PDA

View Full Version : RZ Fund for one of our own

TeamCasey
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
A couple folks have PMed me recently wondering what they could do for SandyD who's been effected greatly by Katrina.

I'd gladly collect any donations and forward them to her.

She'll tell you she's doing O.K. and she safely evacuated. Her months ahead will be difficult and full of questions. I wish there were more I can do for her.

A few bucks should help her and her family with the everyday essentials like gas, clothes, food, etc.

If you're interested, PM me. I'll send you my address. I'll make sure everything gets to her.

Sandy - please don't poo poo me on this. It isn't up to you. :) This is something we would like to do.

RFS62
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
I talked to Sandy the past two nights. I already respected her big time for her baseball knowledge and intelligence. But listening to her talk about what's going on back in New Orleans has increased that respect exponentially. Not a single word of complaint about herself or what's happened to her. Not one whimper. She left her car in a parking garage, and wouldn't even fill up the tank because she thought it would take away from someone needing gas to evacuate. Now she may not have enough gas to make it out herself when she can get back, that is if her car isn't destroyed by now.

She was worried about the people and the city, not one word about herself, and she's probably lost everything she owns. Not one word of complaint.

The world needs more people like Sandy. You're damn right I want to help her.

TeamCasey
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for stickying this. :)

My PM box may be full by morning. I'll try to keep it cleaned out.

You guys rock!

TeamMorris
08-31-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm in :thumbup:

For all of you that have met her...you know what a special person she is :)

jmcclain19
08-31-2005, 05:36 PM
TC - would you guys be willing to do Pay Pal?

I know that others may have the same question

letsgojunior
08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
TC - would you guys be willing to do Pay Pal?

I know that others may have the same question

As I mentioned to TC, PayPal would be more convenient for me, but I'll also be happy to send a check.

LvJ
08-31-2005, 07:00 PM
I can do paypal right now, however - a check will have to wait til next week.

BoydsOfSummer
08-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Plus,if there was a Paypal account that Sandy had access to she would receive any funds quicker.

RBA
08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Please post a paypal address. I'm ready to help.

TeamCasey
08-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Paypalers!

I've recruited a helper for this. For those of you who would rather go the paypal route, please PM TeamMorris. She's one of my roommates and much more Paypal savvy. She said she'd be happy to do that, and even suggested it before I started getting responses.

PayPal - PM TeamMorris

Cash or check - PM me.

It would be great if you would include your Redszone names either way. I'll put a nice card together. (For you shy ones, anonymous is cool too. :) )

WVRedsFan
08-31-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm in. I'll PM TeamMorris right now.

Thanks for bring this up TC

RBA
08-31-2005, 09:09 PM
How about everyone changes their signatures to like the one I got? I went overboard on the font, but I don't care.

TeamMorris
08-31-2005, 09:14 PM
How about everyone changes their signatures to like the one I got? I went overboard on the font, but I don't care.

Good idea RBA! Never had a signature because I couldn't think of a good one. That is a good one :thumbup:

UKFlounder
08-31-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm in :thumbup:

For all of you that have met her...you know what a special person she is :)

I'll try my sig

Unassisted
08-31-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm in, too. Thanks for coordinating, Teamsters. :thumbup:

TeamMorris
09-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Is it possible to get this on the baseball side also :confused: I know it's not baseball related but many on the baseball side don't check non-baseball threads. If not I think we should go over there and post the link to this thread in every thread going :D

WVRedsFan
09-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Is it possible to get this on the baseball side also :confused: I know it's not baseball related but many on the baseball side don't check non-baseball threads. If not I think we should go over there and post the link to this thread in every thread going :D

I think that's a good idea. I can't imagine what SandyD is going through right now.

jmcclain19
09-01-2005, 01:08 AM
BTW - all your guy's sigs, with the exception of RBA - doesn't work

KronoRed
09-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Yep, it cut out the middle

TeamCasey
09-01-2005, 06:12 AM

I made a thread yesterday on Reds Live that directs folks to this one. All the ORG members read either there or here. I don't think we need one on all three.

TeamMorris
09-01-2005, 08:54 AM
BTW - all your guy's sigs, with the exception of RBA - doesn't work

Hummm...wonder why :confused:

We are doing pretty good on my end guys!! Keep em coming :beerme:

Boss-Hog
09-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I'll fix the signatures that don't work. The problem is that you can't drag and copy and paste the URL because it's truncated to save space (see the ... in the URL). You have to right click and select 'copy shortcut' and then paste the URL.

TeamCasey
09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
This will work well. I won't wait for mail contributions to come in. I'll send her funds from Paypal first and another check later.

TeamMorris
09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I'll fix the signatures that don't work. The problem is that you can't drag and copy and paste the URL because it's truncated to save space (see the ... in the URL). You have to right click and select 'copy shortcut' and then paste the URL.

Ah...Ok.

Thank you Boss :thumbup:

Reds Nd2
09-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I realize cash is always handy, but does anyone know if SandyD needs anything else? Of course, untill she gets back home she won't have any idea of just how bad things are, but I was thinking more of the short term needs.

Chip R
09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
I have a Sandy update.

She has moved to a different hotel in Arlington. She is doing OK as far as money is concerned since she's getting paid. Her family in Mississippi that they hadn't heard from has been in touch and is OK but their house is gone. Her brother is bringing her a dsektop computer tomorrow so she will have access tomorrow night. You cannot call her cell but you can text message here or she can call you on her cell. I have her address and phone number at the hotel. If anyone is interested, PM or e-mail me. Her company is looking for a temporary HQ somewhere closer to NO, possibly Baton Rouge. They will be there for a while. Her father wants to go back to Kenner to check on the house. She's a brave soldier and is in good spirits most of the time. I'm going to send her a little care package tomorrow. A few Reds articles, a book and a couple of magazines. I can't send her too much stuff cause she'll have to haul it to wherever they go next.

UKFlounder
09-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the update Chip

cincinnati chili
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I have a Sandy update.

She has moved to a different hotel in Arlington. She is doing OK as far as money is concerned since she's getting paid. Her family in Mississippi that they hadn't heard from has been in touch and is OK but their house is gone. Her brother is bringing her a dsektop computer tomorrow so she will have access tomorrow night. You cannot call her cell but you can text message here or she can call you on her cell. I have her address and phone number at the hotel. If anyone is interested, PM or e-mail me. Her company is looking for a temporary HQ somewhere closer to NO, possibly Baton Rouge. They will be there for a while. Her father wants to go back to Kenner to check on the house. She's a brave soldier and is in good spirits most of the time. I'm going to send her a little care package tomorrow. A few Reds articles, a book and a couple of magazines. I can't send her too much stuff cause she'll have to haul it to wherever they go next.

Chip, forgive me for not reading the whole Hurricane thread (perhaps it's in there), but is there any update on Alfred?

SandyD
09-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Alfred update:
He's still in Pensacola. I'm hoping he'll be here by the end of the weekend, but I'm not sure now. He located his father in a Baton Rouge nursing home. Such a relief.

I heard tonight that Aaron Broussard may let everyone back into Jefferson Parish by Thursday. I found my house on the NOAA geosurvey, and from that view, it appears to be fine. Can't tell if there was water in the house, or how high, if so. BUT, there'sa wooden trellis arch in the back yard that's still there.

Some downed trees and roof damage in my neighborhood, but no severe structural damage from the satelite view.

The people who work at the facility we are using brought clothing and supplies and personal items, and I'm reluctant to take them. I might pick up a bottle of shampoo and a some soap if it's still there tomorrow, because I forgot to pick some up when I went to the grocery the other day so I just have the stuff the hotel provides.

The facility also brought in a counselor today to give us someone to talk to. I'm not sure he had many visitors, but it was very nice of them.

I very much appreciate the thought. It means a lot. But the money raised should really be used to help those who really it. I consider myself very lucky, and I'm much better off than so many others.

My basic physical needs are well taken care of. It's been an emotional roller coaster, but I think things are going to level out now. The only thing I need right now is stability. I want two days roughly the same and with no bad news, and I need a day off. I'll get the day off Sunday.

GAC
09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Sandy - glad to hear from you and that you and Alfred are OK. Thanks for the update. You guys are in our prayers.

You're such a sweetie and overall nice and generous person. And after reading the above post by you - that only confirms that belief. In fact - you should be nominated for sainthood for placing the concerns of others above yours after all you've been through, and the uncertainty you face back home.

Let us here on RZ, your FRIENDS, be your counselors whenever you need someone to talk to. Yes - the emotional aspect is far worse then the material/monetary aspect. PM me, or give me a call anytime you feel you need someone to talk to.

And if/when you or Alfred do have a need, please do not be hesitant to ask on here.

People want to help! And when it's going to help someone whom they directly know, then all the better.

God Bless you both.

Greg

SandyD
09-03-2005, 07:33 AM
I sincerely thank everyone. Your offers are too kind. The people of this area have opened their doors to us. The state has opened the doors of it's schools to our children. Without all the usual paperwork, evacuees can enroll their children in school provisionally. I have coworkers who have done that, and their children who have not attended class yet were given all their school supplies and clothing, plus six flags tickets and such.

People have been great.

This week has been something else. Can't think clearly now, and I have to get ready for work. But I'll be back on later.

cincinnati chili
09-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Great to hear from you Sandy. Thanks for the updates on you and Alfred.

SandyD
09-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Great to hear from you Sandy. Thanks for the updates on you and Alfred.

Great to hear from you too.

Have a killer year 2! (Shouldn't you be studying?) ;)

TeamCasey
09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm so happy that Alfred found his Dad and you found your sister-in-law and niece and nephew. It has to be such a relief to make the connections.

cincinnati chili
09-03-2005, 09:57 AM
(Shouldn't you be studying?) ;)

Yes.

I feel guilty that while people are hard at work trying to put the Gulf Coast back together, I can't motivate myself this morning to schlep my laptop and books onto the subway and head to the library.

TeamBoone
09-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Sandy. Please don't feel guilty if you find that you need less than others... if you find that to be true after you're able to return to your home, then you are truly fortunate. You won't know for sure until you return. Even though outwardly, it may look relatively benign, water damage may have wreaked it's damage.

And, if you find you don't need part or any of the RZ donation, who better than you to put that money to work to help your friends and neighbors... sort of an immediate partial remedy, rather than them having to wait for help with food and water from a relief agency.

So glad you, Alfred, and both your families are safe. It's a great relief.

PS - do you have any idea when you'll be able to return?

TeamCasey
09-03-2005, 11:46 AM
And, if you find you don't need part or any of the RZ donation, who better than you to put that money to work to help your friends and neighbors...

Yep! Use it anyway you choose.

KronoRed
09-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Good to hear from you Sandy..glad to hear about Alfred's dad.

RBA
09-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I just like to reach out to Redszoners and do what you can. I trust Sandy to do what's best with any funds she gets from us. If she feels she doesn't need it, she is in a better position than I am to know where it is really needed for the relief efforts. I don't care if she's using the money to buy a steak dinner and a cold one, after what's she's been through, see deserves it.

TeamCasey
09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Deadline for Paypal is this Friday, Sept. 9.

Thanks again, everyone.

TeamMorris
09-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey all! Just wanted to call last call on anyone who wanted to donate to our redszone "Sandy" fund :)

I know we said the 9th was our last day to collect but I had a few more people pm and email me along with many who asked for the info at the start and have not been able to donate yet ask if I could possibly wait until Sunday. More than happy to do so!

We would really like to get a check out to Sandy tomorrow or Tuesday morning at the latest. If you can't donate within our time frame but really wanted to, don't worry! We can always send out another check or two. Or donate to your local church or Red Cross when you have it...I'm sure Sandy would be more than happy with that also!

A huge Thank you to everyone :clap: !!

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone. You're all wonderful.

Sandy, check your PMs, please.

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Roy Tucker .... clean out your PMs.

Roy Tucker
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Roy Tucker .... clean out your PMs.
yes ma'am.

TeamCasey
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Good Evening Zoners,

Some folks have been PMing anxiously. :) TeamMorris and I tallied Paypal and Snail mail donations for a grand total of $730. A money order is on it's way to SandyD as I type. I'll make sure she gets any straggling snail mails.

I wasn't sure whether to post the tally or PM those who pitched in. I want to personally thank everyone who donated. I also want to thank many of you who shared some kind words along the way.

Sandy, use it however you wish. We love ya, kid! :)

Boss-Hog
09-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Good Evening Zoners,

Some folks have been PMing anxiously. :) TeamMorris and I tallied Paypal and Snail mail donations for a grand total of $730. A money order is on it's way to SandyD as I type. I'll make sure she gets any straggling snail mails.

I wasn't sure whether to post the tally or PM those who pitched in. I want to personally thank everyone who donated. I also want to thank many of you who shared some kind words along the way.

Sandy, use it however you wish. We love ya, kid! :) Thanks for organizing this, TC and TM. I also want to thank everyone who donated. We're all wishing you the best, Sandy.

SandyD
09-18-2005, 08:47 PM
I have received it, along with TC's nice card. Thank you very much.

I think I'm going to use some of it to buy Target gift cards for my niece and nephew from Bay St Louis who lost their home and everything in it. And I want to do something for Alfred who is out of work until the schools open again. He's getting some free-lance work here in Texas, but that's not going to cover much.

Believe me, it will all be put to good use.

Thanks again.