PDA

View Full Version : Short Lived T.V. Shows

alex trevino
09-11-2005, 12:33 AM
What are your favorite short lived T.V. Series?

Anyone remember "James at 15" I think it ran a year or so in the 1970's. They change the title each season (James at 16, James at 17 etc.)

Suppose if it was still on it would be "James at 43" by now. :eek:

SandyD
09-11-2005, 12:36 AM
"HIS FATHER'S THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!"

Not a favorite, exactly, but some folks remember that line around here. What was the name of that show, anyway?

Caveat Emperor
09-11-2005, 01:16 AM
By far, best "Short Lived TV Show" ever was Denis Leary's The Job, which was possibly the funniest TV show on network television for the 8 episodes or so that it was on.

Sandy -- that show was "Skin", a Fox program, and the quote was from a commercial that got played, quite literally, once per break during most baseball playoff games and NFL games on Fox for a solid month. I think Bill Simmons (sports guy on ESPN.com) dedicated an entire column to it, followed up by his column last year about the commercials for "House" on Fox that featured a similarly shouting individual yelling "YOU'RE RISKING A PATIENT'S LIFE!"

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Police Squad

In Color!

SandyD
09-11-2005, 02:27 AM
CE, I remember those promos. That phrase used to pop up in game threads on here.

The Prisoner perhaps was an interesting short-lived series.

jmcclain19
09-11-2005, 03:49 AM
I used to love the Ben Stiller Show on MTV

GAC
09-11-2005, 07:00 AM
My Mother The Car starring Jerry Van Dyke (who by the way turned down the role of Gilligan to take this show :lol: )

RANDY IN INDY
09-11-2005, 08:51 AM
I really enjoyed the short lived show, "Call to Glory."

SandyD
09-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Alfred suggests Captain Nice

Yachtzee
09-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Sledgehammer
The Tick
The Baseball Bunch
Space: Above and Beyond

cincinnati chili
09-11-2005, 09:31 AM
The Baseball Bunch

According to imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355065/) and jumptheshark.com (http://jumptheshark.com/b/baseballbunch.htm), this show played for 4 seasons. However, strangely enough, the two sources don't agree on WHICH four years it was on.

And guess what's coming in 2006?

A new version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446520/) of the baseball bunch starring Harold REynolds and the Philly Phanatic.

Any guess as to who is playing the dugout "wizard?"

Edskin
09-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Austin Stories on MTV. I believe there were only 10 episodes or so, but I thought it was incredibly smart and funny-- honestly, probably too much so for MTV :(

cincinnati chili
09-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Freaks and Geeks

There were only something like 14 episodes. It's out on DVD, IIRC. If you've never seen it, put it on your netflix (etc.) lists. I've watched this show with people of all generations (my mother-in-law actually got me into it), and it touches just about everyone.

Dan
09-11-2005, 09:42 AM
If by "short lived" you mean 1-3 seasons, then Sports Night has to be in there.

If by "short lived" you mean just a few episodes, then Police Squad! In Color, which I still believe is the funniest show in the history of TV.

macro
09-11-2005, 09:43 AM
George Carlin had a sitcom (on Fox?) a few years ago that was really good, but it didn't make it. Maybe the masses didn't get Carlin's brand of humor?

RFS62
09-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Chris Elliot's show

Edskin
09-11-2005, 09:47 AM
BTW, I don't know if "The Office" is going to make it, but man, it is hilarious!!

RBA
09-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Edit: These aren't my favorites. Some are, most aren't.

Joanie Loves Chachii
The White Shadow -- 3 seasons
Angie
That's My Bush
Gloria
Archie Bunker's Place
Phyllis MTM spinoff
Joey - I hope
The Brady Brides
The Brady Bunch Comedy Hour
After Mash
Planet of the Apes - The Series

Chip R
09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
And guess what's coming in 2006?

A new version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446520/) of the baseball bunch starring Harold REynolds and the Philly Phanatic.

Any guess as to who is playing the dugout "wizard?"
Bob Boone? ;)

paintmered
09-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Trigger Happy TV.

Comedy Central needs to bring it back.

ochre
09-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Boone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084989/)?

I remember this show. My dad really liked it. I think it lasted 1 season.

ochre
09-11-2005, 11:24 AM
How many seasons did farscape last?

Redsfaithful
09-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Freaks and Geeks

There were only something like 14 episodes. It's out on DVD, IIRC. If you've never seen it, put it on your netflix (etc.) lists. I've watched this show with people of all generations (my mother-in-law actually got me into it), and it touches just about everyone.

So, so good.

Also, My So Called Life.

And Undeclared, which was by the creators of Freaks and Geeks.

I hate watching TV. It's a given that if I like something it won't last more than a season.

Unassisted
09-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to point out another thread from May with some great examples of shows that were "canceled too soon."

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34738

Unassisted
09-11-2005, 12:28 PM
{edit} Never mind... I'll delete my repost of info posted earlier in the thread.

missionhockey21
09-11-2005, 01:27 PM
BTW, I don't know if "The Office" is going to make it, but man, it is hilarious!!
I really think that "The Office" will make it here. NBC is really pushing for it's success (I think they're getting a little tired of their usual comedies that all play by the same rules.) And with the success of "The 40 Year Old Virgin" I imagine that will help a good deal in bringing new viewers in to watch Steve Carrell.

BTW, I am a big fan of it too. :thumbup:

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 02:17 PM
3 Seasons or less? then obviously Star Trek :D

Caveat Emperor
09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Space: Above and Beyond

If you liked Space: Above and Beyond, then definately check out the new Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi. They're releasing the first season + miniseries box set on DVD here in a few weeks.

In my not-so-humble opinion, it's the best written show on television, something I thought I'd never say so long as the West Wing was still producing episodes.

Falls City Beer
09-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Mr. Show.

They had one more good season left in them I'm sure.

I'm wracking my brain; I literally can't think of another.

RedsBaron
09-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Police Squad would top my list of very short lived shows that died too soon.
I enjoyed a lawyer show called Rosetti & Ryan on NBC that only lasted about 6 episodes back in the late 1970s.
Spenser For Hire lased three seasons but should've gone on longer.

pahster
09-11-2005, 09:28 PM
I'd say Firefly (I'm really looking forward to the movie which is coming out on the 30th), Sports Night, Family Guy (which is finally back), Space: Above and Beyond, and Police Squad!

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Futurama

Damn Fox :rant:

marcshoe
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Shannon's Deal. 14-episode series with a pilot by John Sayles starring Jamey Sheridan as a lawyer who had hit bottom because of a gambling problem, and whose goal is to never take a case to court. Show also featured Richard Edson as a heavy keeping an eye on Shannon for his loan-shark boss.

REDREAD
09-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Models, Inc. :lol: Just kidding. I'm embarassed to admit I watched a few episodes. Probably the worst drama ever, although the real estate agent character was pretty hot.

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Wonderfalls

DAMN FOX :Rant:

Dead Like Me

Stupid Showtime

WVRedsFan
09-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Police Squad!
Cop Rock
Hail to the Chief

Amos Burke, Secret Agent (really dates me)

Interestingly enough, a new show is coming on about a female president this season. It's not a comedy like Hail to the Chief, but very similar.

GAC
09-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Matt Helm
Bridget Loves Bernie
Lotsa Luck (Dom Deluise)
Square Pegs (Sarah Jessica Parker plays a geek)
Joanie Loves Chachi
After M*A*S*H
The Govenor And JJ
Here Come the Brides (for all you Bobby Sherman fans)
That's My Mama
Buffalo Bill
Bob Newhart (the later one with Daryl, Daryl, and Daryl - luved that show!)
She's the Sheriff (really gave Suzanne Somer's career a boost LOL )
Car 54, Where Are You? (Fred and Al before they became the Munsters)

I have to admit - we watch Nick At Nite, and alot of those old shows all the time. Not much else worth watching. ;)

But with the advent of cable, and 500 stations, I'd still like to see the old 50's and 60's westerns such as Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Wagon Train, and Death Valley Days. The Hallmark channel shows Bronco every once in awhile, if you can find it.

rdiersin
09-12-2005, 09:39 AM
My vote goes to "Andy Richters rules the universe". I would second Undeclared, too.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 10:14 AM
By far, best "Short Lived TV Show" ever was Denis Leary's The Job, which was possibly the funniest TV show on network television for the 8 episodes or so that it was on.If you feel that way, then you probably love his show "Rescue Me"...one of the best shows on cable.

Roy Tucker
09-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Karen Sisco. For the life of me, I can't figure out why ABC never brought this Elmore l=Leonard-based back.

mmmmm....Carla Gugino.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Twin Peaks...good series, bad movie.

GAC
09-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Anyone remember the Invaders?

David Vincent has seen them - For him it began one lost night on a lonely country road, looking for a shortcut that he never found. It began with a closed deserted diner… and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. It begans with the landing of a craft from another galaxy..

Now, David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) knows that the invaders are here, that they have taken human form. Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun.

http://fp.culttv.plus.com/ukculttv/vidcaps/invaders/invaders1.jpg

Hap
09-12-2005, 01:57 PM
The Jackie Thomas Show -- Tom Arnold played a big, fat, obnoxious, Midwestern, working class jerk that only became famous after failing as a comedian and then marrying a famous actress.

ochre
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
The Jackie Thomas Show -- Tom Arnold played a big, fat, obnoxious, Midwestern, working class jerk that only became famous after failing as a comedian and then marrying a famous actress.

Gotta love those reality shows...

RedsFan8978
09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
The State - sketch comedy on MTV, played during the 90's, I believe, about 1-2 seasons: Michael Ian Black and a lot of other well-known comed-show writers (from Seinfeld, etc.) Buy it if you can find it, it's great!

IowaRed
09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
"Square Pegs" was great, any show with Devo as the band at a high school dance is a winner with me. Also, I loved Land of the Giants as a kid, that lasted 2 seasons. Chris Elliot's "Get a Life" was very funny and I actually liked "That 80's Show" but I've never found anybody else who did

GAC
09-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Also, I loved Land of the Giants as a kid, that lasted 2 seasons.

That Irwin Allen was something else wasn't he? I loved Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel, and Lost In Space.

flyer85
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I can't believe nobody mentioned Gilligan's Island

Heath
09-12-2005, 04:00 PM
mmmmm....Carla Gugino.

You are welcome.

EDITORS NOTE-Carla's Google Image search is extremely PG13..

http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/0/09153c432d.jpg

Roy Tucker
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Mel Brooks' "When Things Were Rotten".

Big Donkey
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I've been hoping like crazy that I wouldn't have to include "Arrested Development" at some point on a list like this, but luckily, despite fairly low ratings, the people at FOX have shown somewhat of a brain scan the last two seasons, and have renewed it for now a third season. FOX has been somewhat notorious for axing promising shows early due to bad ratings, while simultaneously trotting out the worst of the worst in "reality programming". Here's hoping Arrested gets improved ratings on a new night, and keeps on.

missionhockey21
09-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I've been hoping like crazy that I wouldn't have to include "Arrested Development" at some point on a list like this, but luckily, despite fairly low ratings, the people at FOX have shown somewhat of a brain scan the last two seasons, and have renewed it for now a third season. FOX has been somewhat notorious for axing promising shows early due to bad ratings, while simultaneously trotting out the worst of the worst in "reality programming". Here's hoping Arrested gets improved ratings on a new night, and keeps on.
Right on man. AD really has the potential that few comedies today have of being one of those longstanding just timeless classics. The humor is so lowbrow, yet clever at the same time. The casting and the guest stars are casted to near PERFECTION. Ron Howard as the narrator just ties it all together (without him, the show would be quite different I believe.) Not to mention it's one of the few shows that tie so much into a joke, you begin to seek the hidden humor in scenes, and some of it you don't know if you're reading into too much or if the writers are just that damn clever. I can't wait to pick up season 2.

Another show for the list though: Clerks The Animated Series. Totally different from Smith's classic flick, but that was just part of the genius with it. It was over the top, had tremendous flashbacks and movie references that really put the ones Family Guy uses to shame (at least with the way it was executed), it didn't take itself serious at all and it only lasted two episodes. Well, 6 were completed but ABC only showed two (which were out of order) and never really gave it a chance. There was a Super Bowl promo and then we finally saw it on in the summer.... where most shows go to die. Ugh. I am really hoping since over the years Clerks and other Kevin Smith flicks have gained in popularity that when the sequel to Clerks is released and hopefully has success... we can see Comedy Central or something pick Clerks back up.

Unassisted
09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Arrested Development is a headscratcher to me. I came to it liking most of the actors. I like most everything else Ron Howard has ever done. I respect the decision of not using a laugh track. I just don't find this show funny.

OTOH, I haven't found a sitcom I like since the early 80's, so maybe I'm just too far removed from the target audience.

To get my post back on-topic I'll throw in last season's "Jack and Bobby" as a show I liked that was cancelled too soon.

Larkin Fan
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Don't really have anything to add other than the fact that Carla Gugino is a total babe.

Cedric
09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
I don't know how long this show lasted, but I loved "The Young One's" is the best show I've ever watched and it was on bbc and mtv for a few years. If anyone remembers it I think they will agree.

GAC
09-13-2005, 08:18 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned Gilligan's Island

Because it's the show, like the Brady Bunch, that really isn't short-lived, but that it just won't die!

Reality show - Rescue From Gilligan's island? What's next? :lol:

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't know how long this show lasted, but I loved "The Young One's" is the best show I've ever watched and it was on bbc and mtv for a few years. If anyone remembers it I think they will agree.

That was a great show. Rick the activist, Neil the hippie, Vivian the metalhead, and Mike the cool one.

I loved the one where they found Buddy Holly trapped hanging upside down from a parachute in their bedroom -- he had been living there for 30 years eating bugs.

missionhockey21
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
The State - sketch comedy on MTV, played during the 90's, I believe, about 1-2 seasons: Michael Ian Black and a lot of other well-known comed-show writers (from Seinfeld, etc.) Buy it if you can find it, it's great!
The State was another great show. I am really surprised that MTV never occasionally airs it or shows like a mini marathon late at night but when you have the "quality" shows that they have... it's hard to schedule it in I imagine. :rolleyes:

Black, Showalter & Wain from The State have a new show on Comedy Central called Stella which is quite hilarious. You should check that out if you haven't caught it yet.

Big Donkey
09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
The State was another great show. I am really surprised that MTV never occasionally airs it or shows like a mini marathon late at night but when you have the "quality" shows that they have... it's hard to schedule it in I imagine. :rolleyes:

Black, Showalter & Wain from The State have a new show on Comedy Central called Stella which is quite hilarious. You should check that out if you haven't caught it yet.

Agreed on both counts... once in a great while MTV brings back "oldies but goodies", or at least some older and forgotten shows, for mini-marathons, but they usually only find their way on MTV2, which still isn't available in a lot of basic cable households (my own being one). I am with you on Stella, too. I thought it might be good just based on their reputations, but I didn't really know what to think of it going by the odd but very ubiquitous promos Comedy Central ran for it leading up to the debut. They really hyped it up, but it's definitely good stuff, one of the more quality comedies that's come out in some time.

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Gotta disagree on "Stella." It has moments, but too often it's weird just for weird's sake, like when the guys start rolling on the floor and meowing like cats.

marcshoe
09-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned (may have missed it), but the funniest show ever made, Fawlty Towers, only aired twelve episodes.

flyer85
09-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Because it's the show, like the Brady Bunch, that really isn't short-lived, but that it just won't die!

Reality show - Rescue From Gilligan's island? What's next? :lol:Gilligan only made it two seasons.

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 10:23 PM
the reruns make it seem like longer

redsfanmia
09-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Reno 911 has about half the cast of The State and I think its the funniest show on televison right now. I really dont remember Micheal Ian Black being on The State but I could be wrong.
The Young Ones was great my favorite episode was called Bored, Bored, Bored. Vivian got so bored he started eating the televison. I loved the way Vivian (who wasnt a metalhead, he was an anarchist/punk) intruced his roommates "this is Mike he is a friend, this is Neal he is a friend, and this is pRick he is a complete bastard".

LoganBuck
09-14-2005, 05:08 PM
The Boys of Twilight- Wilford Brimley riding a horse. You can't beat that.

Birds of Prey
Futurama
Chappelle's Show

Cedric
09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Michael Ian Black was on the state. "I wanna dip my balls in it!"

RedsBaron
09-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Gilligan only made it two seasons.
Gilligan's Island was broadcast for three seasons, with the first telecast being 9/26/64 and the final telecast being 9/4/67.

Johnny Footstool
09-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Members of "The State" (Kerry Kinney, Thomas Lennon, and Michael Ian Black) were also in a great show called "Viva Variety" on Comedy Central. They starred as 3 European variety show hosts -- Michael Ian Black was "Johnny Bluejeans." The first season was filmed in a studio and was edgy and hilarious. For the second season, they took the show to Vegas and performed in a theatre. The comedy was watered down to be more "family friendly," and the show was cancelled.

Tony Cloninger
09-15-2005, 04:37 PM
The Ben Stiller show for sure....... "Ask Charles Manson" skit was so funny to me.

I miss MST 3000....even though it was not short lived...i could not get enough of that show.

GAC
09-16-2005, 08:49 AM
What show (short-lived too, and I liked it), was a spin-off from a Home Improvement episode?

Chip R
09-16-2005, 10:00 AM
What show (short-lived too, and I liked it), was a spin-off from a Home Improvement episode?Soul Man with Dan Akyroyd?

GAC
09-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Yep

GAC
09-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Men Behaving Badly with Rob Schnieder

savafan
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Many of these are now available on DVD (see www.tvshowsondvd.com)

I'm excited to see the Dark Shadows Revival series getting a DVD release on October 18!

rdiersin
09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
The Vicar of Dibley, only had 3 short seasons. Some of those are really good.

Hap
09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
It's Your Move with Jason Bateman was very funny for a while. The mom and the sister were scorchingly hot.

registerthis
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Trigger Happy TV.

Comedy Central needs to bring it back.Hear, hear.

Only, I thought it was better when only DOm Jolly was doing it...I swear, when he walked up to the couple in the street and started playing the bagpipes, I laughed about as hard as I ever have at anything in my life.

it seemed to go downhill when they brought the--mostly unfunny--American actors in to do the skits.

However, I'll always snicker when I hear the Nokia ring tone go off somewhere:

"HELLO!!! WHAT??? NO, I'M IN A LIBRARY....A LIBRARY!!! OK, CIAO!!!!"

registerthis
09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
BTW-

Does anyone else remember "Helltown", featuring Robert Blake as a priest? I never saw any episodes, but I'm having a difficult time imagining a more mismatched character than Robert Blake and a priest.

LincolnparkRed
09-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I was a big fan of "Parker Lewis can't lose" It was a weekly ripoff of Ferris Bueller's day off but at 13 it was pretty entertaining.

marcshoe
09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr. with Bruce Campbell. Nothing like a Science fiction/western/comedy.

TeamCasey
09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Tracey Ullman
Judging Amy

marcshoe
09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Isn't Judging Amy still on?

TeamCasey
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Isn't Judging Amy still on?

Cancelled last season.

GAC
09-23-2005, 05:26 AM
BTW-

Does anyone else remember "Helltown", featuring Robert Blake as a priest? I never saw any episodes, but I'm having a difficult time imagining a more mismatched character than Robert Blake and a priest.

Have a hard time seeing him as Mickey too. The Little Rascal became an even bigger one. ;)

http://www.thelittlerascals.net/RobertMickey.jpg

registerthis
09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Have a hard time seeing him as Mickey too. The Little Rascal became an even bigger one. ;)

http://www.thelittlerascals.net/RobertMickey.jpgWhoah.

That is so...WEIRD.

savafan
09-23-2005, 12:27 PM
The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr. with Bruce Campbell. Nothing like a Science fiction/western/comedy.

Excellent choice. Campbell's show Jack of All Trades (I believe that's what it was called) was also really good and really short.

I also liked the comedy Titus with Christopher Titus and Stacy Keach. I believe it only lasted two seasons.

TRF
09-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Space: Above and Beyond was released this month on DVD.

oo rah.

I am loving the re-runs of Firefly on Scifi.

I liked Space 1999 as a kid.

as for comedies, the first season of Ned and Stacy were incomparable. 2nd season was so-so. (lasted 2 seasons)

TeamCasey
09-23-2005, 05:38 PM
American Gothic

savafan
09-23-2005, 07:00 PM
American Gothic

Excellent show! Gary Cole was creepy as Sheriff Buck.

I'd also like to throw out Wolf Lake. I really wish it would have lasted long enough for some sort of conclusion.

TeamCasey
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Excellent show! Gary Cole was creepy as Sheriff Buck.

How about the kid? Caleb, I think. Awesome kid actor. He was in Sling Blade too. I was so mad that they dumped that show without ending it.

Dom Heffner
09-23-2005, 07:06 PM
You can't have a thread like this and not bring up these classics:

Manimal

Baa-Baa Black Sheep

The dark days of NBC.... :)

savafan
09-23-2005, 07:07 PM
How about the kid? Caleb, I think. Awesome kid actor. He was in Sling Blade too. I was so mad that they dumped that show without ending it.

Lucas Black

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/77/30/58m.jpg

He was also in the X-Files movie.

marcshoe
09-23-2005, 08:59 PM
"There's someone at the door."