PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Skyrocket

WVRed
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Figured I would give this its own thread, but gas here in Vienna is up to 3+ a gallon. Some places havent raised, and people are backed up. Thank God I got mine at Speedway last night before the prices raised.

RedFanAlways1966
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
I wonder...

What percentage increase in gasoline prices were seen in 1969 after Hurricane Camille?

Sure perhaps demand in its relevance to supply is different today. But still...

And why are gasoline prices in WV over $3.00/galllon today while here in the Dayton, OH area they are at $2.59/gallon (unchanged from yesterday)?

Just makes me wonder. Hate to see fuel companies look like those looters that have been seen after this storm. To profit (or make a greater profit) from a tragedy is about as low as you can go in my book.

Unassisted
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Posted this in the hurricane thread, but it's more relevant here. A gas station owner here said in a radio interview this morning that he would be raising the price to $3.25/gallon today to match the wholesale price increase he is seeing.

Reds Fanatic
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
In the Dayton area pretty much every station is now $3.09 for regular unleaded.

RedFanAlways1966
08-31-2005, 01:02 PM
In the Dayton area pretty much every station is now $3.09 for regular unleaded.

Holy... good thing I filled up this morning at $2.59/gallon! :)

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2005, 01:03 PM
This is unbelievable...

I've long since passed the point of caring WHY gsa is so expensive and moved into exasperation that the might and power of the United States cannot do SOMETHING to make this situation better.

Republicans and democrats alike should be outraged with the indifference their government has shown to the plight of average people who depend on their cars for their livelihoods.

WVRed
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes

Experts: $4 a gallon gas coming soon
Pricing analysts say consumers can expect even higher prices at the pump.
August 31, 2005: 12:46 PM EDT
By Grace Wong, CNN/Money staff writer

Special Report full coverage

Oil retreats under $70

$4 gasoline coming

White House to tap reserves

Gas gripes: readers speak up

Save on Gas with Poptechnology
Valid only in KY, IN, IL, MI, MN and OH. With the new gas discount card, you can...
www.poptechnology.net

Drastically Lower Your Gas Prices
Drastically lower your cost for gasoline and make a fortune helping others do...
www.homebasedbusinessreviews.com

Energy Futures Traders
Up to 80% accurate forecasts for Unleaded and Natural Gas, NY Light and Crude...
www.tradertech.com

QUICK VOTE
Will the release of oil from the nations's strategic reserve affect gasoline prices?
Push them lower
Higher regardless
Too early to say

View results

Video More video

With gas prices climbing, CNN/Money's Allen Wastler shows you how to stretch your dollars at the pump. (August 31)
Play video

Video More video

Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman says the U.S. will release oil from the nation's Strategic Petroleum Reserve to help refiners hurt by Katrina. (August 31)
Play video

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon soon but whether they stay there depends on the long-term damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts said Wednesday.

"There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"

OPIS tracks wholesale and retail oil prices and provides pricing information for AAA's daily reports on fuel prices.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it "doesn't take a genius" to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

"Consumers haven't seen the worst of it yet," Brockwell said.

He expects consumers in the Southeast and Northeast to be pinched first, following the impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast region.

Katrina pressures gas supplies
Katrina forced operators to close more than a tenth of the country's refining capacity and a quarter of its oil production, which sent gasoline prices surging.

Two major pipelines that supply gasoline to key terminals and distribution centers along the Eastern U.S. were shut down due to power outages caused by the storm. (Video of Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman discussing U.S. plans to tap strategic oil reserve to help refiners -- 4:16. Click here to watch).

Colonial Pipeline said it hopes to be back in partial operation soon, while the date of Plantation Pipeline's restart is not clear. Each day the pipelines are closed, supplies get backlogged and distribution centers must rely on reserves.

"With this kind of hiccup in refinery capacity, in stretched markets like California, you could see over $4 a gallon in gas," Evan Smith, an analyst at U.S. Global Investors, told CNN/Money.

While it's still too early to fully assess the damage caused by Katrina, efforts to build up inventories of crude oil, natural gas and other products like gasoline will be set back by the storm, according to Nariman Behravesh, chief economist at Global Insight.

In a research note, Behravesh laid out a worst-case scenario that puts average prices for regular unleaded gasoline at about $3.50 a gallon for the next four to six months.

"The impact on consumer spending in such a scenario would be very dramatic, cutting the growth rate by as much as 3 percent and pushing real GDP growth in the fourth quarter closer to zero," he wrote.

In a best-case scenario, he forecast retail pump prices to peak at $3 a gallon for a couple of months, but then fall back to around $2.50 by year-end.

The nationwide average price for a gallon of regular unleaded hit a fresh high of $2.619 Wednesday, according to AAA, the largest U.S. motorist organization, formerly known as the American Automobile Association.

Average gasoline prices have gained 40 percent in the last year.

Prices for crude oil are also up sharply and are currently hovering near record highs just under $70 a barrel.

Caseyfan21
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
this site is usually worthwhile for finding cheaper prices in the Dayton area:

www.daytongasprices.com

It's reliant upon consumers posting prices they see, but I use it all the time to try and find the cheapest station near where I work or live. Today, though, this site has been up and down, probably because prices skyrocketing. Today is the first time I've ever had any trouble accessing the site though.

WVRed
08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
this site is usually worthwhile for finding cheaper prices in the Dayton area:

www.daytongasprices.com

It's reliant upon consumers posting prices they see, but I use it all the time to try and find the cheapest station near where I work or live. Today, though, this site has been up and down, probably because prices skyrocketing. Today is the first time I've ever had any trouble accessing the site though.

You can use that website for anywhere, just type in the location. I use it all the time.

TeamCasey
08-31-2005, 01:22 PM

:( I didn't and I knew I should've.

redsfan30
08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
A good friend of mine runs a station here in town and he said don't even worry about $3.00. $4.00 and $5.00 is what you need to be worried about.....soon.

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
So, did anyone else watch the FX mini-series "Oil Storm" this summer...?

This is almost creepy. :eek:

Heath
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
So, did anyone else watch the FX mini-series "Oil Storm" this summer...?

This is almost creepy. :eek:

I love Hollywood. Not.

Hey, here's a simple thing. Don't buy gas. Carpool. Watch your driving habits.

Will prices go up, probably - someone (media related) would cause a crisis.

WVRed
08-31-2005, 02:21 PM

I got mine at 2.59/gallon here as well, same station went up to 3.09 today.

savafan
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4be.htm

President Bush is considering an address to the nation asking citizens to conserve energy, a top White House source says.

Bush ordered the release of oil from federal petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Bush returned to Washington on Wednesday to oversee the federal response to the historic disaster. He plans to coordinate federal efforts, across more than a dozen agencies, to assist hurricane victims.

"Still undecided is whether or not to call for a nationwide effort to reduce energy consumption during this emergency," a top Bush source explains. "It is seriously being considered."

A second White House source says there are no plans for the president to address the country on gas.

Developing...

LvJ
08-31-2005, 03:04 PM
$3.09 in Winchester. :runaway:

SunDeck
08-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Even at $3.50 a gallon, which is projected to be the price on a temporary basis, we are just now eclipsing the highest prices for gas (in real dollars) that we were paying in the early 80's.

The average price per gallon in the US as a percentage of income will still be relatively low, especially compared to other countries.

That is not to say it isn't shocking to see the price climb over $3.00 a gallon, but the prices will come back down after this mess gets cleared up and we will be back to relatively cheap gas.

I'm curious- has anyone changed their driving habits yet? I have only driven to work once this week and I plan to bike whenever it's feasible. After all, I may think gas is cheap relative to gas in Europe, but that doesn't mean I want to pay more.

Reds4Life
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Even at $3.50 a gallon, which is projected to be the price on a temporary basis, we are just now eclipsing the highest prices for gas (in real dollars) that we were paying in the early 80's.

The average price per gallon in the US as a percentage of income will still be relatively low, especially compared to other countries.

That is not to say it isn't shocking to see the price climb over $3.00 a gallon, but the prices will come back down after this mess gets cleared up and we will be back to relatively cheap gas.

I'm curious- has anyone changed their driving habits yet? I have only driven to work once this week and I plan to bike whenever it's feasible. After all, I may think gas is cheap relative to gas in Europe, but that doesn't mean I want to pay more.

It's going to take a long time to get those rigs and ports back online, could be well into 2006. Most analysts don't believe our current economic conditions can sustain $3+ gallon gas (some are predicting $4/gallon by next week) over a long period of time and it could drop us back into a recession for the 4th quarter.

RedsFan75
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I filled up on Monday evening at 2.39 in London KY. Today it's 3.09.

RBA
08-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Republicans starting to wake up?

http://wwwi.reuters.com/comX/images/printerFriendlyIcon.gif Print this article (javascript:window.print())Close This Window (javascript:window.close())Senior Republican warns of gasoline price-gouging
Wed Aug 31, 2005 03:37 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Incidents of retail gasoline

price-gouging caused by Hurricane Katrina are occurring

throughout the United States and should be prosecuted, the

Republican head of the House Energy and Commerce Committee said

on Wednesday.

Wholesale gasoline futures traded on the New York Mercantile

Exchange rose sharply on Wednesday to a record high of $2.92 a

gallon on growing concerns about the U.S. supply.

The killer storm that hit Louisiana on Monday shut nine Gulf

Coast refineries with combined capacity of nearly 2 million

barrels per day (bpd). Four other refineries were crippled and

running at reduced rates.

"I think a very good case can be made today that some

retailers have taken advantage and begun to gouge" consumers,

Texas Rep. Joe Barton told reporters at a news conference.

If price gouging is occurring, "that is going to have to be

investigated" and prosecuted by the federal government, he

said.

For example, retail gasoline prices jumped $1 a gallon in a

single day in Michigan, an increase roughly equivalent to a $24

a barrel increase in crude oil, he said.

In his own district in Texas, Barton said he purchased

gasoline at $2.41 a gallon at a station that raised the price to

$2.68 a gallon later on the same day.

However, Barton said he saw no need for federal price

controls on gasoline or oil. U.S. oil demand was not changed by

Hurricane Katrina, he said, although supply is temporarily

affected.

"I'm against it, we're a free market economy," Barton said,

referring to any government-imposed freeze on prices.

The U.S. Energy Department has encouraged motorists to

contact a hotline to report any alleged price-gouging.

Barton said his committee will hold a hearing Tuesday on the

impact of Hurricane Katrina on U.S. energy prices.

He also noted that between 40 and 45 percent of U.S.

refinery capacity is in the Gulf Coast area affected by

Katrina's powerful winds and flooding.

Industry analysts have long worried about how U.S. refining

capacity has not kept pace with growing U.S. gasoline demand.

Barton said he asked President George W. Bush to look into

ways to build new refineries farther inland to avoid a repeat of

Hurricane Katrina's impact. "It would be nice if we could

diversify our refinery base in some non-coastal states," he

said.

Earlier this year, Bush suggested that some abandoned U.S.

military bases could be used as sites to build new refineries but no energy companies indicated an interest in pursuing such an option.

GIK
08-31-2005, 04:51 PM
$3.19 per gallon for 87 here in SE Michigan (even more in surrounding areas).

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Bush is awesome.

08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I went into Kroger about 11:15 this AM. Gas was 2.55/2.65/2.75. When I walked out 15 minutes later it was 3.19/3.29/3.39. I guess I shouldn't have gone in-it's all my fault. :(

Reds4Life
Bush is awesome.

Yes, it's Bush's fault Hurricane Katrina destroyed a major oil port and a bunch of oil rigs. :rolleyes:

This is not the place to start yet another political meltdown; otherwise those posts are getting deleted.

RedFanAlways1966
Bush is awesome.

Yep. I guess if he had drilled for oil up north in our one of own 50 states, we may not have this dilemna. I wonder who has opposed killing all that ice plankton up there? Those types are more awesome!

Yep. I am sure some extremists will blame him for Hurricane Katrina. Some might even make a movie about it. Many will see that movie and believe every word.

PRESIDENT Bush... by the way.

RBA
08-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Should we return back to the 2000 campaign and Bush's pledge what he would do about gas at $1.50 a gallon?

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes, it's Bush's fault Hurricane Katrina destroyed a major oil port and a bunch of oil rigs. :rolleyes:

This is not the place to start yet another political meltdown; otherwise those posts are getting deleted.

Yep. That's just what I said: "Bush caused the hurricane." :rolleyes:

Here's the thing: gas prices were already through the roof; because they've climbed higher than the pin oaks out back because of a hurricane is just another sign that Bush lacks preparedness.

My initial comment in this thread, in case anyone actually bothered to care, is in reference to Bush's asking people to "conserve" energy (a post made earlier in the thread). Bush asking people to conserve energy...that's a laugh.

CTA513
08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Expect more people to start stealing gas... either from the gas station or someone elses car.

Reds4Life
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
The spike of gas today has NOTHING to do with the President; it's thanks to a perfect storm situation in a region that serves at the major import station for this country. Oil will be released from the strategic reserves to help reduce shortages. I know you'll try your hardest to somehow blame this on the President, but it ain't his fault.

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 05:13 PM
The spike of gas today has NOTHING to do with the President; it's thanks to a perfect storm situation in a region that serves at the major import station for this country. Oil will be released from the strategic reserves to help reduce shortages. I know you'll try your hardest to somehow blame this on the President, but it ain't his fault.

Whatever dude. You're trying to bait me. I'm not playing your game. Read my post above. I was making a comment on the idea that Bush wants Americans to conserve energy after having the most laissez-faire attitude towards fuel expenditure and consumption in this country's history. I'm done with your game.

RBA
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM

What exacty has the President done to protect the major import station in this country? Clue: There's a thread on it in this forum.

Reds4Life
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
What exacty has the President done to protect the major import station in this country? Clue: There's a thread on it in this forum.

What did Bill Clinton do?

Seriously, this isn't a political debate, and trying to make it one is pathetic.

RBA
08-31-2005, 05:18 PM

Seriously, this isn't a political debate, and trying to make it one is pathetic.

I must of missed it when he cut New Orleans budget for Hurricane planning and protection.

M2
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM

Gas prices became a politcal volleyball in the late '70s. As a general rule, politicians get to claim the good and the bad that happens on their watch. Bush has got runaway gas prices on his watch, so that's a demerit on his permanent record. The higher they go, the bigger the demerit.

Jimmy Carter got shagged by gas prices too. It wasn't his fault per se (though OPEC made us pay dearly for the Camp David Accords), but it was his cross to bear.

Heath
08-31-2005, 05:33 PM
I must of missed it when he cut New Orleans budget for Hurricane planning and protection.

And if John Kerry/ Al Gore did the same thing, Republican Hawks would probably point the fingers as well.

Political parties aside, it simply too easy to point fingers at the top. I would hope instead of bellyaching folks can find solutions instead of screaming about the problems.

If you have a solution, call your congressman. Organize grass-roots movements. Donate time and money to organizations that you share beliefs.

Its too easy to complain on an internet forum.

This topic is going nowhere fast. (kinda like the labor day traffic this weekend)

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
And if John Kerry/ Al Gore did the same thing, Republican Hawks would probably point the fingers as well.

Political parties aside, it simply too easy to point fingers at the top. I would hope instead of bellyaching folks can find solutions instead of screaming about the problems.

If you have a solution, call your congressman. Organize grass-roots movements. Donate time and money to organizations that you share beliefs.

Its too easy to complain on an internet forum.

This topic is going nowhere fast. (kinda like the labor day traffic this weekend)

Great. I do donate time and money. To various causes. Can I also have a political opinion? Should I keep my hands folded on my desk and sit quietly? Trust me I write Congresspeople. Can I not point out the fact that this president has done nothing in the face of oil prices except not pressure any oil companies to build new refineries?

Or should I wait on you to tell me when I can and can't have opinions?

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
CNN just showed footage of gas stations with huge lines in the Atlanta area, saying the prices were being reported at well over $4.00 per gallon in some Atlanta area stations.

Shortage fears are running rampant.

CTA513
08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
CNN just showed footage of gas stations with huge lines in the Atlanta area, saying the prices were being reported at well over $4.00 per gallon in some Atlanta area stations.

Shortage fears are running rampant.

Then theres going to be panicking and then violence.

paintmered
08-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Is everybody finished flinging their political dung? Because for once, I'd really like to see you all stop this crap.

It's silly, it's childish and all of you are capable of better.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes yes, we all know that if John Kerry were in the White House and Democrats had control in Washington, gas would be about $0.79/gallon right now and Hurricane Katrina would have shifted harmlessly into the Atlantic a week ago.

It's absolutely amazing. Leave it to the resident lefties on this board to turn absolutely EVERYTHING into a Bush-bashing session. Everyone is frustrated by gas prices. Everyone is mourning the loss of thousands of Americans. Everyone is worried about what will be behind rebuilding one of America's most important cities. Let's give the politics a rest already!

Reds4Life - Don't even bother trying to refute some of those outlandish claims. There are 2 or 3 people on here that have such seething HATRED toward Republicans and the president that they can brush off this country's worst natural disaster in history in favor of more partisan bashing. We've heard it for too long and anything (really anything) is another excuse for them to spew their venom. Honestly, I don't think Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein hates Bush as much as certain posters on here.

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Yes yes, we all know that if John Kerry were in the White House and Democrats had control in Washington, gas would be about $0.79/gallon right now and Hurricane Katrina would have shifted harmlessly into the Atlantic a week ago.

It's absolutely amazing. Leave it to the resident lefties on this board to turn absolutely EVERYTHING into a Bush-bashing session. Everyone is frustrated by gas prices. Everyone is mourning the loss of thousands of Americans. Everyone is worried about what will be behind rebuilding one of America's most important cities. Let's give the politics a rest already!

Reds4Life - Don't even bother trying to refute some of those outlandish claims. There are 2 or 3 people on here that have such seething HATRED toward Republicans and the president that they can brush off this country's worst natural disaster in history in favor of more partisan bashing. We've heard it for too long and anything (really anything) is another excuse for them to spew their venom. Honestly, I don't think Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein hates Bush as much as certain posters on here.

How's the high horse treatin' ya?

M2
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Wait until the winter when home heating oil prices shoot through the roof. My neck of the country tends to go ballistic over that one.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
How's the high horse treatin' ya?

Pot to kettle: You're black

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Wait until the winter when home heating oil prices shoot through the roof. My neck of the country tends to go ballistic over that one.

No kidding. But I want you to keep quiet about it. Because fuel prices have nothing to do with political policy.

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Pot to kettle: You're black

Wait. You can't call me out. You're above it all.

Reds4Life
08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Thread over.