PDA

View Full Version : UK Hall of Fame Weekend Photo Gallery

WMR
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Hall of Fame Weekend Photo Gallery

09/12/2005
All 88 individuals who have previously had their jersey retired at Kentucky became inducted into the newly created UK Athletics Hall of Fame this weekend. The inductees were treated to a dinner at the Marriott Griffen Gate and were honored at halftime of the Kentucky/Idaho State football game on Saturday. Click here for more information on the UK Athletics Hall of Fame.

Follow this link for some thumbnails of the evening. Lots of old timers.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=1&url_article_id=16172&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

cumberlandreds
09-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for posting! That looked like a great weekend for all UK fans.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
At halftime of the game Saturday, they brought all of the HOFers on the field and introduced them individually. Notably absent was Jack Givens. Does that mean that he was not one of the 88 members, or does it mean that the university decided that the timing was a little "iffy" for him to be trotted out before the UK fans? Anyone?

Edit: Just checked the HOF website. Goose has already had his jersey retired; thus is also one of the HOF members. So, I guess that either they (UK) or he (Goose) did not think it was a good idea for him to wave to 65,000 fans on Saturday immediately subsequent to a nasty little child molestation trial. Go figure.

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
hmmmm, good question. Is his # retired?

If so, he was definitely inducted into the HoF.

Supposedly all 88 UK alum who've had their #'s retired were enshrined in uk HoF.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:11 PM
hmmmm, good question. Is his # retired?

If so, he was definitely inducted into the HoF.

Supposedly all 88 UK alum who've had their #'s retired were enshrined in uk HoF.Wily...see my edited post.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Here's the list:

UK Athletics Hall of Fame Charter Class (88)

Member (Sport, Years)
George Adams (FB 1981-84)
Ermal Allen (FB 1939-41)
Sam Ball (FB 1963-65)
Cliff Barker (MBB 1947-49)
Ralph Beard (MBB 1946-49)
Calvin Bird (FB 1958-60)
Jerry Bird (MBB 1954-56)
Rodger Bird (FB 1963-65)
George Blanda (FB 1945-48)
Sam Bowie (MBB 1980-81, ‘84)
Paul “Bear” Bryant (FB Coach 1946-53)
Warren Bryant (FB 1974-76)
Bob Burrow (MBB 1955-56)
Burgess Carey (MBB 1925-26)
Jerry Claiborne (FB Coach 1982-89)
Blanton Collier (FB Coach 1954-61)
Sonny Collins (FB 1972-75)
Ray Correll (FB 1951-53)
Tim Couch (FB 1996-98)
Johnny Cox (MBB 1957-59)
Louie Dampier (MBB 1965-67)
Bob Davis (FB 1935-37)
Dermontti Dawson (FB 1984-87)
John “Frenchy” DeMoisey (MBB 1932-34)
Billy Evans (MBB 1952, ‘54-55)
Richie Farmer (MBB 1989-92)
Joe Federspiel (FB 1969-71)
Deron Feldhaus (MBB 1989-92)
Bob Gain (FB 1947-50)
Jack Givens (MBB 1975-78)
Irv Goode (FB 1959-61)
Phil Grawemeyer (MBB 1954-56)
Kevin Grevey (MBB 1973-75)
Alex Groza (MBB 1945, ‘47-49)
Cliff Hagan (MBB 1951-52, ’54)
Joe B. Hall (MBB Coach 1973-85)
Vernon Hatton (MBB 1956-58)
Basil Hayden (MBB 1920-22)
Mark Higgs (FB 1984-87)
Tom Hutchinson (FB 1960-62)
Dan Issel (MBB 1968-70)
Clyde Johnson (FB 1940-42)
Wah Wah Jones (MBB 1946-49, FB 1945-48)
Bill Keightley (Equipment Mgr. 1962-present)
John “Shipwreck” Kelly (FB 1929-31)
Ralph Kercheval (FB 1931-33)
Rick Kestner (FB 1963-65)
Jim Kovach (FB 1974-76, ‘78)
Cawood Ledford (Broadcaster 1953-92)
Dicky Lyons (FB 1966-68)
Kyle Macy (MBB 1978-80)
Keith Madison (BB Coach 1979-2003)
Jamal Mashburn (MBB 1991-93)
Charlie McClendon (FB 1949-50)
Steve Meilinger (FB 1951-52-53)
Lou Michaels (FB 1955-56-57)
Doug Moseley (FB 1949-51)
Cotton Nash (MBB 1962-64)
Rick Norton (FB 1963-65)
Rick Nuzum (FB 1972-74)
Vito “Babe” Parilli (FB 1949-51)
John Pelphrey (MBB 1989-92)
Rick Pitino (MBB Coach 1990-97)
Derrick Ramsey (FB 1975-77)
Frank Ramsey (MBB 1951-52, ‘54)
Jay Rhodemyre (FB 1942, ‘46-47)
Pat Riley (MBB 1965-67)
Rick Robey (MBB 1975-78)
Dave Roller (FB 1968-70)
Kenny Rollins (MBB 1943, ‘47-48)
Gayle Rose (MBB 1952, ’54-55)
Layton “Mickey” Rouse (MBB 1938-40)
Adolph Rupp (MBB Coach 1931-72)
Forest “Aggie” Sale (MBB 1931-33)
Howard Schnellenberger (FB 1952-55)
Larry Seiple (FB 1964-66)
Washington “Wash” Serini (FB 1944-47)
Bernie Shively (AD ‘38-67, FB Coach 1945)
Carey Spicer (MBB (1929-31)
Bill Spivey (MBB 1950-51)
Art Still (FB 1974-77)
Valerie Still (WBB 1980-83)
Lou Tsioropoulos (MBB 1951-54)
Herschel Turner (FB 1961-63)
Harry Ulinski (FB 1946-49)
Jeff Van Note (FB 1966-68)
Kenny Walker (MBB 1983-86)
Sean Woods (MBB 1990-92)

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:13 PM
At halftime of the game Saturday, they brought all of the HOFers on the field and introduced them individually. Notably absent was Jack Givens. Does that mean that he was not one of the 88 members, or does it mean that the university decided that the timing was a little "iffy" for him to be trotted out before the UK fans? Anyone?

Edit: Just checked the HOF website. Goose has already had his jersey retired; thus is also one of the HOF members. So, I guess that either they (UK) or he (Goose) did not think it was a good idea for him to wave to 65,000 fans on Saturday immediately subsequent to a nasty little child molestation trial. Go figure.

Hmmm, what's that they say about discretion being the better part of valor?

Big Donkey
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm sure glad this weekend's hall of fame ceremonies went better considering the accompanying football game. Remember last year's Ohio University debacle?! :eek:

Blimpie
Wily: I know that this is off-topic, but it's your thread so....

What do you think about the charges and/or his acquittal? Personally, I think he did it.

WMR
Hey blimpie, did you know that you can listen to all UK athletic events on the UK website? Living in Cleveland, I figured I would go bonkers missing any UK bball, but with the announced schedule--I can't BELIEVE how many national telecasts we have this year!!--combined with being able to catch any other games on UK Radio via Web, I'm pretty relieved. :)

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey blimpie, did you know that you can listen to all UK athletic events on the UK website? Living in Cleveland, I figured I would go bonkers missing any UK bball, but with the announced schedule--I can't BELIEVE how many national telecasts we have this year!!--combined with being able to catch any other games on UK Radio via Web, I'm pretty relieved. :)I haven't seen the "media" schedule--just the dates/times of the games...but somebody told me that there will be absolutely ZERO taped delay games this year. Every game will be shown live (in LEX anyway) :beerme:

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Wily: I know that this is off-topic, but it's your thread so WTF....

What do you think about the charges and/or his acquittal? Personally, I think he did it.

-- GIVENS' FRIEND: "There's No Way It Could Be True"
SPEAKING OUT: Givens Responds To Sex Assault Accusations

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A face and voice of the Orlando Magic, Jack Givens, is denying accusations that he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl. But detectives say their case is strong.

Channel 9 has learned some of the strongest evidence against Givens was found on a computer confiscated from his home late Monday night.

The official charge is sexual battery and lewd molestation of a 14-year-old girl. The crime allegedly happened at the girl's home on June 18th.

Detectives say Jack Givens admitted being in the pool with the girl, even being in her bedroom, but he denied touching her inappropriately. Now detectives say they have the evidence to prove he did.

"This is a very good case," says Detective Sandy Cawn, Orange County Sheriff's Office.

It's a very bad accusation against a basketball great. The 14-year-old girl says Jack Givens sexually battered her after a private basketball lesson at her home.

"Mr. Givens realizes that now, it seems, that was probably not an appropriate thing for him to do," says Det. Cawn.

The pair finished playing ball and decided to go swimming. Detectives say Givens assaulted the girl twice in the pool. She got out and went to change clothes. It happened a third time in her bedroom. An arrest affidavit said he penetrated the girl three times with his finger and then tried to get the girl's hand and lips to touch his genitals.

"I think we probably have more evidence in this case than we've had in some other cases we've actually got convictions on," says Det. Cawn. "We've got convincing evidence the crimes did occur. There's obviously medical evidence."

There's also evidence on several computers seized from Givens' home. Detectives asked the victim to instant message him writing, "What you did, you do admit that was wrong. Am I correct?" Givens replied, "You are correct." The victim then wrote, "And you promise not to do it again?" Givens responded, "Of course."

"She's pretty frustrated he is denying. She is doing good. She's 14, you know, she's upset," says Det. Cawn.

Givens knew the girl for six months to a year. He coached in a basketball league and she played on a competing team. Detectives say the girl's story has been more consistent than his.

"All I can do is work as hard as I can for her to bring her some justice and help her," comments Det. Cawn.

Detectives say they want this case to move quickly. They hope to get it to the State Attorney's Office for review by the end of this week.

Detectives say the girl told her mother about the incident right after it happened, but her mother decided to wait to talk with the girl's father, who was out of town, before reporting it. That's why it took five days to report.

Copyright 2004 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I dunno, Blimpie, I hate to believe he would do it; but putting yourself in such an untenable position... it certainly doesn't look good for him...

You just can't put yourself in situations like that and not expect for accusations--whether true or not--to occur.

Dumb dumb dumb. Whether he did it or not,,, who knows...

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm sure glad this weekend's hall of fame ceremonies went better considering the accompanying football game. Remember last year's Ohio University debacle?! :eek:Even with the win, this weekend was even worse, if you can believe it....the amount of serious injuries sustained during the Idaho State game was absolutely mind-boggling.

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I haven't seen the "media" schedule--just the dates/times of the games...but somebody told me that there will be absolutely ZERO taped delay games this year. Every game will be shown live (in LEX anyway) :beerme:

LOL, I'm thinking of having my mom tape the games and mail 'em to me. I'll avoid all radio and television until I get the tapes!! LOL.

(BTW, my alma mater, GTown College, plays UK preseason... should be interesting! GTown always plays a few big boys each year; highly doubtful they'll win, but will be a real blast for all involved, esp. GTown)

Happy Osbourne always brings in some big time transfers who played big time college ball somewhere the previous season, so ya never know!!! ;)

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
There's also evidence on several computers seized from Givens' home. Detectives asked the victim to instant message him writing, "What you did, you do admit that was wrong. Am I correct?" Givens replied, "You are correct." The victim then wrote, "And you promise not to do it again?" Givens responded, "Of course." How, again, was he acquitted? I loved Goose, but he is absolutely guilty on this evidence alone.

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Not sure what the updated progress is for Goose's trial?

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
LOL, I'm thinking of having my mom tape the games and mail 'em to me. I'll avoid all radio and television until I get the tapes!! LOL.

(BTW, my alma mater, GTown College, plays UK preseason... should be interesting! GTown always plays a few big boys each year; highly doubtful they'll win, but will be a real blast for all involved, esp. GTown)

Happy Osbourne always brings in some big time transfers who played big time college ball somewhere the previous season, so ya never know!!! ;)I dunno, didn't EKU play the Cats pretty close a few years back? Early season = poison for Tubby's teams. UK could be ripe for the upset looking ahead to all of the monsters that they face in December.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Not sure what the updated progress is for Goose's trial?The paper Saturday said he was acquitted on all charges. Sorry, thought you had already heard.

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
well, Georgetown's total enrollment might just creep up over 1200 this year, so we are definitely growing!! ;)

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Here you go...Sorry about the thread highjack! Go CATS...

Givens acquitted
Jurors acquit former Magic analyst of all charges
Posted: Friday September 9, 2005 7:41PM; Updated: Friday September 9, 2005 7:41PM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Jurors found former Orlando Magic television color analyst Jack "Goose" Givens on Friday not guilty of sexually battering a 14-year-old girl whom he was instructing in basketball.

The jury deliberated for almost three hours before acquitting Givens of all counts.

Givens, 48, was charged last year with two counts of sexual battery, attempted sexual battery and lewd and lascivious molestation. After the verdict, Givens refused to speculate on his future as a basketball broadcaster.

"I have been humbled greatly through this experience," a teary-eyed Givens told reporters outside the courtroom. "I'm going to be a much better man because of this."

Givens had always denied the allegations, which were made days after he went over to the teen's home to coach her in basketball. After practicing outside for a half hour, Givens and the teen went swimming in the home's pool, where the teen alleged she was fondled. Later, in a bedroom, she claimed Givens tried to force her to perform oral sex, prosecutors said.

The teen and friends sobbed in court as the verdict was read, and she ran out of the courtroom as the judge polled jurors on their decision. Her family members refused to comment as they left the courtroom.

"Reasonable people disagree," said Will Jay, assistant state attorney. "Unless there is damning DNA and a videotaped confession and a nun for a victim, except for those rare exceptions, reasonable people can disagree."

In closing arguments, Givens' attorney, Michael Snure, described the former University of Kentucky basketball star as a naive, goodhearted coach who had generously volunteered his time to help the teen only to have her repay him with false allegations. He compared the prosecution to the Salem witch hunt.

"This is any adult's worst nightmare," Snure said. "In hindsight, it was very bad judgment to go over there and get in the pool, not because he's a child molester but because it opened him up to these allegations."

In his closing arguments, Jay said proof of Givens' guilt included a physical examination showing an abrasion to the teen's genitals, instant messages of apology that he sent her and secretly recorded telephone conversations between the two.

"This defendant, through a series of his own bad decisions, put himself in a situation where he thought that is what the girl wanted and he was entitled to it," Jay said.

Givens graduated from the University of Kentucky where he is remembered for scoring 41 points during the Wildcats' win over Duke in the 1978 NCAA tournament final. He was a first-round draft pick of the Atlanta Hawks later that year and played two seasons with the team, averaging 6.7 points per game.

He has worked as a broadcaster for Turner Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN

Big Donkey
09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Even with the win, this weekend was even worse, if you can believe it....the amount of serious injuries sustained during the Idaho State game was absolutely mind-boggling.

I know! What's up with ALL the injuries they've been getting... pre-season, the UL game, and now this. And with the gameplay itself... I mean, at least Ohio, while a "smaller" school to some, is in the more than respectable Mid-American Conference. Idaho State was a Division 1-AA team, and it took the Cats a little while to finally get going but at least they did. I don't care if Idaho State was Marvin Lewis' alma mater, a loss there would have been even harder to swallow this time around. :D I had some hope for UK coming off the performance against UL, but at the same time I was cautious that maybe they were throwing it all on the line for their whole season in that one game... and then it'd be back to struggles against the likes of Idaho State, Indiana and Vanderbilt. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:27 PM
The paper Saturday said he was acquitted on all charges. Sorry, thought you had already heard.

No, hadn't heard. Would be interested to read the whole background on the trial... I assume the trial was in FLA; would negate the 'Chuck Hayes Factor,' so to speak.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
I know! What's up with ALL the injuries they've been getting... pre-season, the UL game, and now this. And with the gameplay itself... I mean, at least Ohio, while a "smaller" school to some, is in the more than respectable Mid-American Conference. Idaho State was a Division 1-AA team, and it took the Cats a little while to finally get going but at least they did. I don't care if Idaho State was Marvin Lewis' alma mater, a loss there would have been even harder to swallow this time around. :D I had some hope for UK coming off the performance against UL, but at the same time I was cautious that maybe they were throwing it all on the line for their whole season in that one game... and then it'd be back to struggles against the likes of Idaho State, Indiana and Vanderbilt. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.Considering they actually trailed Idaho State with 5:29 left in the game, I would have to agree..... ;)

WMR
09-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Didn't they lose their best linebacker for the season?

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Well, at least this Saturday, we play the "Eleven-Man Get Well Card" (Indiana)....

Big Donkey
09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Considering they actually trailed Idaho State with 5:29 left in the game, I would have to agree..... ;)

Haha... I didn't wanna mention it for those who didn't know. :D

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Didn't they lose their best linebacker for the season?I believe that their waterboy is listed as "Day to Day"...read it and weep:

'Tweener team must avoid highs, lows
BUT INJURIES' TOLL MIGHT RULE SEASON
By John Clay
HERALD-LEADER SPORTS COLUMNIST

Before another motorized cart hauls away this Kentucky football season, time to toss back a couple of reality pills.

First of all, we now know Kentucky is probably not as good as that second half against Louisville when Rich Brooks' bunch stormed back from a three-touchdown deficit to scare the socks off the 12th-ranked Cardinals.

But the Cats are probably not as dreadful as they were through much of their 41-29 survival of visiting Idaho State this past Saturday.

The performance level of this young Kentucky football team is somewhere in between -- if it were not for the fact that certain Cats may show up on the season premiere of Gray's Anatomy, and not as hunky doctors.

Oh these crippled Cats. Keenan Burton is out with a broken foot. Marcus McClinton is out with a torn patella tendon. Tommy Cook is out with a dislocated kneecap. Travis Day has a broken hand. Glenn Holt and B. Jay Parsons have sprained ankles.

This was after scatback Tony Dixon and defensive tackle Lamar Mills were declared toast with torn ACLs.

"The amazing thing is how freakish some of these things are that have happened," lamented head coach Brooks yesterday.

Kentucky football invented the term freakish.

It's that constant exposure to rotten luck and rotten football that explains the average UK football fan's propensity for mood swings.

That's why after the Cats surprised nearly everyone by nearly shocking Louisville, unfettered optimism reigned.

Why former UK assistant coach, now author and radio talk-show personality, Tony Franklin opined that the school should lock up offensive coordinator Joker Phillips with a long-term contract and the promise that Phillips would be named head coach whenever Brooks decided to call it quits.

Not that Franklin is wrong, but after beating Kentucky five of the last six years, including 28-0 last year, and taking a 28-7 lead into halftime Saturday, Louisville may have contracted a case of a second-half letdown Sept. 4.

And after a week of hearing all the positive publicity about their effort against U of L, the young Cats may have acquired a case of swollen heads for their I-AA visitors Sept. 10.

"The start, as spectacular as it was, probably hurt us," said Brooks yesterday of Burton's 93-yard return of the opening kickoff and Alexis Bwenge's easy 6-yard score. "The players may have thought it was going to be easy."

Nothing is easy when you miss 29 tackles, fail to muster a pass rush, and do not respect the team you're playing.

When Idaho State took a 29-28 lead with 5:06 remaining, the joke was UK had the 5,000 service men and women from Fort Knox on hand Saturday to make sure Mitch Barnhart safely reached his car.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But if the Cats are not yet mature enough to take an inferior foe seriously, they did have enough talent to pull out the game.

"That's the good news," Brooks said.

Bottom line: A college football season is a long, hard slog, as Don Rumsfield might say. No sense getting too up or too down after a single game. Not when there's usually another game next week.

That is if you have enough healthy players to play it.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Haha... I didn't wanna mention it for those who didn't know. :DThat's okay. UK fans admitting that we have a problem is the first step to recovery...Says so on the back of the tickets , I think. :D

George Foster
09-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Hmmm, what's that they say about discretion being the better part of valor?

I have a couple of pretty good friends on the inside of the UK Althletic Dept. They said it was Goose's decision not to attend. He was invited. He was a no show this year for a 1978 reunion as well. This however was before he was found not-guilty.

I would have went and got my award, especially if I was found not guilty. i think it is more of a "story" if he avoids outings. I would say, "hey, I said I was not guilty, and a jury agreed with me, anybody can be accused of anything."

I was the equipment manager for Coach Madison, for 2 years. He was deserving of this award. It was an awsome experience being involved with an SEC team. I got to see a lot of good baseball, a lot of future major leaguer's, and every SEC campus. The best is Georgia or Ole Miss, the worse is Arkansas..no question.