PDA

View Full Version : answering machine pet peeves

Red in Chicago
07-31-2005, 01:33 PM
ok, so it's sunday afternoon, and i'm just relaxing, watching tv with my eyelids closed:)...the phone rings and wakes me up...there is no way for me to get to the phone before the answering machine picks up, so i mute the tv to listen to the message...it's my aunt...the one who always leaves a message, but never says anything...it's always something like it's aunt lee, call me when you get a chance...is it really too much to ask someone to give you a hint as to what they want? i mean really, spend the extra 15 seconds to tell me something...

while i'm at it...i have a cousin, who is a teacher, and she always leaves me the teacher/student relationship message...it's always something like "call me back so i know you got this message"...now, why do i have to call you so you know i got the message...you called my house and got my machine...why wouldn't i get the message? i'm not one of you students that needs to be given an assignment...

oh well, maybe i'm just grouchy for being waken up from a nap...time to take a shower and get the paper...gametime in a couple hours...

Joseph
07-31-2005, 01:38 PM
My mom's just like your aunt. She always calls and leaves a message that says nothing. I've turned into a real pain when she does it because I won't return her call if there isn't a purpose to the message. If it's 'call me when you have a minute' then I won't. If it's 'call me because I need to know what happened to my microwave' I might help her out.

As for calling myself, I don't I'm an emailer, it's the 21st century, people should check email about 90 times a day. I'm always sure to make offers for dinner, or a ball game via email, if they don't check it more than once a week, they are out of luck. :)

creek14
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
My m-i-l always starts her messages to us with "I don't know if you are there or not". Well of course you don't, you're several hours away from us. :doh:

GAC
07-31-2005, 08:20 PM
My M-I-L always YELLS into the machine....

HELLO! HELLO! ANYONE THERE? HELLO HELLO! ANYONE THERE! HELLO, HELLO, HELLO! Same thing every time. Then we hear here telling grandpa in the background - "I don't think anyone is at home!" :lol:

Johnny Vander m
07-31-2005, 08:40 PM
I have voice mail with the phone company so you can't hear anyone untill you play it back, my daughter in law knows but she still yells, "Don, if your in there pick up the phone" I didn't know anyone had recorders anymore, thought everyone had voice mail. It's much nicer.

Red in Chicago
07-31-2005, 09:45 PM
I didn't know anyone had recorders anymore, thought everyone had voice mail. It's much nicer.

i had voicemail at one point in time...no one understood that i couldn't hear the message as it was being left on the recorder...frankly, it just confused everyone even more so i got rid of it...

REDREAD
07-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I guess I'm different, but I like the quick, "Hi, this is XXXX, give me a call".

I really get annoyed by long, drawn out messages.

And I have some friends that are lazy and screen calls, so they get the "Hey, pick up the phone if you're there..."

paintmered
07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
I have some friends that use this for their voice mail recording:

"Hello? Hellllooooo? (pause for a few seconds)...........Oh, I was just kidding. I'm not really here. Leave a message."

Gets me every stinking time! :rant2:

KronoRed
07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
My parents had Spock on their machine for awhile, got me laughing so hard I couldn't leave a message

RFS62
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
I have some friends that use this for their voice mail recording:

"Hello? Hellllooooo? (pause for a few seconds)...........Oh, I was just kidding. I'm not really here. Leave a message."

Gets me every stinking time! :rant2:

Yeah, those really kill me. Of course, I'd really like to kill them at the time.

Dom Heffner
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
I actually just hate when people say..."Hello, I'm either unable to get to the phone right now or I'm not home, so at the beep, please leave your name and number and I'll return your call as soon as possible..."

We all know the drill, we all know what to do...no need to draw a verbal map.

RBA
07-31-2005, 11:59 PM
I hate answering machines, especailly when I have to recall 50 people for an emergency/exercise. That and caller ID.

GAC
08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I use my answer machine to screen calls - pure and simple. Blame the friggin telemarketers, not me! :lol:

15fan
08-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I guess I'm different, but I like the quick, "Hi, this is XXXX, give me a call".

I really get annoyed by long, drawn out messages.

For the record, I completely agree with you. Short, sweet, to the point. That's the way to leave a message.

The other thing that just irks me to no end is when someone leaves a phone number, and zips through the entire 10 digit number in .5 seconds. This is especially annoying when the person doesn't leave the number until the end of a minute long message. Nothing is worse than having to listen to a drawn out rambling message several times just to get the stinking phone number.

zombie-a-go-go
08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I sold my answering machine on the black market for beer money and dental work.

REDREAD
08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
The other thing that just irks me to no end is when someone leaves a phone number, and zips through the entire 10 digit number in .5 seconds. This is especially annoying when the person doesn't leave the number until the end of a minute long message. Nothing is worse than having to listen to a drawn out rambling message several times just to get the stinking phone number.

Man, you are so right. That is my #1 annoyance. You get to hear their long boring message multiple times (of course they speak slowly then).. then get the blur of numbers at the end. That happens at work all the time. If I can't make out the phone number in 2 listens, I give up now.

It annoys me so much that I leave a one or two second pause between numbers when I leave my phone number. (Of course, that probably annoys people as well :) )

REDREAD
08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I sold my answering machine on the black market for beer money and dental work.

So, that explains your bad teeth :lol:

redsrule2500
08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't really have any. My only pet peeve is when I call other people and their answering machine either

A) Lists everyone who "can't come to the phone right now"
or
B) Has a little kid who takes 15 minutes to talk about how to leave a message.

SunDeck
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
MY mom and dad have caller ID and they have registered for just about every no call list they could come across. I'm not sure exactly what the paranoia is all about; neither of them is about to be duped out of their life savings over the phone, but it's hilarious to watch them peer at the incoming numbers, pondering who in the heck it could possibly be? (It's always someone they know.) My brother can't stand it, "Just pick it up for CHRISSAKES! It's not possible for someone to kill you over the phone!"

kheidg-
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
My pet peeve is parents that have their little children say the greeting on the machine. It has to be the most annoying thing about answering machines.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
I hate it when the answering machine is answering at the same time the callee is trying to answer and you get this mish-mosh of the VM greeting and the person saying "damn, wait a minute, how do I turn this off" blah blah. About 2 minutes into the call after it gets sorted out, you hear a "beeeep" meaning your conversation has been recorded.

Confusion reigns supreme.

Caveat Emperor
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
My ultimate answering-machine pet peeve is people who do not identify themselves on their machine.

In the legal field, it is decidedly NOT a good thing to let information that might be confidential reach the wrong ears and where I work, even alerting the wrong people to the fact that they are being contacted is often releasing too much information. Thus, it is office policy not to leave a message on an answering machine unless you are absolutely certain that the person you are intending to contact is the user of that answering machine.

Thus, when I get wackbags who just say "Hi, I can't come to the phone" or "You have reached 513-123-4567" without giving their name, I can't continue onward and have to keep calling back until I actually get a human being on the line.

So, for the love of all things sacred, take the time out to say your name in your recording.

Blimpie
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
We are on the telemarketer "Do not call" list; however, there are so many loopholes in the statute that we are still deluged by calls on a daily basis. So, when we are home at night we use the answering machine in tandem with Caller ID as our invaluable call screening tool.

My biggest pet peeve is with callers who know we have Caller ID...yet they still insist on waiting through:

1) all four rings
2) our outgoing greeting
3) 'beep'

Just to say, "It's about.....six twenty---no, it's more like, six twenty five on Monday the...the 11th. Uhm, Call me."

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I always find myself screaming at the answering machine, "I have Caller ID!!! I already knew who you were after the first ring! By the way, the time/date stamp is actually quicker and more accurate than you are!..."

If you can't say why it is you are calling, then don't waste everybody's time leaving a message.

TeamBoone
08-14-2005, 10:36 AM
My ultimate answering-machine pet peeve is people who do not identify themselves on their machine.

So, for the love of all things sacred, take the time out to say your name in your recording.

I screen my calls because a bazillion telemarketers have forced me to do so. Also the reason I have an answering machine in lieu of voice mail.

I tell the caller my telephone number, so they know whether or not they have reached the correct number... this has yet to deter people from leaving a message meant for a different party. If it sounds important, I call them back to tell them they reached a wrong number.

I purposely do not identify myself for security reasons. If they recognize my voice and number, they know me. If they don't, then it's my decision as to whether or not they get a call back based on the message they leave.

I hate when the person who calls ME does not identify him/herself nor gives a reason for their call.

I hate when my answering machine is broken.

Unassisted
08-14-2005, 02:30 PM

In the legal field, it is decidedly NOT a good thing to let information that might be confidential reach the wrong ears and where I work, even alerting the wrong people to the fact that they are being contacted is often releasing too much information. Thus, it is office policy not to leave a message on an answering machine unless you are absolutely certain that the person you are intending to contact is the user of that answering machine.I think that's a throwback to the pre-Google days when people were concerned about telegraphing that their home might be unoccupied. In fact, my answering machine message is recorded sans name and I never really thought about how that is outdated, now that phone numbers are so much more searchable on the Internet.

Here's my phone-related privacy pet peeve...

I have a fax line number with a distinctive ring that shares the same line. Everyone in the house is trained not to answer the calls with the double ring. I usually have 1-2 instances a year of incoming faxes from people who have made numerous voice calls to that number, trying to reach the people it used to belong to, and finally give up and send a fax instead. Once the fax contained all kinds of confidential information about financial transactions related to a trust fund.

In addition to those, my fax machine has received confidential faxes with patient information and instructions to sales people on orders to be placed. Fortunately for the senders, I am kind and always send the fax back to where it came from with a magic-markered "WRONG NUMBER" across it. But every time I do that, I think of whether vendors/medical professionals I work with are as careless with their faxes of MY personal info.

BTW, I agree so much with those who've expressed how much they dislike returning phone calls when the message is vague. I've got wireless access to my email these days. I would 10x rather reply to a detailed email than return a phone call based on a vague answering machine message. I dislike not being able to prepare myself with information to deal with the reason for that phone call.

BoydsOfSummer
08-14-2005, 04:30 PM
My answering machines message is Pink Floyd's "Welcome...to...machine...<beep>

TeamCasey
08-14-2005, 04:58 PM
I use my answer machine to screen calls - pure and simple. Blame the friggin telemarketers, not me! :lol:

Us too. Always leave a message, chances are we're sitting right next to the phone deciding whether we want to pick up or not.

Also guilty of leaving long stupid messages. I don't know why, but I sort of freeze and babble like an idiot when I have to leave a message. :laugh:

Walkerforpres
08-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Us too. Always leave a message, chances are we're sitting right next to the phone deciding whether we want to pick up or not.

Also guilty of leaving long stupid messages. I don't know why, but I sort of freeze and babble like an idiot when I have to leave a message. :laugh:

I just do it for the sole reason that I *know* it's irritating. I'm like that sometimes. Just babble on for as long as the machine lets you. I personally like to sing songs that I make up on-the-fly.