PDA

View Full Version : Man dies trying to stop gas theft

zombie-a-go-go
08-22-2005, 11:46 AM
FORT PAYNE, Alabama (AP) -- A gas station owner was run over and killed when he tried to stop a driver from leaving without paying for $52 worth of gasoline, police said.

The driver had not been apprehended Sunday, and police Chief David Walker said the case was being investigated as a robbery-homicide.

Witnesses told police that Husain Caddi, owner of Fort Payne Texaco, "grabbed onto the vehicle" Friday when the driver began to drive off.

Caddi was dragged across the parking lot and onto a highway, where he fell to the pavement and was run over by the late model sport utility vehicle's rear wheel, Walker said.

"Other vehicles were leaving the station's lot and there was a great deal of traffic on the roadway near the station at the time," Walker said.

Caddi, 54, later died at a hospital, Walker said.

Police said the driver was in his 20s or 30s.

Gas prices have surged to a nationwide average of $2.55 a gallon.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/22/gas.theft.ap/index.html

KronoRed
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Poor guy :(

All pumps should go to pre pay

fielder's choice
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

RosieRed
08-22-2005, 02:41 PM

Definitely. With high gas prices, more people are going to drive off. Pre-pay pumps = good, IMO.

registerthis
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Definitely. With high gas prices, more people are going to drive off. Pre-pay pumps = good, IMO.Only if you're not using a credit/debit card. I hate having to go "pre-pay" with my credit card. It makes no sense.

savafan
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Clearly the smart thing to do here would have been to call the police and let them handle it.

westofyou
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
In Oregon you can't pump your own gas.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Only if you're not using a credit/debit card. I hate having to go "pre-pay" with my credit card. It makes no sense.

Why not? The pump doesn't charge your card until you're finished.

registerthis
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Why not? The pump doesn't charge your card until you're finished.No, because you have to walk into the station and guesstimate the amount it's going to take to fill up your car, and then have them charge it.

When they have the credit card terminals at every pump, it makes no sense whatsoever to ask a credit card user to go into the station and pre-pay there. It's a waste of time.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
No, because you have to walk into the station and guesstimate the amount it's going to take to fill up your car, and then have them charge it.

When they have the credit card terminals at every pump, it makes no sense whatsoever to ask a credit card user to go into the station and pre-pay there. It's a waste of time.

OK, I see what you're talking about. When I think "pre-pay," I think "put your card in the credit card slot at the pump." I never buy gas at places that don't have a credit card terminal at the pump, and I would never buy gas at a place that would require me to "guess" the amount.

registerthis
08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
OK, I see what you're talking about. When I think "pre-pay," I think "put your card in the credit card slot at the pump." I never buy gas at places that don't have a credit card terminal at the pump, and I would never buy gas at a place that would require me to "guess" the amount.Yes, it's idiotic. There are several stations out here that have credit card terminals at the pump, but for whatever reason after dark they turn them off and you have to go inside to pay for your gas, even with a credit card. And unless you want to return to the station when you're done and let the station owner hold onto your credit card, you've got to "guess" the amount to fill up your car. Like I said, it makes no sense. :confused:

RedsBaron
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Clearly the smart thing to do here would have been to call the police and let them handle it.
Yes. Your life, or even your physical well-being, is worth more than money, although it does bring to mind the old Jack Benny skit:
Robber: Your money or your life.
Benny: I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

RosieRed
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, it's idiotic. There are several stations out here that have credit card terminals at the pump, but for whatever reason after dark they turn them off and you have to go inside to pay for your gas, even with a credit card. And unless you want to return to the station when you're done and let the station owner hold onto your credit card, you've got to "guess" the amount to fill up your car. Like I said, it makes no sense. :confused:

Oh, I had no idea places did that. :confused:

All the stations I go to have the "pay at the pump" feature on all the time. I can't even remember the last time I went inside to pay for gas.

KronoRed
08-22-2005, 04:52 PM

This goes on the reasons to move west list.

Chip R
08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Yes, it's idiotic. There are several stations out here that have credit card terminals at the pump, but for whatever reason after dark they turn them off and you have to go inside to pay for your gas, even with a credit card. And unless you want to return to the station when you're done and let the station owner hold onto your credit card, you've got to "guess" the amount to fill up your car. Like I said, it makes no sense. :confused:
I tried to do that one night at a Thorntons on Colerain Ave one night a few months ago. It wanted me to pre-pay even though it was credit-card equipped. I just said, screw it and went to the Speedway a few blocks down the street. I did get gas there once during the day and it was OK for prepaying with a credit card. Maybe it was just a night time thing. :confused:

macro
08-23-2005, 12:33 AM
If they've got your credit card swipe ahead-of-time, why on earth wouldn't that be sufficient? :confused:

RFS62
08-23-2005, 07:22 AM

New Jersey, too.

cincinnati chili
08-23-2005, 07:22 AM

This is true in most parts of New Jersey. I heard it was a union thing, but maybe it is because of drive-offs.

westofyou
08-23-2005, 10:55 AM
This is true in most parts of New Jersey. I heard it was a union thing, but maybe it is because of drive-offs.

Right to work laws, and yes it's only NJ and Oregon.

Here it keeps you dry.