PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati to West Virginia-- need some advice

snowstorm
07-30-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm taking a trip from Cincinnati to Charleston, WV, and I'm wondering what the best/quickest way to go is. I was going to use the AA Highway, but I'm wondering if there's a better way, or if someone (who's traveled the AA) would recommend going another way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

marcshoe
07-30-2005, 11:50 PM
I personally like the AA, but everyone else tells me I'm crazy and recommends a shortcut to me. I've tried several, with mixed results. I've made my best time on the AA, but then I start at a point between Charleston and Huntington, which could make a difference.

but due to my tendency to like drives that other people tend to avoid, I'll leave the recommendations to others.

WVRed
07-31-2005, 08:36 AM
The Double A would be the easiest way, IMO.

This is what Mapquest turned out-

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=&1c=Cincinnati&1s=OH&1z=&2a=&2c=Charleston&2s=WV&2z=

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=&1c=Parkersburg&1s=WV&1z=&2a=&2c=Cincinnati&2s=OH&2z=

Parkersburg is only an hour from Charleston btw.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
When I lived in WV, I used to travel this route. From Cincinnati, take Rt. 32 to Jackson, and then take Rt. 35 through Rio Grande and Gallipolis on into WV to Nitro, and then I-64 from Nitro to Charleston. Pretty good road and a pleasant drive.

On my route, I would get off 35 and onto State Rt 2 as I lived in the Lesage, WV area, but 35 will take you on to Nitro and then I-64 the rest of the way to Charleston.

I have traveled the AA highway, as well. I'm not sure which one is faster, but I didn't care much for it. Kind of a dangerous road with lots of heavy truck traffic.

GAC
08-01-2005, 08:12 AM
That is a very pleasant and scenic drive Randy. I have a lot of relation that lives in Gallipolis.

zombie-a-go-go
08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
I have traveled the AA highway, as well. I'm not sure which one is faster, but I didn't care much for it. Kind of a dangerous road with lots of heavy truck traffic.

Christmas Eve, middle of the night, snow and ice thick on the road and then the one working headlight on the car burned out.

Yeah, that sucked. :D

I avoid the AA if at all possible. It's hella-dangerous.

Blimpie
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I echo what Zombie said about the AA Highway being dangerous (due to the excessive truck traffic), but I wouldn't go so far as to avoid it all together. My biggest beef with the road is that because of all of the trucks on the road, there are an inordinant amount of State Troopers and Vehicle Enforcement personnel patrolling that stretch of road. Definitely don't forget your radar detector (preferrably one that detects laser, as well)....

Heath
08-01-2005, 10:42 AM
When I lived in WV, I used to travel this route. From Cincinnati, take Rt. 32 to Jackson, and then take Rt. 35 through Rio Grande and Gallipolis on into WV to Nitro, and then I-64 from Nitro to Charleston. Pretty good road and a pleasant drive.

On my route, I would get off 35 and onto State Rt 2 as I lived in the Lesage, WV area, but 35 will take you on to Nitro and then I-64 the rest of the way to Charleston.

:thumbup: That's the way I'd go - its all 4 lanes (except for 20 miles of US 35 in WVA) Parts of 32 and 35 are 65 MPH in Ohio...

AA has many lights around Maysville....

snowstorm
08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to say thanks again to all who responded. I've decided I will take the Rt. 32 route to WV. Thanks! :thumbup:

paintmered
08-03-2005, 10:26 PM
:thumbup: That's the way I'd go - its all 4 lanes (except for 20 miles of US 35 in WVA) Parts of 32 and 35 are 65 MPH in Ohio...

AA has many lights around Maysville....

I've driven 35 to Chucky W.V. before. No traffic at all, divided highway all the way through Ohio.

Watch out for the cops though. There are lots of hiding places on 35 for them.

RANDY IN INDY
08-04-2005, 07:57 AM
I've driven 35 to Chucky W.V. before. No traffic at all, divided highway all the way through Ohio.

Watch out for the cops though. There are lots of hiding places on 35 for them.

I'll second that. The cops are usually thick, and there are a lot of places for them to hide. Be particularly careful when coming down the hills.