PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Attacks, Kills Teen Posing For Senior Pictures

savafan
08-19-2005, 04:56 PM
When will people learn that wild animals are just that? They're not pets or cuddly stuffed animals. How can we blame the tiger for holding true to it's natural animal instincts?

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4869665/detail.html

MOUND VALLEY, Kan. -- A Bengal tiger attacked and killed a teenage girl Thursday at a southeast Kansas animal sanctuary.

Haley Hilderbrand, 17, of Altamont, Kan., was posing with the tiger for her senior high school pictures at the Lost Creek Animal Sanctuary.

A news release from the Labette County Sheriff's Office said the big cat was being restrained by its handler, but it attacked the teenager, anyway.

The 7-year-old tiger was killed.

westofyou
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
This stuff slays me, people putting kids on buffalo and now this.... Tigers weigh like 850 lbs and can kill you with a half effort swing of their giant paw

registerthis
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
The 7-year-old tiger was killed.Well, great. You take a wild animal, place it in an unfamiliar environment, it reacts naturally and a human being is unfortunately killed, and then the tiger is killed as well.

Sometimes I really, really love humanity.

Jaycint
08-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, great. You take a wild animal, place it in an unfamiliar environment, it reacts naturally and a human being is unfortunately killed, and then the tiger is killed as well.

Exactly. Wouldn't want that Bengal tiger in Kansas to pose a threat to anybody else.

westofyou
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
The other day here in Portland someone lost their pet.... a "Siberian Lynx" it had been declawed and was missing for 2 days, when this woman came around the corner to her granddaughter screaming and saw the cat with its mouth on the girls head. GM threw a brick at the cat and it ran, eventually animal control tracked it down and killed it.

Keeping wild animals as pets is whack.

westofyou
08-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Tiger Attacks, Kills Teen Posing For Senior Pictures

Now she'll probably get her own page in the yearbook.

Unassisted
08-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Local news anchor reporting this story prefaced it with, "Remember parents, you can always say "no" when your kids ask for things." I couldn't agree more. Pin blame for this one on the parents.

The Baumer
08-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, great. You take a wild animal, place it in an unfamiliar environment, it reacts naturally and a human being is unfortunately killed, and then the tiger is killed as well.

Are we talking actual tigers or baby tiger fetuses? Because if we're talking baby tiger fetuses than I don't see what's wrong about killing them.

pedro
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Are we talking actual tigers or baby tiger fetuses? Because if we're talking baby tiger fetuses than I don't see what's wrong about killing them.

Is this really the place for that?

Falls City Beer
08-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Is this really the place for that?

Yeah, I mean what's next? Peeing in the sink?

savafan
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I mean what's next? Peeing in the sink?

As if every guy here hasn't been to a bar at some point in his life where that has been a necessity.

REDREAD
08-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Keeping wild animals as pets is whack.

I agree with this, but at the same time, I have no problem with killing one of these "pets" if they get loose. Human safety is my main concern. Everyone who owns one of these exotics claim that they are trained/harmless. The lynx may have been harmless, but the animal control people don't have time to verify this, IMO.

While I think it was incredibly stupid to get a picture taken with a Tiger, I do feel much sadder that someone lost their daughter than I do for the Tiger.

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Exactly. Wouldn't want that Bengal tiger in Kansas to pose a threat to anybody else.

I think in cases like this they destroy the animal because they are afraid it will develop a "taste" for humans and will become a threat to its trainers, handlers, etc.

Jaycint
08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
I think in cases like this they destroy the animal because they are afraid it will develop a "taste" for humans and will become a threat to its trainers, handlers, etc.

I agree, I was commenting more on the absurdity I guess of anybody owning one of these animals ( even a shelter). In my opinion the only place you should be able to see a tiger is the zoo.

registerthis
08-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree, I was commenting more on the absurdity I guess of anybody owning one of these animals ( even a shelter). In my opinion the only place you should be able to see a tiger is the zoo.That was more my take as well. This whole incident is just an unfortunate result of someone else's stupidity. And now a girl and the tiger are both dead.

Blimpie
08-23-2005, 12:53 PM
As if every guy here hasn't been to a bar at some point in his life where that has been a necessity.I have "heard" that garbage cans also work when the sinks are being occupied. Just sayin'.

pedro
08-23-2005, 01:01 PM
As if every guy here hasn't been to a bar at some point in his life where that has been a necessity.

It is never a necessity to pee in the sink.

These are maxims we should live by.

just sayin'

redsrule2500
08-25-2005, 02:18 AM

Any animal that kills a person needs to die.

Jaycint
08-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Any animal that kills a person needs to die.

That's a fair enough argument but it doesn't really get to the heart of what Reg was trying to say which is that this wild animal shouldn't have been in an Animal Shelter in Kansas of all places.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
That's a fair enough argument but it doesn't really get to the heart of what Reg was trying to say which is that this wild animal shouldn't have been in an Animal Shelter in Kansas of all places.

There was a private zoo about 2 miles from my hometown just west of Wichita. Some rich guy had a huge piece of land that he transformed into a veldt of sorts. It was surrounded by dirt roads and wheat fields. You could drive by and see giraffes galloping along. He also kept tigers, and about 10 years ago when I was in college, I remember seeing a news story that one of them had mauled its keeper.

Red Leader
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
There was a private zoo about 2 miles from my hometown just west of Wichita. Some rich guy had a huge piece of land that he transformed into a veldt of sorts. It was surrounded by dirt roads and wheat fields. You could drive by and see giraffes galloping along. He also kept tigers, and about 10 years ago when I was in college, I remember seeing a news story that one of them had mauled its keeper.

I thought it was "Welcome to the Heartland of America," not the Serengeti.

Roy Tucker
08-25-2005, 09:44 AM
When I saw the headline on this article, my first thought was "thinning the herd".

And I don't mean the tiger.

registerthis
08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Any animal that kills a person needs to die.Depends on the circumstances...I just find it sad that this is the predominant line of thinking. Animals are going to behave a certain way, and when you take them out of their native habitat and into an unfamiliar one, these types of events have a good chance of happening. Most certainly, the girl would still be alive, and the tiger would, too, if these morons hadn't kept the tiger on their farm in Kansas.

registerthis
08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
When I saw the headline on this article, my first thought was "thinning the herd".

And I don't mean the tiger.I don't know if I'd blame the girl for this...I'd say her parents and the keepers of the tiger bear the brunt of the responsibility.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
I thought it was "Welcome to the Heartland of America," not the Serengeti.

Well, we get tired of looking at prairie dogs all the time.

Roy Tucker
08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't know if I'd blame the girl for this...I'd say her parents and the keepers of the tiger bear the brunt of the responsibility.
I know it's a enormously callous and cavalier thing to say. Someone's daughter/sister/friend died and that is a real tragedy.

I just sometimes get fed up with the incredible stupidity I see in the world.

And when people do incredibly stupid things and something bad happens, I think "Well, yeah you moron, did anyone think about this before hand? And didn't it dawn on anybody that there might be some danger in it and its a really stupid thing to do? Is it really worth risking your life for a neato-keeno senior picture that your friends will talk about?".

What's the over-under for days till a law suit is filed?

(shakes his head)