PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces price for XBOX 360

Michael Allred
08-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Microsoft sets Xbox 360 pricing at up to $399

Wed Aug 17, 8:44 PM ET

Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Wednesday said its new Xbox 360 would sell for as much as $399 in the United States, the most expensive mainstream video game console launch yet.

The move raises the financial stakes in Microsoft's war with Sony Corp. (6758.T), which plans next year to launch its own new console, the PlayStation 3.

The two companies already dominate the $25 billion video game hardware and software market and are expected to try to make their consoles hubs of digital home entertainment.

The $399 Xbox 360 bundle includes a wireless controller, a headset and a detachable hard drive that lets the console play games made for the original Xbox and play particularly sophisticated games, such as some role-playing titles.

Microsoft also will offer a $299 Xbox 360 "Core System," which includes a wired controller, but analysts expect early buyers to choose the pricier model.

A November launch is widely expected for the software giant's new console. That would give it a head start against Sony's PlayStation 3 and smaller rival Nintendo Co. Ltd's (7974.OS) next-generation Revolution console -- both due in 2006.

Current versions of the Xbox and PlayStation play music and movies. New versions will have more advanced graphics and high-speed Internet connections -- improving features such as online game play and chat.

Price has not historically been a hurdle for hard-core gamers, who are expected to be the first buyers of the Xbox 360 and will want to use the console to play games they already own.

"By definition early adopters aren't price conscious," said Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

The new console will launch simultaneously in the U.S., Japan and Europe ahead of the holiday season, Microsoft said.

The Xbox 360 Core System will sell for 299 euros in Europe and 209 pounds in Britain. The higher-priced version would be 399 euros and 279 pounds, European home and entertainment head Chris Lewis told journalists at Europe's biggest computer games fair in Leipzig, Germany.

The company said it would unveil pricing for the Japanese market at the Tokyo Game Show next month.

COMING PRICE WAR

At its November 2001 U.S. debut, the price on the Xbox was $299. The following May, Microsoft slashed the price to $199. The console now lists at $149.

Wedbush Morgan's Pachter said Microsoft's Xbox 360 pricing gives the company room for price cuts should Sony price its PS3 competitively.

Analysts expect the PS3, which Sony said will have twice the processing speed of the new Xbox, to sell for $399 or

$499.

Sony's game unit boss Ken Kutaragi has not given pricing details for the much-anticipated game player, but has often hinted that its price will be high -- even going so far as to say that the company's aim is to make the PS3 so good that people would work overtime to buy it.

Sony launched the PS2 in October 2000 with a U.S. retail price of $299, beating the Xbox and Nintendo GameCube to the market by over a year.

The PS2 has outsold the Xbox by nearly 4-to-1 since, and this time Microsoft is determined to beat Sony to market.

Microsoft has declined to give sales targets for the Xbox 360 or to say how many would be available at launch. Thus far, Microsoft has sold about 22 million Xboxes -- giving the company around one-sixth of the installed base of games consoles globally.

Wow, guess I'll be waiting for a price reduction!

KronoRed
08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
The PS3 is rumored to be 100 bucks more.

Undercutting sony by that much may just lead them to a win this round.

redsrule2500
08-25-2005, 02:13 AM
No way am I paying that much for a console. Screw that.

I'm definetly going with Revolution, $199

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
PS3 will end up being the same price as X-Box 360. PS3 will rule.

WVRed
08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I bring the goods.

X-Box 360

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBox_360

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00192/Xbox_360_230_192725a.jpg

Playstation 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Ps3222124bn.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/ImagePs305.jpg

ghettochild
08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
ps3 will blow xbox360 out of the water, the sepcs are unbelivable

KronoRed
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh I agree on the specs, but when will it hit the market? I've heard next spring all way till sping of 07..waiting that long can't be a good plan if the 360 is coming out this fall.

TC81190
08-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Revolution baby.

KronoRed
08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/NintendoRevolution.jpg

Neatest thing I've read about the Revolution is that ability to download and play all old NES/SNES games

TC81190
08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/NintendoRevolution.jpg

Neatest thing I've read about the Revolution is that ability to download and play all old NES/SNES games

Games, son. Don't care about specs/graphics. It's the games. Can't wait to play Super Smash Bros 3.

Johnny Footstool
08-26-2005, 11:00 AM

Oh man. That's HUGE.

BTW - I read that there is something special about the controller -- hence the name "Revolution." I imagine it's a handheld touch screen with user-programmable configurations. Wireless would be nice, too.

GIK
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
If it's true that Revolutin will have NES/SNES capability, that makes it a must have IMO.

Super Tecmo Bowl, Excitebike, Bases Loaded...oh yeah.

Blimpie
08-26-2005, 12:17 PM
PS3 will end up being the same price as X-Box 360. PS3 will rule.Agreed on all counts. Sony doesn't care where X-box ends up on price because Sony will come down to whatever they need to in order to move units. Both companies sell their systems at siginifcant losses anyway--they make the real cabbage on software licenses...and in that arena, X-box can't hold Sony's wireless jock.

Blimpie
08-26-2005, 12:18 PM
If it's true that Revolutin will have NES/SNES capability, that makes it a must have IMO.

Super Tecmo Bowl, Excitebike, Bases Loaded...oh yeah.NOW, you have my attention... :D

WVRed
08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Ok, I now think im going with the Revolution.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=other

GAC
08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
My oldest boy wants one. By the looks of the cost - he better start a 401K, cause Dad ain't buying him one. He better start believing in Santa then. ;)

BoydsOfSummer
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Here is a link to an article that really breaks them down in comparison. Best on the topic I've seen. Be forewarned it's long and full of megaflitzes,terazixels and other stuff goobers like me need to know. :cool:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453&p=1

redsrule2500
08-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Revolution's controller is supposed to be aweosme, and confirmed wireless.

The downloadable old games is an awesome feature IMO. Some n64 games that suffered from a poor framerate (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark) are even gonna have an advanced mode which allows for better graphics on the classics.

So...total backward compatiblity = Amazing. Plus, online SMASH BROTHERS.

:) :thumbup:

pahster
08-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Meh, I'm surprised Nintento hasn't gone software-only like Sega yet (I believe there were rumors that they were considering it a couple years ago). Their console sales have been atrocious (and with good reason imho). They just don't have the library to stay competative. Seriously, the last Nintendo system I owned was the SNES. These are the few games I'd actually be willing to pay for to play;

N64

Link games
Mario Kart 64
Smash Bros

Gamecube

Link games
Mario Kart Double Dash
Smash Bros

Revolution

Link games
Mario Kart whatever
Smash Bros

Notice a pattern? Nintendo doesn't market very many games towards people in my age group (I'm 20) anymore. There certainly are other titles I'd be interested in playing, but they're available on other systems.

The XBox is in a similar situation with me. They do market games for people like me, but they still don't have enough to get me to buy their system. I love playing Halo and Fable (and Jade Empire. I'm hoping it gets released for PCs soon) but other than that they really don't have anything to make it worth my money.

The Playstation, on the other hand, has a huge library of games. I loves me the console RPGs, so there really is no competition between the Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. I've given up on baseball games since High Heat died. The PS also has great stuff like the Metal Gear series.

Honestly though, for the prices these consoles are starting at, I'll probably just stick with the new pretty high end computer I just built for around $900.

REDREAD
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know when the Nintendo Revolution is coming out?

KronoRed
08-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know when the Nintendo Revolution is coming out?
Full specifications and details on the system and controller as well as the price for the final product will be unveiled between September 16th and 18th, 2005 at the upcoming Tokyo Games Show.

--Thanks to Wikipedia :D

REDREAD
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks Krono, I was thinking about getting a Revolution for my kids this Christmas.. From my limited knowledge, it seemed like a good young kids' game console (since it has all the old Nintendo games available).
The wireless controllers are nice too, since there won't be any more wires for Dad to repair after extended use.