PDA

View Full Version : A good reason not to gamble

creek14
07-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Robbers leave 12 victims naked
By Mehul Srivastava

Dayton Daily News

RIVERSIDE | The officers responding to the 911 call hadn't seen anything like it before people, naked except for their trash bags, walking down Valley Street.

Early Friday, they had been robbed at gunpoint during a poker game at a private club on Intercity Drive.

But before the robbers left, they stripped the 12 poker players of their clothes and tied the men and women together with shoelaces and belts.

In the hour or so it took the victims to free themselves, and find the trash bags to cover themselves, the ski-masked robbers had made a clean getaway.

"I am sure they had to get the gumption up to walk out the door with no clothes on," said Riverside Detective Kolbey Watson, who spent Friday following leads.

The crime, while unique in its execution, highlights a reality that Riverside residents have had to face with increasing regularity nearly two years of budget cuts forced by failed levies have left the police department without the resources to protect the city from crime.

"We are reacting to crimes now, rather than proactively preventing them," said Riverside City Manager Jim Onello.

When the poker game was robbed, Riverside had three patrol cars on duty for its nearly 30,000 residents. When one was dispatched on a call and another was called for a backup, that left one free patrol car for the entire city.

"That's all we can afford now," Onello said.

On Thursday, a National City Bank at the Airway Shopping Center was held up, Onello said.

"We would like to have a patrol car go by the shopping center every so often, but we can't even do that," Onello said.

In January, it became clear that Riverside's police department could investigate only the most violent crimes. Murders, rapes, and violent assaults took priority over other crimes.

So, for instance, when a group of people who had their cars vandalized with racist slurs in June, they got a police report to help with insurance claims.

But the crime couldn't be investigated. "Lack of manpower," Riverside police Officer Dave Schmidt said. "We just don't have the ability to go after these cases."

According to one victim of the poker-game robbery, the armed men were in the club for nearly an hour.

"They had us tied up on the floor, and then they asked all of us to give them the PINs to our credit cards and bank cards," said Ronald Shepherd, 29.

By then, the robbers had used a knife to strip them naked, and had taken away their cell phones.

When the robbers weren't happy with the amount of money the victims had, they took the time to search through the cars in the parking lot for anything valuable.

During that one hour, no police patrol car went past the location on Valley Street. With the crunch on their resources, the officers sometimes go past the Laws trailer parks at the other edge of Valley Street because of recent episodes of arson.

Even if a police officer had noticed something wrong, there wasn't much he could do, said Watson, the detective investigating the robbery.

"Usually, at least one of the patrol cars is tied up on business elsewhere," he said.

"And when something like this pops up, what can one officer do against four men armed with assault rifles?"

With police patrols barely visible, its been open season on Riverside's roads since January. Without a traffic division, police hand out few speeding tickets except to the most obvious offenders. Crimes against properties (thefts, vandalism) have increased in the last two years, Onello said.

During the same two years, Riverside residents have three times turned down a 4.95-mill levy that would have allowed the police department to return at least a few positions in its staff of 27. Now, three detectives handle almost 1,500 felonies a year, and 15 positions have been eliminated. The police department's fleet of cars is aging Onello estimated the cars were on average at least 8 years old with more than 120,000 miles on them and the city has no funds to repair or replace them.

But for officers like Watson, the financial problems translate to a much simpler reality.

"As a police officer, to have to tell folks who have been robbed that we can't investigate their crime is really tough," he said. " You gotta feel sorry for those people.

Red in Chicago
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
"They had us tied up on the floor, and then they asked all of us to give them the PINs to our credit cards and bank cards," said Ronald Shepherd, 29.

yikes...i don't even know if i have a pin on any of my credit cards...i have never used them like that...they'd probably think i was holding out on them :eek:

REDREAD
08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
It's a sad reflection on human nature that so many people are only deterred from crime out of fear of being caught, and are willing to take advantage of a police shortage as an "opportunity'.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Riverside was never that swell of a place to begin with. I believe it's gotten worse.

Sounds like the world of bad Biff in Back to the Future Part II.

CrackerJack
08-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Yep taxes suck, but living in a 3rd world ghetto sucks even more. Hope the citizens up there think about that next time they pull the lever to save a few extra bucks for their poker games and booze.

zombie-a-go-go
08-02-2005, 07:46 AM
"As a police officer, to have to tell folks who have been robbed that we can't investigate their crime is really tough," he said. " You gotta feel sorry for those people."

You don't have to feel sorry for them; I wouldn't, were I the officer in question.

As a matter of fact, every time a citizen came to me with a report of a crime, I'd shrug, shake my head, and let the citizen know in very clear terms that it's their fault this happened to them.

"Remember those tax levies for the police department you and your fellow citizens voted down time and time again?" I'd ask. "Who did you think was going to keep the department funded if you didn't? The tooth fairy? I only hope that you saved more money by voting against the levy than you lost by having a criminal blatantly walk up to you and rob you without fear of reprisal."

As an aside, I wonder how well the district's schools are funded.

gonelong
08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
You don't have to feel sorry for them; I wouldn't, were I the officer in question.

Scuttlebutt from some of the natives is that the Police are behind the shennanigans. (completely unfounded, but people are talking)

One of the guys at work tells me that before every levi for the police department 30-40 cars will get vandalized - like clockwork. He called the latest round.

GL

LincolnparkRed
08-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Scuttlebutt from some of the natives is that the Police are behind the shennanigans. (completely unfounded, but people are talking)

One of the guys at work tells me that before every levi for the police department 30-40 cars will get vandalized - like clockwork. He called the latest round.

GL

I grew up in Centerville and was trying to figure out what the boundaries of Riverside are techinically. I looked it up on google maps but it wasn't real helpful.