PDA

View Full Version : Chad Pennington--Done for the year...

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 10:30 AM
J-E-T-S, Jets...oh, nevermind. The season is over for New York.

Source: Jets QB out for the season
/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Jets quarterback Chad Pennington will miss the rest of the season because of a torn right rotator cuff, The Associated Press learned Monday night.

Pennington's injury was confirmed by a person with knowledge of his condition, but who declined to be identified because the team had not made an official announcement.

An MRI exam showed Pennington tore his rotator cuff in Sunday's 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville. The NFL Network originally reported the injury, the second time Pennington has had this tear in less than a year.

Pennington was expected to visit noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Alabama on Tuesday.

Brooks Bollinger was already considered to be the likely starter Sunday because of injuries to Pennington and backup Jay Fiedler.

Bollinger, in his third season with the Jets out of Wisconsin, has appeared in just one NFL game, last year against Arizona. He replaced an injured Quincy Carter in the Jets' 13-3 win and was 5-of-9 for 60 yards.

"I'm just going out to try and execute the plays that they call with knowing that I have an understanding of how to manage a football game and what I need to do to help the team win," Bollinger said. "I'm not trying to make it into rocket science."

Bollinger hasn't taken many reps since the season started, but had a lot of work during the preseason.

"He's a heady player, he's a gamer," Jets head coach Herm Edwards said. "He can move around a little bit and make some plays with his legs. He's been a guy who's been here and he's been looking for a chance."

At Wisconsin, Bollinger broke the school record for quarterbacks with 518 carries for 1,767 yards rushing and 26 touchdowns, and was just one of seven Big Ten passers to win 30 games in his career.

"I played at a fairly big college, but I think when you're in the NFL and in New York, there's a lot more that goes into playing quarterback than just on the field," he said. "I have to eliminate any outside distractions I can this week and just worry about what I need to do on the football field."

WMR
09-27-2005, 10:52 AM
What will all the HOMERS on ESPN do now?????

I wish someone would send Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike a damn violin and tell him to shut the heck up. His stupid show broadcasts far and wide. As hard as it is to believe, he is being broadcast to audiences OUTSIDE of the NY metropolitan area.

He labelled today a "Downcast Tuesday"

I was thinking to myself.. "Hmmm, my team's sitting pretty at 3-0. Speak for yourself, homer."

He spends half his show whining about the Jets. Ugh. That guy really gets on my nerves.

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
What will all the HOMERS on ESPN do now?????

I wish someone would send Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike a damn violin and tell him to shut the heck up. His stupid show broadcasts far and wide.

He labelled today a "Downcast Tuesday"

I was thinking to myself.. "Hmmm, my team's sitting pretty at 3-0. Speak for yourself, homer."

He spends half his show whining about the Jets. Ugh. That guy really gets on my nerves.Tell Mike that he has nothing to fear...Fox Sports is reporting that the Jets might ask....(wait for it)....Vinny Testaverde to report to camp...or at least, Vinny is receptive anyway. Apparently, he was contacted by the Jets while golfing at Del Boca Vista (Phase IV).

VINNY FROM QUEENS? The Jets could be in the market for a quarterback. How about Vinny Testaverde?

The former Jets QB, who still lives on Long Island, isn't ready to retire and would like to catch on with a team this season. Testaverde would be interested if the Jets call, but that hadn't happened as of last night, according to his agent, Mike Azzarelli.

WMR
09-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Tell Mike that he has nothing to fear...Fox Sports is reporting that the Jets might ask....(wait for it)....Vinny Testaverde to report to camp...or at least, Vinny is receptive anyway. Apparently, he was contacted by the Jets while golfing at Del Boca Vista (Phase IV).

Vinny's getting his physical as we speak!!

http://www.edu.linkoping.se/malfors/vision/Optik%20Nicaragua%202000/Old%20Man%20examine.jpg

Chip R
09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I feel bad for Pennington and Fiedler but this couldn't happen to a nicer team. :lol:

NJReds
09-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I think they'll sign Doug Johnson and try to cherry-pick a QB off some team's practice squad to be the third stringer.

Then, if they manage not to tank it, they might try to work out a deal for Patrick Ramsey. I've heard Volek's name mentioned, but I doubt the Titans would deal him unless the Jets really overpaid.

WMR
09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey I heard that Jeff George is available!!! :laugh:

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Tim Couch must have end stage Herpes at this point in his playing career.

NJReds
09-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Tim Couch must have end stage Herpes at this point in his playing career.

He's still recovering from a shoulder injury, from what I heard yesterday. Similar injury to Chad's first injury.

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
He's still recovering from a shoulder injury, from what I heard yesterday. Similar injury to Chad's first injury.Sounds like that is the prevailing trend with news reports on Couch. Go figure, cause his brother/agent (not exaggerating) was quoted 2-3 weeks ago as saying that his shoulder was in great shape. In fact, there was even talk about Couch signing a backup deal with the Dolphins upon the eve of the regular season beginning....

NJReds
09-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Jets have a press conference scheduled for later apparently to announce the signing of Vinnie Testaverde.

Newsday Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0928,0,5616742.story?coll=ny-homepage-bigpix2005)

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Jets have a press conference scheduled for later apparently to announce the signing of Vinnie Testaverde.As a Miami Dolphins fan, I would like to be the first to congratulate all Jets fans on such an exciting day... :party: :clap: :drink: :thisyear:

Chip R
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I hear Uncle Rico is available. ;)

Blimpie
09-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Courtesy of NJReds...

Vinny returning to Jets

BY KEN BERGER AND JON HEYMAN
STAFF WRITERS

September 27, 2005, 11:35 AM EDT

It is shades of 1999, with the role reversed. Vinny Testaverde is returning to the Jets and will attempt to lead them out of one of the darkest periods in their history.

In a 2 p.m. news conference, Testaverde, 41, will be re-introduced to the team and city that witnessed his triumphant 1998 season immediately followed by the 1999 opener in which his season-ending Achilles injury crushed the Jets' Super Bowl hopes.

How fitting, then, that Testaverde will attempt to pick up the pieces for the Jets, who have lost Chad Pennington and Jay Fielder for the season with shoulder injuries.

The Jets also worked out Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, and Jonathan Quinn today and may sign one of them, too. Pennington, feared to have torn the right rotator cuff that was surgically repaired only seven months ago, is certainly out for the year. The Jets won't be able to wait out Fiedler's injury, which is believed to require as long as a 10-week recovery.

The signing of Testaverde was an about-face from the way the Jets were thinking yesterday, when they were focused on acquiring an experienced but younger replacement for Pennington. The extent of Fiedler's injury, along with limited options through free agency or a trade, made Testaverde more appealing.

Given that Testaverde hasn't thrown a pass in a game since Jan. 2, a 28-24 loss to the Giants, it seems almost certain that coach Herman Edwards will stick with Brooks Bollinger as the starter this Sunday at Baltimore. But Testaverde, who has stayed in shape while waiting for a starting job to open up, would be ready to go soon after that.

Testaverde played six seasons with the Jets from 1998-2003, leading them to the AFC Championship game in 1998. He became an unrestricted free agent in March after starting 15 games for Bill Parcells in Dallas last season, passing for 3,532 yards and 17 touchdowns with 20 interceptions.

He hasn't thrown a pass for the Jets since Week 8 of the 2003 season, when he was lifted in the middle of a game against the Eagles to make way for Pennington's return from a fractured left wrist. Pennington could not duplicate his heroics of 2002, when he replaced Testaverde after a 1-3 start and rallied the Jets to a 9-7 record and AFC East title. Pretty quick courtship--even for the Green Testicle. It must be even worse than imagined with the Gator rejects (Doug Johnson and The Bachelor)

GAC
09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
I wonder what Jet season tickets are going for on Ebay with the signing of Vinny? :lol:

KronoRed
09-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Vinny!!

I thought he retired 5 years ago :D

Raisor
09-27-2005, 05:30 PM
My Amanda is in mourning right now.

She's a major league Jets fan.

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I hear Uncle Rico is available.

What do you want to bet he can throw a ball over those mountains?

princeton
09-27-2005, 05:56 PM
If Bowden was Bengals' GM, he'd be offering the Jets Kitna for a five-tool punter

If DanO was Bengals' GM, he'd be offering the Jets, well, wait a minute, Kitna would be the starter; coach LeBeau would still be under evaluation along with Chad; he'd get back to the Jets in another 10 years

WMR
09-27-2005, 05:57 PM

http://g.myspace.com/00045/86/01/45581068_m.jpg

Chip R
09-27-2005, 06:10 PM
If Coach would have put him in in the fourth quarter, they would have been state champs.

Blimpie
09-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Okay. Now I am confused. I Just heard on the radio that Dr. James Andrews evaluated Pennington's rotator cuff more thoroughly and now is not certain whether or not it is actually torn. If not, then there is a chance that Chad could return to action this season and Vinny could return to Del Boca Vista (Phase IV).

(in my best Walter Cronkite voice)

"Let's try to get the story straight here, people!"

Blimpie
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
This just in--Sybil, er..I mean, Dr. James Andrews wants a mulligan on that rotator cuff diagnosis. I believe he is just enjoying putting all Jets fans through torture.

Doctor: Pennington has torn rotator cuff
/ Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - Jets quarterback Chad Pennington got the same opinion on his right shoulder from noted orthopedist James Andrews: his rotator cuff is torn.

Pennington visited Andrews on Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala., and had an arthogram, where dye is injected into the joint and X-rayed to detect any tears. Andrews, who repaired Pennington's shoulder earlier this year, conferred with the Jets' medical staff and agreed there was a tear, the team said in a statement Wednesday.
Pennington will be treated with rest and rehab to see how his shoulder responds, and will be re-evaluated by Andrews in two to three weeks, the Jets said.

A Jets source told FOX Sports' Jay Glazer Tuesday that the news regarding Pennington's examination could have been worse.

"At least we know it's not a career-threatening thing," the source said. "That's encouraging and we'll go from there. We also have to see where Chad wants to go with this before anyone makes a decision on putting him down for the year."

Backup Jay Fiedler dislocated his right shoulder on Sunday, when Pennington was reinjured, though coach Herman Edwards said there is a chance Fiedler could return this season.

Pennington tore his rotator cuff last November and had surgery in February. He has never played a full season as a starter, after also injuring his wrist in the 2003 preseason.