PDA

View Full Version : The Hulk

TeamCasey
08-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Did anyone see the Hulk movie. I thought I'd have a popcorn/movie night with the little guy soon.

Is it youngster appropriate, or will it cause nightmares? (5 years old in September.)

(I also have a Looney Tunes The Movie backup plan. :) )

RedsBaron
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I saw it last year and didn't care for it. My then 7 year old son watched it and didn't have nightmares, but it just isn't very good IMO.

TeamCasey
08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Did your son like it?

RosieRed
08-12-2005, 06:56 PM
TC, there's nothing wrong with watching that movie just for Eric Bana. IMO.

http://www.universohq.com/cinema/images/eric_bana.jpg

:)

KronoRed
08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
I doubt TG would enjoy that :lol:

RedsBaron
08-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Did your son like it?
I think he was bored by it. He loves Spiderman and Batman, and watches them constantly, and he liked Fantastic Four, but he's never asked to even see The Hulk again.

GAC
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Did anyone see the Hulk movie. I thought I'd have a popcorn/movie night with the little guy soon.

Is it youngster appropriate, or will it cause nightmares? (5 years old in September.)

(I also have a Looney Tunes The Movie backup plan. :) )

Samuel got a copy after we went to the theaters. I've seen that movie toooo blankety-blank many times! :lol:

But Sam likes it. It's been on regular cable numerous times in the last couple of months.

It's OK. I thought the computer animation meshed well; but the plot/storyline was weak and very lacking. The Hulk doesn't make his first appearance till almost halfway thru the movie (not good with kids). They could have done alot better job IMO. They Hollywoodized what could have been a good movie IMO.

SteelSD
08-12-2005, 08:10 PM
TC, I'd avoid The Hulk if you're talking about watching it with someone that young.

First, to say that it starts slowly is an understatement. The background and origin of The Hulk is pretty darn convoluted in this film (and nothing like the comic). He's either going to get bored or you're going to have to tell him what's going on (that his father was an abusive nutcase who ended up killing his mother). Don't get me wrong- Eric Bana is really good and the CGI wasn't bad at all. But the plot is so messed up that even I (a HUGE comic book fan) ended up disappointed with the result.

Second, you'll run into Hulk fighting nasty hulk-like dogs. That fight, while action packed, is also REALLY violent.

I'd either go with your backup plan or, if he likes superheroes, try something like Mystery Men (Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria- 1999, PG-13). That's a pretty funny take on superheroes (Stiller is "Mr. Furious" whose superpower is just that he gets really mad. Azaria throws kitchen utensils. One guy is invisible, but only when no one is looking.). And there's a good deal of action. Or, if he hasn't seen The Incredibles, rent it immediately. :)

GAC
08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Take him to see that new super hero movie with Kurt Russell. I hear it's pretty good.

Or maybe the Incredibles?

TeamCasey
08-12-2005, 09:24 PM
We have the Incredibles. We watched that and had a peanut butter and jelly picnic on a rainy day. I have Looney Tunes .... which I'm looking forward to, and I KNOW he'll like. I also have Elf, even though it's a Christmas movie.

I think I'll screen The Hulk. He was kind of bored with Spiderman, even though he loves the figurines and cars.

RedsBaron
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Take him to see that new super hero movie with Kurt Russell. I hear it's pretty good.

Or maybe the Incredibles?
My wife and I took our 8 year old son to see "Sky High" (the Kurt Russell movie GAC mentioned) last week. It's a decent movie for that age group. It is clean, has some laughs, and a good message.

REDREAD
08-13-2005, 10:51 PM
The Hulk was one of the most boring superhero movies I've seen.

My wife and I watched it, and decided not to let the kids watch it. It's a bad movie, and the part of the kid seeing his mom murdered was pretty disturbing. (I wouldn't want my kids to see it, although there is worse out there).

RFS62
08-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Allow me.

The Hulk sucked. Big time.

REDREAD
08-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Allow me.

Man, you should be a movie reviewer. You nailed it. If I had only known that about a year ago, it would've saved me from the 2 hours of boredom :)

TeamCasey
08-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Allow me.

:laugh: I heart succinctness.

Was cute tonight. TB was getting excited about her birthday Scout seats game. She was planning batting practice and hall of fame and the whole nine yards. TM said, "We can't leave TC with TM all day!"

I told them to leave as early as they wanted .... go out, have lunch, pick up some sailors ...... yada, yada, yada. They NEVER have an adult day. Go for it!

I think boy and I will fish, picnic and have an evening slumber party movie fest.

KronoRed
08-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Allow me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/superheroes/images/hulk.jpg

pahster
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Hulk was one of the very worst movies I've ever seen.

GAC
08-14-2005, 05:48 AM
I wasn't to impressed with the FF one either.

RedsBaron
08-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I wasn't to impressed with the FF one either.
Fantastic Four was silly and probably a disappointment to fans of the comic. That said, my eight year old son loved it, and I thought it was okay. It didn't take itself seriously, and it did have Jessica Alba.

GAC
08-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah- 9 yr olds are easily amused. My son liked Dodgeball! :lol:

Puffy
08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
I will never forgive Ang Lee for ruining The Hulk. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

And why, why, why would any major movie studio give the freakin guy who did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon the keys to a potential franchise!!!! Ang Lee is the devil.

That is all.

RFS62
08-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I will never forgive Ang Lee for ruining The Hulk. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

And why, why, why would any major movie studio give the freakin guy who did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon the keys to a potential franchise!!!! Ang Lee is the devil.

That is all.

No kidding. I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But the Hulk could have been gold in the right hands.

Sweetstop
08-15-2005, 01:47 PM

That is all.

Leave Ang Lee alone. I love Sense & Sensibility.

savafan
08-15-2005, 01:50 PM
The Hulk. He has issues. Let's explore them...

Michael Allred
08-15-2005, 04:48 PM
"Hulk" disappointed me at first, it was the opposite of what I was expecting. After a while, I changed my mind. The very fact that it WAS so different is what eventually grabbed me.

For all this talk about superhero silliness, over-the-top violence, etc. here was the "Hulk" that actually attempted to make a serious, adult film that DARED to make you think from time to time.

I loved the idea, the visual style (the comic book panel look) though perhaps Lee could've had Bana inject a bit more charisma into his performance. Sam Elliot was great and Nick Nolte's character was downright William Shakespeare with his personal tragedies.

You can keep your "about nothing, say nothing" blandness like "Fantastic Four", cartoony crap like "Batman & Robin," I'll take a *unique* film like "Hulk" any day.

REDREAD
08-16-2005, 10:05 AM
No kidding. I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But the Hulk could have been gold in the right hands.

That was my thought too. It only needed a decent story to be a big hit. Instead they gave us a story that made no sense at all.

I wonder when the superhero movies are going to start dying out. Seems like we've gotten an avalanche of them over the last few years (ever since Spiderman hit it big), but most of them have been disappoining.

Johnny Footstool
08-16-2005, 10:15 AM
The Spidey films (and, to a lesser extent, the X-Men films) are great because the characters blend charisma, humor, and pathos. The character of the Hulk was always more about "Hulk smash!" than "Hulk crying on the inside."