2.Eric Dickerson
3.Walter Payton
4.Jim Brown
5.OJ Simpson

savafan
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
3. Emmit Smith
4. Sanders

I'm not going to say that your opinion is wrong, because, well it's your opinion. However, I'm curious why you rank Smith ahead of Sanders.

RedsBaron
09-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I have got to go with Payton as number one. As great as he was, I don't believe that Jim Brown was as complete a player as Payton, who was better as a blocker, receiver and passer than Brown. Brown was probably the greater runner.
My list:
1. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Barry Sanders
4. O.J. Simpson
5. Gale Sayers

WMR
09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
1) Barry Sanders
2) Walter Payton
3) LaDainian Tomlinson
4) O.J. Simpson
5) Jim Brown

Blimpie
09-28-2005, 11:19 AM
To me, this is a really subjective question. Sorry, but I have to qualify almost everything I say in order to keep from sounding like an idiot...

Best Stats on Paper
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Emmitt Smith
4) Marshall Faulk (tie)
4) Eric Dickerson (tie)

Best RB in Super Bowls
1) Emmitt Smith
2) Franco Harris
3) Tony Dorsett
4) Roger Craig

Most Consistent
1) Jim Brown
2) Emmitt Smith
3) Barry Sanders
4) Jerome Bettis

Most Feared by Opponents
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) OJ Simpson
4) Bo Jackson

Most Electrifying Runners
1) Barry Sanders
2) Gayle Sayers
3) OJ Simpson
4) Eric Metcalf

Ones I Would Stop to Watch Whenever Their Team Had the Ball
1) Walter Payton
2) Barry Sanders
3) Ladainian Tomlinson
4) Cadillac Anderson

Puffy
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
(1) Walter Payton
(2) Barry Sanders
(3) Jim Brown
(4) OJ Simpson
(5) Gale Sayers

Top 5 I have watched (Brown and Sayers and OJ - all before my time)

(1) Payton
(2) Sanders
(3) E. Smith
(4) Tomlison (with a chance to move up this list rather easily)
(5) Bo Jackson - career cut short, and lost time due to Baseball, but dude could do amazing things on the football field.

RedFanAlways1966
09-28-2005, 12:24 PM
(1) Rudi Johnson
(2) James Brooks
(3) Pete Johnson
(4) Essex Johnson
(5) Ickey Woods

Who says these Bengals fans are making a big-to-do over this undefeated-so-far thing?!?! Corey who?

:devil:

savafan
09-28-2005, 12:31 PM
(2) James Brooks

I used to love watching Brooks run the football. Of course this was back in my days as a Bengal fan before my cousin converted me to a Browns fan.

IowaRed
09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
1-Jim Brown
2-Walter Payton
3-Barry Sanders
4-OJ Simpson
5-Gale Sayers

hard to leave the all-time leading rusher off the list but nobody I've ever seen had open field running ability of Sayers

WMR
09-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I used to love watching Brooks run the football. Of course this was back in my days as a Bengal fan before my cousin converted me to a Browns fan.

You poor soul.

http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/irvinem/technoculture/resources/theater_scene.gif

;)

savafan
09-28-2005, 12:42 PM
You poor soul.

http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/irvinem/technoculture/resources/theater_scene.gif

;)

A Clockwork Orange...and Brown.

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Earl Campbell was certainly one of the most feared running backs when he played in Houston.

I love that film clip of him putting his helmet square into a linebacker's chest and practically stopping the poor guy's heart.

Blimpie
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Earl Campbell was certainly one of the most feared running backs when he played in Houston.

I love that film clip of him putting his helmet square into a linebacker's chest and practically stopping the poor guy's heart.I dunno how on Earth I forgot Earl Campbell... :bang: My other favorite Earl clip is the one where about six defenders each got a piece of his jersey (literally) and he steamrolled into the endzone from about the ten yardline. Not that noteworthy, except that all he had on his upper body at the time he scored were his shoulder pads. :D

IowaRed
09-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I love that film clip of him putting his helmet square into a linebacker's chest and practically stopping the poor guy's heart.

I believe that was Isiah Robertson of the Rams who was on the receiving end of Mr. Campbell's helmet.

flyer85
09-28-2005, 01:41 PM
On talent

Brown
Sanders
Sayers
Payton
Simpson

cumberlandreds
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not going to say that your opinion is wrong, because, well it's your opinion. However, I'm curious why you rank Smith ahead of Sanders.

I'm a Cowboy fan so I am prejudiced. :D

Also I think he was just a tougher back. If Sanders had played longer he may have ranked higher on my list.

Caveat Emperor
09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
1. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Gayle Sayers
4. Eric Dickerson
5. Jerome Bettis

Blimpie
09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm a Cowboy fan so I am prejudiced. :D

Also I think he was just a tougher back. If Sanders had played longer he may have ranked higher on my list.Because I am a huge Emmitt Smith fan, I can say this with a clear conscience: If Barry Sanders played with the offensive line that Emmitt did in Dallas, then the rushing record would be Barry's and would be damn near unreachable.

KronoRed
09-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

Puffy
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Billy Sims was another who could have been an all time great (top 5 - he already is an all time great) if an injury did not cut his career short.

I loved watching Billy Sims play - he made the Thanksgiving day games awesome.

IowaRed
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Billy Sims was another who could have been an all time great (top 5 - he already is an all time great) if an injury did not cut his career short.

I loved watching Billy Sims play - he made the Thanksgiving day games awesome.

Don't know if you are old enough but if you think he was great in the NFL, watching him play for Oklahoma was incredible. I loved watching those late 70's and 80's wishbone teams and even chose #6 in 8th grade football because that's the number QB Thomas Lott wore.

Jeremy Piergallini
09-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I will only talk about those that I have seen play. I never got to see Sayers or Brown run. I'll go modern day.

1) Payton
2) Sanders
3) Dickerson
4) Emmitt
5) Bo Jackson (talent was there, hip wasn't)

Heath
09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
(1) Rudi Johnson
(2) James Brooks
(3) Pete Johnson
(4) Essex Johnson
(5) Ickey Woods

Who says these Bengals fans are making a big-to-do over this undefeated-so-far thing?!?! Corey who?

:devil:

You forgot Paul Robinson and Boobie Clark....Essex and Ickey had nothing on those two.

http://www.instantreplaysportcard.com/items/helmets/'68-79%20bengals%202%20bar.jpg

BTW -

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Franco Harris
Eric Dickerson

Injuries stopped them way too early

Billy Sims
Gale Sayers
Earl Campbell

ochre
09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Amazingly enough, Emmit Smith is vastly underrated. The reason I'd prefer him to Sanders is that he was more reliable. He very seldom was stopped for a loss and he appeared more flexible (perhaps that was a function of the Cowboys offense as a whole). It always seemed to me that for every crazy run Sanders would make he'd kill a drive or two be dancing behind the line of scrimage.

I consider Brooks vastly underrated too.

1. Payton
2. Smith
3. Brown
4. Sayers
5. Brooks (he's my homer choice :))

ochre
09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
You forgot Paul Robinson and Boobie Clark....Essex and Ickey had nothing on those two.

http://www.instantreplaysportcard.com/items/helmets/%2768-79%20bengals%202%20bar.jpg

and Larry Kinnebrew.

Stewie
09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Amazingly enough, Emmit Smith is vastly underrated. The reason I'd prefer him to Sanders is that he was more reliable. He very seldom was stopped for a loss and he appeared more flexible (perhaps that was a function of the Cowboys offense as a whole). It always seemed to me that for every crazy run Sanders would make he'd kill a drive or two be dancing behind the line of scrimage.
)

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that the Cowboys o-line during Smith's days was far better than Detroit's o-line during Barry's career. Also, defenses had to respect the Cowboys' other weapons, because if they loaded up against the run, then Aikman could kill them by passing to guys like Irvin and Novacek. Barry Sanders had to deal with such legendary QBs as Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer, Scott Mitchell, and for a few disastrous games, Andre Ware. Not to take anything away from Emmitt Smith, he was a great RB (despite my hatred for him), but I think he had a LOT more help than Sanders did.

My top 5:
Sanders
Payton
Simpson
Brown
Van Buren

westofyou
09-28-2005, 06:45 PM
and Larry Kinnebrew.

And Lenvil Elliot

Hap
09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
James Brooks made it to four Pro Bowls in five years in an era when the AFC had several outstanding running backs. The only year he didn't make it in that stretch was 1987, the strike year when he was also injured half the year.

He was mortal on grass, but out of this world on AstroTurf. I don't have to sing his praise here, because I assume we are all Bengals fans and we all saw him in his prime. For those of you who didn't, I will just say that he was the complete package.

I suppose his involvement in the gang rape in Seattle ruined his career and his chances of making it to Canton.