PDA

View Full Version : How many of you still play a sport?

remdog
08-03-2005, 09:11 AM
It's pretty obvious that most people on this board played some baseball at some level. But as time goes by most people gravitate to other sports or stop playing any sport at all.

After college I played racquetball for awhile, tinkered with golf and played in a volleyball league. Eventually I took up tennis and, thirty years later I'm still playing that sport. Until I took my current job I played 3-4 times per week; now I play 3-4 times per month but I still love to get on the court any chance I can.

I'm curious how many zoners are actively involved in a sport and how often they get to play it.

Rem

Redsfaithful
08-03-2005, 09:39 AM
I coach boys high school tennis and also give tennis lessons. I play in USTA tournaments, at the 4.5 level, although it's been a year since I've done one. I'm thinking about joining an adult indoor league this winter.

Personally, I wish there were more opportunities for adult competition besides softball and golf, but tennis keeps me pretty happy.

Red Leader
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
I played baseball in college. After college, I took a few years off. Started playing softball about 3 years ago. With 2 kids I just don't get to play enough. Once a week doesn't get it. I've started golfing a little more, but that gets pretty expensive. Bowling is more fun than I thought. I think I'll play sports my whole life, but I don't think I'll ever satisfy my desire to play baseball, and play it the way I always played it.

I do enjoy coaching my son's coach pitch team. Kind of fun to teach the game to little kids with that much energy. Takes a lot of patience, though.

zombie-a-go-go
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
What, no choices for Poker or Competitive Eating? They're sports too... just ask ESPN.

Johnny Footstool
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
What, no choices for Poker or Competitive Eating? They're sports too... just ask ESPN.

We went to my favorite sports bar for dinner last Friday (they have great hamburgers), and guess what was on the big screen TV? Two fat dudes wolfing down plates of spaghetti. Mmmm...

Nothing gets your appetite going like watching competitive eating.

LincolnparkRed
08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I still play soccer once a week. At 28 I am getting up there in age for the league but I can still make it through one game, most of the people on my team play in second league but my knees can't take it.

08-03-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm a runner- or I was- I'm no spring chicken anymore. I seem to be going thru a cycle of running for a while, then having to stop due to nagging minor injuries, such as chondromalacia and achilles tendonitis, and a couple ankle sprains. It goes away, I run, and sometging else happens. I ran one marathon, but really prefer the 10K distance up to half marathon. I like beer, too!

ochre
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
I played baseball in college. After college, I took a few years off. Started playing softball about 3 years ago. With 2 kids I just don't get to play enough. Once a week doesn't get it. I've started golfing a little more, but that gets pretty expensive. Bowling is more fun than I thought. I think I'll play sports my whole life, but I don't think I'll ever satisfy my desire to play baseball, and play it the way I always played it.

I do enjoy coaching my son's coach pitch team. Kind of fun to teach the game to little kids with that much energy. Takes a lot of patience, though.
http://www.geocities.com/mvabl/
Adult baseball league in the dayton area. I played in it back (its previous incarnation anyway) in the mid '90s. Some good players, some bad. Looks like they went wooden bats now though.

Red Leader
08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.geocities.com/mvabl/
Adult baseball league in the dayton area. I played in it back (its previous incarnation anyway) in the mid '90s. Some good players, some bad. Looks like they went wooden bats now though.

Thanks for the info, ochre. I actually looked into this a couple years ago. A couple problems came up. I work late during the week (until 6pm), and the league fees when I checked were like $400. I might look into it again when my kids get a little older but right now I'm just having trouble finding the time...

westofyou
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I still play soccer once a week. At 28 I am getting up there in age for the league but I can still make it through one game, most of the people on my team play in second league but my knees can't take it.

I envy you, I played until I was 40, then I had to quit (bulging disc made recovery too long) I really, really, really miss it.

That said I pretty much mountain bike ride only now.

Went on a monster ride on the otherside of Mt. Hood yesterday, about 16 miles of nice single track (a bit too sandy for my taste though) My legs are jelly today.

SunDeck
08-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I only run now. There's a great soccer league in Bloomington- very informal pickup games, welcoming to all experience levels. I have no excuses for not playing, other than the fact that I'm lazy.

macro
08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Does darts count? :laugh: I've played darts on average of one night a week for going on five years. There are no more softball leagues in my area, tennis is dead in my area, I don't have time for golf, and I don't have knees for basketball.

Darts can be played with as few as two people and regardless of what the weather is like outside. Plus, it's old-guy friendly, and I'll be 40 in November.

RANDY IN INDY
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I play some golf and have recently started playing on my church's co-ed softball team. At 44, I sure wish I had some younger legs. ;)

I have coached competitive baseball (16-18 year olds) for a lot of years and now coach my son in Little League, which is very enjoyable and rewarding. I always said that I would think twice before coaching my son, but after seeing a lot of the coaching at the lower levels, I decided that it was in his best interest.

pedro
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I play softball in the summer.

Some of my friends and I are also thinking of joining a flag football league this fall.

zombie-a-go-go
08-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I play Dungeons and Dragons. :lol:

Johnny Footstool
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I play Dungeons and Dragons.

That only counts if you dress up as your character.

westofyou
08-03-2005, 11:57 AM
That only counts if you dress up as your character.

Who doesn't?

http://www.raflar.com/fantasyrpg/images/ElaithCraulnober150.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I played basketball, racquetball, and volleyball up till I was about 40 (I'm 52 now) with a little softball mixed in.

At which time my doc told me if I wanted to walk when I was 60, I better stop the hoops and racquetball because my knees were well on their way out.

I sub on a volleyball team still, but once a month tops. My vertical leap is about 6 inches. I mostly walk a lot.

Coached my son's baseball and daughter's soccer teams. Gave that up when the games got too sophisticated for my meager talents.

SunDeck
08-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Forgot golf, which I barely consider a sport.
If I were better, I would call it a sport, but my suckitude is such that I prefer people to think that I'm not that interested in it even though I'm actually pretty fanatical. The staff restroom here has a plunger in the corner...it's really good for practicing my swing (and probably about as useful as any other club in my bag, to tell the truth).

KronoRed
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I umm...

Post?

That's a sport right? :D

Reds Nd2
08-03-2005, 01:08 PM
The staff restroom here has a plunger in the corner...it's really good for practicing my swing (and probably about as useful as any other club in my back, to tell the truth).

I'm not sure if a plunger is good for practicing but it's the perfect metaphor for my golf game. It's in the toilet in other words. :laugh:

RFS62
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I umm...

Post?

That's a sport right? :D

If it is, you're Cy Young

KronoRed
08-03-2005, 01:20 PM
If it is, you're Cy Young
What do I need do to to get in the Hall? :D

RFS62
08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
When baseball was over for me, I played a lot of slow and fastpitch softball. Being team sports, I had to finally give that up when I started traveling for my job. So, it became golf, tennis, and skiing for the next 20 years. Now I'm 51, and skiing is just too hard on my lower back. I haven't been on skis in a couple of years, and I miss it big time.

Tennis is the same, it just beats me up too much to play hard, and I can't get into just playing for fun.

So, it's pretty much golf now, and I'm always fighting a tricky lower back. But I play 4 or 5 times a week when I'm home.

creek14
08-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I played tennis, golf, softball and still ran a little until I broke my leg and ankle. When you stop exercising in your mid 40's it gets ugly. Real ugly. Now I'm lucky to bike 20 miles in a week.

Rojo
08-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Racquetball every Wednesday, occassional softball and I'm in a pool league, which mostly involves drinking.

Patrick Bateman
08-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Well in the winter I curl.

redsfanmia
08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I play baseball in an adult league its great. Its once a week on sunday afternoon and we have quite a few former minor league and college players in the league. There is a 58 year old man in our league which is open to 18 and up and this guy hit one out against our 23 year old pitcher last year, just phenominal!

Caseyfan21
08-04-2005, 09:46 AM
I play softball and basketball as intramural sports in college. I really wish I could do more but having a bad knee really prevents me from doing a lot. I would also consider weightlifting a sport and I try to get to the gym as much as being an engineering student will allow. Also do some biking at the gym and outdoors.

remdog
08-04-2005, 11:39 AM
So far I think it's an interesting mix. From being around this board for 5+ years and reading posts and PMs from a lot of people I knew what sports some here played. Overall however, I thought more people were active in sports. Perhaps it's just that many people didn't see this thread or declined to answer; I thought more people in a group this size that's sports oriented would be participants as well as observers.

More of you play soccer than I thought and it's obvious that I should have added that sport and jogging/running to the poll choices---my bad, I apologize for overlooking those sports.

I don't mean that this thread is done----I hope that more people will add to it---it's just sort of my reaction to the results after about one day and before I leave for another road trip.

Rem

Crash Davis
08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Are any of you softball players playing in the Metro tournament in Cincinnati this week? I've played in it for about the past ten seasons, and it's supposedly the largest softball tournament in the world. There are 6 divisions:

- Majors: Best athletes around, most teams travel, games are homerfests
- A: Still lots of homers, more defense, great hitters all around
- B: Probably the best pure softball for great defense, situational hitting & power
- C: Line-drive hitters, solid defense, not too many weak spots
- D: Average softball, too many weak spots to play up
- Rec.: Pathetic

I believe there are close to 400 teams total.