PDA

View Full Version : Best 70's Variety Show

RBA
09-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Poll up.

Post ones that I missed.

KittyDuran
09-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Did The Smothers Brothers Show go into the 70's? [OK, I looked it up... it went from 1967-1970 - I guess it qualifies :dunno:]

westofyou
09-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I know the worst one.

http://www.crazyaboutmovies.com/ImagesAOL/bradybunchhour.jpg

TeamMorris
09-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I had to go with Hee Haw. A few reasons...I use to watch it with my grandfather when I was a little girl (he died when I was 11) and because of all those on the list it's the only one I ever saw more than once :dunno:

How about "Sha Na Na"...that one I watched with my dad! We both LOVED it ;)

BoydsOfSummer
09-24-2005, 04:24 PM
"Room despair and agony on me
deep dark depression
excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all
Room despair and agony on me..."

Hee hee hee hee hee Haw HeeHaw!

RBA
09-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I thought Carol Burnett Show was going to win this one hands down. At least they are still in it.

redsfanmia
09-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I remember shields and yarnell freaking me out as a kid, man i hated that show, part of the reason why i still to this day fear mimes.

Raisor
09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
The Muppet Show should really be included

GAC
09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
the Dean Martin Show should have been on that poll. It ran from 1965-74. Loved the roasts, and especially Foster Brooks. :lol:

Redny
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
The Dean Martin roasts were very funny, Sonny and Cher was also pretty good sometimes, but Carol Burnett was consistently funny.

pedro
09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
This is kind of like voting for the best turd in the litter box.

flyer85
09-25-2005, 09:54 PM
This is kind of like voting for the best turd in the litter box.you are obviously lacking an appreciation of the finer things in life :D

pedro
09-25-2005, 10:01 PM
you are obviously lacking an appreciation of the finer things in life :D

Very true.

westofyou
09-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I think Pedro might be a little too young to appreciate the Variety Show and its power, it's really more of a 60's early 70's thing.

pedro
09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
I think Pedro might be a little too young to appreciate the Variety Show and its power, it's really more of a 60's early 70's thing.

I'm not too young to remember its' pain.

Actually I liked Carol Burnett when it was on.

Momma's family has made that hard to admit.

Falls City Beer
09-25-2005, 11:15 PM

Actually I liked Carol Burnett when it was on.

Momma's family has made that hard to admit.

How old is woy? He's got to be older than I am. Heck, he must be at least 40!

But don't feel bad, Pedro, I have no recollection of the Smothers Brothers show. Maybe Grampsie woy can fill us in on what we missed.

RFS62
09-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Allow me.

The Smothers Brothers, as dorky as they seem now, were in the forefront of the anti-Vietnam war movement.

They even had the premier of the Beatles "Hey Jude" on their show.

CBS considered them too controversial, and cancelled them, in spite of great ratings.

I guess you had to be there.

Falls City Beer
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, I chose Shields and Yarnell because 1) I remember it and 2) it pissed people off.

RFS62
09-25-2005, 11:25 PM
"Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" was my favorite.

westofyou
09-25-2005, 11:42 PM
How old is woy? He's got to be older than I am. Heck, he must be at least 40!

Yep....

You're too young to remember Flip Wilson, or the dancing bear on Andy Williams.

westofyou
09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
CBS considered them too controversial, and cancelled them, in spite of great ratings.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/t/th/the_smothers_brothers.htm
The latter show became increasingly controversial for its references to youth culture, racism, and the (A prolonged war (1954-1975) between the communist armies of North Vietnam who were supported by the Chinese and the non-communist armies of South Vietnam who were supported by the United States) Vietnam War, thus getting the comedians into regular conflicts with the network censors. The show also featured an impressive list of writers and regular performers who would eventually become some of the biggest names in comedy, like (Click link for more info and facts about Pat Paulsen) Pat Paulsen, (United States actor and comedian (born in 1945)) Steve Martin, (Click link for more info and facts about Don Novello) Don Novello, and (Click link for more info and facts about Rob Reiner) Rob Reiner. (Click link for more info and facts about CBS) CBS abruptly canceled the show on March 9, 1969, leading the brothers to file a successful breach of contract suit against the network. Despite the cancellation, the show went on to win the (Click link for more info and facts about Emmy Award) Emmy Award that year for best writing. The saga of the cancellation of the show is the subject of a 2002 documentary film, Smothered.

SandyD
09-26-2005, 12:44 AM
We were forced to watch the Jackie Gleason Show on Sat night. While eating hot dogs and chili on the floor in our pj's with wet hair.

Seems like Andy Williams must have come on at 8pm, because I remember listening to it, but not watching it. So I must have been in bed. But that was from the 60s.

Moon River. Sing a Rainbow. Try to remember a day is September. And so on.

pedro
09-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Yep....

You're too young to remember Flip Wilson, or the dancing bear on Andy Williams.

oh, I remember Geraldine.

GAC
09-26-2005, 08:17 AM
We were forced to watch the Jackie Gleason Show on Sat night.

Same here Sandy. Two of my dad's favorite shows were Gleason and Gunsmoke. We never missed them (and we weren't allowed to sit in his chair when they were on). Saturday night was also family pizza night (we made our own ;) ). I loved the Crazy Guggenheim with Joe the Bartender sketches...."LIVE FROM MIAMI BEACH!"

Another great one was the Red Skelton Show with such characters as Junior the Mean Widdle Kid (who was famous for his expression, "I Dood It"), country boy Clem Kadiddlehopper, Freddie the Freeloader, and seagulls Gertrude and Hecliff. Red was the king of slapstick and pantomime.

As Groucho Marx once said, Red Skelton is "the most unacclaimed clown in show business." Marx noted that by using only a soft, battered hat as a prop, Red could entertain with a dozen characters.

His show helped to spawn so many of the variety shows later on.

His signature closing line became "Good night and may God bless."

cumberlandreds
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
I voted for The Carol Burnett Show. I thought it was consistently more funny and entertaining than any of the other one's. It was at its best when Tim Conway was a regular member of the cast. There were a couple of season he wasn't on it and it suffered.
Carol Burnett was the end of the evening for me on saturday nights for quite a few years. I remember settling in with my parents,brothers and sister for a full evening of TV on CBS. Hee Haw was at 7 pm followed by All in the Family at 8. 8:30 is a liitle fuzzy to what was on. I think CBS tried a few different shows at this time slot. I'm thinking the Jeffersons finally settled in though. At 9 was The Mary Tyler Moore Show and at 9:30 was The Bob Newhart Show,this was the one in which he was a psychologist in Chicago. Then finally at 10 was the Carol Burnett Show and the variety of comic routines. Mama's family was my favorite skit and when they would do take offs on commercials. Ah for days of good clean fun on TV.