PDA

View Full Version : T.V. Shows that went on FAR TOO LONG

RBA
09-11-2005, 03:28 PM
How about some favorite T.V. shows that went on far too long.

M*A*S*H* -- It was still funny and made you think. But how long was the Korean War. The troops in Iraq do 18 months, the "actors" in MASH did 9 plus years.

GAC
09-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Huh?

redsfanmia
09-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Friends was very painful to watch the last 2 or 3 years it was on.

Caveat Emperor
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
King of the Hill definately tops the list for me.

It's, quite literally, the only "comedy" I've ever seen where I can go a full half hour without even chuckling. I mean, heck...you've got to TRY to make something I don't find funny at some point, even unintentionally.

Reds4Life
09-11-2005, 05:21 PM
NYPD Blue. After Jimmy Smits left the show was in steady decline, it should have ended 2-3 years before it did.

Falls City Beer
09-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I'd contend that 99% of all television shows go on too long. We remember the few good ones as the ones that didn't wear out their welcome. TV is lousy with pilot-episode sharkjumps.

RedsBaron
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Rare indeed is a TV series that remained strong for its entire run. I thought that Star Trek: The Next Generation and Cheers were two shows that were still first quality even at the end of their runs. One show that I thought went on painfully too long was Dallas-I found it genuinely amusing in its first couple of seasons, but oh how it went on far, far too long.

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 05:47 PM
The Simpsons, about 10 years too long.
Friends
Red Dwarf did not need series 7 or 8
Seinfeld was on its way

George Foster
09-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I think the show that wins this award has to be Happy Days. Fonzie looked about 45 or 50 during the last season. Richie was going bald, so he quit. Joanie was about 40 pounds overweight. It was sad. Can you name the 3 spin-off shows from Happy Days?

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Laverne and Shirley
Joanie Loves Chache
Mork and Mindy

:D

redsfanmia
09-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Can anyone name the three spin-off shows from All in the Family?

RBA
09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Archie Bunker's Place
The Jeffersons
Gloria
Maude

RBA
09-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Can anyone name a spinoff of Maude?

TeamCasey
09-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Good Times!

DynOmite!

TeamCasey
09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm going to get shot for this, but I think the XFiles went too long.

Loved the show, but it jumped the shark.

KronoRed
09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Agreed TC, that show was downright bad later on.

cincinnati chili
09-11-2005, 07:11 PM

It's, quite literally, the only "comedy" I've ever seen where I can go a full half hour without even chuckling. I mean, heck...you've got to TRY to make something I don't find funny at some point, even unintentionally.

Haven't really watched the show in a few years (that law school/grad school thing). Did you ever like it? At one time I thought it was hilarious.

pedro
09-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I still love King of the Hill. I know some folks don't like it though.

Unassisted
09-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Cheers

For a more contemporary example, I think ER is heading into this category, but the writing is why I still watch. I'm not wild about anyone in the current cast.

How about Monday Night Football? Obviously, ABC or the NFL thinks it has gone on long enough. I think it lost a lot of steam way back when Howard Cosell retired, although I won't argue that it was time for him to go.

RedsBaron
09-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Cheers

For a more contemporary example, I think ER is heading into this category, but the writing is why I still watch. I'm not wild about anyone in the current cast.

How about Monday Night Football? Obviously, ABC or the NFL thinks it has gone on long enough. I think it lost a lot of steam way back when Howard Cosell retired, although I won't argue that it was time for him to go.
Monday Night Football could never again be the "event" that it was in the 1970s, before cable TV. There were a lot fewer football highlights, and pro games, available back in the days of only three TV networks.

RANDY IN INDY
09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Monday Night Football could never again be the "event" that it was in the 1970s, before cable TV. There were a lot fewer football highlights, and pro games, available back in the days of only three TV networks.

Amen.

WMR
09-11-2005, 09:07 PM
CarEx Mechanics Tools of the Game with Chris Welsch

After the first episode, it had gone on too long.

REDREAD
09-11-2005, 11:08 PM

The first season was pretty funny. Then I think they got a long contract and it really turned wierd and boring. I can't believe it's had such a long run. I even saw it syndicated in Germany.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Cheers

How about Monday Night Football? Obviously, ABC or the NFL thinks it has gone on long enough. I think it lost a lot of steam way back when Howard Cosell retired, although I won't argue that it was time for him to go.I agree with you about ER..about five year ago. Cheers--I could have watched another three seasons of when it went off the air.

Other shows that were painful to watch in their last few years:

Mad About You
Frasier

Hap
09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey, I did this thread a few months ago. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34794)

RedsBaron
09-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey, I did this thread a few months ago. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34794)
Not only did you do this thread a few months ago, when I looked at the earlier thread I discovered I had mentioned three shows that ran too long: M*A*S*H, Dallas and Cheers. If you check my earlier post in this thread, I mentioned Cheers as a show that stayed as a quality show-so much for me being consistent! ;) I now agree with my more recent post in this thread.

Cedric
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
King of the Hill is brilliant, love it. I don't watch sitcoms or any show regularly though.

GAC
09-15-2005, 04:47 AM
The Andy Griffith Show. Once Barney, Floyd, Gomer, and Thelma Lou left - and were replaced with new deputy Warren Ferguson, along with Emmett Clark, Howard Sprague, and Goober Pyle, the show went into the toilet, but managed to carry on for three more years.

Plus, it wasn't as good in color. :lol:

All In The Family was another one. Just read that Carrol O'Conner once auditioned, and was passed over, for the part of Skipper on Gillgan's Island.

alex trevino
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM

I may be wrong but I think Andrian Barbou had a short lived spin off.

The mother of all spin offs was the mary Tler Moore Show

1. Rhoda
2. Phyllis
3. Lou Grant
4. The Ted Knight show
5. The Betty White Show

And although it wasn't technically a spin off the "Maury" character landed the job as captain of the "Love Boat".

I think the only charcter not to get a spin off was "Georgette" Ted Knight's wacky girlfriend, although she did show up on "Everyone Loves Raymond" a few times.

Shows that over stayed their welcome include

1. Andy Griffith/ Mayberry RFD - After Don Knotts left the show went down hill fast. Remember the color version? Just awful.

2. Murphy Brown

3. The different incarnations of the Lucille Ball Show (not I love Lucy)

Tony Cloninger
09-15-2005, 04:27 PM
I think even my favorite of all time.....Law and Order....has reached that point.

Best cast was with Orbahc......Benjamin Bratt.....Jill Hennessey and the rest.

The next assistant DA was good...but after that....it went down.

BoydsOfSummer
09-15-2005, 09:23 PM
B.J. and the Bear. Jumped the shark episode one.

redsrule2500
09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
B.J. and the Bear. Jumped the shark episode one.

That makes no sense, you can't jump the shark first eps.

This thread should be about shows that stayed good until the end, because almost every show goes bad before they cancel it. It only makes sense to juice it for all it's worth. The Wonder Years comes to mind when thinking about strong to the end shows.

dsmith421
09-16-2005, 12:44 AM

I have to totally disagree. I have always found King of the Hill to be one of the most consistently funny shows on television, and it holds up in reruns even better than latter-day Simpsons.

I fully concede, though, that the show is not for everyone. Mike Judge is not for everyone. But the way he constructs certain characters--Dale, Boomhauer, the completely loathsome Peggy--is just genius, in my opinion.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 12:48 AM
I have to totally disagree. I have always found King of the Hill to be one of the most consistently funny shows on television, and it holds up in reruns even better than latter-day Simpsons.

I fully concede, though, that the show is not for everyone. Mike Judge is not for everyone. But the way he constructs certain characters--Dale, Boomhauer, the completely loathsome Peggy--is just genius, in my opinion.

Agree as well, Bobby Hill is one of the best understated cartoon characters of all time.

Falls City Beer
09-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Agree as well, Bobby Hill is one of the best understated cartoon characters of all time.

Both the Simpsons and King of the Hill have been infected with the Fox family values virus that they introduced into their programming about six years ago. Both shows, though, used to be great, scathing (if understated) satire of American sentimentality. Now they're just sentimental.

But two words: "Bart's People."

GAC
09-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Aren't these divisions of Fox competely separate from one another? It seems to me that Fox shows both to appeal to a wider audience.

These are the people who brought us Married With Children. ;)

westofyou
09-16-2005, 10:56 AM
These are the people who brought us Married With Children.

Sometimes you use dirty boots to kick in the door, but oce you get in you put on slippers. It's hard to compare early Fox to the Fox of today.

GAC
09-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Sometimes you use dirty boots to kick in the door, but oce you get in you put on slippers. It's hard to compare early Fox to the Fox of today.

You may be right. I really don't watch Fox. I'm more of a TBS and Nick at Nite kind of guy. ;)

redsrule2500
09-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Too bad nick at nite sucks now

Red Leader
09-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I think ER has gone on wayyyy too long. I mean, with all that happens in hospitals, you technically could do the show forever, but I'm hoping that they don't try. Seems like they are.

KronoRed
09-17-2005, 05:46 PM
ER should have been canceled 5 years ago.

Some shows just get ratings cause people just tune in because they are used to it, even if the show is bad.

The Simpsons is the same.

redsfanmia
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
The Simpsons have gone down hill and I stopped watching ER about the time that George Clooney left. I agree that people tune into shows out of habit because i have done and still do it, i still watch the simpsons every sunday and i cant remember the last time I laughed while doing it.