PDA

View Full Version : Resident Poker Pro

SirFelixCat
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, come May 1st anyway :)

Since there seemed to be some interest in following my career in this, I have enlisted a lil help in developing my lil piece of the innernet. If you care to read, I'd love to have ya. Felix's Blog (http://cardsarewar.blogspot.com/)

Any and all feedback welcome and encouraged.

TeamCasey
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Cool! I'll be reading along. :)

paintmered
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Best of luck to you SC.

SirFelixCat
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Cool! I'll be reading along. :)

And please, feel free to comment as well. While some of the posts may not make much sense to non-poker players, I still encourage comments. I think this is going to be lots of fun and helpful for me. Maybe funny at times :eek:

Caseyfan21
08-05-2005, 09:16 PM
It really looks like you are listening to your heart and doing what you know you want to do. I say go for it and go all out. It looks like your safety nets are there so now is as good of a time as any for you. Best of luck!

RFS62
08-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Follow a path with heart.

Good luck, my friend.

REDREAD
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
good luck with it. Wish you the best :)

KronoRed
08-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Good luck SC, good looking blog :)

SirFelixCat
08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Good luck SC, good looking blog :)

Thanks. Had a friend of the Mrs. do it up. Now if only I can start telling winning stories...;)

SirFelixCat
08-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Shamless bump for any that may have missed this and are interested :)

RFS62
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Hang in there, Eddie. Great blog.

Puffy
08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to bump this back up to the top.

When I played this past weekend I went into heads up down approximately 80,000 to 17 or 18,000 and won. The beauty of Texas Hold em.

TeamCasey
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Constructive criticism. :)

Your profile and all that stuff gets pushed really far down the page the more you blog. Any way to make it stay at the top on the right? Maybe you'll need pages at some point.

How'd the tourney go?

Dan
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey great to hear you're following your own path. I've been playing a lot of tournies lately and winning (won a $60 and a $80 buy-in last friday). Glad to hear that's working out for you as well.

Johnny Footstool
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Good luck!

SirFelixCat
08-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone. Tourney didn't go well. Didn't play badly, but got into a bad spot and was on the wrong end of it. I'll update the blog Wednesday about it and more :)

And don't be shy people. If you just drop by for a min to read the latest post, say something. The more responses I get, the more motivated I am to write more.

REDREAD
08-16-2005, 01:42 PM
dumb question, but I couldn't figure out how to leave a comment. I found an email button to you, but that's it.

SirFelixCat
08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Click on where it says "hands dealt" at the bottom of the post in which you want to leave the comment.

TC, my profile can be accessed on the right hand side, in the "About me" area. :)

SirFelixCat
08-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Constructive criticism. :)

Your profile and all that stuff gets pushed really far down the page the more you blog. Any way to make it stay at the top on the right? Maybe you'll need pages at some point.

How'd the tourney go?

Had no idea that it was messed up. Thanks, though apparently I was a little slow on the uptake :bang: :D

Fixed and updated by the time you read this.

edit to add: Just noticed...post number 4,000 :eek: :D

SirFelixCat
08-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Updated a few times in the last couple of days. In case you guys wanted to know...and really, I do appreciate comments on there.

SirFelixCat
08-25-2005, 11:08 PM
hey guys, blog is updated.

(post courtesy of Mrs SC)

SirFelixCat
09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
updated

SirFelixCat
09-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Updated...finally good news :beerme:

TeamCasey
09-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Updated...finally good news :beerme:

Alright! Way to go, SC! :thumbup:

KronoRed
09-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Cograts SC :)

SirFelixCat
09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Small update tonight. Maybe another coming late tonight as well.

And thanks, guys. Felt really really good to get off the canvas and come out swinging like that :)

SirFelixCat
09-12-2005, 04:37 AM
2 updates in one day? The madness! ;)

SirFelixCat
09-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Updated again. Is this blatant self-promotion or do you guys (and gals) want me to post here when I update?

KronoRed
09-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes post here....doesn't bother me..I like to know when you've updated :)

TeamCasey
09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Let us know here. :thumbup:

Larkin Fan
09-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Definitely let us know here when you update!

SirFelixCat
09-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Updated...and how about leaving me a note letting me know you stopped by or a comment? ;)

SirFelixCat
09-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Updated, finally. Loooong week. Sorry, ya'll.

SirFelixCat
10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
How novel...an update, Part One, anyway ;)

SirFelixCat
11-07-2005, 03:58 PM
After nearly a month hiatus from updating, it has begun anew. Enjoy, if you wish.

KronoRed
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Good to see you around SC :)

SirFelixCat
11-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks. Been working a ton, occassionally lurking and when I am not doing those things, I've been working on my game. So far, so good:) May 1st here we come!

SirFelixCat
11-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Small update today.

SirFelixCat
06-15-2006, 04:55 AM
It's been awhile, but I'm back on the horse. At least in a blogging sense. Been playing plenty of cards, just been allowing the blog to slip. No more.

I'm back for those interested in reading. :beerme:

SirFelixCat
07-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Sorry, Krono... only had enough "oomph" to write up the first half...stay tuned for tomorrow's update too ;)

SirFelixCat
03-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Heh, only a year late, I finally did it. As of Feb. 8th, 2008, yours truly is a professional poker player. I started up the blog again and am going to keep it going now that I am playing professionally.

Just thought I'd bump the old thread here to let those that used to follow it, know. Feel free to leave comments either here or at the bottom of the posts on the blog.

I gladly welcome all questions/comments/feedback both on the site/blog itself as well as anything else I can answer.

:beerme:

oneupper
03-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey....nice to know. I did check out your blog a couple of times and there seemed to be some trying times for you.

Have you been able to make enough to cover your bills? Is it somewhat consistent (winning)? How does your wife and family feel about it?

How much can you stomach when the stakes get REALLY high?

SirFelixCat
03-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey....nice to know. I did check out your blog a couple of times and there seemed to be some trying times for you.

Have you been able to make enough to cover your bills? Is it somewhat consistent (winning)? How does your wife and family feel about it?

How much can you stomach when the stakes get REALLY high?

Well, I have officially been a pro now, for a total of 1 month and 1 day.

To give you an idea of the money, my first two weeks, I make just over $10k. My gf (no longer married for a year + now) COMPLETELY supports me and knows this is what I am and what I love to do. Her parents also completely support me as they know that I'm a long-term winner.

As for how to stomach when the stakes get really high? Not sure what exactly you mean, but I play within my bankroll. I play, 6 tables of 200NL online at once, so at any given time, I have $1200-$2000 in play at any one time, but I have over 80 buyins for my level, so while I do run bad on occasion, long term, my hourly winrate is right @ $100/hr. Kinda beats working for someone else, no? ;)

Hope you enjoy the read and following!

oneupper
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Are you playing only online now?
I remember from your blog, going to tournaments...etc.

(won't say good luck, b/c long term luck evens out...it's just another job if your system is good).

SirFelixCat
03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Are you playing only online now?
I remember from your blog, going to tournaments...etc.

(won't say good luck, b/c long term luck evens out...it's just another job if your system is good).

I am...it's a little tough with the packing/moving and all, but I find time to put in about 1000 hands a day (about 1/3 what I would normally put in, but I'm running hot, making just over $3,000 the last two days).

I'm pretty much exclusively a cash game player nowadays as it just suits me better. I plan on playing the 5/10NL game at the Wynn as my "regular" game once I get out to Vegas next week. Most people buy in for $2000-$10,000 and it plays pretty big, so should be a good game :)

And thanks :)

SirFelixCat
03-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Finally settled out here in Vegas and been playing as often as I can. Went to see Joss Stone tonight...great show!

Are any of you guys still interested in following along here or should I let my thread here die?

Redhook
03-30-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm definitely interested. Keep the updates coming.

Buckeye33
03-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I check your blog once a week. It's been interesting to see a "regular" guy turn into a poker pro and you do a great job telling all your poker stories.

SirFelixCat
03-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, ok cool. I see that people have my site bookmarked and such, but not sure if they're from here or not. I may just post here a quick tidbit so that I don't fill up the thread w/ the same posts as my blog, but yeah, I'll keep it running here as well then. :thumbup:

SteelSD
03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh, ok cool. I see that people have my site bookmarked and such, but not sure if they're from here or not. I may just post here a quick tidbit so that I don't fill up the thread w/ the same posts as my blog, but yeah, I'll keep it running here as well then. :thumbup:

By all means, keep us updated here. I think your story is fascinating. Keep chasing your dream, sir!

SirFelixCat
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
So, I played really well last night, yet I'm irritated as all get-out thanks to being a pansy!

Hopefully gonna hit the Citizen Cope concert tonight here in town. I hope we can get a couple of seats!!

SirFelixCat
04-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Updated a few days ago about the Citizen Cope concert and since then, have been pretty much been playing exclusively the $5/$10NL game at the Wynn.

My first 3 sessions have been pretty insanely good...I'm up just a little over $15,000 this week. Good week. The blog w/ be updated w/ a hugely long post by the time you guys read this in the morning.

And please, either leave me comments here or at the end of a blog entry where it says "deal me in" or "hands dealt".

Thanks!

-Eddie

Buckeye33
04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Impressive. Must be nice to earn 15K in under 8 days ;)

I know you've put in a ton of time to get to this level. Well done.

I'm glad when I win $25 in a .10/.25 cash game. Of course I'm sitting at work when I'm doing it but...

SirFelixCat
04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Impressive. Must be nice to earn 15K in under 8 days ;)

I know you've put in a ton of time to get to this level. Well done.

I'm glad when I win $25 in a .10/.25 cash game. Of course I'm sitting at work when I'm doing it but...

Yes, it feels great. But there will also be times where I go to work and lose $15k in under 8 days. It won't happen often, but I assure you, it will happen.

But I love it nonetheless and I wouldn't trade my life, as it is right now, for anything else!:thumbup:

Yachtzee
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
So are you going to start turning up on ESPN? I personally despise the fact that ESPN, FSN, and other outlets have been clogged up with televised poker matches, to the exclusion of sports I enjoy, namely soccer. However, if a Redszoner were on, I might catch a broadcast or two.

gonelong
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
So are you going to start turning up on ESPN? I personally despise the fact that ESPN, FSN, and other outlets have been clogged up with televised poker matches, to the exclusion of sports I enjoy, namely soccer. However, if a Redszoner were on, I might catch a broadcast or two.

I love that Poker is on all the time. I turn it on as background noise while I am doing other things and then check up on it from time to time. I only get to play once a month or so and find it helps me quite a bit to have watched a bit over the time I haven't been playing. (Percentages, tactics, etc.)

Plus I don't get into soccer. :D

GL

OldRightHander
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM

To the exclusion of sports period, not just enjoyable ones. Maybe they need to come up with a game channel, not to be confused with a sports channel. Then when they're not showing poker you could see televised Euchre tournaments as well. Trow in Monopoly and Scrabble and you could have a full day's programming lineup.

SirFelixCat
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey guys...updated...I'm not gonna post in here every time I update the blog, but I figure those that want to follow it already have it bookmarked.

I will mention one last thing though...since some of the guys I play against read my blog, I have stopped posting specific hands in there, but I also have a thread over @ footballguys.net forums (fasteddie_21 over there), so if you guys want to either read or join in the discussion of specific hands or whatnot, just post in the thread and I try to answer each post.

Hopefully you guys don't think I'm spamming the board or w/e...just trying to give you guys the option to follow along w/ the hands etc.

And fwiw, I love the old reruns of poker later at night...I usually have seen them all about a dozen times, but at 3am, I'll take it if I'm not out playing! ;)

KittyDuran
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
So are you going to start turning up on ESPN? I personally despise the fact that ESPN, FSN, and other outlets have been clogged up with televised poker matches, to the exclusion of sports I enjoy, namely soccer. However, if a Redszoner were on, I might catch a broadcast or two.My Mom is addicted to those shows. If SFC gets on any show (and if he hasn't changed his appearance that much) - I'll let my Mom know. :)

SirFelixCat
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
My Mom is addicted to those shows. If SFC gets on any show (and if he hasn't changed his appearance that much) - I'll let my Mom know. :)

heh...well since you last saw me, I had grown my hair out (20" pony tail) and cut it off, but now, I'm a fairly clean-cut guy w/ sideburns and a long goatee. Otherwise, short haired :)

And ya never know. I'm going to play a couple of events this year @ the WSOP, but I don't expect to win any...but ya never know!

OldRightHander
04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
And ya never know. I'm going to play a couple of events this year @ the WSOP, but I don't expect to win any...but ya never know!

Were the '90 Reds picked to win the WS that year?

SirFelixCat
04-21-2008, 04:05 AM
Were the '90 Reds picked to win the WS that year?

:thumbup:

3 blog updates in the last 24 hours. Some about playing with online poker superstars and some about the big fight Saturday night that we went to.

Life is still, well, pretty awesome!

SirFelixCat
05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Finally updated...sorry I've been a slacker, but should catch us all up now :)

SirFelixCat
06-01-2008, 07:04 AM
My first major tournament was today...2008 WSOP Event #2 $1500NL.

Only had my chips at risk on two seperate occassions, once w/ AQo on a resteal and once on the river w/ KQo on QQxxx board. Also, only flipped once (my JJ>AQo) and I finished Day 1a w/ T45,800 and in 31st place (of 224 remaining).

Day1b tomorrow (sunday) will play down to the same time in the tournament, so the way things look, by the time I start play again on Monday, I'll be in the money, assuming @ 62nd in chips of the 450 left.

Chip Counts (Edward Uhler) (http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/2008-world-series-of-poker/event-2-1500-nlhe/chip-counts/day1a/)

Go me.

oneupper
06-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Good Luck in the tourney.

Wonder if we'll get to see you on the WSOP recaps later this year.

How much is the take "at the money" cutoff point?

Buckeye33
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Good Luck in the tourney.

Wonder if we'll get to see you on the WSOP recaps later this year.

How much is the take "at the money" cutoff point?

I looked on the WSOP website and they do not have the payout scale up yet because they were still taking entries for day 1B.

SirFelixCat
06-01-2008, 04:35 PM
It should be somewhere around $3500 for the first pay level.

Buckeye33
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Just thought I'd throw an update out for Eddie. He has made it into the money today and is listed at having 45,000 in chips. There are 374 players left.

OldRightHander
06-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Just thought I'd throw an update out for Eddie. He has made it into the money today and is listed at having 45,000 in chips. There are 374 players left.

Where you getting those updates?

Buckeye33
06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Where you getting those updates?

You can google World Series of Poker or go to Pokernews.com

Buckeye33
06-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Our resident poker pro has been knocked out of this tournament. He finished somewhere around 240th and should have taken home around $3700. That is less then what he buys in at for his normal cash games from what I've read about on his blog. Still made $2200 for a couple of days work.

We'll have to wait and see what he got knocked out on. I'm sure he'll post sooner or later.

SirFelixCat
06-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey guys...I had a buddy of mine updating over at twoplustwo.com for me as well as footballguys.net, but not here, my bad...I'll copy and paste the updates and then my response at the end:

Eddy now has 39,800 chips, and is ten spots from the money.
Tournament is now in the hand-for-hand mode (tournament director makes each table finish the current hand before they deal the next, they do this to ensure players KO'd go out in proper order especially near money).

His table is aggressive, but he is in good shape.

-- Bubble just burst, eddys at 48,800. He laid down QK on K high board to the CL who said he had aces.

Two hands before the bubble burst david singer raises to 2700 with 16,000, eddy flats QKc. Singer check/folds to eddys 4600 bet on the K62 rainbow and shows AQ to eddys bet.

Hes in the money, on break now. Hour until next break

Good luck Eddy, keep it up!

hes guaranteed $3,218 minimum now, 2nd pay level.

He re-raised a steal attempt with AT and took a decent pot down, and is sitting on just over 53,000 now.

Eddie lost a 32,000 chip pot where he presumably got AQ all in preflop vs KK and lost.
Hes still sitting on a decent stack of 35,000.

The above hand was my only marginal spot of the tourney, really. I had just gotten moved to a new table and had yet to even take my chips out of the rack when I was dealt AQo. Blinds were 600/1200/100ante and it's folded to me in middle position. I raise to 3300 and the guy to my left immediately called. I had @ 55,000 and he had 25,000. Folded to the button who shoved for 14,000 more. I tanked for about 2 minutes and finally moved all-in to isolate. It's really close as to whether to fold or shove here, but what finally swayed me was that if I shove and win, I'm a HUGE stack and can really abuse the other stacks at the table. Unfortunately, he had KK (the top of his range, along w/ AA to do that with) and he flopped a K.

Eddys sitting with ~34,000 in the big blind. Folds to the small blind. Before Eddie looks, he asks "Can I get a walk"?. SB shoves. Eddie looks down at two red Aces, and calls.
22699 is the board. Small blind flips A2 for a monster suckout.
Eddys sitting on I believe 19k now. Nothing else he could have done, but hes in push/fold mode now.

This is the hand that really decided my tourney. His shove there was standard being a somewhat short stack. But nonetheless, getting the money in as an 88% favorite and losing really took the wind out of my sails, as you might could imagine.

The hand I went out on was fairly standard, but what wasn't was the guys slow roll. I was quite proud that I didn't choke slam the guy:

The AA v A2c hand obviously hurt. But I was proud of the way I handled it. As soon as he moved in, I asked him, "Really?" to which he responded with "Really". I look down and obviously snap call it.

Flop 225r and I tilt my head back like, "wow, ugh" and stand up for a second, take a deep breath, watch the turn and river 9, 9, then bend over to count out chips. And that was it. No snide remarks, nothing. Just on to the next hand. We went on break after my SB and obviously, I had the wind out of my sails and I went and found my buddy Jody who was playing cash and told him, then headed to the high-limit area to tell Assani who was playing 25/50 PLO.

Took a walk around w/ Amanda for 10 minutes and realized that while yes, I was short now, I wasn't out and was determined to not piss away my last 20k (blinds were going to 800/1600/200 after break). Also I realized that as fun, yet stressful as it was, I'm stress-free now and can just find my hand and go w/ it, as I'm too short to do anything but shove.

So I get moved twice before I have any opportunity to shove when the final hand came up. I'm like 7-8 hands into the new table when UTG min-raises. He has @ 30k total. Folds to me in the CO and I look down at AQo. I figure I have fold equity since if he loses this pot, he's crippled like I am. Folds to him and I say, "I think I have you, but I'd prefer you fold: "Oh, you think you have me?" And then he tanks for a no #### 45 seconds or so and finally says, "Call", and I instantly table my AQo and he chuckles and rolls over his AA.

As soon as I realize what just happened, I tap the table and say, "Stay classy" and watch the dealer roll over Kxx flop. I stand up, turns a J and I say to the dealer, "A ten for karma, dealer", but alas, it was not to be. The river was 9c and I'm sent to the rail in 229th place. I tell the table good luck and head to cash out.

Again, I was proud of the way I handled that situation and yeah, I was pretty pissed off about the slow roll, but c'est la vie, right?

While I was in line to cash out, the A2c guy (John, Bellagio tournament director) busts out and he mentions to me that he was impressed at how I handled the beat he put on me. So at least I know that as a professional, I at least acted as such, so that was nice I s'ppose.

Still hurts like a #####, though. $4,022 is the official cash, btw. Thanks to all y'all for the sweat and everything. Overall, I really think I played pretty great thru the whole tourney and only really had one ??? spot the whole time, so I mean, what else can I really ask for, right?

Still smarts though to bust out 229 of 4000. *sigh*

SirFelixCat
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Happy b-day me.

MWM
08-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Hey Eddie, I read your blog from time to time. Good stuff. I was just watching the WPT and saw Vanessa Selbst who you said you played with one night. Oh man, she was totally classless when it got down to the final two. Did you see it? the tension was so high I could feel it in my living room.

SirFelixCat
08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey Eddie, I read your blog from time to time. Good stuff. I was just watching the WPT and saw Vanessa Selbst who you said you played with one night. Oh man, she was totally classless when it got down to the final two. Did you see it? the tension was so high I could feel it in my living room.

I did not see it and while I wouldn't say I 'know her', she's just part of the young crew that has really started to rule the poker world (both tourneys and nose-bleed cash games), so she may be a bit cocky, for sure, but she is a helluva player.

Glad you're diggin' the blog...I'm busy playing and not really writing much these days, but when the inspiration to write strikes, I'll be back to writing.

KittyDuran
08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Eddie, I read your blog from time to time. Good stuff. I was just watching the WPT and saw Vanessa Selbst who you said you played with one night. Oh man, she was totally classless when it got down to the final two. Did you see it? the tension was so high I could feel it in my living room.My mom loves those poker shows... she was watching last night and there was a woman who was obviously cursing and getting "bleeped" out... was that her?