PDA

View Full Version : Countries that are coming to our aid

Jeremy Piergallini
08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Anybody know? That's what I thought, and I think this was addressed in another thread, but I need to rant. We send millions to Thailand for the Tsunami and get blasted by the world for not sending enough. We get, quite frankly (in my best Stephen A. Smith impression), a disaster on the same level and I haven't seen any other country offering any assistance. Interesting. Irritating. I know it's not about revenge or pettiness and we should always give and help, but why should we be the only ones that live by that. Maybe I'm off based and I apologize for offending anybody, but this does sting me a bit.

Jaycint
08-31-2005, 05:29 PM
I'd give it a few more days, after all this only developed starting late Sunday night. Maybe a couple dollars will roll in from around the globe. I certainly agree with what you're saying though.

Falls City Beer
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
America needs people, bodies, not cash--they've got plenty of that. Thing is, under normal circumstances (not stretching our National Guard to the breaking point, for instance), the U.S. would have more than enough of both to take care of itself.

Would you expect the Joads from the Grapes of Wrath to help the Rockefellers?

Jeremy Piergallini
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
I kind of hoped that and I think most likely at the very least Great Britain may offer some help.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Help thy neighbor. Canada can help, GB can help. There are other wealthy countries out there. Not many, though, but there are some.

registerthis
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
FCB is right, it's people we need. Particularly doctors and engineers. Rebuilding the gulf coast is going to take a remarkable amount of coordination.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
I should have prefaced it by saying, not necessarily monetary help, but some kind of help, some statement or something showing that they care considering everybody runs to us when they need money.

RFS62
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Calm down, guys.

We got blamed for not moving fast in the Tsunami, which was ridiculous. Give them time, the world is full of good people.

RBA
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I read where people all over europe are asking newspapers and government fro the number of a bank account where they can send money/donations.

registerthis
08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
I read where people all over europe are asking newspapers and government fro the number of a bank account where they can send money/donations.Another message board I post on which is comprised primarily of Europeans has begun a collection thread where they are donating money to the red cross and other charities.

Az. Reds Fan
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Anybody know? That's what I thought, and I think this was addressed in another thread, but I need to rant. We send millions to Thailand for the Tsunami and get blasted by the world for not sending enough. We get, quite frankly (in my best Stephen A. Smith impression), a disaster on the same level and I haven't seen any other country offering any assistance. Interesting. Irritating. I know it's not about revenge or pettiness and we should always give and help, but why should we be the only ones that live by that. Maybe I'm off based and I apologize for offending anybody, but this does sting me a bit.

While what happened in the Gulf is incredibly tragic, I don't think these two natural disasters are comparable. Thankfully, people in the Gulf knew what was coming well in advance and had time to evacuate, those in Thailand (and other regions) had no warning whatsoever.

Jeremy Piergallini
09-01-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't think the people on the Coast had any idea how bad it would actually be, so yes, I think they are comparable. I think it is tragic what happened in the SOutheast Asia. BUT, our loss of life is no less tragic or significant than the Thai.

RANDY IN INDY
09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
While what happened in the Gulf is incredibly tragic, I don't think these two natural disasters are comparable. Thankfully, people in the Gulf knew what was coming well in advance and had time to evacuate, those in Thailand (and other regions) had no warning whatsoever.

That's interesting, because I think that there were a majority of people who probably didn't have the means or ability to get out of their homes. We're not talking suburbia here. Most of the reporting that I have seen focuses on the area around New Orleans. Some of those backwoods bayou's and areas that stretch out hundreds of miles that nobody has reached are pretty far out there, and I'm sure that the poverty is rampant.

Regardless, this disaster is huge, and those affected probably could care less that someone thinks it isn't comparable to another disaster.

GIK
09-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Venezuela has offered aid.

MrCinatit
09-01-2005, 10:45 AM
the news ticker at work last night stated countries around the world were offering assistance, which is a very encouraging sign. as RFS said, there are good people out there. help will come.

KittyDuran
09-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm sure a lot of countries will offer aid - but I wonder if our government will accept it? Considering all the ill will that our government has had with some countries - do they really want to take the money? [of course they could take it "under the table" and not tell the general populace (sp?)].

IIRC in the 80's there was a major earthquake in Iran - the US offered support but Iran refused the offer.

westofyou
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Would you expect the Joads from the Grapes of Wrath to help the Rockefellers?

If they don't expect a slight mob reaction from some who complain about the current mob reaction in the damaged areas.

Az. Reds Fan
09-01-2005, 06:15 PM
That's interesting, because I think that there were a majority of people who probably didn't have the means or ability to get out of their homes. We're not talking suburbia here. Most of the reporting that I have seen focuses on the area around New Orleans. Some of those backwoods bayou's and areas that stretch out hundreds of miles that nobody has reached are pretty far out there, and I'm sure that the poverty is rampant.

Regardless, this disaster is huge, and those affected probably could care less that someone thinks it isn't comparable to another disaster.

All I was comparing was the warning factor, not the end result, which in both cases was horrible. And in terms of those people who were affected caring about comparisons, c'mon, no need to state the obvious. It's called conversation, nothing more.

Az. Reds Fan
09-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't think the people on the Coast had any idea how bad it would actually be, so yes, I think they are comparable. I think it is tragic what happened in the SOutheast Asia. BUT, our loss of life is no less tragic or significant than the Thai.

Perhaps you need to read my reply a little closer, I said the two tradgedies were not comparible due to the fact that people in the Gulf had advanced warning and those in Asia did not. End of story.

I never once said or implied that the loss of life in Asia was more/less tragic than what happened here. Don't go there.

oregonred
09-01-2005, 09:30 PM
The rest of the world is waking up a bit, but the full scope of the disaster wasn't clear until Tues PM/Wed AM for countries outside the Western Hemisphere...

Rice says all hurricane aid offers from other countries will be accepted

04:45 PM CDT on Thursday, September 1, 2005

Barry Schweid / Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

The United Nations informed U.S. Ambassador John R. Bolton it was prepared to support the relief effort "in any way possible."

Under Secretary-General Jan Egeland said his office had offered the services of the U.N.'s disaster assistance and coordination teams to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sent a letter to President Bush offering hundreds of doctors, nurses, technicians and other experts in trauma, natural disasters and public health.

"We also offer field hospitals, medical kits and equipment for temporary housing, reinforcement for hospitals, or any assistance that you may require," Sharon wrote.

He said the teams and equipment could be ready in 24 hours.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

"The hearts and prayers of Israel's people are with the people of the United States and the many millions who are suffering in the regional devastation resulting from hurricane Katrina," the Israeli embassy said in a statement.

Jaycint
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

What kind of macho BS is this? Is there some harm in accpeting aid from other countries? Somebody please fill me in on what I'm missing here?

Rojo
09-01-2005, 10:06 PM
What kind of macho BS is this? Is there some harm in accpeting aid from other countries? Somebody please fill me in on what I'm missing here?

I don't get it either. To whom does this appeal exactly? There's no better way to make friends than to have them help you. Its odd but it works that way. Take the help and at least Katrina might help us enter the world's good graces again.

Jaycint
09-01-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't get it either. To whom does this appeal exactly? There's no better way to make friends than to have them help you. Its odd but it works that way. Take the help and at least Katrina might help us enter the world's good graces again.

My thoughts exactly Rojo. I just can't parse this up in any way to where I come up with accepting aid being a bad thing. Create some ties, open some doors, heal some wounds.

CrackerJack
09-01-2005, 10:17 PM

He's only taking cash.

westofyou
09-01-2005, 10:23 PM
He's only taking cash.

John Allen involved?

KronoRed
09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Pile O Cash! is back

Nugget
09-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Australia has just announced $10 million for the ARC.

There is also an offer for disaster relief professionals.

I'm sure the US has enough boats, etc. I think the problem with the recovery/evacuation is the total failure of actual infrastructure. It would be no use Australia or any other country sending boats, trucks, etc. as there would be no where to drive them or dock them. The US Navy has by the far the best resources.

There are news reports down here that say that there are a number of aircraft and boats already in the area its just that there is nowhere to land or dock.

TeamBoone
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
There are news reports down here that say that there are a number of aircraft and boats already in the area its just that there is nowhere to land or dock.

Try a few barges in the Gulf... anything to get those people out of there. Give them some water and a box lunch which is about all their stomachs will be able to handle for awhile anyway. Relocate them by boat in a cyclic manner to somewhere habitable and safe.

Jeremy Piergallini
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I saw Australia was at 7 million and they were sending 20 of their disaster experts to help with coordinating the cleanup.

Sri Lanka, tiny little poor country, pledged $25,000 to the U.S.

I'm glad to see this. This makes me realize there is hope for the world and as somebody else said, there are good people in the world.

Chip R
09-02-2005, 02:45 PM
He's only taking cash.
Cash doesn't leave a paper trail.

KittyDuran
09-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I saw Australia was at 7 million and they were sending 20 of their disaster experts to help with coordinating the cleanup.

Sri Lanka, tiny little poor country, pledged $25,000 to the U.S.

I'm glad to see this. This makes me realize there is hope for the world and as somebody else said, there are good people in the world.Well, I was getting ready to call you out. Does no good to jump to conclusions. :nono:

registerthis
09-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't understand the macho posturing, either.

Pride comes before a fall, Mr. Bush. You would be well-advised to accept the assistance that other countries are offering.

I have no way to communicate this with them, but it really is heartwarming to see all of the other nations throughout the world coming forward and offering assistance. I guess all is not lost, after all.

Cedric
09-02-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't understand the macho posturing, either.

Pride comes before a fall, Mr. Bush. You would be well-advised to accept the assistance that other countries are offering.

I have no way to communicate this with them, but it really is heartwarming to see all of the other nations throughout the world coming forward and offering assistance. I guess all is not lost, after all.

If you don't need the aid they are offering, you don't take it. You have no idea what was offered.

Chip R
09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
If you don't need the aid they are offering, you don't take it. You have no idea what was offered.
What do you think they were offering, rubber chickens?

Jeremy Piergallini
09-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Kitty,
Sorry. Sometimes I do that. Usually takes some time. I'm not a quick thinker. I'm a good thinker, not fast.

KronoRed
09-02-2005, 04:14 PM
What do you think they were offering, rubber chickens?
Never underestimate the power of a good rubber chicken

Jeremy Piergallini
09-02-2005, 04:17 PM
I think Canada offered some "Git R Done" bumper stickers and t-shirts. Powerful, powerful message. Must live by it.

If you don't need the aid, don't take it? Yes, you most certainly take it. With our image and relations not exactly great around the world., you stick your hand out and say thank you.

savafan
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
U.S. accepts Russian Katrina aid

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=316ed5e23f7b3303

After first turning it down, the United States has accepted Russia's proposal to help Louisiana recover from Hurricane Katrina.

Anything that can be of help to alleviate the tragic situation of the area affected by Hurricane Katrina will be accepted, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said. America should be heartened by the fact that the world is reaching out to America at a time of need.

Altogether, more than 20 countries, from allies Germany and Japan to Venezuela and Honduras, have offered to help the United States cope with the aftermath of Katrina, MosNews reported.

President George W. Bush said in an earlier television interview the United States could take care of itself.

registerthis
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
If you don't need the aid they are offering, you don't take it. You have no idea what was offered.:rolleyes:

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

The United Nations informed U.S. Ambassador John R. Bolton it was prepared to support the relief effort "in any way possible."

Under Secretary-General Jan Egeland said his office had offered the services of the U.N.'s disaster assistance and coordination teams to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sent a letter to President Bush offering hundreds of doctors, nurses, technicians and other experts in trauma, natural disasters and public health.

"We also offer field hospitals, medical kits and equipment for temporary housing, reinforcement for hospitals, or any assistance that you may require," Sharon wrote.
Yeah, we don't need any of that. Obviously, they're doing just fine down there. :bang:

savafan
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=6ee0f15c-0382-4abf-bf38-cabb18ae0bc7

CHARLOTTETOWN -- Premier Pat Binns says people on Prince Edward Island want to open their doors to Americans displaced by hurricane Katrina.

Binns says at least 50 Islanders have expressed interest in providing housing.

He says he's been in contact with Canada's ambassador to the U.S., Frank McKenna, and David Wilkins, the U.S. ambassador to Canada.

No word yet on whether the Americans will take P.E.I. up on the offer.

savafan
09-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Calm down, guys.

We got blamed for not moving fast in the Tsunami, which was ridiculous. Give them time, the world is full of good people.

Just for the record:

http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itps/1104/ijpe/cossa.htm

Within 48 hours of the tragedy, with news reports still estimating that "20,000 people are feared dead," the U.S. Pacific Command was already establishing a joint task force to coordinate and conduct humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.

In other news:

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20050902/41283736.html

MOSCOW, September 2 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is waiting for the United States to confirm its readiness to accept assistance from Russia in dealing with the aftermath of the natural disaster that hit New Orleans, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Friday.

"Besides concerns about the fate of our nationals, we again confirmed to the American leaders our readiness to render humanitarian and other assistance in the efforts being made by American authorities, including equipment to search for people under debris, installations to purify and desalinate water, medicine, and other things that may be necessary," Lavrov said.

The minister said three transport aircraft of the Emergency Situations Ministry with humanitarian supplies and helicopters on board were ready to head to the U.S. "They may take off at any moment," he added.

RBA
09-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Qatar gives 100 million dollars for US hurricane relief

Sat Sep 3, 2:06 PM ET

The Gulf emirate of Qatar announced it will donate 100 million dollars to relief efforts for the US victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The aid was granted by Qatar's emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani "in the name of the government and the Qatari people," the official news agency QNA said.

Quoting a foreign ministry spokesman, QNA said: "Qatar expresses its sympathy and its solidarity to the US people and government in these painful circumstances and sends its condolences to the families of the victims in this humanitarian catastrophe."

Three other Arab countries -- Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates -- have also offered aid to the United States.

The hurricane wreaked devastation on the three southern states of Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama and caused thousands of deaths.

A US-based risk management company that specializes in disaster recovery said that the damage caused by the storm in Louisiana and Mississippi is likely to surpass 100 billion dollars.

Jaycint
09-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Qatar gives 100 million dollars for US hurricane relief

Wow! Bump Qatar up the AP rankings! :thumbup: