PDA

View Full Version : UK vs. Indiana

WMR
09-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Hmmm... 4th and 1/2 a yard on the 6 yard line...

I know, let's run a slow-developing sweep to the outside, that's a good idea.

Injuries have made this UK team look really, really bad.

Struggling this badly against Indiana and Boise St., SEC play is going to be killer for this team.

WVRed
09-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I thank God I gave up on UK in football. Like I need any more humiliating teams right now. :bang:

WMR
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
HAHAHAHA i can't help myself

WMR
09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Louisville sure was impressive today. They absolutely crushed Oregon St.

WMR
09-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Man oh man... what a butt-whoopin'.

George Foster
09-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Man oh man... what a butt-whoopin'.

Hey does anybody here know why Bob Davie the former coach of the Irish, never got back into coaching? I thought he got screwed at ND. The year after he left, they went 9-3 I believe. Do you think he would be a good fit for Kentucky? We need a "Name", I don't think Joker Phillips is ready for "prime-time" yet. Any suggestions? It's time to begin the "death watch" for coach Brooks.....it's over.

macro
09-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Everyone except Mitch Barnhardt realized that Rich Brooks was a mistake from the day he was hired. Lucky for him that he and Mitch were old friends, and well, old friends do these kinds of favors for one another, even if there are 1,001 other people who were more qualified for the job.

The first good move for UK football would be to show Barnhardt the door, followed by Brooks, and hire two competent people for those jobs. Oh, and stop trying to "hide" the game with UL by burying it in the schedule.

I stopped following UK football when Hal Dumme ran the program into the ground. I have no plans to start following it again any time soon. As uncomfortable as it makes me, I am rooting for UL to go undefeated. At least they know what they're doing and they're local.

WMR
09-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Macro, as much as it pains me, you are exactly right. :(

WMR
09-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I have to say though, Guy Morriss had this program headed in the right direction... but again, Barnhardt wanted his boy. Talk about some BS.

KronoRed
09-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Barnhardt won't get the boot unless he somehow hurts the basketball program, that pays the bills at UK.

WMR
09-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Barnhardt won't get the boot unless he somehow hurts the basketball program, that pays the bills at UK.

Krono, I disagree. People in Central KY care about football. Either Barnhardt will get rid of Brooks or UK will get rid of Barnhardt.

UK Alum will not tolerate a bad/embarrassing UK football team. There are plenty of good coaches out there. UK has got a great recruiting base for football. No excuse whatsoever for them not to be competitive.

Big Donkey
09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
I would have preferred Doug Williams to get the job to begin with over Rich Brooks, but as otherwise stated, everyone BUT Barnhardt seemed to not want Brooks. Guys like the aforementioend Bob Davie are out there, too, it's true. Frank Solich, while not 'good enough' for Nebraska, took a job at Ohio (though I believe he did have some type of history/background in southeastern Ohio). I remember hearing a few rumblings UK and Ron Zook could have been interested in each other following his announced-ahead-of-time firing at UF last year, but the Illinois job became open and he took it. There's guys out there, but I think it's just gonna go to Joker Phillips when Brooks is finally toast. They seem to be prepping for that.

KronoRed
09-18-2005, 02:20 AM
UK should have gone after Spurrier, the difference between USC and UK with regards to their football programs is slight, big missed opportunity, but if the rumors I've heard are true that Spurrier told Holtz he would succeed him even before last year..then you can't place that all on UK's AD.

George Foster
09-19-2005, 12:32 AM
UK should have gone after Spurrier, the difference between USC and UK with regards to their football programs is slight, big missed opportunity, but if the rumors I've heard are true that Spurrier told Holtz he would succeed him even before last year..then you can't place that all on UK's AD.

I know for a fact that Spurrier got a membership to Augusta if he accepted the USC job. He is an avid golfer. That trumps UK anyday. South Carolina has a great high School football program as well. In 2 years they will be in the hunt for the SEC title.

Playadlc
09-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Terry Hoeppner is a Godsend.

Blimpie
09-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Everyone except Mitch Barnhardt realized that Rich Brooks was a mistake from the day he was hired. Lucky for him that he and Mitch were old friends, and well, old friends do these kinds of favors for one another, even if there are 1,001 other people who were more qualified for the job.Actually, the one playing "friend" at that time was Brooks. With the NCAA probation looming and a dearth of talent, nobody that was "more qualified" wanted anything to do with this job until the probation period elapsed. Guy Morriss did have the program moving in the right direction. With a relatively nominal pay increase he would have stayed at UK. Barnhardt tried to make his presence felt and refused any pay increase. Off to Baylor goes Morriss. Then, in an effort to make the big splash, Barnhardt goes courting Bill Parcells. From speaking to the people that I know, that was actually closer to a reality than anybody thinks. So much, in fact, that Barnhardt told Norm Chow (USC Offensive Coordinator) to go take a hike because he thought they had Parcells in the bag. When Parcells flaked on UK, there was literally nobody left to hire....other than Brooks. Brooks knew it was a lose-lose situation, but came to Lexington as a favor to Barnhardt. What has happened since then is another story entirely.

The first good move for UK football would be to show Barnhardt the door, followed by Brooks, and hire two competent people for those jobs. Oh, and stop trying to "hide" the game with UL by burying it in the schedule.Ain't gonna happen. At least, not as long as Barnhardt continues pulling down crazy numbers in donations to the athletic department. President Todd and the Board love Barnhardt...with a capital "L" Personally, I think he should wear a ski-mask instead of a business suit, but he does his primary job very well--fundraising. Do I think that getting the tennis coach a pay increase is more important than having an offesive coordinator? Hell no. However, he is spreading the wealth across all programs--and they are becoming more competitive as a result. Just take a look at the recent successes of the golf team, tennis team, etc...The men's basketball team has been drooling for a state of the art practice facility since the early days of Pitino. Neither CM Newton nor Larry Ivy could "rally the troops" sufficiently during their tenures as AD. Barnhardt comes in and voila...$ 20 million raised (and counting). Now that the team will no longer have to practice in that dump known as Memorial Coliseum, Barnhardt has a vote of confidence from Tubby Smith. That is something that Larry Ivy NEVER had, and you saw how long he lasted as AD...

WMR
09-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Actually, the one playing "friend" at that time was Brooks. With the NCAA probation looming and a dearth of talent, nobody that was "more qualified" wanted anything to do with this job until the probation period elapsed. Guy Morriss did have the program moving in the right direction. With a relatively nominal pay increase he would have stayed at UK. Barnhardt tried to make his presence felt and refused any pay increase. Off to Baylor goes Morriss. Then, in an effort to make the big splash, Barnhardt goes courting Bill Parcells. From speaking to the people that I know, that was actually closer to a reality than anybody thinks. So much, in fact, that Barnhardt told Norm Chow (USC Offensive Coordinator) to go take a hike because he thought they had Parcells in the bag. When Parcells flaked on UK, there was literally nobody left to hire....other than Brooks. Brooks knew it was a lose-lose situation, but came to Lexington as a favor to Barnhardt. What has happened since then is another story entirely.

Ain't gonna happen. At least, not as long as Barnhardt continues pulling down crazy numbers in donations to the athletic department. President Todd and the Board love Barnhardt...with a capital "L" Personally, I think he should wear a ski-mask instead of a business suit, but he does his primary job very well--fundraising. Do I think that getting the tennis coach a pay increase is more important than having an offesive coordinator? Hell no. However, he is spreading the wealth across all programs--and they are becoming more competitive as a result. Just take a look at the recent successes of the golf team, tennis team, etc...The men's basketball team has been drooling for a state of the art practice facility since the early days of Pitino. Neither CM Newton nor Larry Ivy could "rally the troops" sufficiently during their tenures as AD. Barnhardt comes in and voila...$ 20 million raised (and counting). Now that the team will no longer have to practice in that dump known as Memorial Coliseum, Barnhardt has a vote of confidence from Tubby Smith. That is something that Larry Ivy NEVER had, and you saw how long he lasted as AD...

Good analysis, Blimpie. I've gotta think, however, that UK could find some other "big time Name," to help put UK back on the recruiting map especially. We are getting absolutely spanked by not only Louisville but also other big-time programs who are swooping in and taking our state's best recruits. UK traditionally has at least done fairly well in securing a nice portion of our state's top football recruits. We've got to get back to that at the very least.

WVRed
09-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Bottom Line: It doesnt matter what UK does in football the same way it doesnt matter what Duke does in football, its still a basketball school. And regardless of what is going on at Louisville(even though I am very elated at what Louisville is doing in football), its still a basketball only state.

I lived in Kentucky for the first 18 years of my life, and I can attest that basketball is the biggest religion in the state, especially the further south you get to Lexington. Its almost every little boys dream to suit up one day and play in Rupp Arena or even God forbid Freedom Hall(sorry FCB;)). The only state that pales in comparison is North Carolina.

If you rarely ever do this, I challenge you to go to a Kentucky high school basketball game. In many ways, they are just as exciting IMO as the college game and definitely more-so than the professional game. People get into it in different areas more than the collegiate game itself.

I remember watching OJ Mayo when he played for a small Christian school in Ashland KY hit a game winning three pointer and how the fans of other schools literally went nuts not because they were watching a child prodigy, but because their team lost and shouldn't have. Its a passion that unless you havent seen it, you dont understand.

Blimpie
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Good analysis, Blimpie. I've gotta think, however, that UK could find some other "big time Name," to help put UK back on the recruiting map especially. We are getting absolutely spanked by not only Louisville but also other big-time programs who are swooping in and taking our state's best recruits. UK traditionally has at least done fairly well in securing a nice portion of our state's top football recruits. We've got to get back to that at the very least.The irony of it all is that now that the probation sanctions have passed, UK could probably could find itself a better football coach. Except that the reality is that they are a frighteningly putrid football team that plays in a brutal conference and has no depth whatsoever. With no big-name prospects on the horizon, how does one go about improving upon its wretched past? How many more years must we use the Nutter Field House (practice facilities) as the crown jewel in our recruiting efforts?

They are a rudderless ship at this point. I read a quote on Sunday where Andre Woodson claimed they probably 'looked past' Indiana on Saturday because, "we played Louisville close and beat Idaho State." What the hell is that? How does a coaching staff even allow that type of vapor lock mentality to enter the locker room? This team can't look past any team in the country...that INCLUDES any Division I-AA teams. I attended both games that Andre mentioned. Louisville took the second half off and we made it close--big deal. Get over yourselves. Idaho State? Idaho State? They beat Kentucky like a rented mule for for 3 1/2 quarters. They looked unstoppable on the ground. All game long, ISU consistently gained 7 yards per carry running the draw play. :bang: UK somehow won the game--despite themselves--and their starting QB says that's probably why they overlooked Indiana. I blame that crap on the coaches. Oh yeah, did anyone think that IU might have watched that ISU game film? They did the same thing. Draw play. Draw Play. Draw Play. Even the IU coaches could not believe that UK made no adjustments in an effort to stop the bleeding. Archer should have been gone at halftime of the Idaho State game. But no, he stayed on to mastermind this gem.

This team will not win another game this year. The "iffy" games on the schedule that were Mississippi State and Vandy now appear to be slaughters pending. I will be there Saturday when the Gators come to town. Hopefully, it will get SO bad--on national TV nonetheless--that changes will be made immediately. At least, that's my hope.

WMR
09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, when I saw UK was playing FLA on National TV, I was like: WHAT THE FLIP?

LOL, maybe some CBS Exec./FLA Trustee wants some revenge for basketball?

Wow... how do you "look past Indiana" after beating perennial powerhouse Idaho State??? That sounds almost too ludicrous to be true; But it is. LOL.

WMR
09-19-2005, 12:31 PM
I did hear that we got a verbal commitment from one of the top RBs in the nation who is from the state of LA. Other schools recruiting him included USC, LSU etc.

HE WILL BE THE SAVIOR. LOL

Blimpie
09-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Bottom Line: It doesnt matter what UK does in football the same way it doesnt matter what Duke does in football, its still a basketball school. And regardless of what is going on at Louisville(even though I am very elated at what Louisville is doing in football), its still a basketball only state.I agree that it is a basketball school. But your AD cannot ask loyal UK football fans to continue subsidizing all of the other "Olympic Sports" (read: non-revenue generating and financially draining) at increasingly obscene levels and then do absolutely nothing to improve upon the football team's future.

Barnhardt has raised the face value price of football tickets every year he has been AD. In addition, he has implemented his little "gimmicky" crap like getting $ 10 extra per ticket on games that he deems a "rivalry" opponent. This year, it was the Louisville game. Last year in was the Alabama game. How the hell are we "rivals" with Alabama? We have beaten them one time since the 50's right? How about nearly twenty straight losses to both Tennessee and to Florida? Where exactly are these rivalries again? Barnhardt would ***** out his greasy grandmammy if he thought it would put bleachers on the soccer field. That's all fine and good, but you've still gotta feed the bulldog. If you don't believe me about Barnhardt, then you should listen to the PA Announcer during the football games:

"that carry is good for seven yards and another Thorton's first dowwwwnnnn, Kentucky!" :rolleyes:

But you gotta take care of those who take care of you. Football and Men's Basketball are the engines that drive the bus. Without those two sports, UK doesn't HAVE an athletic budget. But you know what? As long as 70,000 UK fans like yours truly are stupid enough to be there every Saturday afternoon, Mitch is going to leave things as the status quo.

WVRed
09-19-2005, 12:59 PM
I did hear that we got a verbal commitment from one of the top RBs in the nation who is from the state of LA. Other schools recruiting him included USC, LSU etc.

HE WILL BE THE SAVIOR. LOL

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1791391

Moncel Allen. Ranked 53rd in the nation. LSU has two RBs ranked 13th and 35th respectively. Might be UKs best recruit, but definitely bottom tier for the two mentioned.

traderumor
09-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Here I thought this was a preview of a basketball game. I forgot those two schools have football teams, well sort of. :p:

Hoosier Red
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Terry Hoeppner is a Godsend.

No doubt about that. The schedule has worked great giving the team a bye week to enjoy being 3-0 and come back to earth before going to Camp Randall.

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself, I see 3 maybe 4 "winnable" games, out of the next 7. If IU can go 2-5 in the stretch before the Bucket game, oh MY would that be fun.

Just hope someone can throw a wrench in Purdues plans though. Hate to see them come to Bloomington at 10-0.

KronoRed
09-21-2005, 04:55 AM
http://www.wildcatastrophe.com/

macro
09-24-2005, 07:00 PM
I've gotta think, however, that UK could find some other "big time Name," to help put UK back on the recruiting map especially.

I don't think that trying to lure the big name is necessarily the way to go, WilyMo. Look who Utah hired in 2003 - the coach from Bowling Green for heaven's sake. One year later they're 11-0. That guy now coaches at #5 ranked Florida.

I think Urban Meyer would've gladly took the UK job over Utah when both jobs were available in 2003. Not many people would've recognized his name at that time, but how much better off would UK have been?

Oh, and nice showing by the Cats against Meyers' team today. Florida led 49-7 at the half, with UK's lone score coming on a blocked punt. I'll say it again, nice hire, Barnhardt. You da man!

KronoRed
09-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Embarrassing 2nd half for Florida, but hey..maybe Brooks will stick around since he made it close ;)