PDA

View Full Version : Washing Away

HotCorner
09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
This comes from the WSJ On-line ...

Three years ago, the New Orleans Times-Picayune won journalism awards for an exhaustive five-part series called "Washing Away," which began with the words: "It's only a matter of time before south Louisiana takes a direct hit from a major hurricane. Billions have been spent to protect us, but we grow more vulnerable every day."

To read the series, go to http://www.nola.com/hurricane/?/washingaway/

RBA
09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
But it was unpredictable? Well, at least according to one man from Crawford.

snowstorm
09-03-2005, 02:37 AM
I read that series about a year ago. It just amazes me how unprepared everyone was from the federal level all the way down to the city level.

The scary thing is that New Orleans didn't get a direct hit from Katrina. What would have happened if they would have taken a direct hit from a Category 5 Katrina? There wouldn't have been a rescue because the city would have been totally destroyed. Scary.

GAC
09-03-2005, 06:08 AM
But it was unpredictable? Well, at least according to one man from Crawford.

Hurricanes are unpredictable - as far as sustained strength, direction, and damage. Just ask any meteorologist. So are tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanic erruptions, etc.

There are currently more storms/tropical depressions forming in the Atlantic. Care to predict what they are gonna do?

Can't you ever give it a rest, and during this time when so many are ether dead, suffering, and facing such uncertainty in their lives, not make it a political attack issue?

GEEZ! :rolleyes:

RBA
09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
The hurricane was bearing down on New Orleans. Every meterolisgist said it was going to be bad. The flooding of New Orleans was preicted by the local, state, and federal governments.

You are making it politcal with your attempts to cover for those responsible.

Can't you ever give it a rest?

GEEZ!

paintmered
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
They knew 36-48 hours beforehand that it was headed for New Orleans. Most meteorologists were predicting Katrina to be a cat 3. Everyone went to sleep while it was a cat 1 and woke up to a cat 5. NOBODY saw that coming. And even as it was approaching land, a few miles east or west movement would have made a huge difference in severity of the storm for N.O..

Not to take the side of the local and federal officials, but there wasn't much that could have been done in those 24-48 hours before the storm. Could they have sufficiently strengthened the levees? Absolutely not. A few sandbags would have been like spitting in the ocean. Those who could get out, got out. Those who couldn't or didn't want to leave stayed. The mayor made it clear that he didn't want anyone to stay and not to mess around with this storm, but still 100,000 people didn't listen or couldn't heed the call.

ochre
09-03-2005, 12:36 PM
They knew 36-48 hours beforehand that it was headed for New Orleans. Most meteorologists were predicting Katrina to be a cat 3. Everyone went to sleep while it was a cat 1 and woke up to a cat 5. NOBODY saw that coming. And even as it was approaching land, a few miles east or west movement would have made a huge difference in severity of the storm for N.O..

Not to take the side of the local and federal officials, but there wasn't much that could have been done in those 24-48 hours before the storm. Could they have sufficiently strengthened the levees? Absolutely not. A few sandbags would have been like spitting in the ocean. Those who could get out, got out. Those who couldn't or didn't want to leave stayed. The mayor made it clear that he didn't want anyone to stay and not to mess around with this storm, but still 100,000 people didn't listen or couldn't heed the call.
They could have begun staging food and water to be shipped in as soon as the storm cleared. They could have alerted National Guardsmen on Sunday, not Wednesday. I don't buy that they "did the best they could". Every warning I read Sunday said levee breaches were highly probable. Nothing was done, apparently at any level. I am particularly disturbed by the LA governor. The city itself had its infrastructure wiped out, what they were capable of co-ordinating at that point is fairly limited. The mayor of NO can't activate Guardsmen. The Governor can. She didn't do it quick enough. Many of the deaths could/should have been preventable. That's unacceptable.

RBA
09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
No, you are putting out misinformation. But the storm did not go from CAT 1 to CAT 5 overnight. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but you need to get your facts straight.

There are multi studies, thesis papers, analysis on what would happen if the levee's broke due to a CAT 3 hurricane and above. No one in their RIGHT MIND can say it was unpridictable.

paintmered
09-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree it is unacceptable. But alot of people are forgetting that this storm quite literally popped up overnight. Officials had about 24 hours from realizing this storm was a cat 5 and headed for the vicinity of N.O. to the point where hurricane force winds started reaching the coast.

The aid response anticipated was clearly underestimated. Yes they had some teams mobilized before the storm hit and some supplies at hand, but nothing like what they needed nor was there a command and control established to coordinate efforts. And when all communication methods went out, we were left with a big mess of everyone looking at the other person waiting for orders. I think that's where the largest failure occurred, underestimation of this storm and lack of communication - partially due to infrastructure damage, partially due to the beurocratic nonsense that is government.

But as for the levees, there was nothing that could have been done in a period of 48 hours.

paintmered
09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
No, you are putting out misinformation. But the storm did not go from CAT 1 to CAT 5 overnight. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but you need to get your facts straight.

There are multi studies, thesis papers, analysis on what would happen if the levee's broke due to a CAT 3 hurricane and above. No one in their RIGHT MIND can say it was unpridictable.

This is from memory. I went to bed and the storm was a Cat 1, possibly a Cat 2. I woke up the next morning and winds were 160 mph (about 8 in the morning eastern).

All the meteoroligists realized the storm was going to strengthen, but even they were all shocked when they found out it was a Category 5.

If I am wrong, correct me with the facts. Just don't assume I am trying to misinform everyone else. What were the wind speeds at 2200 Saturday vs. 800 Sunday?

SunDeck
09-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Once the storm crossed over into the Gulf it was pretty certain that it would strengthen. It did, and your memory is incorrect.

Having said that, give it a rest folks. This is going to last a long time. Focus on the suffering right now; the culpable parties can be called out once we've collected the dead, save the living, reunite the separated and start rebuilding the region. The facts of whether or not they prepared will be there in a month or two. Katrina didn't knock out the historical record.