PDA

View Full Version : New shows

TeamCasey
09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Any reviews for new TV shows out there?

I watched "Surface". I think it's going to be cool. I hadn't read anything ahead of time. I had no idea it was going to have some Sci Fi, possible alien mystery to it. Made me have to tune in again.

TB says I'll like Threshold, but haven't seen it yet.

Unassisted
09-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I remember we did this thread last year and I thought it was interesting.

I have been focused on Rockstar: INXS, which just ended last night, so it's hard to shift my thinking toward all of these new shows.

I also watched "Surface" and liked it more than I thought I would. Mrs. U didn't like the lead actress, Lake Bell before she was bounced from the show "Boston Legal," so she refused to watch it with me.

I'm looking forward to checking out "Invasion" and that show on ABC where Geena Davis is the President. (I've set my DVR to record it, but I don't remember the title. :))

I've got a channel on my DVR set up to record series premieres, so I may end up checking out a few wild card shows before the month is out.

Reds Fanatic
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Threshold is a great show. I was a big X-Files fan and this is one of the better Sci-fi shows since the X-Files. I also watched My Name is Earl and that is pretty funny show.

westofyou
09-21-2005, 01:54 PM

Rome is a baudy romp through decadent times.... kinda like the news without the commercials.

Jeremy Piergallini
09-21-2005, 03:15 PM
My Name is Earl and How I Met Your Mother were both good, IMHO.

But, I don't have time for the new ones. I have returners that I caught over the summer that I am now a fan of.
Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy and my fav, Lost.

RFS62
09-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Rome is a baudy romp through decadent times.... kinda like the news without the commercials.

Yep, I'm digging Rome. Another triumph for HBO.

Jeremy Piergallini
09-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't get HBO, but I'll tell you this, Thank you HBO for Band of Brothers. Finest piece of filmmaking I have ever seen.

dman
09-21-2005, 04:25 PM

I watched "Surface". I think it's going to be cool. I hadn't read anything ahead of time. I had no idea it was going to have some Sci Fi, possible alien mystery to it. Made me have to tune in again.

TB says I'll like Threshold, but haven't seen it yet.

"Surface" looked really cool, but I don't see how there will be enough material out there to keep it going, especially if it goes on multiple seasons. It reminds me a lot of the old series "Sea Quest". Both would (have been) be better suited as mini-series types rather than a weekly show.

Raisor
09-21-2005, 06:40 PM
My Name is Earl and How I Met Your Mother were both good, IMHO.

I really like My Name is Earl. Jason Lee was channeling Nic Cage from Raising Arizona.

Tremendously funny pilot episode.

I thought How I Met Your Mother was pretty good, with a GREAT ending.

Allison Hannigan is still a goddess, but Doogie Howser was the best of the bunch (SUIT UP!)

GAC
09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
I love Green Acres! I think it is going to be a hit. :p:

Jaycint
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
There is a new show on the WB on Tuesday nights at 9 o'clock called Supernatural. So far through two episodes I like it pretty well. Kind of an X-Files meets Buffy type of thing. Follows two brothers that travel around the country hunting down different supernatural monsters and entities while also looking for their father who is missing.

Falls City Beer
09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I heard "Rome" is like "I, Claudius" without the Benny Hill lighting.

BoydsOfSummer
09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Polly Walker on Rome has my full attention...Mama Mia! The rest of it is darn fine as well.

LoganBuck
09-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Watched Invasion tonight. It made me feel uncomfortable watching it. It is either really good, or just scary.

Lost continues to annoy me. I love the show, but it is just so tedious to watch the show, and the commericial breaks are always a cliffhanger. They finally get down in the hatch and then some guy (who once ran stairs with the doctor) with computers pulls a gun?

GAC
09-22-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't get HBO, but I'll tell you this, Thank you HBO for Band of Brothers. Finest piece of filmmaking I have ever seen.

Gonna rent it this weekend and watch it. With my work schedule, it's about they only way I can watch these series.

I heard that Everyone Hates Chris is suppose to be pretty good. Debuts on UPN tonight?

TeamCasey
09-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Watched "Threshold". I'm loving it. Thank you TB for taping it. I loved the whole triple helix thing and when all the people showed up with the auditory signal.

Watching "Invasion" right now. I think it's going to be good. Having trouble getting the character's relationships straight.

I love that all these Sci Fi hourly dramas are cropping up from the success of "Lost". It's right up my alley.

I only hope they wrap them up well. I hate when these shows get started only to wander aimlessly or die before tying up the loose ends. I'm a little worried that "Lost" will start wandering aimlessly.

It's tough ... someone said it earlier in this thread that many of these shows would make better miniseries than shows. It's a good point.

TeamCasey
09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
BTW, did anyone watch last week's Threshold? I can't believe no one's commented on it.

There was a key local reference.

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Rome is a baudy romp through decadent times.... kinda like the news without the commercials.I have watched every episode of "Rome" and it is quite good. After the season premiere of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" last Sunday night, HBO showed their debut episode of "Extras" and it appears to be pretty well written. But then again--90% of my favorite shows are on HBO, so I am somewhat biased.

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
I don't get HBO, but I'll tell you this, Thank you HBO for Band of Brothers. Finest piece of filmmaking I have ever seen.While you are at it, don't forget to thank them for:

The Sopranos
Carnivale
Entourage
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Family Bonds

Of course, honorable mention would have to go out to: Oz, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sex and The City and Deadwood

Jeremy Piergallini
09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
I've seen one episode of the Soprano's, half a season of 6 feet under and a hand full of episodes of Oz.

They were all good shows, just never got into them. GOt two small children, not superb shows to be letting a 4 year old watch.

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 02:53 PM
I've seen one episode of the Soprano's, half a season of 6 feet under and a hand full of episodes of Oz.

They were all good shows, just never got into them. GOt two small children, not superb shows to be letting a 4 year old watch.I, too, have three small children. Try putting Benadryl in their apple juice at dinner time. This seems to expedite their departure to bed on Sunday evenings, which--or course--in the best night for HBO viewing.

KronoRed
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
You drug the kids?!?!!

:lol:

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
You drug the kids?!?!!

:lol:My attorney has asked me to decline any further comments... ;)

Doc. Scott
09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
BTW, did anyone watch last week's Threshold? I can't believe no one's commented on it.

There was a key local reference.

What was it? Didn't see the show.

Raisor
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
My Name is Earl has been fantastic tonight. Three great LOL moments, and I hardly ever LOL during a sitcom.

TeamCasey
09-28-2005, 06:20 AM
What was it? Didn't see the show.

They were questioning this guy, who was originally from Loveland, Ohio. At one point in the conversation he used the word "please", in that unusual way that it's used here. The linguist picked up on it and said that the guy had to be lying because he nervously reverted back to a phrase only used in SW Ohio/Northern Kentucky, and he hadn't lived here in many years.

It was pretty funny.

savafan
09-28-2005, 10:39 AM
After only two episodes, so far I'm digging "How I Met Your Mother". It's a sweet funny comedy. Sadly, I see much of myself in the characters, but that's neither here nor there.

TeamBoone
09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
They were questioning this guy, who was originally from Loveland, Ohio. At one point in the conversation he used the word "please", in that unusual way that it's used here. The linguist picked up on it and said that the guy had to be lying because he nervously reverted back to a phrase only used in SW Ohio/Northern Kentucky, and he hadn't lived here in many years.

It was pretty funny.

He also noted that Loveland is just outside Cincinnati. The linguist said the "peculiarity" in speech is used commonly in southern Ohio and that out of stress he reverted back to it.

LoganBuck
09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I gave "Supernatural" a go last night and was definately entertained. My TV Schedule is getting full.
Monday no must see TV yet.
Tuesday 9 Supernatural 10 Nip/Tuck
Wednesday 9 Lost 10 Invasion or maybe that new CSI type show on CBS, South Park debuts in 3 weeks.
Thursday 9 CSI
Friday
Saturday College Football

Raisor
09-28-2005, 07:56 PM
After only two episodes, so far I'm digging "How I Met Your Mother". It's a sweet funny comedy. Sadly, I see much of myself in the characters, but that's neither here nor there.

I dig the fact that it's SAGET~! as the father 25 years in the future.

Bob Saget should be on every tv show in America.

KronoRed
09-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I thought he was? :D

Commander In Chief gets a C- from me, nice set up, but if the best they can have Donald Sutherland's character do is unplug the TelePrompter then the show will die a quick death.

TeamBoone
09-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Now, I haven't watched everything new... but of those I've watched, I have yet to see one I didn't like, especially the espionage stuff like Criminal Minds and E-Ring and the sci-fi ones.

Larkin Fan
09-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Criminal Minds is great. Shows that really explore the psychological end of the criminal element have always been lacking, imo. I was impressed by the first episode and will watch again tonight.

I've also been enjoying Fox's Prison Break. It's entertaining TV that keeps you guessing what's going to happen next.

Head Cases sucked. Probably why Fox pulled the plug after only two eppies. ;)

savafan
10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
After another episode of "How I Met Your Mother" I hope this show sticks around. It is really funny, and if you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

What night is "My Name is Earl" on?

Big Donkey
10-04-2005, 05:55 PM
What night is "My Name is Earl" on?

Tonight, sava. I believe 9pm on NBC, WDTN-2 in our neck of the woods.

Unassisted
10-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm still liking "Invasion," "Surface" and "E-Ring." My DVR can't seem to catch "Threshold" for some reason.

For those who watch shows live, I just read today that "E-Ring" will be switching places in the schedule permanently with Martha Stewart's "Apprentice" next week. They're both on the same night on NBC, but E-Ring will now precede it at 9:00/8:00 instead of following it.

TeamCasey
10-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I haven't seen E Ring. What's that one about.

I love Threshold, Surface and Invasion. Threshold will probably be my favorite of the 3.

Unassisted
10-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen E Ring. What's that one about.E-Ring is set in the Pentagon. Benjamin Bratt plays a Special Forces officer who gets promoted from Iraq to the Pentagon. Working with his commanding officer, a general played by Dennis Hopper, he takes initiative in starting new covert operations. Each of these operations must be approved unanimously by the Joint Chiefs, so a strong case must be made to convince the wizened generals. Along the way, Bratt's character steps on a lot of political toes and seems to put his career on the line with every episode, but so far, is always proven right in the end.

It's produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced or executive produced Top Gun, Flashdance and all of the CSI series. I'm sure it's unrealistic, but it's also full of technology, fast-paced and fun to watch.

Here's the web site. Beware of the music!
http://www.nbc.com/E-Ring/

GIK
10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
I'll give another hands-up to "Supernatural". Very good show, IMO.

LoganBuck
10-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Supernatural was very good again last night. I really enjoy it.

Watched some of Commander in Chief as well, I really didn't like it. It was too womany for my tastes. It was like Judging Amy with Kids, and a Husband. I am sure it plays well with women and old people. Not my sort of fair.

Dave Attells Insomniac Tour on Comedy Central was very funny. Fresh comedians I had never seen before. Did you know that the wheel on "The Price is Right" is filled with 3000 lbs of blood? Hilarious.