on the game (I'm a loser, I already know). If you have the computer version, there are also patches you can download and install that people have gone through and updated all the rosters and added all of the minor leaguers. Try mvpmods.com for these.

realreds1
08-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes, I do. I was quite obsessed with that game for a while! I started out with the Reds and did really well -- Milton was a potential Cy Young candidate, Jimenez was putting up monster numbers...

Then I realized this wasn't a fair fight, so I took over the Devil Rays. I kept their roster intact and went up against the Sox and Yankees. Again, my team did really well. (Of all people, Joey Gathright is my fave player in the game.)

Question: why is Kevin Millar absent from the game? Instead, you get some dude named Anthony Friese with a bad dye-job.

OldRightHander
08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Yes, I do. I was quite obsessed with that game for a while! I started out with the Reds and did really well -- Milton was a potential Cy Young candidate, Jimenez was putting up monster numbers...

Then I realized this wasn't a fair fight, so I took over the Devil Rays. I kept their roster intact and went up against the Sox and Yankees. Again, my team did really well. (Of all people, Joey Gathright is my fave player in the game.)

Question: why is Kevin Millar absent from the game? Instead, you get some dude named Anthony Friese with a bad dye-job.

Millar isn't the only one missing. There is Bonds as well. I think it has something to do with players not belonging to the MLBPA. Initially I found the game to be a bit too easy, so I just bumped up the difficulty and adjusted the sliders a bit so the gameplay is a bit more realistic. I knew when Jim Coombs (actual created player on my team!) hit 85 homers, it was time to make some changes.

guttle11
08-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Millar isn't the only one missing. There is Bonds as well. I think it has something to do with players not belonging to the MLBPA. Initially I found the game to be a bit too easy, so I just bumped up the difficulty and adjusted the sliders a bit so the gameplay is a bit more realistic. I knew when Jim Coombs (actual created player on my team!) hit 85 homers, it was time to make some changes.

you mean John Dowd isnt real? ;)

Its a very good baseball game. Adjust the sliders and difficulty and it is realistic. Too bad it's the last EA MLB game for a long time. Sega will make the only one. I have heard rumblings about EA making a College Baseball game..

I played the Reds, kept the roster in tact and won the world series. now I play the Orioles and actually traded for Sosa. Current record is 67-21 with a ton of simmed games. I only play games vs. top teams. My record vs. the cpu is like 29-12 on All-star level

VI_RedsFan
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes I play MVP and I'll have my fantasy roster up on here soon. I'm not that good at hitting (I find it tough to hit homeruns with Dunn and Griffey) but I'm getting better. I'm gonna try adjusting the sliders like you guys suggested, the game is pretty unrealistic, especially with the pitching. My starting pitchers usually only throw like 50 pitches per game! And if anyone has any hints on hitting, I'd really appreciate it, I just find it so frustrating that I've only hit 2 homers with Dunn since I've gotten the game.

RedsManRick
08-04-2005, 01:40 PM
I just finished season #1. I passed the Cards in the last week to take the divison. I only played one game out of every series.

- Milton won the Cy Young with 22 wins and an ERA under 2.00.
- Freel won the batting title with a .358 average. He also hit 15 bombs but stole only 17 bases (caught 14 times...)
- Casey hit more homers than either Dunn or Griffey (38)
- Dunn K'd 240 times. I'm impatient...

Heath
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Don't do that.... good game strat is, ain't a player sim but lets you manage.

Baseball Mogul or Diamond Mind?

I bet Boyds says DM.

I'm not that old...but I'm not a "gamer".

There is nothing, nothing like toss two dice onto the floor and getting a random number letting you know what your player did.

I must say, I'm intrigued about online "sim-type" leagues that the games are played with out operators and letting you be GM types and stuff

That's why I like fantasy baseball over computer video-type games.

jmcclain19
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
If anyone is interested, here's a list of updated guys for the game who've been called up since opening day

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/mvp_baseball_2005_cap.txt

It includes the created guys not in the game like Gardner, Bergolla, Coffey, Shackleford, Keisler, etc

Now this file has the rosters to begin the season, with player edits and updates

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/mvp_baseball_2005_edit.txt

I'd bookmark both of those if you're into roster accuracy.

I'm in the middle of my 3rd season as the Royals. I've won the AL Central 2 years running, but were dumped by the Bo Sox in both years in the playoffs.

My lineup is

C- John Buck - (Develops into a 25-30HR a year Stud BTW)
1B - Mike Sweeney
2B - Ruban Gotay
SS - Chris Ainsworth - Game created Free Agent at the start of the game
3B - Mark Teahen
LF - Rocco Baldelli
CF - Brad Wilkerson
RF - Tim Mauer - Another Game Created Free Agent at the start
DH - Ken Harvey

P - Brandon Webb
P - Denny Baustista
P - Zack Greinke
P - Dennis Tankersley
P - Danny Haren
SU - Mike MacDougal
SU - Jose Capellan
CL - Jeremy Affeldt

I signed Webb and Baldelli, along with free agents at the beginning of the franchise. My AAA squad has been great for trades thanks to a bevy of guys I signed right off the bat. Trades netted me Capellan, Haren & Wilkerson, along with Gavin Floyd, who is my long reliever.

I like it - but a time crunch has left me w/o playing it for the last few weeks.

realreds1
08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
P.S. Why do these ballplayers in MVP get so mad at you in this game? :) I had Austin playing right field every day, batting fourth, and I'd just given him a 3-year deal worth $1M per. And he still complained about his playing time...

Caseyfan21
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
P.S. Why do these ballplayers in MVP get so mad at you in this game? :) I had Austin playing right field every day, batting fourth, and I'd just given him a 3-year deal worth $1M per. And he still complained about his playing time...

Amen, I had the same thing happen with Adam Dunn. Of course, Danny Graves complained too so I just flat out released him. :evil:

I'm going to start my season over after my first year, and I have created all of the players based from that website. I have been using Luke Hudson at the back of my bullpen with Ryan Wagner as my setup man.

HBP
08-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Finished my first year the other day, World Series champs.

Like someone else said, I couldn't hit any HR's with Dunn, so I shiped him, Harang, and the Fuentis guy to the Twins for Johan Santana and Joe Mauer (fair trades were on). I think Dunn won MVP in the AL, but Johan is lights out. In year two his fastball is up to 99mph and I got a 100 a few times. Mauer is a good average hitter, but I can't hit many HR's with him either. Kearns and Pena on the other hand are massive sluggers. Hit 50 with Pena and 48 with Kearns.

I made some trades when I first started:
C - Mauer
1B - Casey
2B - Freel
SS - Jimmy Rollins
3B - EdE
LF - Pena
CF - Jr
RF - Kearns
With Santana, Wilson, Milton, Ortiz, and a platoon of Hudson and Felix Hernandez as the 5th (got Hernandez pretty cheap, can't remember for who though, fastball hits 100mph in year 2).

After winning the series, made some more changes. Traded Rollins for Rafael Furcal (tired of Rollins weak arm), signed Rocco Baldelli (he kills LHP) to eventually replace Jr, and made Wagner my closer.

Caseyfan21
08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I created some of the prospects, made some trades so now I've got my game pretty accurate. I simmed up through July with the real Reds roster and when it stopped they were in first place. I couldn't believe it. I figured I'd be saving them by playing August and September.

Anyways, the only thing I don't like with the game is how a lot of times, it seems like you either get out or hit a homerun. I thought I read something about how you could adjust some things to make the gameplay more accurate? If anybody knows what I'm talking about and could point me in the right direction/explain it better, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

WMR
08-11-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm in my fifth year and I've got the ultimate dynasty of the Cincinnati Reds.
(started w/ fantasy draft)
1b- Mark Teixeira
2b- Alfonso Soriano (although he is about to be pushed out by a 22 y/o kid tearing it up in AAA)
SS- Myself (LOL, I create myself and put myself into every sports game I play)
3b- David Wright
LF- Joey Gathwright (Was in AAA first four years... speed of "100," solid contact hitter with good pop as well
CF- Carl Crawford ALL-WORLD
RF- Adam Dunn- interestingly, he has blossomed into an EXCELLENT defensive outfielder and a devastating slugger
DH- YEAH YEAH I know, it's my game, alright??? Wily Mo Pena.

BENCH:
Ryan Freel
Austin Kearns
Reyes (SS from NYM)
Another Prospect

Pitching:
1) Dontrelle Willis
2) Zack Greinke
3) Josh Beckett
4) Rich Harden
5) C.C. Sabathia

Pen
A bunch of new guys/prospects

CLOSER: Frankie Rodriguez

What a dream.

WVPacman
08-12-2005, 12:31 AM
I have it for PS2 and I can't hardly hit a homerun with it.What exactly are you guys doing with your controls to hit 46 homeruns or more??

WMR
08-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Swing UPWARDS. Treat it just like you were actually in the batters box. When the pitchers are inside, pull them; when they're outside, go the other way. (You control your swing with your left-thumbstick... say you batting with wily mo pena, a righty, on a pitch that's inside, press the left to the northwest part of the circle and he'll yak it out,,, if the pitch is outside, press towards northeast)

Do that and the homeruns will take care of themselves as long as you're properly identifying pitches and making good contact.

Hap
08-12-2005, 05:17 AM
I am currently playing in the year 2009. I have won the World Series each year I have played. I beat the Tigers in 2005, the Yankees in 2006, the Red Sox in 2007, and the Twins in 2008.

I use the DH and I use unlockable players. I sim almost all the games until the playoffs start.

Of course, Johnny Bench has been my catcher from the start. In all the games I have played, only Jackie Robinson and Lou Brock have even attempted to steal on him. He is good for about a .320 ba with about 20 or so HR and about 80 RBI.

I use Joe Morgan at second. He won the MVP in 2005 and 2006. He has won four Silver Sluggers and three Gold Gloves (getting beat once by JRob).

I use Tom Seaver as my staff ace. He has won two Cy Youngs and was the MVP in three World Series (the other time it was Sean Casey). In 2006, Seaver went 25-2 with most of the games being simmed and not played.

Wily Mo Pena and Adam Dunn really take off starting at about 2007 or so. Dunn is a 40/40/120 player and WMP led the league in hits in 2007. Casey always hits 30+ HR and drives in 120+ runs.

Ryan Freel never hits under .320 batting leadoff and steals about 40 bases a year. He has great outfield speed, but a weak throwing arm.

Griffey was very consistent, producing 30+ HR 100+ RBI and about a .270 BA. He really started to fade in 2008, and I traded him and Luke Hudson to the Cardinals for Kerry Robinson and Ian Snell (a hard-throwing RH reliever). At the beginning of 2009, Griffey is in AAA, with his skills mostly gone.

I signed Juan Marichal as a free agent prior to the 2008 season and he won a Cy Young. I also signed Roy Oswalt prior to 2009 and he is a stud.

Currently, my rotation is Seaver, Marichal, Oswalt, Harang, and Elizardo Ramirez. I pitched a no-hitter in the 2007 playoffs with Harang versus the Phillies.

Danny Graves has been a very good closer, although I replaced him with Ryan Wagner in 2008 and put Graves in the set-up role. Graveys sinker is almost unhittable when thrown after a fastball.

At the beginning of 2005, there is a left-handed reliever in AA named Rodrigo Chacon. Keep an eye on him. He will become a stud.

The Blue Jays have a centerfielder named Steve Brassard. Try to trade for him before 2008, when he will become the best player in the game.

Joe Mauer of the Twins will become the best catcher in the game in about 2007.

It is virtually impossible to hit Satchel Paige. He throws a 102-MPH fastball and then come back with a 55-MPH knuckleball. Phil Niekro is also virtually impossible to hit, but easy to steal on. The same goes for Hoyt Wilhelm. Bob Gibson is surprisingly easy to hit, because he throws his fastball a lot.

It is virtually impossible to get a bunt single on Mike Schmidt or George Kell or Scott Rolen or ARod.

kyred14
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
The gameplay is the exact same as last year. Boy, I'm glad EA doesn't get anymore chances to disappiont baseball fans. The only games EA spends any time on are Madden, NCAA FB, and NASCAR.

griffeyfreak4
09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm in my second year, and I stayed with the reds
signed some free agents

2b - Chone Figgins
ss - freel
1b - casey
lf - dunn
cf - griff
rf - endy chavez (free agent?)
3b - joe randa
c- rickey fuentes

c - Fuentis (I am not sure who Fuentis is, but it appears he is a catcher in the Reds's system. the guy who Fuentis is based on might not be very good...but the game seems to think this guy is a freaking stud).

same scenerio

WMR
09-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Freel at shortstop?????

That must be interesting.