PDA

View Full Version : Halliburton hired for storm cleanup

savafan
09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685

The Navy has hired Houston-based Halliburton Co. to restore electric power, repair roofs and remove debris at three naval facilities in Mississippi damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

Halliburton subsidiary KBR will also perform damage assessments at other naval installations in New Orleans as soon as it is safe to do so.

KBR was assigned the work under a "construction capabilities" contract awarded in 2004 after a competitive bidding process. The company is not involved in the Army Corps of Engineers' effort to repair New Orleans' levees.

LincolnparkRed
09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
not really a shocker is it? Good to know the old boys network still works even with a lot of their manpower still in Iraq

registerthis
09-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey, if they're truly the best qualified to perform the task, I don't have a problem with it.

It's the unbid contracts that gnaw at me.

BuckU
09-06-2005, 03:09 PM
A little money in the pocket of our good friend Dickie....

Blimpie
09-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey, if they're truly the best qualified to perform the task, I don't have a problem with it.

It's the unbid contracts that gnaw at me.Exactly. It amazes me that people fail to make that distinction and gloss right over a salient portion from the original post:

KBR was assigned the work under a "construction capabilities" contract awarded in 2004 after a competitive bidding process. The company is not involved in the Army Corps of Engineers' effort to repair New Orleans' levees.

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
come on everyone get it out of your system....say it the eviiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllll dick cheney,the evillllllllllllllllllllllllll halliburton--ok u feel better now???? who's supposed to help fix the naval facilities roto-rooter?!?!?!?

GAC
09-07-2005, 09:05 AM

It's the unbid contracts that gnaw at me.

Agree 100%.

RBA
09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Yup, if they are the best in a contract bid. I don't see how anyone could a problem with it.

George Foster
09-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Yup, if they are the best in a contract bid. I don't see how anyone could a problem with it.

Agree. good post. Halliburton does great work. If there are any over charges, the press will find out. The White House I assure you are watching them as well, they don't want any more trouble. Everything will be on the "up and up."

Rojo
09-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Agree. good post. Halliburton does great work. If there are any over charges, the press will find out. The White House I assure you are watching them as well, they don't want any more trouble. Everything will be on the "up and up."

Now surely you don't believe THAT. There's $9 billion missing in Iraq (that's with a "b").

And if the press does find out, Rove will spin it and you'll believe it.

RBA
09-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Let's not go overboard and think that Haliburton and washington insiders are looking out for our best interest.

dsmith421
09-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Are you serious?

When has this White House ever exercised any real oversight over "one of its own"?

GAC
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
When has any White House not done this? ;)

Rojo
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
When has any White House not done this? ;)

The "they all do it" defense.

Blimpie
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
The "they all do it" defense.Sounds more like the "selective amnesia" illness on your part.

Rojo
09-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Sounds more like the "selective amnesia" illness on your part.

Eh?

GAC
09-08-2005, 04:51 PM
The "they all do it" defense.

Not defending anything. Simply stating a reality when it comes to politics - take care of your own. ;)

registerthis
09-08-2005, 04:59 PM
IN all honesty, this clean up effort will be so massive and lengthy, you pretty much have to have a mega-corp like Halliburton running it. Like I said, if the bidding process was competitive, and if Hallburton was selected based on that--and I have no reason to think that they weren't--then the job should go to them.

But before anyone reads into this as some love affair of Halliburton, I think the management in that company is as corrupt as can be, regardless of their capabilities. The billions of dollars in Iraq that are unaccounted for, and the UNBID contracts for the reconstruction of that nation, are both glaring examples.