PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Reform Measure

Rojo
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Reform Ohio Now (http://www.reformohionow.org/)

Here's the Plan:
Ohio has always been a great state, but times are tough. Ohio leads the country in job losses, and young people are leaving in droves. Our capitol is racked by numerous scandals, and elected officials still pander to big donors and ignore working people.

But now there's something we can do about it.

Reform Ohio Now is supporting four amendments on the ballot this November - real, common-sense reforms to take our state back from the politicians who have failed us.

Reform Ohio Now, a non-partisan group, will fix Ohio's electoral process and hold politicians accountable by taking big money out of state campaigns, by removing politicians from the process of drawing their own districts, by allowing Ohioans to vote by mail, and by setting up an impartial, bipartisan board to oversee elections. But we can't do it without your help. So get involved today and get Ohio back on track.

"Anybody who relishes democracy and who sees elections as the heart of the democratic process ought to see the appeal of this reform... It would return control of democracy to people near the political center... Political advocates always say that the changes they favor are non-partisan... It's true about this honest effort." -Dayton Daily News

"No congressional district should be safe because of the way it is drawn. It should be safe because the congressman represents the interests of the people in that district." -Ronald Reagan

smith288
09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Reform Ohio Now, a non-partisan group

No such thing, no offense.

Rojo
09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
No such thing, no offense.

Strickly speaking it is non-partisan because its mission isn't strickly partisan. However, your right in the broader sense, it is a coalition of labor/Democrats/progressive groups.

But judge it on what they're trying to do: make it easier to vote, eliminate gerrymandering and limit donations to candidates.

REDREAD
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the site. It's a bit disorganized though.. Have they gotten these amendments on the ballot, or are they still fighting to? I assume the latter.

Redsfaithful
09-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the site. It's a bit disorganized though.. Have they gotten these amendments on the ballot, or are they still fighting to? I assume the latter.

The amendments are officially on the ballot, as of yesterday I think.

REDREAD
09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
The amendments are officially on the ballot, as of yesterday I think.

Thanks, I'll make sure to read up on them a bit more, but on the surface, this appears to be something worth going to the polls to vote for.