PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio -- the fans best friend

WVRedsFan
08-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I know I'm more like a magpie day after day and preaching he gospel of XM is something I'm very evangelical about.

If you don't have XM, get it now. You can get a XM radio for your car for $35 now at certain web sites and the the $12.95 cost per month means you only spend $190 the first year and $155 thereafter for 24/7 baseball, 365 days a year. It's wonderful

This afternoon, I had to go to Beckley, WV to a meeting and in the car was the Reds game as well as Channel 175. Switching back and forth between those two channels, I got my fill of baseball (not really). Tonight, I get all the radio highlights as I try to sleep and in the morning, I can wake up to Buck Martinez and friends to discuss the night's games. At one point they had an interview with a reporter who did an interview with "Shoeless Joe" for Sport magazine way back when. Of course, they also had Marty and others on for discussion.

If you're a true baseball fan, you need this. Yes, I own stock in the company, but I'm not going to get rich with it. And the music channels rock.

oneupper
08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
I love baseball. But I'll take my radio free, thank you.
As for music...my iPod has the music I like (and I've PAID for).

Just sayin'. Satellite radio may be great. But it's not for everyone. And it's NOT cheap.

RFS62
08-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I love baseball. But I'll take my radio free, thank you.
As for music...my iPod has the music I like (and I've PAID for).

Just sayin'. Satellite radio may be great. But it's not for everyone. And it's NOT cheap.

You won't take anything like this free.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've got it in the car and my office, and I never turn it off.

Think about it, with all the free radio out there, why would anyone pay for content. It's because it's so far superior to free, commercial packed radio. And the baseball channel alone is worth it to me.

I agree 100% with WVRedsFan.

:thumbup:

RBA
08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I have XM and it's great. I listen to Reds Games, MLB Home Plate, O&A, CSPAN radio, and Air America :thumbup: . I also tune into some of the music from time to time.

Mr Red
08-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I guess its all relative to how much of a premium you put on your entertainment. As for me I love XM and all the baseball channels. Patrick, Martinez, and Bowa actually have a pretty decent show. They are much better on radio than on TV.

I have a friend who loves bluegrass music. If you are a bluegrass fan in my area you know that the only time you can listen to it on the radio is Sunday afternoon. I told him about XM and that they have a bluegrass channel 24/7. His response was that he wasn't paying for something that was free. My response was 10 years ago you wouldn't have given a $1 for bottled water either when you could get water out of the tap for free. Now he buys it before purchasing a soda.

If you love baseball give up three McD's extra value meals a month and it is paid for. You will not be dissapointed.

oneupper
08-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Call me a holdout. But I hate having stuff forced down my throat.
Detroit and the satelite radios co. are pretty much doing just that.

Time will show (remember cable TV), that satellite radio will not be commercial-free for long.

:thumbdown

Give me something that gives me added value AND saves me money (like Netflix/Blockbuster online) and I'll sign up every time.

Reds Fanatic
08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I also have XM and it is the best $12 I spend each month. I listen to the great baseball coverage, several great music stations and Opie and Anthony every day. If you ever switch to XM you will never go back to listening to regular radio again.

Moosie52
08-19-2005, 10:09 AM
The state of commercial radio in Indy is so bad, I recently bought a satellite system for my car. I debated between XM and Sirius and went with Sirius because we can pick up WLW and the Reds games on regular radio and that's the only baseball I care about. With Sirius I get a bluegrass station (although they seem to play the same 100 songs over and over), the NHL, NBA and NFL. There are also at least 3 oldies channels on Sirius,which is fun. For me it's worth the cost.

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I had XM, but I found myself flipping though the stations way too often and not paying attention to the road. I gave it to my wife, and she keeps it locked on the rap stations.

Jpup
08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Opie and Anthony, MLB 175, and Laugh USA are my 3 channels that I listen to the most. It's worth the price. I will never go back to broadcast radio. :thumbup:

Joseph
08-19-2005, 10:35 AM
I have it and love it. My wife thinks it was crazy to pay for something you should be able to get for 'free.' I pointed out that we pay 50$ a month for TV and of course she tried to say it wasn't the same thing.

Let me tell you my friends, it's not the same thing, it's better. This isn't like paying for 700 WLW, or WEBN or any other over the air braodcast channel. These are hundreds of channels tailored to anyone and everyone's particular tastes. You've got the baseball, which is why I bought it and what I listen to 90% of the time. You've got every type music under the sun from rock, rap, pop, and country to various decades hits [for those of you still stuck in the 70's it's on channel 7 all day long] and you even get little niche like things. For instance on the punk channel there is a program called Hee Haw Hell which is something I like a bit, basically rockabilly punk stuff. Very cool, but it's less than 1/10 of 1% of the great things on XM.

Like I said, you're already paying for TV, internet, etc, so don't think of this as paying for something else you can get for free, think of it as an upgrade over the caveman radio to which you currently listen.

Blimpie
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Call me a holdout. But I hate having stuff forced down my throat.
Detroit and the satelite radios co. are pretty much doing just that.

Time will show (remember cable TV), that satellite radio will not be commercial-free for long.

:thumbdown

Give me something that gives me added value AND saves me money (like Netflix/Blockbuster online) and I'll sign up every time.Truer words were never spoken. Eventually, XM and Sirius will both collapse under the pressure of the almighty dollar. It will happen so gradually you won't even notice it. My favorite move is the one that TV is now doing....

"Tonight's episode of '24' will be brought to you without commercial interruption....courtesy of Ford Motor Company"

Sure, they do manage to refrain from subjecting the viewer to six 30 second ads during the show. But, prior to airing scenes from the next week's episode, they will make them sit through a five minutes mini-theatrical clip involving the Ford Expedition. Which--by the way--was strangely the only vehicle seen driving on every street in LA whilst Jack Bauer was chasing the terrorists that night.... :bang:

Johnny Vander m
08-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I know I'm more like a magpie day after day and preaching he gospel of XM is something I'm very evangelical about.

If you don't have XM, get it now. You can get a XM radio for your car for $35 now at certain web sites and the the $12.95 cost per month means you only spend $190 the first year and $155 thereafter for 24/7 baseball, 365 days a year. It's wonderful

This afternoon, I had to go to Beckley, WV to a meeting and in the car was the Reds game as well as Channel 175. Switching back and forth between those two channels, I got my fill of baseball (not really). Tonight, I get all the radio highlights as I try to sleep and in the morning, I can wake up to Buck Martinez and friends to discuss the night's games. At one point they had an interview with a reporter who did an interview with "Shoeless Joe" for Sport magazine way back when. Of course, they also had Marty and others on for discussion.

If you're a true baseball fan, you need this. Yes, I own stock in the company, but I'm not going to get rich with it. And the music channels rock.

$35.00? I paid $320.00. But I got mine when they first came out. Also got the box for my office too. Oneupper and Blimpy, XM will not go to commercials, they had them when they started up and the word they put out was when they reached 3,000 subscribers it would be comercial free. They kept their word. I love my XM and one thing not mentioned on here yet unless I missed it is if you do any travel in your car, there is no fade out. You could put it on one station and go from coast to coast with that same station. Thats just another reason I like it. If I had to do without cable I would but not XM. And oh yes, Merlot Wine. :help:

creek14
08-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I remember when you could walk into any gas station and get a map. Free. And in some stations you could get maps of every state. Free.

I remember when you could put air in your tires. Free.

I remember when you could get water. Free.

Assimilate, oneupper. It's futile to resist. ;)

IslandRed
08-19-2005, 07:08 PM
I don't even care so much about the no-commercials aspect of it (although that's nice). I subscribe to XM for the same reason I get cable TV -- they have stuff I want that I can't get for free.

oneupper
08-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I remember when you could walk into any gas station and get a map. Free. And in some stations you could get maps of every state. Free.

I remember when you could put air in your tires. Free.

I remember when you could get water. Free.

Assimilate, oneupper. It's futile to resist. ;)

I loved the MAPS!

But nothing was ever really free...or ever really will be.
It's a matter of value and convenience, I guess.

I probably don't drive enough for it to be worth my while. Redszone plus MLB.tv is about as much baseball as I can take (or should take, gotta work too).

Everything's a monthly charge these days. It really adds up fast. :(

westofyou
08-19-2005, 07:21 PM

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/gas2.jpg

RFS62
08-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I've been on the Dibble - Kennedy show twice now.

Just sayin'.

KronoRed
08-19-2005, 09:33 PM
I'd pay for to hear some RZers with shows :)

oneupper
08-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd pay for to hear some RZers with shows :)

They should podcast...

Joseph
08-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I've been on the Dibble - Kennedy show twice now.

Just sayin'.

I've probably heard you twice on the Show.

Johnny Vander m
08-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Back to XM (non baseball) anyone ever listen to channel 24, Sunny? It completly relaxes me after a hard day or a Reds loss.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Back to XM (non baseball) anyone ever listen to channel 24, Sunny? It completly relaxes me after a hard day or a Reds loss.

Asolutely, but I like channel 10 where I can cry in my beer--it's called America.

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2005, 06:05 AM
I'll chime in too...

I've been an XM Subscriber for over half a year now, and I honestly cannot imagine going back to regular radio. The $12 a month is absolutely worth it for the baseball coverage alone. Uninterrupted baseball talk with no annoying commercials and coast-to-coast reception...can't beat that. Plus there is always music or news whenever you need it...no getting stuck with every station at "commercial break" all at once.

Incidentally, it's cool to read that there are some other Opie & Anthony fans on here. I'd never heard of them before I got XM, but I started listening this summer and I've become a huge fan. They too make my $12 very worthwhile, especially since they've got rebroadcasts of their show on all day, so you can catch one part on the way to work, one part on the way home from work, and then fill in the gaps as you go along.

Punching out!

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I have XM and it's great. I listen to Reds Games, MLB Home Plate, O&A, CSPAN radio, and Air America :thumbup: . I also tune into some of the music from time to time.

Reds games AND Air America? You really are a glutton for punishment. :evil:

Deepred05
08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Do you have to pay extra for the baseball?

WVRedsFan
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Do you have to pay extra for the baseball?

No. It's part of the $12.95 you pay each month.

I hope this is OK, but www.xmfan.com has XM Roady 2 radios for $39. I paid $99 for mine.

Johnny Vander m
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
WVARedsfan, just how does this "roady" hook up and work? When I bought mine, XM just came out, I paid over 300 bucks for it and included was a cradle to put in the car, plugs into my tape player and sits in my catch/all coffee fig a migig that I bought from Auto Zone. There is no where to mount it in my car like some models of autos. The roady wouldn't be any different would it?

RBA
08-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Reds games AND Air America? You really are a glutton for punishment. :evil:

How's that? :thumbdown That wasn't really necessary, was it?

Moosie52
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I assume it works just like my Sirius in-car system. I went to H. H. Gregg and paid $99 for the radio and $50 for the cradle and $60 for the installation. If I had any electronics knowledge, I probably could have installed it myself, but I wanted it done right.

WVRedsFan
08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
WVARedsfan, just how does this "roady" hook up and work? When I bought mine, XM just came out, I paid over 300 bucks for it and included was a cradle to put in the car, plugs into my tape player and sits in my catch/all coffee fig a migig that I bought from Auto Zone. There is no where to mount it in my car like some models of autos. The roady wouldn't be any different would it?

Wetzel, the Roady 2 has a near mounting that sits on your A/C heat vent. Pretty clever. It has a built-in FM modulator, so all you have to do is tune your FM radio to 88.1 or 88.3 or any number of frequencies and threre's no need for the tape adapter (heck, I don't have a car with a tape player anyway). They also have a cupholder mount, too.

It's easy to take out and bring in the house, but at $39, I just bought another radio to use inside. I'll turn if off once baseball season is over. The Roady 2 is near because it's about the size of a cassette tape--it takes up very little room for us with small cars.

WVRedsFan
08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I assume it works just like my Sirius in-car system. I went to H. H. Gregg and paid $99 for the radio and $50 for the cradle and $60 for the installation. If I had any electronics knowledge, I probably could have installed it myself, but I wanted it done right.

With the Raody 2, you need no cradle. The car kit is included, so $39 is the only cost unless you pay for installation. I had a guy run the antenna wire for me and he charged me $15. I watched him and now I can do it myself. It requires no electronic knowledge--everything is well documented.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2005, 06:41 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to run the antenna wire -- no tools required. I simply put the antenna on the corner of the dash, ran the wire down a seam in the door seal, then ran it under the glove compartment and up around a seam in the center console. I wrapped the extra wire up and taped it under the center console. It's out-of-the-way, but we can take it out of the car without much trouble at all. My wife and I can transfer the XM from her car to mine if we're going on a trip or something.

KronoRed
08-22-2005, 06:53 PM
This thread is selling me on XM.

Shame the NFL is tied in with the other guys

RBA
08-22-2005, 11:56 PM

Most NFL games occur on Sundays. NFL is a visual sport. Are you really going to turn on the Sat Radio instead of watching the game on tv?

Joseph
08-22-2005, 11:56 PM
You can get a Roady 2 at the dreaded Wal-Mart for 39.99 now as well for those of you who don't want to order online and wait.

RBA
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Roady2 is $4.99 plus shipping after rebate at:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~194102~action~rap~promo_id~5187.asp

KronoRed
08-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Most NFL games occur on Sundays. NFL is a visual sport. Are you really going to turn on the Sat Radio instead of watching the game on tv?

If my team isn't on TV here then I'm up the creek :p: I could get sunday ticket but it is about 200 bucks now

Caveat Emperor
08-23-2005, 01:18 AM

Yeah, but the way I look at it is thus: if I'm gonna choose between two sports that I love, I'd rather choose the one where I get 162 games per season as opposed to just 16.

I'll make the 16 trips to BW's or someplace else to watch the Buccaneers and the Bengals play. :thumbup:

RBA
08-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Delphi XM Roady 2 Satellite Radio Package Universal Add-on $19.99

with code: ED8DGJFB8

link (http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=150626)

Exp Mon 8/29 Midnight PT or after 500 units,
free shipping.
Tax in AZ.
No rebates.
Limit 2 per customer.

RedlegNation
08-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I have the XM MyFi radio, which is just like a Walkman. I have a dash unit installed in my vehicle, but I use the MyFi in my wife's van whenever we go anywhere. I bring it in the house and listen to it. I take it to work and listen to it.

Best of all, I went to two minor league baseball games this weekend, and I took the MyFi with me and listened to the Reds while I was sitting in the stands.

It's worth every penny.

Johnny Vander m
08-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Well XM Radio was on the blink today, couldn't get any of the games.

WVRedsFan
08-28-2005, 10:02 PM
It sure wasn't here. Came in loud and clear.

Johnny Vander m
08-28-2005, 10:15 PM
All I got was "This game bla bla bla" on all the channels. Maybe because of the hurricane?

RBA
08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
All I got was "This game bla bla bla" on all the channels. Maybe because of the hurricane?

That shouldn't be right. Call XM tech support, they may need to update your receiver. I was constantly being reset to Channel 1 after I turn off the power to the car. An update to the receiver cleared that up.

Johnny Vander m
08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks RBA, but I got all the other channels ok, just not MLB. What is the # to call? After tomorrow it may not matter as we are expecting 70 to 100 mph winds from Katrinia so we most likely lose power, may have to sit in the car and listen.

RBA
08-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks RBA, but I got all the other channels ok, just not MLB. What is the # to call? After tomorrow it may not matter as we are expecting 70 to 100 mph winds from Katrinia so we most likely lose power, may have to sit in the car and listen.

That's what I was getting. The XM Tech guy sent a signal to my reciever to update it.

Here's the number:

Contact XM Listener Care by Telephone

The XM Listener Care Center is also available on the phone, please call 1-800-XM-RADIO (1-800-967-2346) during the following hours:

Mon - Sat: 6AM - 2 AM ETSun:8 AM - 8 PM ET

RFS62
08-29-2005, 01:05 AM
I had to do the same thing the other day. It just stopped working, and they sent a signal to reinitalize it, and it worked immediately.

Any of you subscribers, call in on the talk shows. It's nothing at all to get on. I've been on 4 times now, never had to wait over 5 minutes.

WVRedsFan
08-29-2005, 02:47 AM
I've had the same problems as JVM and RFS62 and one call to customer service fixed it. Typical satellite problems.

As for getting on the call shows...I took RFS's advice and called in on Friday. I got through immediately and unfortunately hit a dead area on my cellular service and didn't get on. Maybe tomorrow...

For the person who mentioned the XM2go receiver...if you live in a rural area, don't bother. I got one to jog with and it's just not very good in rural areas. It works fine in Charlotte when I'm down there or other big urban areas, but in good old rural WV, it simply sux. It's fine with an antenna in the car and in the house, but using it as a walkman is futile in a rural area.

WebScorpion
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Personally, I hate the idea of paying for a radio subscription. Just like I hated the idea of paying for good TV reception. I do remember when MTV (and other cable TV stations) was commercial free...I loved the all music video format.
I recently bought a new car, a mini-van (I know, blech!, but I have too many kids now) in fact. As is my habit, I got all the extras on it (Navigation, DVD, sunroof, etc.) well XM radio was part of the package. So far, it's been pretty nice, except it is far from commercial free. I still haven't decided whether I'll continue the subscription after the 'free' period ends. I love getting the Reds on radio, but I'm not always in the car when the game is on. I might consider a portable XM radio or one for the house, if I can use the same subscription for the house/portable and the car unit. I guess I'll have to check out the details.
You know What I'd really like? For about $150 per month, one subscription for my XM radio, cable TV, DSL, home phone, and cell phone service. I think I currently pay $200-$250 for these combined, so really anything under $200 would be nice. ...oh yeah, and gas for less than $2.00 per gallon would be nice too. :rolleyes:

IslandRed
08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't think urban versus rural should matter, because the signal's coming from a satellite, not city-based towers. I get great reception in rural areas. Maybe it's a topography thing? Just like DirecTV, you need a pretty clear shot to the southwest. When I drive through mountainous areas it's easy to lose the XM signal if I'm on the wrong side of the hill.

Reds Fanatic
08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
If you ever need a refresh of your radio again you can just go to this page enter you radio's ID and they will automatically send a refresh signal to your radio.

http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/

wheels
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Okay, I've got some questions:

1. How does that thing plug into my car speakers? My stereo's XM ready, so I'm thinking that it just kinda plugs in there, but I'm not sure.

2. Can I just go to a Circuit City or some place like that and pick one up?

3. Do they install it?

4. Is there an old soul station?

5. Could I pick up the Phil Hendrie show?

6. If I get one today, will I be able to start listening right away?

Thanks in advance.

Reds Fanatic
08-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Wheels,

I can answer some of your questions. I am not sure what you mean by your stereo being XM ready. You can get XM radios at Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Sears just to name a few places. Circuit City or Best Buy will install it. I installed my own but I know they will install it but there is a charge for them to install it. You can get the Phil Hendrie show. You can start listening as soon as you call XM or use the web site to activate your radio. As far as what channels are available this page will list all the channels.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number

wheels
08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
My car stereo's got the XM symbol on it, and the guy that sold it to me a couple of years ago said that it was "XM ready", but I didn't pay much attention to him.

I have no idea what that entails. Maybe I've already got XM and all I've got to do is activate it?

I've got no idea.

Reds Fanatic
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
My car stereo's got the XM symbol on it, and the guy that sold it to me a couple of years ago said that it was "XM ready", but I didn't pay much attention to him.

I have no idea what that entails. Maybe I've already got XM and all I've got to do is activate it?

I've got no idea.

I think what that means is your stereo has the controls to operate XM but you will need to add an XM radio adapter with an antenna that will have to be installed to plug into your car stereo. Or you can just buy a Roady2 or a Skyfi2 that will be cheaper. Those won't plug into your car stereo directly but they play through a cassette adapter or over one of the FM frequencies.

wheels
08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I read up on it a little, and think I go over to Target and get one of those Roady2's. It seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm starting to get the itch.

RFS62
08-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I read up on it a little, and think I go over to Target and get one of those Roady2's. It seems like a pretty good deal.

Wheels, I don't know anybody who would be a better candidate for XM than you. Between music and baseball, you'll love it.

westofyou
08-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Drink lots of water and get to the doctor for some penicillian.

wheels
08-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Drink lots of water and get to the doctor for some penicillian.

I knew that was coming.

Glad you didn't post a picture of it. :barf:

KronoRed
08-29-2005, 03:46 PM
I knew that was coming.

Glad you didn't post a picture of it. :barf:

I actually went looking for a picture..could't find a decent one ;)

wheels
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Okay.

I went and did it and I love it.

The first time I tried to hook it up, I got no power and my unit turned out to be defective, but my replacement worked like a charm.

First three songs I heard were all Ramones songs.

Absolutely freaking perfect.

I think I'm gonna need to go on a long road trip really really soon.

I can't find MLB radio, though, and my guide doesn't have it listed.

WVRedsFan
08-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Okay.

I went and did it and I love it.

The first time I tried to hook it up, I got no power and my unit turned out to be defective, but my replacement worked like a charm.

First three songs I heard were all Ramones songs.

Absolutely freaking perfect.

I think I'm gonna need to go on a long road trip really really soon.

I can't find MLB radio, though, and my guide doesn't have it listed.

Told you...

Channel 175. Make it a preset. Best thing on the air. You can't beat Bowa for breakfast...

Reds Fanatic
08-29-2005, 09:37 PM
MLB radio is on 175 and the games are on from the channels from 176 through 189.

wheels
08-30-2005, 01:31 AM
[QUOTE=WVRedsFan]Told you...

Channel 175. Make it a preset. Best thing on the air. You can't beat Bowa for breakfast...[/QUOT

Seriously...

Thanks for starting this thread.

After my girlfriend left tonight, I went on a long drive down by the lovely Scioto River, just flipping around and feeling like the king of the world, with the dog in the back seat.

Excellent.

WMR
08-30-2005, 01:55 AM
BA BA BOOOOOEEEEEEYYYYYYYY

Give me my Sirius.

O&A?? Blech.

WVRedsFan
08-30-2005, 02:30 AM

Give me my Sirius.

O&A?? Blech.

But there's no baseball in Sirius. You must be a football fan.

Caveat Emperor
08-30-2005, 09:28 AM

Give me my Sirius.

O&A?? Blech.

Hoo Hoo...I invented boring radio! Tell 'em Fred!

Baseball carries the day on XM. It's been a ton of fun listening to other announcers around the country as the Reds have been on the road.

WMR
08-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Hoo Hoo...I invented boring radio! Tell 'em Fred!

Baseball carries the day on XM. It's been a ton of fun listening to other announcers around the country as the Reds have been on the road.

I've got Sirius & XM.

LOL, rightttt, Stern is boring, O&A are just spectacular. LOL.

O&A are horrible, horrible, disgusting dopplegangers.

(Baseball is the only reason that I got XM as well. Although at this point, the mobile equipment for XM is superior to that of Sirius, I expect for Sirius to put out lots of new hardware as Stern's approach date grows closer.)

WVRedsFan
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I've got Sirius & XM.

LOL, rightttt, Stern is boring, O&A are just spectacular. LOL.

O&A are horrible, horrible, disgusting dopplegangers.

(Baseball is the only reason that I got XM as well. Although at this point, the mobile equipment for XM is superior to that of Sirius, I expect for Sirius to put out lots of new hardware as Stern's approach date grows closer.)

IF they can raise the money...

Sirius continues to lose money big time and the stock continues to be a poor buy. I do hope they survive, though. You need choice.

WMR
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
IF they can raise the money...

Sirius continues to lose money big time and the stock continues to be a poor buy. I do hope they survive, though. You need choice.

Yes, me too. Competition will only drive both of these companies to get better and better.

WebScorpion
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
For what it's worth, if you have multiple XM radios you must have a subscription for each device. The good(?) part is the second (and subsequent) device(s) is only $6.99 per month instead of $12.95. So, to replace all my radios (house, 2 cars, 3 portables *dang KIDS!*) it would only cost me about $50.00 per month! :rolleyes:

KronoRed
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, me too. Competition will only drive both of these companies to get better and better.

Exactly, also I doubt they would be allowed to merge/one dies the other guys the scraps..the DirecTV/Dish merger was killed for the lack of competition that would have come from it.

Just wish they didn't have exclusive deals going on, half the college football conferences are in with XM, the other half with Sirius. BOO

cincinnati chili
01-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, so I got XM for Christmas and just hooked it up.

In your opinions, who are the good and bad broadcasters on Channel 175? (And when are they on?)

The guy on right now seems kinda stupid. He told me that Jacque Jones and Juan Pierre were excellent acquisitions by the Cubs, so he's lost all credibility with me.

jmcclain19
01-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay, so I got XM for Christmas and just hooked it up.

In your opinions, who are the good and bad broadcasters on Channel 175? (And when are they on?)

The guy on right now seems kinda stupid. He told me that Jacque Jones and Juan Pierre were excellent acquisitions by the Cubs, so he's lost all credibility with me.

CC - I enjoy 175 - Here is the schedule

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/xm_feature.jsp?ch=175&id=794

Holden Kushner is a fill in/roving type host that I enjoy. I wish he hosted more often.

Ronnie Lane & Joe Castellano are the back to back late night guys - both typical sports show hosts - but a tad calmer

Charlie Steiner is on for me around lunch time, Rob Dibble & Kevin Kennedy follow him. Stiener is ok - although he's king of the softball questions.

Dibble and Kennedy in the afternoon can get pretty bad - I can't remember a duo of radio hosts that make it a frequent occurance to repeat their playing resume - over and over again.

Cal & Bill Ripken have a weekend show about the fundamentals of baseball that can be real entertaining

But as a whole I enjoy the station. Mainly because they don't hammer one topic repeatedly for the entire day like ESPN does. I was sitting in my car the other night waiting for someone and ended up listening to Allan Baird and the host talk Royals baseball for 45 min. You'll never get that anywhere else.

RFS62
01-01-2006, 09:49 PM
The best thing about the channel is the wide variety of guests they get on all the different shows. Where else do you get Bill James talking for 15 minutes about what he's learned from scouts in the Red Sox organization? Or Don Newcomb talking about what it was like on the road before hotels were integrated? Or Ray Knight talking about his fight with Cedeno and telling the back story of their minor league days.

The morning show has Buck Martinez and Mark Patrick, and used to have Larry Bowa. A lot of it is typical talk radio schtick, but a lot of it is stuff you'll never get anywhere else.

Steiners show gets the top beat writers from all over the country and gives them time to talk. Fantasy Focus is very good for roto geeks. Dibble and Kennedy is typical bombast, but they often get good topics or callers despite themselves.

You'll hear everything from Alan Schwartz discussing sabremetrics to Larry Bowa talking about the "little things", and everything in between.

I've called in on all those shows, and got on quite easily every time. I'd love to hear them say someday "now here's Chili from Cincinnati"......

cincinnati chili
01-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys.

Off topic, but I'm really liking the unsigned band channel 52. Three out of the 4 songs are crap, but I've already discovered some good bands listening to today.

RFS62
01-01-2006, 11:15 PM
try channel 51 too, XM music lab

it's my favorite

MartyFan
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Funny you should mention XM...My wife JUSt and I mean, minutes ago gave me a box that she had lost and inside it contained an XM radio Roady XT...I am out of my mind...I cannot wait to get it hooked up in the van!

Road trips will no longer be a bore!

WOOO HOO!

I'm writing down channel 175, 52 and 51...thanks guys...any other suggestions?

Krusty
01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Got XM radio for Christmas from my wife. It is the best investment ($10 a month), I could make. If I could live in my truck, I would.

Anyways, I plan to get the antenna and adaptor so I can listen to Reds baseball games from the house. It will be nice to get all the games in crystal clear sound compared to determining if the weather would cooperate and I would be able to listen to WLW from Pennsylvania late at night.

Jpup
01-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Funny you should mention XM...My wife JUSt and I mean, minutes ago gave me a box that she had lost and inside it contained an XM radio Roady XT...I am out of my mind...I cannot wait to get it hooked up in the van!

Road trips will no longer be a bore!

WOOO HOO!

I'm writing down channel 175, 52 and 51...thanks guys...any other suggestions?

202 and 175 are about all that I listen to. I'll occasionally listen to Sporting News Radio or something like that, but mostly to flip between 202 and 175. Tony Kornheiser's show is also on in the morning, I can't remember that station, but it's good.

Yachtzee
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I got XM for Christmas too. Driving back from Western NY was great! I can't wait for baseball season to start. I've also been listening to the XM feed over the internet. Too bad they don't offer MLB Radio or the ballgames over the internet. I'll just have to wait for the home kit I ordered to arrive.

wheels
01-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Anyone ever listen to Fox sports radio?

There's a guy on there with this whiny nasaly voice that drives me up the wall, and it seems like every time I tune it in, he's there. He has to be the absolute worst sounding man in radio history. I can't tell you if what he says has any substance at all because I just can't stand listening to him.

MLB Homeplate is awesome. I heard a nice thirty minute session with Will Carrol. He took calls and everything. Glad the holidays are over, though. The replays of past shows were becoming tedious.

Also, listen to the Phil Hendrie Show from 7-10pm est. I'm not gonna say too much about it, but it's the best radio show ever invented. It's on channel 152.

Joseph
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Also, listen to the Phil Hendrie Show from 7-10pm est. I'm not gonna say too much about it, but it's the best radio show ever invented. It's on channel 152.

There are other stations besides 175?

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Anyone ever listen to Fox sports radio?

There's a guy on there with this whiny nasaly voice that drives me up the wall, and it seems like every time I tune it in, he's there. He has to be the absolute worst sounding man in radio history. I can't tell you if what he says has any substance at all because I just can't stand listening to him.I listen to FSR (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/865321) all the time, our local sports talk station is an affiliate. What time of day are you hearing this guy whose voice you can't stand? If it's late night, it might be JT the Brick—he's my favorite host on there.

The Sunday morning "Moneyball" show is my absolute favorite show on FSR. I'm trying to get my computer set up to record it as a podcast.

wheels
01-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I believe his name is Scott Ferrall.

He must have been working overtime over the holidays, because he was on seemingly every time I tuned in.

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I believe his name is Scott Ferrall.

He must have been working overtime over the holidays, because he was on seemingly every time I tuned in.He's the co-host of the Moneyball show. I know what you mean about the odd voice. It always sounds like he spent the last 3 days cheering at the top of his lungs at a football game.

Joseph
01-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Ferrall on the Bench.

Loved him back in the day. Why I don't know.

Caveat Emperor
01-03-2006, 06:31 AM
202 and 175 are about all that I listen to. I'll occasionally listen to Sporting News Radio or something like that, but mostly to flip between 202 and 175. Tony Kornheiser's show is also on in the morning, I can't remember that station, but it's good.

Kornheiser's show is on 152 in the morning. It's a great show - much more like when I used to listen to him in high school when I lived in DC. His ESPN radio show was OK, but it lacked the flair and general grumpiness of the local Washington show.

I listen almost exclusively to 202, 175, and occasionally ESPN Radio on the talk side of things. Getting the ESPN News feed is great if you're stuck driving in the evening, since you can listen to Around the Horn and PTI at 6 & 6:30 respectively. Both of the shows on 202 (Opie & Anthony in the morning and Ron & Fez in the early afternoon) are absolutely hysterical, but probably not everyone's cup of tea. I've become thoroughly addicted to both shows since getting XM this past spring.

On the music side of things, I find Ethel to have an exceptional playlist of alt. rock. I've discovered quite a few good bands by just driving around with that in the background. XMU is also a good place to hear bands that otherwise would never make it to the radio.

That's just my take...I was skeptical about paying for radio at first, but there is absolutely no way I'll ever go back to commercial radio now. Heck, I'd pay $12 a month to hear O&A and MLB Homeplate exclusively, if I had to.

zombie-a-go-go
01-03-2006, 07:25 AM
That's just my take...I was skeptical about paying for radio at first, but there is absolutely no way I'll ever go back to commercial radio now. Heck, I'd pay $12 a month to hear O&A and MLB Homeplate exclusively, if I had to.

I received a Roady for Christmas as well, and what I quoted above are my feelings about it as well. Lady Zombie ran out of glue doing her scrapbooking thing last night, and she just gave me this "look of stunned disbelief" when I jumped at the chance to drive down to the store and buy some more. :D

Hollcat
01-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Don't know if it's been posted previously or not but channel 175 is also on Directtv at ch. 878. I'm not sure if it is always on but I'm listening to it now.

cincinnati chili
01-08-2006, 10:34 AM
I had to drive a lot this week, and my first-week Channel 175 reviews are in:

- I like Buck Martinez on the radio a lot more than I do on TV. He's got the temperment for morning radio. I don't always agree with his takes, but he's respectful of an intelligent argument and doesn't make the off-the-wall kooky statements that Kennedy/Dibble make

- Kevin Kennedy is just not for me. Last week I "learned" that the Dodgers problems last year resulted from their unwillingness to resign Jose Lima, and that Steve Garvey belongs in the Hall of Fame.

- Charlie Steiner has been on vacation

Krusty
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Larry Bowa on early in the morning isn't bad to listen to.

Anyways, XM Radio to radio is what DirecTV is to television. Once you go that route, you'll never go back to the basics.

RFS62
01-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Bowa isn't on anymore. He's the new Yankees third base coach.

And Martinez is by far my favorite.

Stiener gets on my nerves a lot. He's got a few catch phrases that he wears out. But he gets awesome guests from the baseball press, and it's a good show.

Krusty
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't really care for Kennedy and Dibble. Seems like they are hyping themselves and more interested in talking about their glory days.

RFS62
01-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't really care for Kennedy and Dibble. Seems like they are hyping themselves and more interested in talking about their glory days.

No kidding. I've never heard anyone, other than Tracy Jones, who drops the old "but I played the game" line as much as those two.

If they hadn't played, and they were just two guys off the street saying the stuff they often say, you wouldn't give them the time of day.

Krusty
01-08-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't know if he is on the show but I would love to hear Sports Weekly Bob Nightengale on MLB 175. I think he is better than Peter Gammons in getting the inside scoop of things.

wheels
01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I've heard Bob Nightengale on the radio before, and let me just say that there is a reason he is writer and not a broadcaster.

I think Gammons is the exception rather than the rule.

membengal
01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Just took the XM plunge yesterday, and it is sweet. Got the mobile MyFi unit and it is working just fine in the office, and at home. Outstanding.

175 is as good as you all said it was, and Martinez is MUCH better on radio than he was on ESPN.

RedsManRick
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
The only downside of 175 is that they replay their own content endlessly, particuarly interviews. You also have to put up with Dibble and Kennedy --- not the most insightful pair when it comes to analysis. I only wish MLB.com radio was on XM. The content repition is similar, but it's full of smart people and fantasy content, not just ex-jocks who have a hard time being objective about anything.