PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Release Warrick

traderumor
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=3115

PDub gone and best wishes. Also, Kim Herring is likely out for the season with a shoulder injury, so anyone who can play safety, apply at PBS.

Chip R
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Can't say I'm surprised the Bengals cut Warrick. He really can't stay healthy.

traderumor
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Same here, Chip. It is a position they have so much depth, and cheap depth. I think Chris Henry and Kelly Washington both made the decision easy from a personnel basis. I think the personal basis was the only tough part because PDub has always been a solid citizen for the Bengals.

registerthis
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
So, does that mean that T.J. moves up the depth chart?

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Ifeanyi Ohalete is a safety released by the Cardinals this week that may be signed to take Herring's spot.

traderumor
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
So, does that mean that T.J. moves up the depth chart??? Housh was #2 coming in behind Chad, so there's nowhere for him to go. I think it means you are going to see a lot of Washington and Henry, with a little Walter thrown in for possession type situations. It's too bad, because Dub brought another dimension to the offense with his YAC ability.

Jaycint
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Wonder if the Warrick releasing frees up enough money to get Corey Simon in the fold?

CrackerJack
08-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Warrick was one of my favorite Bengals ever since he's been here, and one of my all-time favorite college players.

Sad day for me as a Bengals' fan. Especially after watching our multi-millionaire WR's drop pass after pass the last 3 weeks.

Only thing I can hope for is that they are able to re-sign him at a lower salary somehow...but that's doubtful considering the roster depth at that position. The Bengals could still use him as when healthy he's still better than 3/4's of what's on the roster currently, including TJ.

registerthis
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
?? Housh was #2 coming in behind Chad, so there's nowhere for him to go. I think it means you are going to see a lot of Washington and Henry, with a little Walter thrown in for possession type situations. It's too bad, because Dub brought another dimension to the offense with his YAC ability.He was always exciting on punt returns...he brought an element that T.J. and CJ simply don't have, even though C.J. was by far the better receiver.

I hadn't realized that T.J. was up to #2, I guess I'm just not paying as much attention now.

macro
08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Wonder if the Warrick releasing frees up enough money to get Corey Simon in the fold?

One of the ESPN talking heads mentioned the Bengals as a possible suitor for Simon. It would be nice if they could get him. He's not really a superstar, but he's solid.

traderumor
08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Warrick was one of my favorite Bengals ever since he's been here, and one of my all-time favorite college players.

Sad day for me as a Bengals' fan. Especially after watching our multi-millionaire WR's drop pass after pass the last 3 weeks.

Only thing I can hope for is that they are able to re-sign him at a lower salary somehow...but that's doubtful considering the roster depth at that position. The Bengals could still use him as when healthy he's still better than 3/4's of what's on the roster currently, including TJ.

CrackerJack,

I think its simply that he's not healthy. The 2003 PDub was such a joy to watch, I wish his legs could have held up for him.

As far as the drops, my opinion is that the offense has gotten bit by the lack of competition for jobs and simply not been as focused as they need to be as a result. Say what you will about the character of the guys if true, but I think the poor play will disappear Sept 11 in Browns Stadium.

Jaycint
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
One of the ESPN talking heads mentioned the Bengals as a possible suitor for Simon. It would be nice if they could get him. He's not really a superstar, but he's solid.

Yeah I believe that was Mortenson. I think Simon would really shore up the D - Line and provide great pressure on the qb.

WMR
08-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Corey Simon is a superstar in the making. The dude is EXTREMELY GOOD.

Hoosier Red
08-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Probably would have happened anyway, but Warrick pretty much forced their hand by asking to be cut now and not later.

KronoRed
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
I might cheer for the bengals now that the nole is gone.

Wait..nope..they are still the bengals ;)

Big Donkey
08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Ifeanyi Ohalete is a safety released by the Cardinals this week that may be signed to take Herring's spot.

Yup, he was signed today. Ohalete is now a Bengal. They also signed Hannibal Navies, LB that was released yesterday. CB Terrell Roberts and OG Kyle Takavitz were also cut today by the Bengals. And Herring is officially on IR now, too.

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Signing those 2 players makes it unlikely they can go after Simon. There just won't be enough money left under the salary cap.

Johnny Footstool
08-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Peerless Price was also cut today.

ATTN: KC Chiefs! Two quality wideouts are available! Quit messing around with Freddie Mitchell and get on the phone!

CTA513
08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Even though it kind of stinks to see him get cut from the team, the Bengals have pretty good depth at wide reciever to replace him.... Im just happy to see that they did what Warrick asked and thats release him today and not on friday. That way he has a little more time to try and get with another team.

SunDeck
08-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Probably would have happened anyway, but Warrick pretty much forced their hand by asking to be cut now and not later.

Yeah, but I think he knew he was gone. It's a classy move by Lewis to abide his wishes and let him go now. Maybe he ends up somewhere else this way. As for the drop after drop comment, that's always been Pdub's problem. He's great after the catch but I never thought his hands were particularly good.

redsfan30
08-30-2005, 05:32 PM

ATTN: KC Chiefs! Two quality wideouts are available! Quit messing around with Freddie Mitchell and get on the phone!
Also, attention Phily: Let TO get rot on the un-employment line.

Chip R
08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
I guess that means he's no longer peerless. ;)

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Oh what a glorious day that was for P-Dub back in 2003, when he single-handidly put an end to the Chefs misleading 9-0 record with 2 TDs, including an electrifying punt return.

Good luck to Peter Warrick and hopefully he doesn't come back to haunt the Bengals.

Sea Ray
08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
?? Housh was #2 coming in behind Chad, so there's nowhere for him to go. I think it means you are going to see a lot of Washington and Henry, with a little Walter thrown in for possession type situations. It's too bad, because Dub brought another dimension to the offense with his YAC ability.

I don't think you can assume Kelley washington has the team made. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tab Perry make it due to his kick returning abilities.

Boss-Hog
08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't think you can assume Kelley washington has the team made. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tab Perry make it due to his kick returning abilities. With the release of Warrick, I imagine they'll both make it.

Big Donkey
08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
They're gonna have six receivers, and that should include Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Chris Henry, Kelley Washington, and Kevin Walter as five locks. The sixth spot I would guess is up for grabs between Tab Perry, Cliff Russell and Jamall Broussard, who all bring something to the table when it comes to special teams, particularly on returns. I heard something several weeks ago that there was interest in moving T. Perry to TE because they thought he had the body type for it, and they could then keep an extra receiver (in this case, likely either Russell or Broussard). I don't know if there's anything to the Tab-to-TE talk, seeing as how someone who returns kicks usually doesn't profile as a TE. But who knows?

Johnny Footstool
08-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Oh what a glorious day that was for P-Dub back in 2003, when he single-handidly put an end to the Chefs misleading 9-0 record with 2 TDs, including an electrifying punt return.

I'm a Bengals fan first, Chiefs fan second. I watched that game with my friends, and I was the butt of countless Bengals jokes.

I fell out of my chair laughing when Warrick returned that kick.

Steve4192
08-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Dub brought another dimension to the offense with his YAC ability.
He used to.

Almost all of P-Dub's value as a player was in his sick lateral agility and change of direction ability. Outside of those two outstanding attributes, he was a short, slow possession receiver with mediocre hands. IMO, P-Dub's injuries have robbed him of much of that crazy agility and COD ability. We really haven't seen P-Dub exhibit those skills since week 14 of the 2003 season. Without those skills, he really is no better than a 4th or 5th receiver.

I wish him well, but I think he is D-O-N-E.

Jaycint
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Well P-Dub signed a 1yr 1.4 million dollar deal with the Seahawks ESPN just reported. Best of luck to him, I hope he can recapture some of the magic he had in his college days and occassionally flashed as a Bengal. If nothing else Peter gave all of us Bengals fans that magical day against the Chiefs in 2003, I'll always remember him fondly for that.