PDA

View Full Version : Austin Kearns, Manchild

Garrett
09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
On the night Roger Clemens's mother passed away, he pitched a one run game, reportedly what she would have desired. What a man!
Then we have the manchild Austin Kearns. Gone for the 2nd day in a row. Reportedly to attend to "personal matters" in Lexington.
Personal matters.
A few months ago the out-of-shape manchild was demoted to the minor leagues. League rules dictate that he had 72 hours to report for duty.
The manchild sat home in Lexington the entire 72 hours rather than start the arduous journey to Louisville to begin his reconditioning process. A reconditioning process that his competitors completed last winter. What a man.
One wonders what the gravity of the "personal matters" issue that forced him to miss two games at the end of such a disappointing season.
A season he is now hitting a blistering .245.
We are Reds fans. We are used to disappointment. We are used to #1 draft choices flaming out.
Austin, you had such promise. Providence gave you the perfect baseball body and tools. Rest in Peace, while we mourn another failure.

Chip R
09-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Perhaps you had better change the title of the thread.

smith288
09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I dont agree with this simply for the fact that the Reds are out of it, we dont know what the personal matter is and we shouldnt be one to judge what is worthy of leaving the club based on that.

Sure he had a frustrating season but I dont think we can sit here and judge what he is currently experiencing as less important than baseball.

Clemens dealt with his loss by playing baseball as his mother requested...He and Austin arent the same person so I wont act like they should deal with such things the same way.

RedFanAlways1966
09-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Sure he had a frustrating season but I dont think we can sit here and judge what he is currently experiencing as less important than baseball.

Yep. We should wait until we know why before we pass any kind of judgment. That is the fair thing to do.

cumberlandreds
09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Let's reserve judgement until we find out,if we ever do, what his problems are. Like Redsfansalways1966 said,it's the fair thing to do. I hope things will be OK for him.

Unassisted
09-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I was not happy with Austin's foot-dragging after being sent down, and said as much here on the board. But it was pointed out to me at the time that Austin's father was seriously ill and he was taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with him. My guess would be that the current situation is similar. The success of the Reds is important to all of us, but family comes first.

Super_Barry11
09-15-2005, 09:05 AM
We are not Austin Kearns. We have no idea what's going on in his life, and even if we did, I don't believe we have the right to judge him or the situation. There are certain things in life more important than baseball, and if Austin has deemed his situation significant enough to return home for a few days, then all I feel that I can do as a fan is hope for the best for him. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

Chip R
09-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I don't think comparing Kearns and Clemens is appropriate. Austin is about 20 years younger than Clemens. He's single and doesn't have a family of his own. Not to mention that Clemens is a starting pitcher and didn't even have to be with the club until last night. The story I read was that Clemens spent the last couple of days with his mother. Does that make him a "manchild" in your book now?

SteelSD
09-15-2005, 09:17 AM
A few months ago the out-of-shape manchild was demoted to the minor leagues. League rules dictate that he had 72 hours to report for duty.
The manchild sat home in Lexington the entire 72 hours rather than start the arduous journey to Louisville to begin his reconditioning process. A reconditioning process that his competitors completed last winter. What a man.

Austin used those 72 hours to visit a close relative who was in the hospital in Lexington. He wasn't sitting at home playing Playstation games.

You may have done it differently, but you have no right to indict the character of a man who felt it important to tend to ill family.

Hopefully this thread will be closed soon.

Garrett
09-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Austin used those 72 hours to visit a close relative who was in the hospital in Lexington. He wasn't sitting at home playing Playstation games.

You may have done it differently, but you have no right to indict the character of a man who felt it important to tend to ill family.

Hopefully this thread will be closed soon.

You may know that, but I never saw that published anywhere. I read the papers closely. Maybe Austin needs someone to publicize the reasons for his absences.
He's being paid almost a million this year to work part time. Seems to me he could have visited a hospital in Lexington and worked in Louisville on the same day.

Blimpie
09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
On the night Roger Clemens's mother passed away, he pitched a one run game, reportedly what she would have desired. What a man!
Then we have the manchild Austin Kearns. Gone for the 2nd day in a row. Reportedly to attend to "personal matters" in Lexington.
Personal matters.
One wonders what the gravity of the "personal matters" issue that forced him to miss two games at the end of such a disappointing season.
We are Reds fans. We are used to disappointment. We are used to #1 draft choices flaming out.
Austin, you had such promise. Providence gave you the perfect baseball body and tools. Rest in Peace, while we mourn another failure.Nice of you to ramble on about an athlete's personal life based entirely upon speculation. As part of the league's CBA, players are allowed the 72 hours to report. Period. It's not for you to decide how a player should use this time period. If Austin wanted to be by his father's side following heart surgery--or if he simply wanted to rearrange his sock drawer--how does that make a difference in your life?

By the way--with his three hits last night--Adam Dunn is hitting a "blistering" .249 and is having a fine season IMO....or do you consider Dunn another Reds # 1 draft pick flame out at this point in his career?

SteelSD
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
You may know that, but I never saw that published anywhere. I read the papers closely. Maybe Austin needs someone to publicize the reasons for his absences.

That's a brilliance of Redszone. You get info here that you don't get anywhere else.

And yeah. Great idea. Next time you have a relative in the hospital in another city and feel that it's vital you take time away from work to visit them, feel free to call up your local newspaper to tell them.

Or wait...maybe you'd just tell other family members, close friends, and your employer and leave it at that.

He's being paid almost a million this year to work part time. Seems to me he could have visited a hospital in Lexington and worked in Louisville on the same day.

Again, what you might have done in the same situation is immaterial. Kearns didn't feel comfortable doing that and I respect his right to make that decision and commend him for putting his family first.

You appear to think that choice makes him less than a man. I think it makes him more of one.

Blimpie
09-15-2005, 09:41 AM
You may know that, but I never saw that published anywhere. I read the papers closely. Maybe Austin needs someone to publicize the reasons for his absences. He's being paid almost a million this year to work part time. Seems to me he could have visited a hospital in Lexington and worked in Louisville on the same day.Or maybe people should mind their own personal business. I don't need to read about it in a newspaper to know it's true. Austin grew up just a few streets away from me in my neighborhood. He played ball at the same park that my boy does. His parents are fine people that still live in the same house to this day (although he is currently building a new one for them). Austin and his father are extemely close and his father's health has been an issue the last 2-3 years. Austin also has a fiance that substitute teaches at the middle school down the street. During the time period when he was being sent down, Austin visited her at school and spent hours signing stuff for the students in the cafeteria.

Oh, remember that park where he used to play ball? He also used some of his "lazy time" this summer to become the Chairperson for a major fundraising campaign called the "Miracle League." You see, the manchild in Austin actually realizes that his local popularity will greatly contribute to the accumulation of dollars necessary to modify the fields at this park. That way, all of the special needs children (age 4-19) who love to play baseball will finally have a place that they can call their own.

http://www.slyb.org/

But I guess none of this matters unless Hal McCoy puts it in his column and you read it.

NC Reds
09-15-2005, 09:50 AM
This thread is pretty awful. I have no idea what is going on with his family, and don't think it is fair to speculate or judge him for it. Hopefully, he will be back soon.

TeamCasey
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't need to read what personal business is ..... that's why it's personal.

Garrett
09-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Or maybe people should mind their own personal business.

I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business. And Kearns has had a disappointing season. Your relationship with him and his family doesn't change that.
I want him to succeed. But he's got to want to succeed also. Stardom is a cruel thing. But it doesn't draw lines. You either make it, or you don't.

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health.

Blimpie
09-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business. And Kearns has had a disappointing season. Your relationship with him and his family doesn't change that.
I want him to succeed. But he's got to want to succeed also. Stardom is a cruel thing. But it doesn't draw lines. You either make it, or you don't.

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health.And I am a taxpayer, so I want to know which roads you plan on using today. To make things easy, just tell me where you will be...and at what times. I'll just draw my own conclusions at that point. :rolleyes:

smith288
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health. Im a one game a year ticket holder... And my opinion means just as much as yours does. Im not exactly keen to this entitlement attitude you have toward what these humans, yes humans, do in their personal lives.

SteelSD
09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.

Oh, please.

Yeah, feel free to drive up to Griffey's house and tell him that you feel the need to check out what's in his medicine cabinet because you're a Reds season ticket holder. Then tell him that you're going to be planning his meals for the rest of the season and that he needs to buzz your cell nightly to tell you what he's up to.

I'm sure that'll turn out well for you.

A player's personal life and their family's personal life is none of your concern. Your paying money to watch grown men toss a ball around doesn't change that.

redsfan30
09-15-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.That is quite possibly the most ludacris statement I have ever heard. Being a season ticket holder gives you no right whatsoever to criticize a player for tending to personal family issues. None.

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health.Then I'd hope when/if you have a family member who is sick or passes away, you don't take a day a day off of work. I have a feeling if you went to your boss and said you had a family illness and you needed a few days off work and he used your logic and told you no....you'd be irate.

09-15-2005, 10:18 AM

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health.

And if I go to McDonald's that doesn't make your life my business. I wouldn't think you should leave the bedside of an ailing parent because I wanted more fries. :thumbdown

smith288
09-15-2005, 10:25 AM
This is a pile on free for all, Garrett. If I were you, I would re-evaluate your opinion of the situation as it is clear it is not popular to criticize even a struggling athlete for dealing with his personal families issues at the end of a season where the games are basically meaningless.

I guess I could see this coming from a minority of fans if the Reds are in the middle of a heated pennant chase and Austin left...not that I would excuse it but I would expect that. But the end of a season where the Reds are kaput in terms of post season and you are hammering him? :thumbdown

A little bit of understanding regarding a situation that is greater than your precious season ticket would do wonders for you. These ballplayers are people who have lives outside of the diamond. When happens off that diamond is really none of your concern.

westofyou
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I read the papers closely.

Yeah those seemed to help you out alot.

Blimpie
09-15-2005, 10:30 AM
This is a pile on free for all, Garrett. If I were you, I would re-evaluate your opinion of the situation as it is clear it is not popular to criticize even a struggling athlete for dealing with his personal families issues at the end of a season where the games are basically meaningless.Let's not forget that with the recent expansion of the rossiters, we are now able to see the future for the Reds--in all of it's glory--right before your very eyes. If Denorfria gets a few more ABs in the month of September, that helps the club in the long run, right?

Redsfaithful
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
If his employer doesn't have a problem with it then why do you?

If people would remember that this is a business then I think their frustration levels might go down.

You buying season tickets is the same as you going to the grocery and buying Frosted Flakes. Just because you spend money on a Kellog's product doesn't mean you get to decide if the CEO's secretary can have a leave of absence. And that's all a season ticket is. A product that you've purchased.

westofyou
09-15-2005, 10:34 AM
If people would remember that this is a business then I think their frustration levels might go down.

But gee... it's a game.

BTW Arthur Rhodes manchild bailed on his team and they're in the race.

Maybe life is more important than business and a game?

MrCinatit
09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Maybe life is more important than business and a game?

yep, there we go - it is only a game. even if it is his job, frankly, it is only a job. we should never let our jobs take over our lives...if we spend all of that life working, what is it we are working for?
besides, Clemens is a rather special person...a guy like that comes along once, maybe twice in a lifetime. i am not talking just talent wise, but person wise. and, let us say Kearns is visiting someone who is sick...IMHO, it is nice to spend out time with and cherish those who are with us as much as we can, job or game be darned.
one more thing...Clemens spent a couple days with his mother before her death. Kearns is missing, what, a couple of days as well? so, does that mean Kearns is the bigger bum, because he happens to play every day, while Clemens is only a pitcher?
nah. afraid i cannot buy that.

WMR
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
http://www.phule.net/stuff/die-stupid.jpg

Caseyfan21
09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Geez, this thread is totally inappropriate. There is a whole lot more pressing issues that can be worried about in the game then why Austin needed some time off. Heck, I don't care if the Reds were one game out of the wild card right now, if Austin feels he needs to be home attending to personal matters, that's definately his choice. If he feels he needs to be there, then his mind would be there anyways so why should we as fans that have no idea so anything?

Look at the Indians, their best reliever just left for the rest of the season for personal reasons and they are 1 game up in the Wild Card. I haven't heard any public backlash for that. In the end, all of these players have families and go through the same things as us.

Maybe, Garrett, the next time that you have some personal problems, your employer should not allow you to take off work. Same type of situation here as the team is Austin's employer.

westofyou
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I haven't heard any public backlash for that.

But have you talked to the "season ticket" holders, they have veto rights on personal issues from what I understand.

Caseyfan21
09-15-2005, 11:16 AM
But have you talked to the "season ticket" holders, they have veto rights on personal issues from what I understand.

:laugh:

As I understand, the Indians are polling them right now before making the final decision.

westofyou
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
:laugh:

As I understand, the Indians are polling them right now before making the final decision.

I heard because Boone has had such a stinker of a year that he has to conduct the test too. It's the least he can do considering how much "he's not been there" even while he was there.

Larkin Fan
09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.

You're obviously confused about what exactly that entitles you to. That entitles you to a season's worth of Reds home games. Nothing else. Doesn't make you so special that you can invade the privacy of the players. That could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. It's private business. Something you need to stay out of.

harangatang
09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
The difference between Clemens and Kearns is job security. If Clemens would have gone out there and pitched awful and came out after the third inning, he knows he'll still have a job. If Kearns goes out there and goes 1-12 with 6 K's then there is Pena and Denorfia knocking on the door to take his spot.

GAC
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe Austin needs someone to publicize the reasons for his absences.

Why? Why should he have to publicize what is a private matter? It's obviously a possible family situation.

Would it make you feel better and ease your conscience if you find out a family member is gravely ill or died?

Sure the kid has had a rough up and down year - but lets find something legitimate to nit-pick about. ;)

TeamBoone
09-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Roger Clemens is obligated to be with his team ONLY on the days he pitches, thus he has plenty of time to take care of personal business. My heart goes out to him because of his loss, but it was entirely his choice to pitch yesterday... he had just spent a few days with his ill mother and said she'd have wanted him to pitch.

The situations between Roger Clemens and Austin Kearns are entirely different. Obviously, Austin's boss felt his PRIVATE reason(s) was legitimate. It is none of our business... and for the life of me, I can not figure out why you think it is yours.

Reds Nd2
09-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Perhaps you had better change the title of the thread.

Well, he began with an inappropriate title for the thread (since changed) and spiraled down hill from there.

harangatang
09-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Why? Why should he have to publicize what is a private matter? It's obviously a possible family situation.

Would it make you feel better and ease your conscience if you find out a family member is gravely ill or died?

Sure the kid has had a rough up and down year - but lets find something legitimate to nit-pick about. ;)

Thank you

NDRed
09-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Garrett:

Your OP raises a very good comparision, unfortunatly for you Austin Kearns plays for the Cincinnati Reds and for some reason is above reproach. Therefore we just look at everything he does from a certain perspectve, your rose-colored glasses should be in the mail.

Just feel fortunate that you did not compare him to Wily Mo Pena; for your information we don't acknowledge how he has been treated by this orgainization and how he has responded. We just wait for that breakout season for AK- should be any day now. As long as that 24? year old can keep his weight in check; see you at 35.

BTW although I dislike him, anybody want to make the argument that Austin Kearns was more valuable this year than Rich Aurilla?

SteelSD
09-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Garrett:

Your OP raises a very good comparision, unfortunatly for you Austin Kearns plays for the Cincinnati Reds and for some reason is above reproach. Therefore we just look at everything he does from a certain perspectve, your rose-colored glasses should be in the mail.

Just feel fortunate that you did not compare him to Wily Mo Pena; for your information we don't acknowledge how he has been treated by this orgainization and how he has responded. We just wait for that breakout season for AK- should be any day now. As long as that 24? year old can keep his weight in check; see you at 35.

BTW although I dislike him, anybody want to make the argument that Austin Kearns was more valuable this year than Rich Aurilla?

What does any of that have to do with the fact that Austin Kearns' personal life is none of your business?

I have to give you credit though. It's not often that I get to see a strawman dance with a red herring in a post. That was a unique treat, but I might suggest that you isolate either the strawman OR the red herring next time. Either/or is always best when attempting to move the conversation dramatically off-topic.

Oh, BTW- I donated money to Redszone previously. As both you and Garrett have used bandwidth that I've helped purchase, that means that the next time you or he have a family member who's gravely ill, I'll be expecting a PM from you both so that I may give you permission to visit your family member in the hospital. In fact, using Garrett's logic, all subscribers really should know what you're doing at all times and approve all your posts in advance.

Garrett
09-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I'll say one thing. Things are so much more entertaining over here than the "Old Guard". Sorry to all of you on my attack of the team's underperforming sacred cow. You'd think I wanted to close down all the ball fields for the underpriviledged in Lexington!!
Truth be told: I like Austin, and I want him to succeed. I love the Reds, but I wonder about Kearns' maturity, and think he could be trying much harder.I could care less about his personal life-I just want him to produce. But like Marty has said (also curiously an object of hostility amongst this group), it's time to put up or shut up, and the batting average is - what it is.
Gosh, if only i had questioned Aurelia!

REDJAKE
09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Glad to see so many posters with the right answer to this silly post and the poster deserves to get the backlash he is getting. I normally wouldn't even bother but someone not KNOWING THE FACTS and posting this thread isn't thinking to well,it may really be something excusable and likely is.GO CINCY!!!!!

westofyou
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I'll say one thing. Things are so much more entertaining over here than the "Old Guard".

I guess entertaining must not be code for "talking about baseball" because the orginal post wasn't about that at all.

GAC
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Roger Clemens is obligated to be with his team ONLY on the days he pitches,

Excellent point TB. Here we have a pitcher who signed a contract for around 20 Mil - and he only had to be there on the days he pitches.

And a comparison is drawn between Clemens and Kearns to show that Kearns is being coddled??

I thought the Kevin Brown contract several years ago, with it's stipulations on air travel, hotel rooms, family members, etc. was ridiculous, until I saw this Clemen's contract.

TeamBoone
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Sorry to all of you on my attack of the team's underperforming sacred cow.

Somehow, I don't remember you mentioning this at all.

Your beef (from my perspective) was with Austin asking for, and being granted, PERSONAL time to attend to an unpublicized PERSONAL matter when you feel his first priority should lie with his team and with you.

Chip R
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
You know what this smells like to me?

RedsFan74
09-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I'll say one thing. Things are so much more entertaining over here than the "Old Guard". Sorry to all of you on my attack of the team's underperforming sacred cow.

Troll.

Garrett
09-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Somehow, I don't remember you mentioning this at all.

Your beef (from my perspective) was with Austin asking for, and being granted, PERSONAL time to attend to an unpublicized PERSONAL matter when you feel his first priority should lie with his team and with you.

Nope, I was disappointed early on in the season when he took the better part of a week to report to Louisville. I was disappointed when I saw him in spring training with a big gut. I was disappointed that he hasn't shown much maturity.I'm disappointed in his batting average. And I was disappointed he wasn't in the lineup in Chicago after his noted exploits last year late in the season.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
153 at bats since the AS Game

.268/.361/.497/.858

I like it myself.

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Nope, I was disappointed early on in the season when he took the better part of a week to report to Louisville.

His father had heart surgery during that time! I don't know about you, but I would rather spend time with my sick father than show up a day early to impress you or Dan freakin' O'Brien. Ask any other Redzoner, and they will tell you the same thing. Believe it or not, some things are most important than the game of baseball.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Believe it or not, some things are most important than the game of baseball.

I'm begining to think that some of these things that are more important might be named "Garrett"

Casey_21
09-16-2005, 12:42 PM
I was gonna comment on this supposed to be 'post', but I think WOY, TB, Chip, Barry11, Smith, and the rest of the crue pretty much summed it all up for me. I highly doubt Garrett, that if your Dad was seriously ill, you would spend a half of day with him, and jet off to finnish up your day at work... especially when you didn't have to. Give Austin a break.

joeberk
09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
From Marc Lancaster:

Austin Kearns will be back with the team tonight as the proud father of Aubrey Ryan Kearns, born Tuesday in Lexington. New mother Abby is reportedly doing fine.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2005/09/congrats-all-around.asp

westofyou
09-16-2005, 12:48 PM
From Marc Lancaster:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2005/09/congrats-all-around.asp

Selfish prick attending the birth of his kid.

TRF
09-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Ya know, I rode the "Austin needs to want to play" train. I was solidly behind his demotion. I didn't give a rat's behind that he took 72 hours to report. that 72 is in the CBA. His father was ill then, and now he's a father. Of course he had more important things to do than hit a ball with a stick.

Didn't Browning leave a playoff game because his wife was in labor?

Casey_21
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Awwwww..... Congratulations Austin and family!!! :beerme: :thumbup: :party: :clap:

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 12:58 PM
From Marc Lancaster:

Austin Kearns will be back with the team tonight as the proud father of Aubrey Ryan Kearns, born Tuesday in Lexington. New mother Abby is reportedly doing fine.

How come we weren't consulted when they were picking baby names? We DO have rights, you know!

Casey_21
09-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... You want to insert foot now? Or would you have missed that for work too?? :rolleyes:

Joseph
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
I thought Austin was working on moving to 3B this offseason, not THAT! :)

Congrats to Poppa Kearns.

macro
09-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... You want to insert foot now? Or would you have missed that for work too?? :rolleyes:

We're still waiting for a reply...

lollipopcurve
09-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Congratulations to the Kearns clan! AK did the right thing by being there, obviously.

KronoRed
09-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Congrats to Austin and little JR :)

OldRightHander
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Maybe we can lock up the little Kearns to a LTC right now. Who knows how large salaries will be when he's playing age.

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 01:45 PM
We're still waiting for a reply...Don't bother. Well, it was really just an accident, but when I knocked on Garrett's door, it kinda opened all by itself....and...well....

http://inwiththenew.typepad.com/photos/empty/02dining.jpg

KronoRed
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Wow

Think that place is rent controlled? :D

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Wow

Think that place is rent controlled? :DAt least he kept the carpet clean....

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Congrats to Austin and his family! :beerme:
[and hearts are breaking all over Redsland!!! ;) ]

Is it a boy or a girl? The name doesn't really say with Aubrey being traditionally a girl's name and ryan a boy's name... :confused:

Chip R
09-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Congrats to Austin and his family! :beerme:
[and hearts are breaking all over Redsland!!! ;) ]

Is it a boy or a girl? The name doesn't really say with Aubrey being traditionally a girl's name and ryan a boy's name... :confused:
That's a good point. Ryan could be a girl's name too.

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 02:42 PM
That's a good point. Ryan could be a girl's name too.I heard that as well - but on a couple of baby names sites they list Aubrey as both a male and female name. Ryan could be a family surname.

Super_Barry11
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
I heard that as well - but on a couple of baby names sites they list Aubrey as both a male and female name. Ryan could be a family surname.

I just assumed it was a girl, since I'm hoping to have a little Aubree in the future (the very distant future, that is!). Ryan is Austin's middle name, but it's also a cute name for a girl, in my opinion. :)

Anyway, regardless of the gender, CONGRATS to Austin, Abby, and the whole family!! :thumbup:

smith288
09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Im assuming a boy. Aubrey Huff plays for the Devil Rays so it can be a boy and Ryan says boyish even though its also a bi-gendered name. Just my guess... any wagers?

Oh and Garrett

http://webdev.prosoundweb.com/fun/Photofun/76-head_up_ass.jpg

Raisor
09-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Oh and Garrett

http://webdev.prosoundweb.com/fun/Photofun/76-head_up_ass.jpg

Weird place to put his keys...

flyer85
09-16-2005, 06:30 PM
A real man would have stayed with the team. :dunno:

Help me out here Garrett.

cumberlandreds
09-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Congrats to Austin and his family! Now we know why he had gained weight this spring. ;)
Also never question why a player may miss a game until you know why. Or you will come away looking like this :redface:

Larkin Fan
09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Selfish, immature bastard. Leaving the team to be with his wife for the birth of their child and all. Can't believe anyone would do that.

Larkin Fan
09-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Weird place to put his keys...

No kidding.

KronoRed
09-16-2005, 06:53 PM
The son/daughter of Darth Kearns will bring balance to the Reds

;)

traderumor
09-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Selfish, immature bastard. Leaving the team to be with his wife for the birth of their child and all. Can't believe anyone would do that.Thought he was single?

Felipe matured and had a breakout season after the birth of his child. Kearns, couple of hits tonight, including a homer, could be the start of a promising 2006.

WMR
09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Personal matters.
Austin, you had such promise. Providence gave you the perfect baseball body and tools. Rest in Peace, while we mourn another failure.

http://www.petpresident.com/Head-in-Ass.gif

The Baumer
09-16-2005, 08:32 PM
The manchild had a child, man.

halmorris
09-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Kearns wife and baby are doing well I assume?

Super_Barry11
09-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Kearns wife and baby are doing well I assume?

According to Marc's blog, new mother Abby is doing fine. I think she and Austin are engaged, but I'm not entirely certain.

GAC
09-16-2005, 09:17 PM
He would have probably given Reidling a hard time last year too. ;)

halmorris
09-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks. Why is it that people demand to know everything about people in media (Hollywood, athletes, etc) actions? Who gave them that right? I think their have been some off based comments in this thread. Hope all is well in Cincy

Chip R
09-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I heard that as well - but on a couple of baby names sites they list Aubrey as both a male and female name. Ryan could be a family surname.

Reds website says it's a boy. Looks like learning to play 3rd base wasn't the only thing Austin was doing last January. ;)

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Reds website says it's a boy. Looks like learning to play 3rd base wasn't the only thing Austin was doing last January. ;)I was counting the months back as well... ;). Well aside from learning to play 3rd base I'm sure it gets kinda boring until ST...what else is there to do??? :D

KronoRed
09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey now! :bang:

Super_Barry11
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Reds website says it's a boy. Looks like learning to play 3rd base wasn't the only thing Austin was doing last January. ;)

Awww, I guessed incorrectly. Oh well. Still awesome though!! I'm really happy for Austin!! :)

Reds1
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I thought Austin was looking a little fat. :evil:

Congrats austin

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I thought Austin was looking a little fat. :evil:

Congrats austinWould that be "sympathy" weight gain??? ;)

wheels
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
You know what?

A father with heart problems, a child on the way. Demotions.

This kid has dealt with alot this year, and I'm willing to give him a mulligan.

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 10:31 PM
You know what?

This kid has dealt with alot this year, and I'm willing to give him a mulligan.Here, Here!!! :)

Chip R
09-16-2005, 10:51 PM
I was counting the months back as well... ;). Well aside from learning to play 3rd base I'm sure it gets kinda boring until ST...what else is there to do??? :DWatching UK hoops but other than that, not much. ;)

Larkin Fan
09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Thought he was single?

Small mistake on my part. Doesn't affect the point I was making though.

4256 Hits
09-16-2005, 11:01 PM
You know what?

This kid has dealt with alot this year, and I'm willing to give him a mulligan.

I thought he got one last year!

Having a child on the way is not really something to be dealt w/ it is somthing you look forward to.

Fathers heart problem can be a distraction but it is something may impact a few games but it is something that a professional (in any job) need to get past and do your job.

His problems are that he hasn't worked hard enough to improve his game to meet his potential and the number of injuries that has happened. Which may or not have been caused by his lack of conditioning.

When he came up a few years ago he was viewed as somebody that had the abilities to be a hall-of-famer at the very least a regular all-star now I am guessing that will always get 3 days off every July.

SteelSD
09-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Having a child on the way is not really something to be dealt w/ it is somthing you look forward to.

Y'know, I have no kids and I still know what a crock that is.

Fathers heart problem can be a distraction but it is something may impact a few games but it is something that a professional (in any job) need to get past and do your job.

Bunk. Complete. In fact, absolute. If you don't know if you'll ever see a parent again, your outlook, focus, and priorities change.

Being completely heartless has nothing to do with being "professional". Learn that and you'll be with the rest of the world.

Larkin Fan
09-17-2005, 12:06 AM

Spoken like someone that's never dealt with a truly serious illness in the family. Otherwise, you'd understand.

cincinnati chili
09-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Exclusive contraband photo of Austin's kid:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6890/babykrusty.jpg

TeamBoone
09-17-2005, 12:13 AM
His father's heart disease was severe enough to require bypass surgery and you feel that qualifies as a mere distraction? I sincerely beg to differ with you on that one.

And, yes... the birth of a child is something you look forward to. However, as the couple is unmarried, it may not have been such a lark. Who knows what kind of problems they may have had dealing with that news and/or possible medical problems with the pregnancy itself. We don't know!

And yes, Austin's "game" has suffered big time. And yes, his average is low... but since returning from his demotion it has improved. Because it was so low, his improvement isn't reflected as much, but if you look at it before and after (separate entities), there is a significant difference. And defensively, he's better than good.

And yeah, you're probably right... he didn't work hard enough prior to ST but he obviously did during his demotion as documented in several articles. He didn't go down and slack off.

Also, I highly doubt that his shoulder injury was caused by lack of conditioning. More likely, it was because of the collision with Ray King!

BTW, many players come up with high expectations put on them. Not a whole lot live up to them, but that doesn't mean they aren't decent baseball players. Not every player can be an All-Star and not every player can be a Hall-of-Famer, but a whole lot of players can be darned good even without those credentials.

I truly believe Austin will be more diligent during this year's off season because he's learned his lesson. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. And I'm especially encouraged by the fact that he has had no staggering injury this year (though I never did consider him injury prone as most, if not all, of his injuries have been flukie).

wheels
09-17-2005, 01:05 AM
To add another thought....

The fact that we knew nothing of these things speaks volumes of Austin. Not one one time did he use them as an excuse.

His priorities were right where they should have been.

His family.

Not some stupid game. No, baseball isn't stupid, and yes, it's his job, but a father with heart problems and a child on the way makes it very very stupid.

I've got alot more respect for Austin now, and I consider it proof that he's grown up tremendously over the last year.

Austin will arrive upon the Cincinnati landscape with a vengeance next season.

traderumor
09-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I thought he got one last year!

His problems are that he hasn't worked hard enough to improve his game to meet his potential and the number of injuries that has happened. Which may or not have been caused by his lack of conditioning.

When he came up a few years ago he was viewed as somebody that had the abilities to be a hall-of-famer at the very least a regular all-star now I am guessing that will always get 3 days off every July.Man, I hope that you aren't somebody's boss, because your company will lose some really good people who happen to care as much or more about their family than their job if you are.

Falls City Beer
09-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Man, I hope that you aren't somebody's boss, because your company will lose some really good people who happen to care as much or more about their family than their job if you are.

Yep. A good workplace understands that the worker has a life and people he loves.

westofyou
09-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Yep. A good workplace understands that the worker has a life and people he loves.
A concept lost on some I guess and probably why many of the posters here won't ever manage anything other than their checkbook.

Marc D
09-17-2005, 11:46 AM
4256-

I have dealt with the birth of my 2nd child and the death of my mother in 2005 and you simply could not be more wrong.

I know AK's father didn't pass (thankfully) but the chance of its happening hanging over your head is a heavy load indeed. The birth of a child is indeed something you look foreward to but is also something that fills you with anxiety. 9 months of the deep dark part of your mind projecting terrible what if's concerning your wife and baby's health is a mental and emotional strain all its own.

I hope that post was somehow in error (bad day, poor choice of words etc) because if thats really how you see things I truley feel sorry for you.

cincinnati chili
09-17-2005, 01:09 PM
A concept lost on some I guess and probably why many of the posters here won't ever manage anything other than their checkbook.

What's a checkbook?

09-17-2005, 01:14 PM

And the rest need organized labor.

westofyou
09-17-2005, 01:17 PM
What's a checkbook?

Sallie Mae's best friend.

M2
09-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Actually I've always found a child on the way a professional motivator. Different people are wired different ways.

A parent's illness obviously weighs on you in some fashion.

Though I'm not so sure Austin's personal life is the reason why he's had a disappointing season. IMO he's always taken his talent for granted and what we've seen the past two years is a guy who hasn't understood the amount of work required to unleash it in the wake of a serious injury. Would the light have gone on without the external distractions? Maybe. You never know what a young guy's going to learn or when he's going to learn it.

Though he also has to learn the fine art of compartmentalization. I'd argue the players that do it easily tend to enjoy greater success on the field, prime example - Pete Rose. There's always going to be something going on in your personal life.

westofyou
09-17-2005, 01:57 PM
prime example - Pete Rose.

On the flip side of that we have Jimmy Piersall

Falls City Beer
09-17-2005, 02:14 PM
And the rest need organized labor.

Basically.

Blimpie
09-17-2005, 02:31 PM
To add another thought....

The fact that we knew nothing of these things speaks volumes of Austin. Not one one time did he use them as an excuse.

His priorities were right where they should have been.

His family.

Not some stupid game. No, baseball isn't stupid, and yes, it's his job, but a father with heart problems and a child on the way makes it very very stupid.

I've got alot more respect for Austin now, and I consider it proof that he's grown up tremendously over the last year.

Austin will arrive upon the Cincinnati landscape with a vengeance next season.Excellent post, Wheels. Austin is a private person--perhaps to a fault--but he is not big on excuses.

Tools of Ignorance
09-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, I guess this proves that he indeed worked hard on his stickwork in the offseason.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

4256 Hits
09-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Y'know, I have no kids and I still know what a crock that is.

Bunk. Complete. In fact, absolute. If you don't know if you'll ever see a parent again, your outlook, focus, and priorities change.

Being completely heartless has nothing to do with being "professional". Learn that and you'll be with the rest of the world.

1st off I didn't want to come along as being heartless.

Let me clarify a few points. First of all I have 3 kids 2,4,5 so 3 times recently I have had to "deal" with a birth of a child 3 times and none of them effected my job performance other than the time I took off. I have no problem w/ him taking the time off at the birth. But to think that his troubles at the plate in April were partly because he was going to have a baby in 4 months, I don't buy it.

I haven't had to deal w/ a parent illness but have had to deal w/ the death of all four of my grandparents so I have watched my parents go though having their parents ill. I understand it impacting your job for awhile but a person needs to get to a point where they can focus and do there job and if he was having trouble dealling with it I would have had no problem with him asking for as much time time off as he needed.

Look at a player such as Brett Farve (or Roger Clemens eariler this week) that has had to go though many personally trouble in his past and hasn't let it impact his performance. Most people every few years has some big (bad) thing happen in there life and it is something you have to learn to deal with.

My worries are what if he has another kid next year or if another family member gets sick does that excuss him to have another bad year next?

I am sure so of you will view me as "evil" but that is not how I want to come across. I do wish Kearns the best and hope next year is a happy and healthy year and we can all see the type of MVP year that he is capable of. :thumbup:

I hope this come accross clearly but I have never be very good at getting my point accross in my writting. :help: