PDA

View Full Version : Complaining Cable Customer Gets Next Bill Addressed to Nasty Name

Unassisted
08-17-2005, 06:25 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/081705_ap_sn_comcast_nastyname.html

Cable company calls woman a nasty name on her bill

Woman cancels subscription

August 17, 2005 LaChania Govan wasn't sure how Comcast cable felt about the dozens of calls she made complaining about her service. Then, she received a bill with a profanity substituted into the address where her name normally would be. The 25-year-old Elgin woman says she couldn't believe what she was reading because she'd voiced her dissatisfaction without being rude. Her bill was addressed to "B---- Dog." Comcast says it's trying to get to the bottom of who made the change. Govan -- meanwhile -- says she's canceled her Comcast service despite the offer of two free months of cable.

She's not the only one who's gotten such treatment. In May, Jefferoy Barnes of Maywood started getting letters from Peoples Energy that inserted a derogatory term into his name.

Peoples Energy says it fired the employee responsible.

KronoRed
08-17-2005, 06:41 PM
You must really want to get fired to do stuff like that, it's easy to find out who did it because every call is cataloged and who took it. (at least that's the way it is at every place Mrs.Krono has ever worked)

Yachtzee
08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Yep, the Chicagoland area isn't exactly known for its Customer Service.

CrackerJack
08-17-2005, 07:44 PM
2 free months is all they offered her? I think that might even be worse. She should get their cable free for a lifetime for that.

Virtual monopolies stink.

Reds Nd2
08-17-2005, 10:22 PM
LaChania Govan wasn't sure how Comcast cable felt about the dozens of calls she made complaining about her service. Then, she received a bill with a profanity substituted into the address where her name normally would be.

Well, if the name fits.

Yachtzee
08-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Well, if the name fits.

Have you ever had cable in Chicago? Dozens of calls to fix a simple problem doesn't surprise me. Customer service in that town is terrible. While I was living there, they actually found a bunch of mail in dumpsters across the city because some letter carriers were too lazy to actually deliver it. They would pick up mail at the post office, toss it in a dumpster and go off to do other things, then come back to the post office later, acting as though they had completed their shift.

Unassisted
08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Yachtzee, something tells me that you won't be moving to Chicago anytime soon. :D

From what I know about the way Chicago works, I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast knows perfectly well who did this, and that worker is protected from dismissal by their union.

zombie-a-go-go
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Well, if the name fits.

Easy, there.

I've had to call my cable company three times in the last month for service interruptions, problems with the digital feed, etc. the customer could be a punk, but c'mon, it's possible that the cable service is just crappy.

Ask RosieRed about that. ;)

Anyway, it's still no excuse to be calling a lady a name like that.

Blimpie
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice to see this sort of behavior is not just limited to monopolistic cable companies...

N.J. Eatery Writes 'Jew Couple' on Check
Aug 17 6:05 PM US/Eastern

ALLENHURST, N.J.

The bill was a shocker, and not because of the amount. After eating at a Jersey shore restaurant, Elliott Stein and his girlfriend were handed a bill that said "Jew Couple" near the bottom, as a table identifier used by the waitstaff. The slur also turned up on Stein's credit card statement weeks later.

"My grandfather went through all that in old-school Europe," Stein, a New Yorker and a regular at the restaurant, told the New York Post. "But that happened more than 50 years ago. You don't expect it to happen in 2005."

The New Jersey Attorney General's Office said Wednesday it is investigating the July incident at Parkhill's Waterfront Grill through its Division on Civil Rights.

Stein, 23, could not be reached for comment Wednesday. He did not return two telephone messages left at his office.

The server, identified on the check only as Karina, is no longer working at the restaurant, general manager Malia Wells said Wednesday. Wells wouldn't say if it was because of the incident.

"We don't run our establishment like that," Wells said. "It was definitely poor judgment on her part."

Stephen Reid, a spokesman for the restaurant, said it had been the waitstaff's practice to use descriptions of diners to identify them on checks, instead of using the number of their table, as many establishments do.

He said racial slurs were never used to describe diners.

REDREAD
08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
2 free months is all they offered her? I think that might even be worse. She should get their cable free for a lifetime for that.

Virtual monopolies stink.

Isn't it kind of funny how companies feel that a tiny little freebie will make everything alright? I was extremely irate with a long distance company over a screw up they did. After waiting over 1.5 hours for a human to answer the phone so I could cancel my service, they thought if they lowered my rate by 2 cents/minute, all would be forgiven and I'd be a happy customer :rolleyes:
Of course, I canceled it, but even if I did accept it, I'm sure they'd jack my rate back up after a couple of months.

Reds Nd2
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Have you ever had cable in Chicago? Dozens of calls to fix a simple problem doesn't surprise me. Customer service in that town is terrible.

I had no idea it was that bad. I guess I'm just lucky that the service isn't that bad where I live. Most problems can be handled with a couple of phone calls at most.

traderumor
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Have you ever had cable in Chicago? Dozens of calls to fix a simple problem doesn't surprise me. Customer service in that town is terrible. While I was living there, they actually found a bunch of mail in dumpsters across the city because some letter carriers were too lazy to actually deliver it. They would pick up mail at the post office, toss it in a dumpster and go off to do other things, then come back to the post office later, acting as though they had completed their shift.

NEWMAN!!
http://www.alibali.net/images/seinfeld_newman.jpg

Reds Nd2
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Easy, there.

I've had to call my cable company three times in the last month for service interruptions, problems with the digital feed, etc. the customer could be a punk, but c'mon, it's possible that the cable service is just crappy.

Ask RosieRed about that. ;)

Anyway, it's still no excuse to be calling a lady a name like that.

Yes, it's possible the service is just that bad as others have pointed out but dozens of calls seems just a bit excessive to me. I mean thats a phone call a day, every day, for a month. If the service was that bad, I'd have been seeking out other means of obtaining cable. Of course she may not have that option and the article didn't say the calls were all made within a months time.

I realize my comment was rather flippant and your correct, even if the customer was just being overly zealous in wanting to reruns of Friends, she didn't deserve to have that name typed on her bill.

However, I can't help it. I still think it's funny. :)

KronoRed
08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
If I'm DirecTV (probably the only competition in town) I'd offer her life time free service, just for the pub