PDA

View Full Version : What's The Record For The Most Spyware....

GAC
08-27-2005, 03:17 PM
you've ever found on your computer?

I think it is safe to say that we all, at times, have had to deal with spyware. And most have some sort of spyware removal software on their computer. Over the last few years I've tried several. Right now I have Ad-Aware, and one I really like called Spyware Doctor.

I ran it on my daughter's computer today, and it found.... 1349!!!

Where's my trophy! :D

KronoRed
08-27-2005, 03:21 PM
http://www.golfsartgallery.com/golf_gifts/golf_trophies_awards/trophies_awards_graphics/tro_dak108a.jpg

Dom Heffner
08-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Well I guess if I didn't run it regularly, I could find that many, too. :)

Your poor daughter. ;)

CrackerJack
08-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Give that man a trophy. :)

Unassisted
08-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone who owns stock in spyware companies better sell it first thing on Monday. GAC's housecleaning will probably hurt a few of them! ;)

paintmered
08-27-2005, 07:01 PM
My frosh year in college in the dorms I ran some anti-spyware on my friend's computer.

Over 4000 spyware hits! The computer actually crashed the first few times I tried it because it was so overwhelmed during the search. His computer was running like it was made in 1972 it was so bogged down with that crap.

I have an active anti-spyware program on my computer so I've never seen more than a dozen on mine.

MWM
08-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Go out and buy Webroot, you cheap ......

TeamCasey
08-27-2005, 08:47 PM
I get 39 almost everytime.

macro
08-28-2005, 12:22 AM
My brother-in-law claims to have found 2500 on a PC where he works, but I didn't see it firsthand.

Since I began using the Mozilla Firefox Web browser in January, I found exactly one (1) spyware file on my machine using Ad-Aware SE with updated definitions. It has reached the point where I rarely check anymore, but I did a couple of days ago just to be sure. Once again, none were found. Is this normal?

GAC
08-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Go out and buy Webroot, you cheap ......

I had Spy Sweeper. It was missing stuff that Ad-Aware was catching. But I purchased Spyware Doctor several months ago, and IMO, I have found it to be the best that I have used so far. It also runs in the background on my computer, and if I try to open a site that has a virus or spyware on it, it flashes a screen telling me so and warns me, and prevents the site from opening until I tell it what to do.

pahster
08-28-2005, 10:50 AM
My brother-in-law claims to have found 2500 on a PC where he works, but I didn't see it firsthand.

Since I began using the Mozilla Firefox Web browser in January, I found exactly one (1) spyware file on my machine using Ad-Aware SE with updated definitions. It has reached the point where I rarely check anymore, but I did a couple of days ago just to be sure. Once again, none were found. Is this normal?

Yes. IE has no built in safety net. It's a terrible browser. Try not to ever use it. I've been exclusively using Netscape (more recently Mozilla) and I've gotten very few virii/spyware/adware. Somebody recently got on my computer and used IE, though. Now I've got some malware. It's looking like its gonna be a pain to get rid of.

MWM
08-28-2005, 10:52 AM
I'd use Netscap or Mozilla myself, except I'm so addicted to the Google toolbar that I think works only with IE.

pahster
08-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I'd use Netscap or Mozilla myself, except I'm so addicted to the Google toolbar that I think works only with IE.

I'm not sure exactly what's on that, but Mozilla has a built in Google search bar.

ghettochild
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
firefox for the win. built in google search bar, popup blocker, tabbed windows (a mucho plus for me), and its sooo customizable.

i can't get my siblings to use it though...as they've infected my pc to where it'll randomly disconnect from the internet.

i think my record is about 4500 i found on a friends pc.

i went ahead and reformated his stuff

TeamSelig
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
I work on friends/families computers and the most i've ever grabbed was 172. I thought that was alot. Wow.

traderumor
08-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Since I began using the Mozilla Firefox Web browser in January, I found exactly one (1) spyware file on my machine using Ad-Aware SE with updated definitions. It has reached the point where I rarely check anymore, but I did a couple of days ago just to be sure. Once again, none were found. Is this normal?I just ran spybot and adaware SE yesterday with updates and came clean. I also primarily us Mozilla, but the kids need IE to play games on some of the sights like disney and nick, but they don't seem to be picking anything up, which is good news. I also use Outpost as my firewall and Norton antivirus and they have kept me relatively clean.

TeamMorris
08-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I get about 40 to 45 every time I run it.

Wow GAC!! I bet her computer runs much better now!

KronoRed
08-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I found 43 the last time I ran it..I only run it once a month

Joseph
08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
About a year ago I bought a laptop and gave my mom my old PC. Before giving it to her I cleaned it up [virtually speaking] and ran all the scans and what not. Less than a month later she called saying it wasn't working so I went over and ran the scans and checkers and such and she had just over 5000. Turns out her husband is an online poker player and those places are horrible about spyware and viruses etc.

On my computer I use Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster and occasionally the Microsoft Anti Spyware in conjuction with my firewall and virus scan and Mozilla browser and I think once every three or four months I might have something come up spyware wise.

IslandRed
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
My computer? Very little. I work at home so I take care to keep my machine protected -- anti-virus, firewall, spyware killers, etc.

Last time we went to visit the in-laws, my mother-in-law (new DSL connection) and wife's aunt (with teenage daughter) both asked me to take a look at their computers. I got well over a thousand problems in Ad-Aware on each, and that was after the anti-virus installation and removal step. Took me an entire day to get their machines right.

The good thing is, people can get everything they need for free; it's a rare piece of spyware that one of Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and the Microsoft Anti-Spyware can't handle. HijackThis is also pretty handy. AVG puts out a good free anti-virus program, and ZoneAlarm has a free version of its firewall.

GAC
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I get about 40 to 45 every time I run it.

Wow GAC!! I bet her computer runs much better now!

It was really running OK with it. Which I couldn't understand how?

I seem to be the only responsible one in this household who seems to take the time to check (and care) about it.

My kids play alot of those gaming sights for kids where you have to give permission and then download. And that is where it comes from. I gave up trying to educate them

They just stay off of Dad's computer! ;)

registerthis
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't know what the record is on one PC, but if anyone has ever made the mistake of installing kazaa on their PC, I'm sure they've lived to regret it. That program is so littered with spyware it's amazing it functions at all. I had it on my PC about 3 years ago, and I just wasn't able to get rid of it all...i ended up having to back up all of my files and dump the entire hard drive.

By God, if I'm going to steal copyrighted music, I want to do it free of spyware! :evil:

pahster
08-29-2005, 05:16 PM
That's why you had to use Kazaa lite. :p:

registerthis
08-29-2005, 05:35 PM
That's why you had to use Kazaa lite. :p:Yeah I figured that out pretty quick. God bless that random Russian programmer, whoever he is. :D

Spring~Fields
08-30-2005, 11:49 AM
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Scan and clean spyware from your PC, including trojans

GAC
08-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Where have you been Ken? I was beginning to think you got gobbled up by a trojan! ;)

Chip R
08-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Where have you been Ken? I was beginning to think you got gobbled up by a trojan! ;)
One of these? :eek:

http://www.undercovercondoms.com/condomphotos/trojan-sharedpleasure-warm-lube1.jpg

Spring~Fields
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM

Clinging to life via oxygen tanks, oxygen concentrators, and nebulizor treatments and CPAP,...............Still smoke? You won't like where they eventually take you.

I see Chip is still smoking. :eek: thus the trojans. :mooner:

GAC
09-02-2005, 07:11 AM
What's going on Ken? If you have to - email me or give me a call buddy!