PDA

View Full Version : Superdome likely to be torn down

macro
09-06-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure if this came up in the Katrina thread, but either way, it's a topic all its own. With all the pain and suffering that is taking place right now, there are 1,001 more important things to worry about than the fate of an aging concrete bowl. Nevertheless, the Superdome was an American landmark, of sorts, having hosted the Super Bowl, the Final Four, the Sugar Bowl, and even appearing in some movies. It's alternating colored panels above the top level of seats near the roof were unmistakable. It's amazing that a place that had so often been a place of happiness and celebration was reduced to poisoned house of horrors, and it will probably be one of the most enduring images of the tragedy as years pass.

I posted on another board last week that, even if it could be repaired, it might be best to tear it down anyway. How could people come to the facility and enjoy themselves after what has happened there? I don't think it would ever escape the stigma of last week, and the people would have it sitting there as a reminder.

Superdome likely to be torn down
Governor reportedly says it was too badly damaged during Katrina to repair

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 9:10 p.m. ET Sept. 6, 2005

The Louisiana Superdome was so heavily damaged during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath that it likely will have to be torn down, CNN.com reported Tuesday, citing a a spokesperson for Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

Katrina sheared away much of the roof's covering, and water leaked into the stadium when it was used as a shelter for thousands of stranded residents.

The home of the New Orleans Saints is also the site of the annual Sugar Bowl and has hosted such events as the Super Bowl and college basketball's Final Four.

2005 NBC Sports.com

Blimpie
09-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Well, it looks like Tom Benson will finally get his wish after all. It's a shame, but he will probably end up either holding the town hostage for a new stadium (using a little bit of that Federal aid in the process?) or just bolt town completely.

"Hello, Los Angeles?"

GoReds
09-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't think the Saints will ever play another game in New Orleans, regardless of what they do with the Superdome. Consider the fact that Baton Rouge expects to absorb ~300,000 new citizens in the next year, mostly from the New Orleans area and you have to wonder if New Orleans will have the means to support any major team.

The discussion that I've heard indicated that whatever replaced the Superdome would have to be capable of withstanding the type of disaster that they just went through. It would also have to have backup generators, food supplies and water services in such an event. Then think how much that is going to cost.

I just don't see it.

Caseyfan21
09-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Worrying about rebuilding a football stadium should be one of the last priorities for the city. I think several years down the road, NO could possibly support a pro team, but not at this point. Hopefully the city can be rebuilt but I can't see it ever regaining its past population.

Danny Serafini
09-07-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't think the Saints will come back either. It would take a couple of years to build a new stadium, and that's if they started today. With all the rebuilding that needs to be done a new football stadium is probably pretty far down the list right now. The Saints can't be a wandering vagabond team forever, they'll have to find a permanent home next year, and New Orleans just won't be ready.

Reds Fanatic
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
The Saints owner has business ties to the San Antonio area. I really think you will eventually see the Saints move to San Antonio. If not there than probably Los Angeles.

RBA
09-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm in agreement too. N.O. going to take about 10 years to come close to the population they had before. On another note, how about the Zephres (spell) moving to El Paso? I haven't seen anything, but I would like them to do it. ;)

registerthis
09-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't think the Saints will ever play another game in New Orleans, regardless of what they do with the Superdome. Consider the fact that Baton Rouge expects to absorb ~300,000 new citizens in the next year, mostly from the New Orleans area and you have to wonder if New Orleans will have the means to support any major team.

The discussion that I've heard indicated that whatever replaced the Superdome would have to be capable of withstanding the type of disaster that they just went through. It would also have to have backup generators, food supplies and water services in such an event. Then think how much that is going to cost.

I just don't see it.Don't forget, though, that New orleans remains strategically located as a critical point of commerce and oil. Where there is commerce and economic activity, there are jobs, and where there are jobs, there will be people. Baton Rouge simply doesn't have the economic opportunities that New orleans does. The city adn government's job will be to convince residents and businesses that it is safe to return.

It will certainly take NO some time to recover from this, there's no doubt. And were it not in such a strategic location you might be forgiven for thinking it would NEVER recover. But, as we have seen in the past (Chicago, San Fran, Corpus Christi, etc.) if the location is important enough, people will rebuild.

Now, whether or not they will have pro sports is another matter entirely. I don't see the Saints returning to NO anytime int he near future, if at all. Although I wouldn't discount the idea that Benson may parlay this into a "good-guy image booster" scenario...make public comments about wanting to stay in NO to help the city rebuild and get back on its feet, then hold the city--and state--hostage for a new stadium to be built.

One final thought--large sports events are a critical part of the state's economy, between the Super Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Final Four and other events...it's difficult to imagine New Orleans withOUT a major sports venue for very long once rebuilding efforts are underway.

RBA
09-07-2005, 12:28 PM
September 06, 2005

PCL considers moving team in Louisiana
SUN WIRE SERVICES

The Pacific Coast League's franchise in New Orleans may play its 2006 season in Baton Rouge, PCL vice president Don Logan said Monday.

The PCL's owners are set to have a conference call today for a formal discussion on the state of the franchise, which played in the suburb of Metairie. In a statement, the PCL office said it believed that players' families and the team's staff were all accounted for.

Logan said that Zephyr Field is currently being used as a staging area for the ongoing rescue and recovery efforts. The stadium, which opened in 1997, suffered only cosmetic damage during the storm, and it and the surrounding area remained dry afterward.

For 2006, the Zephyrs may move to 7,760-seat Alex Box Stadium on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, 80 miles from New Orleans.

Roy Tucker
09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Don't forget, though, that New orleans remains strategically located as a critical point of commerce and oil. Where there is commerce and economic activity, there are jobs, and where there are jobs, there will be people. Baton Rouge simply doesn't have the economic opportunities that New orleans does. The city adn government's job will be to convince residents and businesses that it is safe to return.
I was talking to a neighbor at a Labor Day outing that is involved in getting pig iron procured and shipped. He said the Port of New Orleans is the largest in the US (and 4th in the world) and said it isn't going anywhere soon.

Strategically at the mouth of the Mississippi River, the port and the entire infrastructure supporting the port (rail, fuel, highway, etc.) is entirely too valuable and critical to the huge US petro, agriculture, and manfacturing industries for it to ever go away.

He said that the east and west coast ports are currently maxed out and operating at capacity.

He said there are a series of ports from mile marker 50 to about 180 on the Mississippi River. And that they were ready to go the day after Katrina.

SandyD
09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
It will be a long time before New Orleans can support a professional sports team. I've heard rumors that a couple of energy companies that have large offices in New Orleans are considering relocating permanently. They'd reopen a small office in New Orleans when the city reopens, but scaled way back from the what it was.

There were plans to build a large production facility on the west bank to support the growing movie industry in the state. That's probably going to die on the table.

Tourism is huge in New Orleans. Are people going to want to come back and visit when this is over? Will the video, particularly of the looting and violence, keep people away?

The people of New Orleans are scattered across the country, living in shelters, homes of relatives, hotels. We cannot remain in this condition permanently. Many will find jobs and permanently relocate. Maybe most.

It's going to take years for New Orleans to become anywhere close to the city it once was, but there's still a chance for the city to emerge from this in better shape than before.

Puffy
09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
The Superdome will be rebuilt and the NFL will be back. They will have to because New Orleans is such an important port city, and the govt will eventually realize this and end up giving them the money.

On another note, this has done nothing to decrease my desire to move back there. As horrible as this may sound, with all the people who will not be going back some really nice houses are going to hit the market, and I for one wouldn't mind jumping in. Hey, any money going into the area has to be a good thing.

I love New Orleans!

registerthis
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
The Superdome will be rebuilt and the NFL will be back. They will have to because New Orleans is such an important port city, and the govt will eventually realize this and end up giving them the money.Considering how much has been given to NYC in the rebuilding of the Trade Center, they certainly should be able to provide the money for the rebuilding of an entire city that is vital to the economic health of the country.

Chip R
09-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Considering how much has been given to NYC in the rebuilding of the Trade Center, they certainly should be able to provide the money for the rebuilding of an entire city that is vital to the economic health of the country.

They should but will they? As I said in another thread, local & state officials have been mighty critical of the Feds' handling of this and W in particular. You really think W and his congress would go out of their way and appropriate money for rebuilding NO when they have been criticized about it? And they might but it may not be real quick in coming and it may not be as much as they need.

Puffy
09-07-2005, 03:10 PM
They should but will they? As I said in another thread, local & state officials have been mighty critical of the Feds' handling of this and W in particular. You really think W and his congress would go out of their way and appropriate money for rebuilding NO when they have been criticized about it? And they might but it may not be real quick in coming and it may not be as much as they need.

This is Bush we are talking about. There is oil off the the coast. He'll rebuild it quickly.

KronoRed
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
The Saints won't be back, they can't stay in limbo for 5 years waiting for a new place, perhaps they will get an expansion team or some other team will move, but I see that happening in about 15-20 years.

SandyD
09-07-2005, 03:33 PM
The Superdome will be rebuilt and the NFL will be back. They will have to because New Orleans is such an important port city, and the govt will eventually realize this and end up giving them the money.

On another note, this has done nothing to decrease my desire to move back there. As horrible as this may sound, with all the people who will not be going back some really nice houses are going to hit the market, and I for one wouldn't mind jumping in. Hey, any money going into the area has to be a good thing.

I love New Orleans!

I'm not so worried about the NFL. And I believe New Orleans will be back ... maybe not as big, but there's still a chance for it to be better than before.

I'm anxious to get back and be part of rebuilding.

WVRed
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
The Saints won't be back, they can't stay in limbo for 5 years waiting for a new place, perhaps they will get an expansion team or some other team will move, but I see that happening in about 15-20 years.

Word.

San Antonio Saints. That has a nice ring to it.

SandyD
09-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Word.

Sorry, no it doesn't. The name works, and San Antonio is a fine city. But there's nothing "nice" about it. Kind of like a player losing his job while on the DL.

Puffy, start studying for the Louisiana Bar Exam. If my sister-in-law who went to law school at TCU can do it, I know you can.

Roy Tucker
09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Word.

Sounds like the Los Angeles Lakers or Utah Jazz.

Speaking of which, any word on what's going to happen with the Hornets?

Danny Serafini
09-07-2005, 03:59 PM

I heard Oklahoma City offered to host them, that's all I've heard. Can't imagine that's too likely.

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2005, 03:59 PM

The NBA has already stated they most likely wouldn't play in New Orleans this season. I believe I read that Oklahoma City has offered to let them play their 2005-2006 season there.

BTW, I would tear it down. I know for a fact that I wouldn't ever step foot in the Superdome again after going through the hell they did.

WVRed
09-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Los Angeles Lakers=No Lakes in LA

Utah Jazz=Music is frowned upon.;)

I don't get it. :confused:

westofyou
09-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Toronto Toros... most misplaced Hockey name in pro history.

15fan
09-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Toronto Toros... most misplaced Hockey name in pro history.

In that part of the world, they probably weren't thinking about Toro as in Spanish for "bull".

They were probably refering to these (http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/index.html) kinds of Toros. ;)

Jeremy Piergallini
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Moving them to San Antonio would be a huge mistake. So it would probably happen. I have heard that San Antonio is like New Orleans in it's demographic type and that Benson would never sell out and would have to play in the Alamodome right away, which doesn't seat too much. That's what I heard, don't know if it's the gospel.

I think they should move to Baton Rouge and become the Louisiana Saints. They should not leave the state. I'm kind of a tradition guy, so that is what I want to see.

Roy Tucker
09-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Los Angeles Lakers=No Lakes in LA

Utah Jazz=Music is frowned upon.;)

I don't get it. :confused:
My point being "Saints" seems to be a unique name for a New Orleans team that captures an aspect of the character of the city (at least to me it does).

And if you decouple the city from the name (Like the Minneapolis->Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans->Utah Jazz), the name doesn't seem to fit any more.

So when you said you liked the "ring" of it, to me, it seemed to not feel right (again, IMHO).

If they move to San Antonio, then they need to be renamed something else that fits the character of SA.

Funny, but I had the exact same thought as Jeremy with the Lousiana Saints being in Baton Rouge.

I think for the Saints to completely abandon New Orleans and the state of Louisiana would have a real negative emotional impact on an already battered state and would be a cruddy thing to do IMHO. I feel that sports can play a role in at least the emotional recovery of the city/state.

SandyD
09-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Actually, the name Saints might fit San Antonio as well. Very Catholic city, Mission trail, etc.

Now, I like the idea of the Louisiana Saints, playing in Baton Rouge, which is growing fast. Can't find rental property at all there. People are buying homes as temporary residences because they can't find apartments.

RBA
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
The City of Angels doesn't fit the Saints? :confused:

Heath
09-07-2005, 05:31 PM

remember this is a town with a team (loosely translated) named the City of Angels Angels Anaheim.

I wonder if LSU could get field turf. Or, could they play in Shreveport?

I have a dumb question for SandyD - I'm not implying my views, just a question. It was stated on PBS that there is a plan in place to rebuild New Orleans as a historical type city (like Williamsburg, VA) with less people and more of a tourist/historic attraction than an urban area. Have you heard about this?

BTW - I think Louisiana as a state could keep the Saints

westofyou
09-07-2005, 05:35 PM

http://www.section219.com/Portals/0/ProductImages/ShreveportSteamer.gif

Caveat Emperor
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
?

I have a dumb question for SandyD - I'm not implying my views, just a question. It was stated on PBS that there is a plan in place to rebuild New Orleans as a historical type city (like Williamsburg, VA) with less people and more of a tourist/historic attraction than an urban area. Have you heard about this?

I'm actually afraid something like this could end up happening to the city just as an unintentional byproduct of all this.

The city's character stems from it's historical roots and the people who call it home. When those people leave, a big part of what makes New Orleans special leaves with it. They can rebuild all the old places and revive the tourist industry, but without the people, it'll be more like a Disney World/Epcot Center version of New Orleans more than it will be an actual authentic experience the way it used to be.

I'm trying not to be doom-and-gloomy about it, but it's been hard the last week or so...

KronoRed
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
How many teams does LA get before they give up on the idea? ;)

Puffy
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm actually afraid something like this could end up happening to the city just as an unintentional byproduct of all this.

The city's character stems from it's historical roots and the people who call it home. When those people leave, a big part of what makes New Orleans special leaves with it. They can rebuild all the old places and revive the tourist industry, but without the people, it'll be more like a Disney World/Epcot Center version of New Orleans more than it will be an actual authentic experience the way it used to be.

I'm trying not to be doom-and-gloomy about it, but it's been hard the last week or so...

Amen. And its been a terrible week.

But I am steadfast in my belief that they will rebuild it and it will regain its character and charm. New Orleans is chock full of resilient folks and they won't let the city die.

Heath
09-07-2005, 07:23 PM
http://www.section219.com/Portals/0/ProductImages/ShreveportSteamer.gif

good one woy---thought with you close to Canada, you might remember this one...

http://www.idctel.com/images/cfl94_03.JPG

SandyD
09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
remember this is a town with a team (loosely translated) named the City of Angels Angels Anaheim.

BTW - I think Louisiana as a state could keep the Saints

I haven't heard anything directly, though I did hear a third hand report that the city could become like a resort city. I'd hate to see it, though. Like CE and Puffy say, it's the people of the city that make New Orleans what it is. So, making New Orleans a strictly resort/ tourist/ historic type city gets an big thumbs down from me.

paintmered
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM

Judging by all the field turf UC has installed in the past year or two, it takes at least 2 weeks to install it.

I really hope they get to play at LSU. A region as embattled as the gulf coast is right now, they don't deserve to lose their team too.

LoganBuck
09-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Furman said on sports talk that potential suitors to house the Hornets, include Louisville (likely), and even Cincinnati (unlikely). Also said that either San Antonio, or LA would get the Saints, and if LA gets them it is likely permanent.

I decided that the best thing to do with the Superdome, is to make the criminals that violently looted, raped, or murdered, if they are arrested, clean the dome, before it is torn down!

macro
09-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Furman said on sports talk that potential suitors to house the Hornets, include Louisville (likely), and even Cincinnati (unlikely).

I don't know where Furball got his info about Louisville, but there isn't much love for Hornets ownership in Louisville, after they chose New Orleans over Louisville during the recent relocation. City leaders might be willing to let bygones be bygones, but I kinda doubt it.

It was going to be a tough sell to get some in town to accept any NBA team, much less one that thumbed its nose at the city just a few months ago. I suspect Furman was making it up as he went along, as he often does.

I hope I'm wrong and Furman is right. I'd love to see pro sports come to town, even if it's the NBA, and even if it's the lowly Hornets.

(By the way, Logan, I know you were only repeating what you heard, and I appreciate your posting it. It's interesting to know that anyone is even speculating that Louisville could end up hosting the team. Any cynicism in my reply was directed at Furman and not your post. :) )

Unassisted
09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Just saw on WWL that refurbishing the Superdome is now being touted as more likely than rebuilding it. $100M to refurb versus $300-500M to demolish and rebuild makes it an easier choice.

LoganBuck
09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
No prob Macro, your opinion of Furman mirrors mine.

LoganBuck
09-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Just saw on WWL that refurbishing the Superdome is now being touted as more likely than rebuilding it. $100M to refurb versus $300-500M to demolish and rebuild makes it an easier choice.

Makes my idea all the more reasonable.

paintmered
09-07-2005, 11:50 PM
I think they would be hard pressed to demolish and rebuild a NFL stadium for under $500 million - especially if it is built with taxpayer money.

It's harder to limit spending with money that's not yours.

macro
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
I hope they keep it, despite the bad memories that are sure to linger. I hate to see stadiums demolished, even those that are past their prime. I still get sad when I'm reminded that I'll never go to Riverfront again.

Then again, I'm not from NO and haven't experienced what those people have, so I would respect their decision and their wishes, whatever that is. A very historic landmark will be lost if they demolish it, though.

It's just a shame that this is what once was...

http://www.ticketcity.com/images/venue/louisiana_superdome.gif

...and this is what is...

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2005-09-07-superdome.jpg

macro
09-08-2005, 12:52 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2005-09-07-superdome-future_x.htm

Estimated cost of repairing Superdome: $100 million

By Dan Turner, The (Shreveport, La.) Times

BATON ROUGE Reports that the Superdome will need to be scrapped are premature and possibly greatly exaggerated, an official of the facility's management group said Wednesday.

It will be a minimum of two weeks before damage assessment crews will be able to get into the facility to determine if it can be repaired, said Doug Thornton, regional vice president of SMG. "I know there's been a lot of speculation in regards to the future of the dome," he said. "I believe it's premature to make any speculation."

Cost estimates to repair the building likely will start at $100 million, Thornton said, adding that replacing the Superdome could cost $600 million or more.

A massive cleanup and an extremely unpleasant one, based on the horrifying stench will have to occur before the damage assessment can begin.

Used as a storm shelter during Hurricane Katrina, the Superdome took a beating inside and out. High winds ripped 8-by-12-foot exhaust fans from the building, allowing rain to permeate the multi-layered roof. About 70% of the roof failed.

There are at least two inches of standing water on the field, and officials are trying to come up with some way to at least temporarily cover the holes in the roof.

Wind and rain damage are just part of the problem.

Areas where shelter dwellers set up house while the storm passed and for days afterward are littered with all manner of belongings, from television sets to chairs and personal items. Large amounts of human waste have spread throughout the concourse area and onto the field.

Dedicated Aug. 3, 1975, the Superdome has been home to Super Bowls, Final Fours, papal visits, NCAA national title football games and political conventions. It was at the 1988 Republican National Convention that George H.W. Bush said, "Read my lips: No new taxes," a quote that dogged his administration.

The Superdome is a New Orleans icon, as recognizable as a Mardi Gras float.

"I think it could be a symbol for the rebuilding of New Orleans." Thornton said, when asked whether he preferred repairing the dome or building a replacement.

macro
10-21-2005, 01:38 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ESPNSports/story?id=1234707

OFFICIALS: Superdome should be ready for Saints in '06

Associated Press

October 20, 2005

BATON ROUGE, La. Louisiana Superdome officials said Thursday that the stadium should be largely cleaned up from Hurricane Katrina and ready for the New Orleans Saints to play at least some of their games there in 2006.
However, the announcement came as San Antonio officials said they were working Saints owner Tom Benson to keep the team in Texas. The state must also respond to the team's assertions that its state-owned practice facility has been rendered unusable by damages caused by federal agencies in the weeks following the Aug. 29 storm.

The Superdome, severely damaged by high winds, should have a temporary roof in place within 10 days, said Doug Thornton, regional vice president for SMG, which manages the Superdome. An environmental assessment of its interior damaged by rainfall through holes in the roof and its use as a shelter for evacuees should be finished by Dec. 1, he said.

"We're working to make the Dome ready for the next season," Thornton said at a meeting of the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District Commission, the state board that oversees the Superdome.

The Saints have drawn criticism recently with shake ups in upper-level staff, as Benson apparently leans toward moving the team from New Orleans to San Antonio.

On Monday, Benson fired Arnold Fielkow, the team's top business executive since 2000 and an advocate for keeping the Saints in Louisiana. Fielkow has said that stance led to his dismissal. On Tuesday, Conrad Kowal, senior director of marketing and business development, resigned.

The team also sent a letter to the Louisiana National Guard and the stadium commission, saying their Jefferson Parish practice facility, leased from the state for $1 per year, has been damaged so badly by federal actions after the storm that the team cannot return "for some time [if ever]."

"These actions have effectively terminated the Saints' lease for the facility and have caused great and continuing damage to the team," said the letter, signed by lawyers for the team.

Tim Coulon, head of the stadium commission and the state's negotiator with the team, said Thursday that state officials planned to inspect damage at the practice facility next week.

"If there's some damage to those buildings, we're going to rectify that," Coulon said.

Asked it he thought the letter was Benson's first step toward leaving New Orleans, Coulon said he hoped not.

"I don't want to speculate, because I haven't heard from him," Coulon said. "But it's not too late [for Benson] to step up to the plate and be the good citizen."

Under the terms of the state's contract with the team, the Saints could argue that the storm has made the stadium unusable, move to another state and avoid paying an $81 million penalty, Coulon said.

Coulon said the state would fight such a move, probably in court or in arbitration.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she talked for some time with NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue on Wednesday. She said he is committed to working with Louisiana, but also suggested that the game at LSU's Tiger Stadium on Oct. 30 "is not just a game but a very symbolic event and we should encourage as many people as possible to go."

She said she had not spoken to Benson.

"I'm planning to speak with him shortly," she said. "I needed to speak with the commissioner first."

Asked about Mayor Ray Nagin's suggestion that if the team does leave, the city should keep the name, she said, "I think it's brilliant."

But Blanco said she didn't talk to Tagliabue about that. "Let's just support the Saints. That's what I say."

KronoRed
10-21-2005, 04:56 AM
I can't see the NFL ever approving a permanent move out of NO.

Chip R
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM

They don't have to approve.

Heath
10-21-2005, 09:55 AM

Talk to Cleveland about that.

BTW - The media market for San Antonio would be the smallest in the league (excluding Green Bay). I'm not sure if the NFL wants to replicate another Jacksonville.

If the Saints leave NO/SA....look for another trip down I-10 West until it dead ends into LA.

Unassisted
10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
I can't see the NFL ever approving a permanent move out of NO.If the move was to Los Angeles, Tagliabue would approve it in a heartbeat and show up early on moving day to help load the truck.

Blimpie
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM
If the move was to Los Angeles, Tagliabue would approve it in a heartbeat and show up early on moving day to help load the truck.That's what being the # 2 media market in the US will do for you. Too bad the NFL is the only party that even gives a hoot about Los Angeles having a team.

There is no viable stadium option in LA and absolutely ZERO chance of getting public funding to provide one in the area. The LA fans are completely indifferent on this matter. College football in that area gives them plenty of options for their enjoyment.

I have heard that the league energies are shifting to Orange County, CA where they could have some stadium support for placement in and around the facilities where the Ducks and the Angels play their games....

Heath
10-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I have heard that the league energies are shifting to Orange County, CA where they could have some stadium support for placement in and around the facilities where the Ducks and the Angels play their games....

Great just what we need....The Los Angeles Saints of Anaheim

:rolleyes:

RBA
10-21-2005, 12:20 PM
The I-10 ends in Santa Monica at the Pacific Coast Highway.

KronoRed
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
They don't have to approve.
The league doesn't have to approve team moves? :confused:

Chip R
10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
The league doesn't have to approve team moves? :confused:

Nope. Remember, they tried to block the Raiders from going to L.A. and the L.A. Colliseum commission sued the NFL under the Sherman Antitrust act. L.A. won and the Raiders moved. Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, the L.A. Rams and HOU (not to mention the Raiders moving back to OAK again) all moved after that. Mike Brown used the threat of moving to CLE or L.A. to get the people here to vote for the sales tax increase. Since baseball has an antitrust exemption, teams need approval to move to a new city.

KronoRed
10-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Ahh I didn't know the history.

Well that doesn't bode well for New Orleans.

KronoRed
10-23-2005, 04:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2201514

Saints owner Tom Benson declared this week that nothing will be decided on the franchise's future until after the season. But ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that, based on information from key league sources, the team has probably played its last game in New Orleans.

According to Mortensen, San Antonio is a likely home for 2006 and Los Angeles is the preferred destination beyond that. The NFL could still include New Orleans as a Super Bowl site when the city is reconstructed, and expansion might even be a possibility, but that's 10 to 15 years away.

If the Saints relocate to San Antonio or elsewhere, New Orleans has only a slim chance of ever seeing another NFL team, according to a major sports consultant.

Marc Ganis of SportsCorp Ltd. in Chicago served as a consultant to Cleveland in 1996 when that city's NFL team moved to Baltimore and the NFL guaranteed Cleveland a new team and allowed the city to keep the Browns' logos, colors and nickname.

Earlier this week, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said he wanted the "Cleveland deal" if the team relocates. Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she supported Nagin on such a plan.

But Ganis questioned the strategy.

"If I were advising Mayor Nagin, I would have given him the same advice that someone should have given the mayors of Baltimore and Houston," Ganis said. "Hold on to what you have. Do everything you have to hold on to what you've got, because there's no certainty to what will come next or what will come at all."

Houston lost the Oilers to Tennessee and later got the expansion Texans.

Ganis said New Orleans is already viewed as a small market struggling to remain financially competitive -- and most NFL owners oppose expanding beyond the present 32 teams.

Cleveland provided stout support for its new team with corporate dollars and businesses that generated tax money to build a new stadium, Ganis said.

"It's not the people," Ganis said of New Orleans' situation. "It's not the individuals who show up at the game and buy the tickets. The people are great. It's the business, or lack of, that's the primary factor. For whatever reason, the area simply does not have many strong and large businesses."

But Ganis and two other sports consultants said the issue includes a wild card -- compassion for a city devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

"When it's all said and done, the whole situation boils down to one thing -- how do these 32 owners feel about resolving New Orleans while protecting their franchise value?" said David Carter, a sports consultant in Los Angeles.

Dean Bonham, a sports consultant based in Denver, questioned whether the NFL would support a move to San Antonio, which like New Orleans is considered a small market, or whether the NFL could strike a deal to build or renovate a stadium equipped for a team in Los Angeles.

If neither San Antonio nor Los Angeles is adequately prepared to support an NFL team, Bonham said the Saints will likely remain in New Orleans.

"I would have to say the chances are 50-50 or less that you'll see the New Orleans Saints move from one city to another at this point," Bonham said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

snowstorm
10-24-2005, 03:12 AM
I feel bad for the people of New Orleans. This is a terrible way to lose a team. People who have lost everything feel as though they've been punched in the gut again. As someone who posts on the Hornets board, I can tell you that the Saints fans are not taking this well at all (as expected).

SandyD
10-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Actually, a lot of people here were resigned to losing the team even before Katrina. I don't really expect the Hornets back either. The VooDoo basically disbanded.

Only the Zephyrs seem to survive. Maybe. As of now, they plan to open as scheduled next spring, but that could change.

The timing stinks, but I couldn't really blame Benson for moving at this point. It'll be years before New Orleans can support a team. A small market team already, now likely to be half it's size for the next few years at least.

I've read that Jefferson Parish is 90% repopulated, but I have a feeling that number will drop. My block, which received some minor flood damage, is losing about 30% of it's residents off the top. Some people who have returned are now being transferred out of the city. I heard about a law firm that cut it's staff in half, and forced the rest to take a 25% pay cut off the top. I'm sure there are going to be other stories like that coming out.

The Saints are a luxury the city can't afford right now. It would be nice if Benson could wait it out, but I can't really expect it. It's a more visible "kick in the stomach" than some, but it's not the only one, nor the last.

While I hope it doesn't happen, I won't cry when it does.

macro
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Also, a Nov. 1 opening would enable the NFL's Saints and Tulane University to play November and December home games in the Superdome.

"If everything goes well, we will have the Dome football-ready in November. The seating areas, locker rooms and press box will be ready and up to NFL standards," said Doug Thornton, regional vice president of SMG, the company that manages the facility.

The plans have been shared with the Saints and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Thornton said. He would not say what the reaction was.

So, is all of this going to keep the Saints in New Orleans or not? Even if the Superdome is in like-new condition, are there going to be any fans to come see the games? Didn't they play before an empty stadium at Baton Rouge a couple weeks ago?

Superdome could be ready for football by Nov. 1
By MARY FOSTER, AP Sports Writer

December 13, 2005

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The Superdome, heavily damaged when Hurricane Katrina hit on Aug. 29, can be repaired and ready to reopen for major football events by Nov. 1, a consultant's report says.

"The Superdome has become the most recognizable symbol of New Orleans," Tim Coulon, chairman of the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition Board, said after report from the Ellerbe Beckett architecture firm was released. "The rebuilding of the Superdome will represent the rebuilding of the city."

Repair costs are estimated at about $140 million and most of that is expected to be covered by the state's insurance and by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The renovation will include extensive improvements to the building that can be done at the time at a lower cost. The enhancements, which include adding windows to sections of the exterior, renovating and upgrading suites and meeting rooms, adding new scoreboards and entrances for suite holders, would cost an additional $42,700, but over $13,000 would be covered by repair money.

A Nov. 1 opening would allow the state-owned Dome to again host the Sugar Bowl, the annual Bayou Classic game between Southern University and Grambling State, the New Orleans Bowl and state high school championships -- lucrative games that had to be scheduled elsewhere this year.

Also, a Nov. 1 opening would enable the NFL's Saints and Tulane University to play November and December home games in the Superdome.

"If everything goes well, we will have the Dome football-ready in November. The seating areas, locker rooms and press box will be ready and up to NFL standards," said Doug Thornton, regional vice president of SMG, the company that manages the facility.

The plans have been shared with the Saints and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Thornton said. He would not say what the reaction was.

The enhancements planned would cover about 20 to 25 percent of the improvements envisioned in a massive Superdome renovation, Thornton said. He called it Phase 1, saying Phase 2 would run about $135 million more.

"We would propose Phase 2 if we had a long-term agreement with the team," Thornton said.

The Superdome's structural frame was not affected by the hurricane. The building lost 70 percent of its roof, however, which resulted in major damage as rain poured into the building.

All of the carpet, about 53,000 square yards, must be replaced, 30 percent of the drywall and 15 percent of the ceiling tiles must be replaced. Much of the upholstered furniture was damaged by water and mold, including all of the furnishings of the box suites. About 35 percent of the seats in the arena had water damage. The football turf was damaged by contaminated water and will be replaced.

Eleven of the Superdome's 38 escalators and six of the 15 elevators will be replaced. The four main scoreboards must be replaced. Two new video boards installed last season are operational, but still being tested. And the building's telephone system flooded and must be replaced.

The Superdome was used as a shelter for between 25,000 and 30,000 people following Hurricane Katrina.

There are no plans to upgrade the building as a shelter in the proposed work because there is no money for it, Thornton said. Thornton estimated such an upgrade would require raising the generator and air conditioning equipment, which nearly flooded during Katrina. That would cost between $30 and $40 million. FEMA will not pay for the work.

Officials need to make some plans for an alternative shelter, he cautioned. During hurricane season next year the Superdome will be a construction site.

"I can't imagine it being used as a shelter because of all the tools and equipment in here," Thornton said.

Updated on Tuesday, Dec 13, 20056:08 pm ES

RBA
12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
There are no plans to upgrade the building as a shelter in the proposed work because there is no money for it, Thornton said. Thornton estimated such an upgrade would require raising the generator and air conditioning equipment, which nearly flooded during Katrina. That would cost between $30 and $40 million. FEMA will not pay for the work.

I'm glad they got their priorities straight. New improvements, but no money to make it a useable shelter.

SandyD
12-15-2005, 01:40 AM
The Superdome was never meant to be a shelter. It's poorly located for that, and the Red Cross doesn't want evacuation shelters in New Orleans. They need to come up with another plan.

While I'm very doubtful that the city will be able to retain the Saints, I wouldn't use attendence in Baton Rouge as a gauge of local interest. The recent games in Baton Rouge came the day after a big LSU game, IIRC. And people are scattered all over the place. And those that are here are still trying to pick up the pieces.

macro
09-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Given the festitivities of MNF tonight, I just couldn't resist bringing this thread back for one last look.

traderumor
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Given the festitivities of MNF tonight, I just couldn't resist bringing this thread back for one last look.You mean there might have been some misinformation out there? :evil:

Unassisted
09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Given the festitivities of MNF tonight, I just couldn't resist bringing this thread back for one last look.

There's still speculation here that Benson will be looking to move the team to San Antonio after the season. Those people who bought up all of the remaining Saints tickets for this season's home games aren't helping his case.