PDA

View Full Version : ABC anchor Peter Jennings has passed away

Reds4Life
08-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Passed away this evening from lung cancer, he was 67.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1015438

KronoRed
08-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Too young :(

When I was a kid we always watched ABC news..I found out about most of the worlds events from him :(

dman
08-08-2005, 07:22 AM
I always preferred Tom Brokaw's style rather than Jennings, but still, I wish this would never have happened to him. Jennings seemed to have some class about himself also.

cincinnati chili
08-08-2005, 07:28 AM
To show you the rock I've been living under... I had no idea he was sick, nor that he was no longer the ABC News anchor. RIP.

RFS62
08-08-2005, 07:59 AM
To show you the rock I've been living under... I had no idea he was sick, nor that he was no longer the ABC News anchor. RIP.

Me either.

Seemed like a very smart man with a lot of class. RIP

RedsBaron
08-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Jennings originally anchored the ABC evening news in 1965 when he was only 26 years old. That didn't work, but when he returned to the newscast a decade or so later he had great success. RIP.

RedFanAlways1966
08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Very sad. I watched Jennings' broadcast most nights for the last ten years of his career. He was the reason. To me there is not much diff between the news content of ABC, CBS & NBC. So it came down to which person I preferred. I chose Peter Jennings. I did not always agree with some of his personal views. But I liked his delivery when broadcasting the news.

guttle11
08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Im pretty young, so i dont go way back, but in High School we watched his "The Century" specials. I also watched "Search for Jesus" and those were both very well done.

he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

REDREAD
08-08-2005, 11:36 AM

I didn't know either, but I don't watch TV much anymore. He's one of those guys you just assumed would never retire and be there forever.

Unassisted
08-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I used to work for an ABC affiliate and it was there that I developed the habit of watching ABC World News Tonight. Watching the stories about him on GMA and "Today" this morning really confirmed the perception that I've held for a long time. Peter Jennings was the linchpin that held it all together. He put together an amazing career for a high school dropout.

I appreciate that in what turned out to be his final broadcast, he held himself up as an example of why kids shouldn't smoke and asked that parents use that occasion to remind their kids not to start.

BTW, Matt Drudge said on his radio show last night that Diane Sawyer has the inside track on the anchor desk at ABC.

Roy Tucker
08-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Me too. But then, I hardly ever watch the 6:00 network news. It is no longer the event it used to be with CNN, etc. and the Internet. I read somewhere that the average age of the evening news shows is 60.

RIP Peter. A class gentleman and a consumate professional.

08-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Anyone know the date of his last appearance on the news?

creek14
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Anyone know the date of his last appearance on the news?
IIRC it was the first week of April. Maybe the 4th or 5th.

Unassisted
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Anyone know the date of his last appearance on the news?April 5

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-08-2005, 01:00 PM
It's amazing to to think that barely a year ago the "Big 3" of Peter Jennings, Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw were firmly entrenched at 6:30 p.m. on weekdays. Now they are all gone.

I always enjoyed Peter Jennings and was sad to hear the news.

Bill
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Peter was simply the best. It is a shock he is gone, he will be greatly missed.

KronoRed
08-08-2005, 02:52 PM
BTW, Matt Drudge said on his radio show last night that Diane Sawyer has the inside track on the anchor desk at ABC.

I'd prefer Charlie Gibson.

creek14
08-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I know this sounds cold. And I guess it is. But we are using this high profile death as a learning tool with our son as to why smoking isn't the brightest thing in the world to do.

redsrule2500
08-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Same with me. I show it and was kind of shocked, but I guess it was known that he had cancer.

RIP

captainmorgan07
08-08-2005, 11:51 PM
sad to see peter jennings had passed saw it last nite around 12 or 12:30 with the big three of brokaw jennings and rather gone neither nba,abc or cbs has a permanent replacement yet

Falls City Beer
08-09-2005, 12:01 AM
I know this sounds cold. And I guess it is. But we are using this high profile death as a learning tool with our son as to why smoking isn't the brightest thing in the world to do.

Not cold at all. I'd do the same thing for my daughters--when they're old enough to make sense of it. Life is learning from mistakes.

Caveat Emperor
08-09-2005, 12:30 AM
The one lasting memory I will take from Peter Jennings is something very late in his career: his refusal (and, by extension ABC World News Tonight's refusal) to carry and coverage of the Lacey Peterson story.

While the advent of 24 hour cable news television has opened some of the broadest fronts in information, it has also brought about levels of sensational journalism previously unheard of. Every event is now spun out of control until one can scarcely remember why it became such a big deal in the first place. In this environment, Jennings took a stand and said, firmly: "No, this is not news, and if you want to find out about it, you can look someplace else."

I was impressed.

rdiersin
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM

I think that's what he would want you to do. I was watching the news last night when they reran some of his broadcasts and when they got to his last one in which he announced he had cancer, he said, yes I smoked for 20 years, or something like that. The way he said it was a way that I think he wanted people to know the dangers of it. That's just the impression I got.